Dry as an old bone

Tracktor
7/30/2018 2:57pm
goinrcn44h wrote:
You are kidding.......right????
No, not kidding, but I don't use shitty cheap cables that need to be lubed. Good cables are either teflon lined and/or sealed on both ends...
No, not kidding, but I don't use shitty cheap cables that need to be lubed. Good cables are either teflon lined and/or sealed on both ends to prevent dirt from getting in there. If you lube teflon lined cables, it ruins the teflon liner. If you put a bunch of lube in the cable, it will attract dirt.

Lube away my friend... whatever works.
Never seen a fully sealed cable on an MX bike much less from factory? And using Triflo (teflon) to lube teflon ruins it? Bold strategy, Cotton...........
JM485
7/30/2018 4:25pm
The lack of grease/grease quality on bikes is a joke. Can you imagine thinking it's perfectly fine for the end user to have to rip half of your product apart just to have it function like it should to begin with? It's insane, my last Yamaha actually had a decent amount but it was so thin that it would have dissipated pretty quickly.

It's 2018, we don't need to be ripping bikes apart before we ride them. . .
rmoto003
7/30/2018 10:33pm
Went thru the boy's new 18 kx85 last night after picking it up Tuesday. Headset bearings and rear brake pivot bolt - dry, I mean no...
Went thru the boy's new 18 kx85 last night after picking it up Tuesday. Headset bearings and rear brake pivot bolt - dry, I mean no grease at all! 3 of the 4 wheel bearings - almost dry. Linkage - almost dry. Air filter, a little oil but not much. Cables - all dry. Spokes - tension all over the place, wheels were true at least, but....

If you are a first-time dirt bike buyer and take a bike like this out to ride, you will destroy a LOT of parts in the first month, have a very expensive labor bill to fix it, and a very unhappy kid. Neither the MFG or the dealer is doing the consumer any favors. SMH. Rant over, carry on.

Hammer 663s
"If you are a first time dirt bike buyer.... Destroy a lot of parts in the first month"

Total bullshit. The only abuse new riders put on bikes are from the inevitable yardsales. You could give a new rider a bike with no oil in it and it would still be running after a month since they wont be going over 3k rpm

Let it go old man, bikes dont need to be dunked in grease to last anymore. Its not the 1970's, the Japanese know what they are doing.
drt410
7/30/2018 10:56pm
The headset bearings, linkage and swingarm needle bearings should all come greased from the factory. That is not the dealers responsibility. The dealer just assembles the...
The headset bearings, linkage and swingarm needle bearings should all come greased from the factory. That is not the dealers responsibility. The dealer just assembles the bike (usually just bars, controls and should oil the air filter). Never heard of greasing cables. In fact, I believe it's bad to grease cables.

The fun part of buying a new bike is going through all of this stuff and ensuring it's done properly with a 6 pack of beer and some good tunes.
In regards to greasing cables, you should lube them up. If you have a rough clutch pull, lubing it can make all the difference since crud...
In regards to greasing cables, you should lube them up. If you have a rough clutch pull, lubing it can make all the difference since crud can get in over time. Lubing it will shoot all the dirt out the other end and grease the cable up so it’s smooth.

Maybe it’s not the most important thing to do, but I do it once or twice a year depending on how much I ride. It’s not like you have to do it after every ride, it’s just to maintain the cable and keep it from corroding or seizing.
Greasing cables will actually attract dirt and keep it stuck inside the cables to cause more wear and binding over time. Once dirt gets in grease its trapped, better to run em dry tbh theyll honestly last longer. A very light bit of oil will stop corrosion, but not even necessary they will work fine.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Dry as an old bone

The Latest