Ducati less expensive than a dirt bike...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/27/2017 7:22 AM

Just an observation, having a mid life crisis and shopping Ducati's (848), as I'm surfing craigslist I realize I can get a pretty good Ducati 848 for less than a new KTM 450 sxf....crazy (currently own a 250sx which cost me 7200)...

|

12/27/2017 7:25 AM

Are you comparing new dirt bikes to used street bikes?

|

12/27/2017 7:30 AM

yes, I know, I know, not comparable, I just find it amazing I can get a 4 year old Ducati cheaper than a new Dirtbike.

|

12/27/2017 7:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 7:33 AM

Not surprising to me. It doesn’t seem like street bikes hold their value that well. Now how does it compare to a 4 year old used dirt bike KTM?

|

12/27/2017 7:34 AM

I just bought a 15 year old Suburban for less than a new dirtbike...crazy

|

12/27/2017 7:42 AM

Kind of apples to oranges, but I think you get a lot more bang for your buck with streetbikes. I think dirtbikes are way overpriced for what you are getting. Unless you NEED a new 450F for competitive racing, complete waste of money IMO. 9k buys you a kickass street bike.

|

12/27/2017 7:47 AM

That's because it's a Ducati, not exactly reliable & parts are mega expensive. Do you know where your local Ducati dealer is? No, thought not because there's hardly any around.

|

12/27/2017 7:49 AM

Its a ducati. Theyre junk and overpriced like others said.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

12/27/2017 7:51 AM

2018 Duacti Scrambler Icon
2018 KTM 450SX-F

Same price in Sweden. But the Ducati is ancient compard to the KTM.

|

#1
KX125

12/27/2017 7:55 AM

HenryA wrote:

2018 Duacti Scrambler Icon
2018 KTM 450SX-F

Same price in Sweden. But the Ducati is ancient compard to the KTM.

The yellow Scrambler is beautiful though....

|

12/27/2017 8:20 AM

How about more apples to apples, Ktm rc 390 Vs Ktm 125sx
390 msrp 5499
125sx 6900

125 components, cheap plastic body work, no lights, no gauges, no efi, no electric start, no battery, no passenger seat, passenger pegs, no keyed ignition.

390 components.
Efi four stroke engine, more expensive painted body work, more expensive metal tank, efi, fuel pump, lights, e start, gauges, speedo, tach and more, street legal dot testing and ratings, would see much more complex and expensive parts included and msrp is $1400 less.

Yes it's made in Indonesia , yes the suspension is likely lower spec, but still the rest is quite sophisticated compared to a stripped down 2 stroke 125.

|

12/27/2017 8:23 AM

Compare new dirt bike prices to top of the line mountain or road bikes and tell me if that doesn't make you scratch your head.

|

12/27/2017 8:33 AM

yz133rider wrote:

How about more apples to apples, Ktm rc 390 Vs Ktm 125sx
390 msrp 5499
125sx 6900

125 components, cheap plastic body work, no lights, no gauges, no efi, no electric start, no battery, no passenger seat, passenger pegs, no keyed ignition.

390 components.
Efi four stroke engine, more expensive painted body work, more expensive metal tank, efi, fuel pump, lights, e start, gauges, speedo, tach and more, street legal dot testing and ratings, would see much more complex and expensive parts included and msrp is $1400 less.

Yes it's made in Indonesia , yes the suspension is likely lower spec, but still the rest is quite sophisticated compared to a stripped down 2 stroke 125.

Apples to apples would be the 450sxf vs the superduke 1290r. 1290 is a 22k bike

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

12/27/2017 8:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 8:51 AM

New dirt bikes are expensive.

|

12/27/2017 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 8:56 AM

My first and only bike is a 13 ktm 250sx with the standard offroad mods and its worth more than all the cars/suvs/trucks ive owned lol minus one 260whp time attack built civic hatch

|

12/27/2017 9:06 AM

yz133rider wrote:

How about more apples to apples, Ktm rc 390 Vs Ktm 125sx
390 msrp 5499
125sx 6900

125 components, cheap plastic body work, no lights, no gauges, no efi, no electric start, no battery, no passenger seat, passenger pegs, no keyed ignition.

390 components.
Efi four stroke engine, more expensive painted body work, more expensive metal tank, efi, fuel pump, lights, e start, gauges, speedo, tach and more, street legal dot testing and ratings, would see much more complex and expensive parts included and msrp is $1400 less.

Yes it's made in Indonesia , yes the suspension is likely lower spec, but still the rest is quite sophisticated compared to a stripped down 2 stroke 125.

Acidreamer wrote:

Apples to apples would be the 450sxf vs the superduke 1290r. 1290 is a 22k bike

No mine is plenty apples to apples. Math still doesn't add up

|

12/27/2017 9:12 AM

yz133rider wrote:

How about more apples to apples, Ktm rc 390 Vs Ktm 125sx
390 msrp 5499
125sx 6900

125 components, cheap plastic body work, no lights, no gauges, no efi, no electric start, no battery, no passenger seat, passenger pegs, no keyed ignition.

390 components.
Efi four stroke engine, more expensive painted body work, more expensive metal tank, efi, fuel pump, lights, e start, gauges, speedo, tach and more, street legal dot testing and ratings, would see much more complex and expensive parts included and msrp is $1400 less.

Yes it's made in Indonesia , yes the suspension is likely lower spec, but still the rest is quite sophisticated compared to a stripped down 2 stroke 125.

Crazy right?

|

12/27/2017 9:13 AM

303MX wrote:

Compare new dirt bike prices to top of the line mountain or road bikes and tell me if that doesn't make you scratch your head.

This!!

You got that right. I can't believe how much top of the line mountain bikes cost.
Talk about not getting much for your money. lol

Way overpriced.

|

12/27/2017 9:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 9:17 AM

What new street bike can you buy for even close to 10 grand that is capable of winning, or even qualifying for a professional race?

|

12/27/2017 9:19 AM

yz133rider wrote:

How about more apples to apples, Ktm rc 390 Vs Ktm 125sx
390 msrp 5499
125sx 6900

125 components, cheap plastic body work, no lights, no gauges, no efi, no electric start, no battery, no passenger seat, passenger pegs, no keyed ignition.

390 components.
Efi four stroke engine, more expensive painted body work, more expensive metal tank, efi, fuel pump, lights, e start, gauges, speedo, tach and more, street legal dot testing and ratings, would see much more complex and expensive parts included and msrp is $1400 less.

Yes it's made in Indonesia , yes the suspension is likely lower spec, but still the rest is quite sophisticated compared to a stripped down 2 stroke 125.

India, by Bajaj.

It's not just component costs or the wages of the people screwing them together. I applied to a couple of the Indian bike brands over ten years ago and the going rate for a Design Engineer was £4000pa, at best. The company that employed me at home paid 8 times that. So one is 100% designed and developed by well paid and trained Engineers in Austria. The other by poorly paid Engineers in India.

Also there are import duties from different countries to consider. Here a 125SX is £5300. The RC390 is £5100. A £200/$300 difference.

|

12/27/2017 12:16 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Not surprising to me. It doesn’t seem like street bikes hold their value that well. Now how does it compare to a 4 year old used dirt bike KTM?

And the 848 is old Duc technology. Those engines used timing belts and required more frequent valve checks than the current 959 Panigale valvetrain which has timing chains.

|

12/27/2017 12:17 PM

303MX wrote:

Compare new dirt bike prices to top of the line mountain or road bikes and tell me if that doesn't make you scratch your head.

Indy mxer wrote:

This!!

You got that right. I can't believe how much top of the line mountain bikes cost.
Talk about not getting much for your money. lol

Way overpriced.

Yeah I never understood those bike prices.

|

12/27/2017 12:46 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Not surprising to me. It doesn’t seem like street bikes hold their value that well. Now how does it compare to a 4 year old used dirt bike KTM?

backinthesaddleagain wrote:

And the 848 is old Duc technology. Those engines used timing belts and required more frequent valve checks than the current 959 Panigale valvetrain which has timing chains.

Frankly they weren’t that good either. My cbr did everything better than a friends 848.

Don’t buy one of those unless you want it to leave you stranded eventually.

|

12/27/2017 1:09 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Not surprising to me. It doesn’t seem like street bikes hold their value that well. Now how does it compare to a 4 year old used dirt bike KTM?

backinthesaddleagain wrote:

And the 848 is old Duc technology. Those engines used timing belts and required more frequent valve checks than the current 959 Panigale valvetrain which has timing chains.

Flatliner wrote:

Frankly they weren’t that good either. My cbr did everything better than a friends 848.

Don’t buy one of those unless you want it to leave you stranded eventually.

Exactly, unless you wanted the snob factor. A girl I used to work with had a boyfriend who bought one but probably never tipped the thing into a corner. When the new 636 came out I said to him that's going to be a great bike and he immediately dismissed it. I bought it and have done many track days and street miles on it. His 848 a garage queen even though he said he bought it to do track days.

My CBR600 was a better all around bike and track bike off the showroom floor.

|

12/27/2017 1:12 PM

yz133rider wrote:

How about more apples to apples, Ktm rc 390 Vs Ktm 125sx
390 msrp 5499
125sx 6900

125 components, cheap plastic body work, no lights, no gauges, no efi, no electric start, no battery, no passenger seat, passenger pegs, no keyed ignition.

390 components.
Efi four stroke engine, more expensive painted body work, more expensive metal tank, efi, fuel pump, lights, e start, gauges, speedo, tach and more, street legal dot testing and ratings, would see much more complex and expensive parts included and msrp is $1400 less.

Yes it's made in Indonesia , yes the suspension is likely lower spec, but still the rest is quite sophisticated compared to a stripped down 2 stroke 125.

This. No one can argue that dirt bike manufacturers have priced themselves into this slump. I'd have 2 bikes if they weren't stupidily priced

|

12/27/2017 1:59 PM

Ducais suck. I owned a 1098 last year thought it was the greatest decision of my life after owning many different street bikes before. Horrible decision I sold it after 3 months. The v twin puts a cylinder right under your balls along with the undertail exhaust = nuts of fire in traffic. On top of that they absolutely hate going the speed limit and the clutch overheats in traffic after like 15 minutes. They look good but Ive never hated riding a motorcycle before besides that bike. I thought the torque would make it funner for going slow but it actually makes it worse because it gets up to the speed limit so fast. Immediately you also notice that the way the seat is angled makes you literally sit on your nuts against the gas tank...hitting bumps is baaaad news. Add that angle into your riding position and your wrists are gone in 10 mins. When your riding you have the throttle cracked as little as it can possibly be open like 1/1000th of a turn and your still doing 10 over but it feels like your doing 10mph. R1s dont have as much low end so at least you kind of have a spot where you need to put some power on, with the Ducati not so much. Hell my F4I I had like 10 years ago was more fun tbh. I dont know what it was but the combo of being on fire heat wise is so uncomfortable, then add that they absolutely hate anything but wide open highway riding and they're not fun. If you like riding in 2nd gear at 1 millionth of a throttle turn and still breaking the speed limit go for it. If I rode tracks I would buy one again but for nothing other than that, theyre not meant for the street. Opening it up on the highway is fun but every single car and bike sees your on a Ducati and wants to race so you end up with that problem too. Idk just wasnt for me and sold that and happily bought a husky FC250.

|

12/27/2017 2:20 PM

303MX wrote:

Compare new dirt bike prices to top of the line mountain or road bikes and tell me if that doesn't make you scratch your head.

Indy mxer wrote:

This!!

You got that right. I can't believe how much top of the line mountain bikes cost.
Talk about not getting much for your money. lol

Way overpriced.

backinthesaddleagain wrote:

Yeah I never understood those bike prices.

Yeah....spendy numbers those MTB. Seems that for every pound of weight you go below 30lbs it adds $1000.00 to the price.

Shaving weight is expensive...better buying a $2000.00 bike with great components that weighs 30lbs and then use it to lose 10lbs of body fat.

|

12/27/2017 2:30 PM

Also remember economy of scale, I bet there are 1000+ road bikes sold for every mx bike sold.

|

12/27/2017 2:34 PM

Ducati = ducrapi

|

12/27/2017 4:56 PM

drt410 wrote:

Ducais suck. I owned a 1098 last year thought it was the greatest decision of my life after owning many different street bikes before. Horrible decision I sold it after 3 months. The v twin puts a cylinder right under your balls along with the undertail exhaust = nuts of fire in traffic. On top of that they absolutely hate going the speed limit and the clutch overheats in traffic after like 15 minutes. They look good but Ive never hated riding a motorcycle before besides that bike. I thought the torque would make it funner for going slow but it actually makes it worse because it gets up to the speed limit so fast. Immediately you also notice that the way the seat is angled makes you literally sit on your nuts against the gas tank...hitting bumps is baaaad news. Add that angle into your riding position and your wrists are gone in 10 mins. When your riding you have the throttle cracked as little as it can possibly be open like 1/1000th of a turn and your still doing 10 over but it feels like your doing 10mph. R1s dont have as much low end so at least you kind of have a spot where you need to put some power on, with the Ducati not so much. Hell my F4I I had like 10 years ago was more fun tbh. I dont know what it was but the combo of being on fire heat wise is so uncomfortable, then add that they absolutely hate anything but wide open highway riding and they're not fun. If you like riding in 2nd gear at 1 millionth of a throttle turn and still breaking the speed limit go for it. If I rode tracks I would buy one again but for nothing other than that, theyre not meant for the street. Opening it up on the highway is fun but every single car and bike sees your on a Ducati and wants to race so you end up with that problem too. Idk just wasnt for me and sold that and happily bought a husky FC250.

In a very general sense though , every litre bike is too much for the street. Your right though the duc’s sure run warm. They’re also overpriced plain and simple. They’re sexy to look at, but its still an Italian. Odd issues pop up.

I considered a 959. But the real world reviews are still the same ole Ducati stuff. Now the v4 is super interesting but it’s going to be too expensive, and have issues too I’d bet.

I’d love an rsv4 but for cost, fit and finish , options, the s1000rr is still hard to beat.

|