Dual sporting your off-road bikes

Dimblewambie
Edited Date/Time 11/27/2021 11:59am
Looking for some experience and/or opinions with dual sport kits, parts and products as I’m going to be turning my YZ450F into a street legal machine. I know tusk has the relatively inexpensive dual sport kit with everything but a headlight for around $180, and they seem to be rather popular just not sure I like the look of some of the hard parts. Cyclops has some good looking blinkers, a few companies have some rear fender options that look decent, also wondering if there is a better control switch assembly out there. Let me know what you guys like and don’t like. Pic of my Adventure weapon for attention.

|
outerlimits
6/15/2021 5:11pm
Looking for some experience and/or opinions with dual sport kits, parts and products as I’m going to be turning my YZ450F into a street legal machine...
Looking for some experience and/or opinions with dual sport kits, parts and products as I’m going to be turning my YZ450F into a street legal machine. I know tusk has the relatively inexpensive dual sport kit with everything but a headlight for around $180, and they seem to be rather popular just not sure I like the look of some of the hard parts. Cyclops has some good looking blinkers, a few companies have some rear fender options that look decent, also wondering if there is a better control switch assembly out there. Let me know what you guys like and don’t like. Pic of my Adventure weapon for attention.

I went with the Tusk dual sport harness only and handle bar switch then just added my own headlight, taillight, blinkers, horn, brake switch and led blinker relay. Their harness is only about $30 and will make life a lot easier for you as well as be cheaper than if you tried to do all the wiring and connectors yourself. All in, everything was about $140 for me and I ended up with exactly the headlight, tail and blinkers I wanted but I did source a lot of Chinese stuff in there. Everything works and has for 2 years since the conversion.
endurox
6/15/2021 5:25pm
Restricted street legal plate in Idaho consists of a whistle, mirror and brake light.
Dimblewambie
6/15/2021 5:38pm
endurox wrote:
Restricted street legal plate in Idaho consists of a whistle, mirror and brake light.
I’ll be doing the South Dakota plate, but gotta do all the street legal components.
FWYT
6/15/2021 9:41pm
endurox wrote:
I’ll be doing the South Dakota plate, but gotta do all the street legal components.
Is the South Dakota dealio fairly easy? Been wanting forever to do something like to my KTM 200.

The Shop

Jake_CR250R
6/16/2021 6:02am
FWYT wrote:
Is the South Dakota dealio fairly easy? Been wanting forever to do something like to my KTM 200.
South Dakota is known for being very easy, you could register a power wheels there. No VIN verification, registration can be done through mail, and they will mail you your plates.
Dimblewambie
6/16/2021 6:46am
endurox wrote:
FWYT wrote:
Yeah rather simple as explained above, my BIL just did it with an XR200. A street legal 300 xcw is on my want list, if this all goes well I’ll probably do one of those next.
Wintyfresh
6/16/2021 8:46am
Just wanted to confirm South Dakota is incredibly easy (and mails registration renewals and whatnot directly to my California address).

Dimblewambie
6/16/2021 9:06am
Wintyfresh wrote:
Just wanted to confirm South Dakota is incredibly easy (and mails registration renewals and whatnot directly to my California address). [img]https://i.imgur.com/XtcL9yFl.png[/img]
Just wanted to confirm South Dakota is incredibly easy (and mails registration renewals and whatnot directly to my California address).

Anymore pics of your WR?
Wintyfresh
6/16/2021 9:29am
Anymore pics of your WR?
Side view from that same day (showing off the custom plate holder made by Tim Clark)

And one more gettin' dirty on the Vet track @ Fox Raceway, bike does great on it!

Dimblewambie
6/16/2021 9:35am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2021 9:36am
Anymore pics of your WR?
Wintyfresh wrote:
Side view from that same day (showing off the custom plate holder made by Tim Clark) [img]https://i.imgur.com/qesiYB3l.jpg[/img] And one more gettin' dirty on the Vet track...
Side view from that same day (showing off the custom plate holder made by Tim Clark)

And one more gettin' dirty on the Vet track @ Fox Raceway, bike does great on it!

Your bike looks pretty great! Got a contact for that plate holder? That’s what I was trying to focus in on prior lol. I’m going to do the WR fender and factory rear light, looks much better than the generic universal rear brake light/plate mount offerings.

What kind of mpg/range are you getting out? Acerbis makes a 2.6 for the regular F model, IMS has a 2.8 that works with the FX/WR fuel pump. I contacted them to see about the 2.8 tank with the F fuel pump provisions.
Wintyfresh
6/16/2021 9:44am
Your bike looks pretty great! Got a contact for that plate holder? That’s what I was trying to focus in on prior lol. I’m going to...
Your bike looks pretty great! Got a contact for that plate holder? That’s what I was trying to focus in on prior lol. I’m going to do the WR fender and factory rear light, looks much better than the generic universal rear brake light/plate mount offerings.

What kind of mpg/range are you getting out? Acerbis makes a 2.6 for the regular F model, IMS has a 2.8 that works with the FX/WR fuel pump. I contacted them to see about the 2.8 tank with the F fuel pump provisions.
Thanks! I don't know how to reach his outside of facebook, but here's his profile if you want to message him for one.

Tim Clark

Mileage varies from 25ish (MX track, sand) to 40 (cruising). I have the IMS 2.8 sitting in my garage but am not 100% sure I want to install it; it requires cutting the seat pan and I feel like the gas cap location might hinder my ability to get my weight forward.
Dimblewambie
6/16/2021 10:01am
Your bike looks pretty great! Got a contact for that plate holder? That’s what I was trying to focus in on prior lol. I’m going to...

Wintyfresh wrote:
Thanks! I don't know how to reach his outside of facebook, but here's his profile if you want to message him for one. [url=https://www.facebook.com/tim.clark.96780]Tim Clark[/url] Mileage...
Thanks! I don't know how to reach his outside of facebook, but here's his profile if you want to message him for one.

Tim Clark

Mileage varies from 25ish (MX track, sand) to 40 (cruising). I have the IMS 2.8 sitting in my garage but am not 100% sure I want to install it; it requires cutting the seat pan and I feel like the gas cap location might hinder my ability to get my weight forward.
Yeah that’s what I don’t care for on the acerbis tank either, but will likely have no option but to deal with it. I often go for 100-120mi loops from the house so max fuel capacity will be key. Appreciate the contact info!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/16/2021 10:34am
My sons plated 03' WR450 was "Grandfathered in" We pay the registration the day it comes and keep our fingers crossed until we get the next years sticker Laughing

Crash217
6/16/2021 11:07am
Like the first response, the last few Dual Sports I built for customers, I started with a Tusk wiring harness and switchgear. They aren't the greatest wiring harnesses, but they are cheap, reliable and can be easily modified to piggyback nicely onto the OEM harness and not be intrusive if you're willing to spend some time on routing, wrapping, and tying the wiring up pretty and neat. I think I charged 6-8 hours on the installs. Custom work takes time.

Here's some parts I used for the builds;

turn signal control box

Turn Signals

Turn Signals

hydraulic brake switches

tag mount with brake/turn signals

tag bolts with lights

mirrors

Dashes, Lights, Mirrors, etc
PTshox
6/16/2021 12:48pm
Not to break up the party... but be careful if you're a California resident and have a California Drives License and you dual sport the bike out of California with another states plate.

There is a California vehicle code that states if you are a California resident and you operated a vehicle registered in another state in California, and that you paid for that registration in the other state, you are commenting a misdemeanor and they can take you to jail….I forgot the vehicle code number though.

I wish I was kidding. I got hassled by a California cop for this and he was excited to screw with me over it. He messed with me for an hour and told me he could take me to jail… but he wasn’t going do that today. Guy was a real piece of work. LOVED his badge and had his chest puffed out as he approached me. He just wouldn’t let it go that he had a badge and this is a violation. It’s an obscure law that no one I know knew about. I even talked to cops I know about it and they were like... "wow. guy must be bored". But it’s there. You run into the wrong guy like I did and they can ticket/arrest you.

Maybe a CHP or cop that knows about this can jump in with the code number. But it’s there.
Wintyfresh
6/16/2021 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2021 1:38pm
I keep the CA OHV sticker current on my SD plated bikes just so they can't accuse me of trying to avoid registration fees. I'd also note (for me) it's not particularly about riding on the street, but opening up a ton of dirt trails located outside of OHV designated areas (such as State Parks). At the end of the day I figure it's better to be pulled over with an out of state license plate (with current registration and insurance) than no plate at all, and in my own experience most rangers see a headlight and a license plate and just go about their business.
outerlimits
6/16/2021 1:43pm
PTshox wrote:
Not to break up the party... but be careful if you're a California resident and have a California Drives License and you dual sport the bike...
Not to break up the party... but be careful if you're a California resident and have a California Drives License and you dual sport the bike out of California with another states plate.

There is a California vehicle code that states if you are a California resident and you operated a vehicle registered in another state in California, and that you paid for that registration in the other state, you are commenting a misdemeanor and they can take you to jail….I forgot the vehicle code number though.

I wish I was kidding. I got hassled by a California cop for this and he was excited to screw with me over it. He messed with me for an hour and told me he could take me to jail… but he wasn’t going do that today. Guy was a real piece of work. LOVED his badge and had his chest puffed out as he approached me. He just wouldn’t let it go that he had a badge and this is a violation. It’s an obscure law that no one I know knew about. I even talked to cops I know about it and they were like... "wow. guy must be bored". But it’s there. You run into the wrong guy like I did and they can ticket/arrest you.

Maybe a CHP or cop that knows about this can jump in with the code number. But it’s there.
This is something I've always worried about. I'm in Ca and have an AZ plate, but the title is shared between my brother and me. Lighting is full CA spec though as AZ does not require much. My thought is that he lives in AZ and I live in CA so we can only register it in one state and choose his for obvious reasons. If they want to try and spend the time trying to figure out which one of us actually paid for the registration....best of luck to them. Again, we both own the bike and only one of us can pay the fees at a time so it's a pretty silly thing for a cop to attempt to make an issue out of. I would hope they have better things to do like catching the real bad guys.
PTshox
6/16/2021 1:43pm
I agree most will leave you alone. The green stick idea is a a good one.
This guy was a jerk. Real full of himself.
PTshox
6/16/2021 1:44pm
Curious how you get the green sticker with out the bike being titled in Ca?
Wintyfresh
6/16/2021 1:58pm
PTshox wrote:
Curious how you get the green sticker with out the bike being titled in Ca?
Bike was purchased and originally titled in CA, then CA title was mailed to SD and a new SD title was issued. CA has absolutely no idea the bike is titled in SD, and I just keep paying the registration fees on both. Presumably I could also request a duplicate title from CA at any time. I'm not a lawyer so can't speak to what laws apply here, but I feel it shows in good faith that I'd be happy to register the bike as street legal in CA if they'd let me. It's an emissions issue, plain and simple, and the only emissions concern I've ever seen from rangers is whether or not I have a spark arrester (which I absolutely do).
ktmusa
7/24/2021 9:56am
Looking for some experience and/or opinions with dual sport kits, parts and products as I’m going to be turning my YZ450F into a street legal machine...

Who down votes a beautiful adventure weapon?
ktmusa
7/24/2021 9:57am
For those who wanna check it out, my bike is done! https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2020-YZ450F-turned-FX-WR-Dual-sport,1393096 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/24/502837/s1200_47537499_7BFE_4729_9431_4703872C8A57.jpg[/img]
For those who wanna check it out, my bike is done!
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2020-YZ450F-turned-FX-WR-…

Have any trouble getting it plated?
kb228
7/24/2021 10:06am
How does everyones bikes handle stoplights when its 85-90 degrees? I feel like it would boil over
Dimblewambie
7/24/2021 10:10am
For those who wanna check it out, my bike is done! https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/2020-YZ450F-turned-FX-WR-Dual-sport,1393096 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/07/24/502837/s1200_47537499_7BFE_4729_9431_4703872C8A57.jpg[/img]

ktmusa wrote:
South Dakota FTW! Was $72 and plate to my doorstep in 2 weeks.
Dimblewambie
7/24/2021 10:12am
kb228 wrote:
How does everyones bikes handle stoplights when its 85-90 degrees? I feel like it would boil over
Just run them and problem solved! We’re gunna find out though, the trailtech temp was dead on with the temp per the GYTR app. If needed trailtech makes a fan I can add. The FX model has the plug and brains to run the factory WR fan, but the F model does not.
FWYT
7/24/2021 11:12am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2021 11:15am

ktmusa wrote:
South Dakota FTW! Was $72 and plate to my doorstep in 2 weeks.
Sweeeeeeeet!

mvmx
7/24/2021 12:02pm
endurox wrote:

Don't forget a custom DJT headlight..

Post a reply to: Dual sporting your off-road bikes

The Latest