Dual torn ACL's ๐ŸŽ‰

duboiz
9/1/2020 3:53pm
Complete tear on my right and partial tear on my left. I'm only getting surgery on my right knee for now. Probably going with the patellar tendon graft method, but would like to hear some opinions of people that have gone this method or others. Any recommendations of surgeons in the Los Angeles area that are familiar with the moto community and produce good ACL surgery results would be great too. Thanks!
|
captmoto
9/1/2020 4:14pm
Google Kerlin Jobe. They do lots of sports teams in L.A. Not moto specific but they are a really fine group of surgeons.
mister2dt
9/1/2020 4:42pm
Ive had patellar, cadaver and my latest was a quad. When i have my right done this fall, im going quad again. Cadaver lasted 6 years and was strong, patellar was soso strong, lasted 4 years, hence getting done again. Quad is by far the strongest i have felt. Takes more recovery as your quad atrophies, but a good PT team Can work that out in no time. Compared to the cadaver, im about 3 months ahead on recovery and strength.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
9/1/2020 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 6:14pm
Sitting on a full ACL tear and medial meniscus tear myself. Surgery is scheduled for October 15th.

I had my other knee done in 2007 with the patella graft, and it gave no rotational stability with the way they did the surgery back then, so I tore my meniscus in 2015. I had a second ACL put in and used my hamstring then.

My upcoming one will be from my hamstring. My guy does Detroit sports teams and is a stud.

My biggest complaint with my first reconstructed knee is the mobility. Canโ€™t bend it much past 90 degrees. Itโ€™s also super sensitive where they took the bone plug out of the knee cap, and the scar there is painful to kneel on.... so Iโ€™m worried I wonโ€™t have a good knee to kneel on - and am hoping that this non-patella repair will prevent that.
str8line
9/1/2020 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 9:16am
I tore the ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL in my left knee. Besides an OATS allograft 8 years after my original surgery my knee has been pretty good, with heavy use. It's been 10 years since the allograft.

If I had to do it again I would not have done the patellar because every once in a while I get patellar tendonitis. Don't cause another injury to fix a current one... go cadaver.

The Shop

9/1/2020 5:55pm
Complete acl Rt knee tearin 96. Used my patella, I had problems getting range back, but eventually did. Get a surgeon that works with nfl players. A Gbay packer surgeon did mine, very stable knee. Good Luck
mister2dt
9/1/2020 6:20pm
Complete acl Rt knee tearin 96. Used my patella, I had problems getting range back, but eventually did. Get a surgeon that works with nfl players...
Complete acl Rt knee tearin 96. Used my patella, I had problems getting range back, but eventually did. Get a surgeon that works with nfl players. A Gbay packer surgeon did mine, very stable knee. Good Luck
For sure find an NFL surgeon. Mine is Jason Craft. Works with the N.O. Saints and several SEC schools. Even better if you get one that works with receivers and running backs. The surgery is based around their familiarity. And the recovery/ PT is based around agility and mobility then strength. My latest one was done in April, ACL, MCL, PCL, Meniscus. My range of bend is above normal again, -10 hyper extension to 152 bend. Was at -10 and 132 3 weeks post op. All attributed to the surgeon and the PT team. Find a solid sports PT group.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
9/1/2020 6:25pm
I tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus in 1997. I had a cadaver replacement. Joined the Army in 2004, my knee is all jacked up now, they say the only surgery they can do is knee replacement. I was able to get a CTI custom brace to get through the new pt test. Iโ€™ve got about 3 more years until retirement. Hopefully it holds up!
CG118
9/1/2020 7:06pm
Complete acl Rt knee tearin 96. Used my patella, I had problems getting range back, but eventually did. Get a surgeon that works with nfl players...
mister2dt wrote:
For sure find an NFL surgeon. Mine is Jason Craft. Works with the N.O. Saints and several SEC schools. Even better if you get one that...
For sure find an NFL surgeon. Mine is Jason Craft. Works with the N.O. Saints and several SEC schools. Even better if you get one that works with receivers and running backs. The surgery is based around their familiarity. And the recovery/ PT is based around agility and mobility then strength. My latest one was done in April, ACL, MCL, PCL, Meniscus. My range of bend is above normal again, -10 hyper extension to 152 bend. Was at -10 and 132 3 weeks post op. All attributed to the surgeon and the PT team. Find a solid sports PT group.
Which PT clinic did you go to? We travel to Madison often to see my sister-in-law and family. I know a dude there that has several clinics, north of Jackson. Just wondering.
9/1/2020 7:08pm
3 acls on both knees so far. Patella grafts on 1st 2. Cadavers on last 4. Tore them both again 11yrs ago and live fine without. Still ride every weekend. Yes lots of pain but not willing to stop living moto life until i find something better.
cjgarza21
9/1/2020 7:24pm
Torn ACL, Meniscus, and a broken knee cap on my left leg in 2012. Went with the patella graft, and didnโ€™t have any problems. About a year after my surgery, my budddies would joke that they swapped my knee with Derrick Roseโ€™s since I came out with stronger legs than before. 8 years later and still no problems. Although I am expecting to run into some arthritis in the next few years since they removed my meniscusโ€™s instead of repairing them.
Moto520
9/1/2020 7:31pm
I went cadaver route on my ACL. 2.5 months off the bike and a very slow return to full riding. Very tough rehab injury. Iโ€™m 4 years out from the surgery with no problems (i am very paranoid about re-injuring it....mental issue).
mister2dt
9/1/2020 7:32pm
mister2dt wrote:
For sure find an NFL surgeon. Mine is Jason Craft. Works with the N.O. Saints and several SEC schools. Even better if you get one that...
CG118 wrote:
Which PT clinic did you go to? We travel to Madison often to see my sister-in-law and family. I know a dude there that has several...
Which PT clinic did you go to? We travel to Madison often to see my sister-in-law and family. I know a dude there that has several clinics, north of Jackson. Just wondering.
Mississippi Sports Medicine and Mississippi Sports Therapy Group. Seth Enslows sister was one of my therapists lol. Shes a badass. They are both in the Baptist Health Complex.
CG118
9/1/2020 7:45pm
mister2dt wrote:
CG118 wrote:
Which PT clinic did you go to? We travel to Madison often to see my sister-in-law and family. I know a dude there that has several...
mister2dt wrote:
Mississippi Sports Medicine and Mississippi Sports Therapy Group. Seth Enslows sister was one of my therapists lol. Shes a badass. They are both in the Baptist...
Mississippi Sports Medicine and Mississippi Sports Therapy Group. Seth Enslows sister was one of my therapists lol. Shes a badass. They are both in the Baptist Health Complex.
That is crazy. Seth Enslowโ€™s sister.

Good luck with your recovery.
CG118
9/1/2020 8:18pm
Sorry duboiz. Didnโ€™t mean to hijack your topic.

Please continue.
9/2/2020 12:11am
If you dont mind me asking, how did you manage to tear both? I tore my MCL when i dabbed in a corner and the bars grabbed it. Took 5 weeks to get back on the bike and about a month of riding after that to get back to 100%.
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
9/2/2020 7:38am
My left knee was done 5 years ago with a cadaver graft. My right knee 17 years ago with the hamstring graft. My hamstring is weaker on my right knee where the graft was taken from. Not an issue but it is noticeable when lifting weights. Other than that I have no issues with the hamstring graft acl repair. At the time I choose the hamstring graft because of research regarding arthritis with the patella graft.

The left knee with the cadaver graft has no issues. The sterilization procedures have gotten a lot better resulting in less failures. This was a big decision in choosing a cadaver. Also, my age played a huge factor in deciding...I was 40 at the time of surgery.

Using a autograft creates a NEW injury to fix an existing one. Discuss with your doctor and decide with them what your best option is. Most DR's have their go to graft and will recommend that one. If you're not comfortable or they're not taking the time to answer all your questions, get a second opinion.

Your recovery starts now....find a Physical Therapist and get going.

Here's a really good article about rehab and surgery:

https://www.racerxvt.com/article/james-stewarts-acl-repair
motoxer68
Fantasy
1713th
9/2/2020 9:52am
I had 2 ACL reconstructions at the same time in 1998 by a very highly regarded professional sports surgeon. Patellar tendon grafts. Re-tore 1 in rehab 3 days later. The other one is still going strong.
Jake_CR250R
9/2/2020 10:45am
I had mine done at Shelbourne's in indianapolis Dec. 2019. I think he's done something like 5,000+ and many articles you'll find are written or contributed to by him. He does a contralateral patella graft as to allow each knee to heal individually. I was back to running in about 3 months, and right now I'm at nearly 900 miles on the year with no patellar tendonitis issues.

No matter where you go don't rush into it and do as much pre-hab as possible.
duboiz
9/2/2020 1:46pm
If you dont mind me asking, how did you manage to tear both? I tore my MCL when i dabbed in a corner and the bars...
If you dont mind me asking, how did you manage to tear both? I tore my MCL when i dabbed in a corner and the bars grabbed it. Took 5 weeks to get back on the bike and about a month of riding after that to get back to 100%.
They happened at different times. My right knee (which is the full tear) happened out in the desert at a fire road intersection. The left was in a freshly watered Glen Helen rut. Right knee happened in February and left knee happened in June.
duboiz
9/2/2020 1:51pm
Thanks for all the good info everyone. I think after hearing more about everyone's own situations i'm leaning towards the hamstring graft more due to the risk of arthritis in the patella graft. I think that would be the option that best suits me, i'll just have to really be on my hamstring PT from what I hear.

Post a reply to: Dual torn ACL's ๐ŸŽ‰

The Latest