Dual Sporting in AZ

G-man
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 1:38pm
My good bud Donny and his wife Cathy hit the lotto and scored some land up North out of the heat. They invited us up for the 4th of July weekend and Donny surprised me with his new “Secret Weapon”. He Dual Sported his CR 500, much to my surprise as he never gave me a hint of his extensive project.

Seeing how Don had never explored the trails he asked me to go along and with the confidence of my trusty GPS we were able to reach the outer regions and found some beautiful country. To me this kind of riding is good for the soul..... No worries here mate.

Matter of fact one night a pretty large Bear rifled through the neighbors garbage as we stood there with floodlights on him. He did not miss a beat and went back for more. It was pretty cool.

Donny loves to tinker and is an excellent wrench. Jetting changes on the fly are fun to him. I watched, while giving pointers, sipping a frosty cold one (well maybe not that cold) but the Tecate still tasted mighty fine...

Sure does beat 112 degree heat!

That’s all folks hope you enjoyed the pics.

|
G-man
7/25/2008 6:34am
Yep it's been confirmed I have my own personal stalker. Can't seem to make a post without dimwit crash82 following me around....Dry
OldTiddler
7/25/2008 7:08am
Northern AZ has some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen
500guy
7/25/2008 7:10am
What area Gary ? Looks like it was pretty nice.

The Shop

BobbyM
7/25/2008 8:31am
G-man wrote:
My good bud Donny and his wife Cathy hit the lotto and scored some land up North out of the heat. They invited us up for...
My good bud Donny and his wife Cathy hit the lotto and scored some land up North out of the heat. They invited us up for the 4th of July weekend and Donny surprised me with his new “Secret Weapon”. He Dual Sported his CR 500, much to my surprise as he never gave me a hint of his extensive project.

Seeing how Don had never explored the trails he asked me to go along and with the confidence of my trusty GPS we were able to reach the outer regions and found some beautiful country. To me this kind of riding is good for the soul..... No worries here mate.

Matter of fact one night a pretty large Bear rifled through the neighbors garbage as we stood there with floodlights on him. He did not miss a beat and went back for more. It was pretty cool.

Donny loves to tinker and is an excellent wrench. Jetting changes on the fly are fun to him. I watched, while giving pointers, sipping a frosty cold one (well maybe not that cold) but the Tecate still tasted mighty fine...

Sure does beat 112 degree heat!

That’s all folks hope you enjoyed the pics.

man that looks very cool gary, dualsports have come a long way that's for sure.

here's my first DS scooter....good bike but.

ProMed
7/25/2008 8:37am
Very cool. Here is my street-legal converted XR650R, just after I finished the conversion.

maicoman
7/25/2008 8:53am
500guy wrote:
What area Gary ? Looks like it was pretty nice.
Come on G, share with the homies.
maicoman
7/25/2008 8:54am
ProMed wrote:
Very cool. Here is my street-legal converted XR650R, just after I finished the conversion. [img]http://www.motonews.com/images/fbfiles/images/XRR_Left.JPG[/img]
Very cool. Here is my street-legal converted XR650R, just after I finished the conversion.

I like that !!! That would work really well out here in the S.west.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
7/25/2008 8:55am

Every summer 8 of us get together to do a 5 day camping- riding trip up near Big Lake, the elevation gets to my endurance. But we have a blast
Nice and cool and we usually get a bunch of rain, a wet forest is a great place to ride
Thanks for posting the pics, looks like it was a great time
Dsigner
7/25/2008 10:10am
That looks awesome, I'm looking to go ride with a buddy around Flagstaff. Any Suggestions?

I'm street legal.
TJ 755
7/25/2008 11:15am
I just got a plate for my yz 450. working on lighting right now. I'll post pics when finished.
Cool shit G if you ever want some WA state gnar gnar holla at yer boy.
Travis707
7/25/2008 1:02pm
Cool pics, G. Looks like a great ride... thanks for sharing. Yup, beats the heat around here for sure.

I'm in the process of dual sporting my '06 KTM 450 XC. Should be done within a couple of weeks... can't wait.
oldx
7/25/2008 1:11pm
A Dual Sported CR500, too cool.
G-man
7/25/2008 1:55pm
Thanks for the mad props guys.....

Bobby, those step-thru 90's were great bikes, my buddy had two and we flogged them endlessly--good times indeed.

Promed, that's a cool looking XR, wish I still had mine.

Jay and Maicoman, it’s up in the Show Low area and really is pretty cool. At one point we were in a drizzle and you go a few miles and it’s clear. The final day it had rained that night before and the forest was absolutely breathtaking.

We had two issues that hampered us:

1) My GPS mount screw had broken off and I need to fix it. So I had to keep it in my pocket which is a PITA.

2) I did not have the local GPS trail software loaded in mine, so all it really showed was paved roads and FS Roads which is what we branched off of.

When I get those two issues resolved we can do better I hope.

He put a Service Honda coil and even a small battery in the airbox along with complete a electrical control switch. Turn signals, high/low/parking beam, horn etc. Don can further explain, the complexities of what he did. He did confess later that it would have been much easier if he had just bought the Baja Designs Kit, instead of piecemeal. After looking at all the wiring it gave me the willy’s just looking at it. While it’s cool having the Big Beast around after awhile the fumes can get old so I tried to stay ahead or ride CHIP’s style.

To spice things up we decided to trade bikes for awhile and it was fun riding the ol beast. The vibration thru the footpegs is something I noticed and one time going up a small incline I stabbed the clutch and gave it some throttle to see what the ol girl could do. Instantly the front wheel was pointed towards the clouds! Whew that will get you’re ATTENTION rather quickly! lol

oldx yea that thing is kinda beastly for DS! lol
G-man
7/25/2008 2:00pm
Dsigner wrote:
That looks awesome, I'm looking to go ride with a buddy around Flagstaff. Any Suggestions? I'm street legal. [img]http://www.thecreativeworks.com/CRF250X/images/L_PROFILE.jpg[/img]
That looks awesome, I'm looking to go ride with a buddy around Flagstaff. Any Suggestions?

I'm street legal.
Cool looking scooter Dsigner, you need to do the LA to B to V ride with us Thanksgiving w/e. I will post info later.

If you go to TT I believe they have a DS section for S/W that you could get some great riding area tips from.

Maybe in a month or so I will meet you guys up there with my posse'....
G-man
7/25/2008 2:04pm
TJ wrote: , I just got a plate for my yz 450. working on lighting right now. I'll post pics when finished.
Cool shit G if you ever want some WA state gnar gnar holla at yer boy.

Thanks TJ I'll keep that in mind and the invitation to you and EVERYONE else is back at ya!

Travis919 wrote: Cool pics, G. Looks like a great ride... thanks for sharing. Yup, beats the heat around here for sure.

I'm in the process of dual sporting my '06 KTM 450 XC. Should be done within a couple of weeks... can't wait.

Travis,
thx we need to meet for a ride someday.

Thanks SuperRat!

BobbyM
7/25/2008 2:12pm
what do you guys do on the asphalt sections when it is rainy? that's gotta be a little shaky eh?
volcati
7/25/2008 2:15pm
Ahhh...nice pics and looks like you guys had a blast. I'm kind off the bike til Sept. for any long dual sport style rides--too hot, fire season, and wrist is still healing, wife is preggo, and we're off to Kauai again for 2 weeks end of August.

Sooo jealous....good stuff. I bought the Baja Kit for my CRF...just need to get off my ass and hook it all up. I'm just throwing a plate from one of my dad's older dual sport bikes.
Travis707
7/25/2008 2:21pm
Sounds good, G. Once I get the ol' girl done and do a couple of test rides I'll be good to go.
G-man
7/25/2008 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:47pm
volcati wrote:
Ahhh...nice pics and looks like you guys had a blast. I'm kind off the bike til Sept. for any long dual sport style rides--too hot, fire...
Ahhh...nice pics and looks like you guys had a blast. I'm kind off the bike til Sept. for any long dual sport style rides--too hot, fire season, and wrist is still healing, wife is preggo, and we're off to Kauai again for 2 weeks end of August.

Sooo jealous....good stuff. I bought the Baja Kit for my CRF...just need to get off my ass and hook it all up. I'm just throwing a plate from one of my dad's older dual sport bikes.
Thanks vol, you are going to need a lighting coil I hope you know. Service Honda has some cool ones that are powerfull.

whoa wife is preggo? Congrats

Bobby when the asphalt is wet it gets fun. Powerslides around the corners are much easier.

Swallow you're pride and get a light on that KX500!!!!!!!! heheheeh
BobbyM
7/25/2008 2:25pm
volcati wrote:
Ahhh...nice pics and looks like you guys had a blast. I'm kind off the bike til Sept. for any long dual sport style rides--too hot, fire...

wife is preggo,

who's the father...anybody we know? Smile
volcati
7/25/2008 3:28pm
Yeah...not sure who the dad is yet as we suspect when I made her get out on the curb in Reno and " be an EARNER"...she may of gotten knocked up then. 100 guys in day...it's hopeless to guess.

It's like a nice surpise waiting to see which color he or she will be! :-)

She's 2 months pregnant.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
7/25/2008 3:53pm
BobbyM wrote:
what do you guys do on the asphalt sections when it is rainy? that's gotta be a little shaky eh?
Feet up slides, similar to Nor-Cal hard pack. LOL!
volcati
7/25/2008 3:55pm
Thanks guys!

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread G. Didn't think anyone really read all the fine print in these posts. :-)
Dsigner
7/25/2008 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2008 4:47pm
G-man wrote:
Cool looking scooter Dsigner, you need to do the LA to B to V ride with us Thanksgiving w/e. I will post info later. If you...
Cool looking scooter Dsigner, you need to do the LA to B to V ride with us Thanksgiving w/e. I will post info later.

If you go to TT I believe they have a DS section for S/W that you could get some great riding area tips from.

Maybe in a month or so I will meet you guys up there with my posse'....
Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Post a reply to: Dual Sporting in AZ

The Latest