Dropping from 450's to 250's

Tracktor
4/17/2013 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2013 11:43am
Just as amusing as someone who says they won't ride a two-stroke because they "dont want to struggle for traction and stay on the pipe." At...
Just as amusing as someone who says they won't ride a two-stroke because they "dont want to struggle for traction and stay on the pipe."

At that point, it's like, "why do you even bother riding at all?" or "buy a set of golf clubs".
Tracktor wrote:
Which, in turn, is almost as amusing as someone who mods the shit out of their CR250 to make the power delivery better so they can...
Which, in turn, is almost as amusing as someone who mods the shit out of their CR250 to make the power delivery better so they can ride faster & longer………Sound familiar?
modding the shit out of a CR250 is amusing? hmmmf. if you say so. are you insinuating that modding a 250 two-stroke is useless and someone...
modding the shit out of a CR250 is amusing?

hmmmf. if you say so.

are you insinuating that modding a 250 two-stroke is useless and someone should just ride a bike that makes 15 less horsepower and weighs 20 more lbs instead? It sure seems that way.
Some people mod bikes other people buy bikes that already have the characteristics they prefer................... So you are saying all of your mods made your bike get worse traction and made it harder to stay on the pipe so you could be more core? Otherwise, you're a bit of a hypocrite, no?....................... If that heavier bike is more fun for them and they go faster, why not?..................
4stroke4DWIN
4/17/2013 12:01pm
Well its a done deal fella's, My FREE 250f will be at my shop tonight or in the morning. Gonna keep the 450 just for shits and giggles but the 250 will be my primary race bike. Seriously I'm so excited lol. I got to the point that I didnt even look forward to going and practicing on the 450, but now I'm like damn come on weekend!!!Smile
IWreckALot
4/17/2013 12:03pm
Just as amusing as someone who says they won't ride a two-stroke because they "dont want to struggle for traction and stay on the pipe." At...
Just as amusing as someone who says they won't ride a two-stroke because they "dont want to struggle for traction and stay on the pipe."

At that point, it's like, "why do you even bother riding at all?" or "buy a set of golf clubs".
Tracktor wrote:
Which, in turn, is almost as amusing as someone who mods the shit out of their CR250 to make the power delivery better so they can...
Which, in turn, is almost as amusing as someone who mods the shit out of their CR250 to make the power delivery better so they can ride faster & longer………Sound familiar?
modding the shit out of a CR250 is amusing? hmmmf. if you say so. are you insinuating that modding a 250 two-stroke is useless and someone...

hmmmf. if you say so.

are you insinuating that modding a 250 two-stroke is useless and someone should just ride a bike that makes 15 less horsepower and weighs 20 more lbs instead? It sure seems that way.
You have the biggest two stroke boner I've ever seen. You're like a 2 stroke Bible beater. Your opinion lost credibility 10 user names ago. . . I didn't see the OP request any input about 2 strokes. I'm sure he's seen the 30 page 2 stroke thread. Whatever he needed to know about 2 strokes, I'm sure he can find in there. We all have different riding preference and 98% of the posters here can respect that without trying to cram their preferences down everyone's throats. . . You fall in the 2%. . .

To the OP,

I'm currently considering the same thing. I recently rode a buddy's KX250F (I ride a Yz450), and it does lack the pop of the 450 but it kinda forces you to ride more efficiently which makes you a better rider all around. It was a lot of fun to ride the 250. It had the nice low end power and the weight reduction was real nice. Just out of curiosity, what kind of riding/racing do you do?
4stroke4DWIN
4/17/2013 12:14pm
Tracktor wrote:

hmmmf. if you say so.

IWreckALot wrote:
You have the biggest two stroke boner I've ever seen. You're like a 2 stroke Bible beater. Your opinion lost credibility 10 user names ago....
You have the biggest two stroke boner I've ever seen. You're like a 2 stroke Bible beater. Your opinion lost credibility 10 user names ago. . . I didn't see the OP request any input about 2 strokes. I'm sure he's seen the 30 page 2 stroke thread. Whatever he needed to know about 2 strokes, I'm sure he can find in there. We all have different riding preference and 98% of the posters here can respect that without trying to cram their preferences down everyone's throats. . . You fall in the 2%. . .

To the OP,

I'm currently considering the same thing. I recently rode a buddy's KX250F (I ride a Yz450), and it does lack the pop of the 450 but it kinda forces you to ride more efficiently which makes you a better rider all around. It was a lot of fun to ride the 250. It had the nice low end power and the weight reduction was real nice. Just out of curiosity, what kind of riding/racing do you do?
MX Vet 30+ INT. I am strickly a track whore, I never ride the desert or trails. I was just talking to my buddy and he rides 25+ INT, we we were bangin bars this weekend so he got to see me on the 250f . He was like man I could tell you were having a ball on it. Of coarse we've rode plenty of times together with me on 450. From what he said I looked so much better on 250f vs 450. So it's not in my head lol.Blink

The Shop

IWreckALot
4/17/2013 12:53pm
MX Vet 30+ INT. I am strickly a track whore, I never ride the desert or trails. I was just talking to my buddy and he...
MX Vet 30+ INT. I am strickly a track whore, I never ride the desert or trails. I was just talking to my buddy and he rides 25+ INT, we we were bangin bars this weekend so he got to see me on the 250f . He was like man I could tell you were having a ball on it. Of coarse we've rode plenty of times together with me on 450. From what he said I looked so much better on 250f vs 450. So it's not in my head lol.Blink
Dang man, every time I settle the urge to go buy another bike, something spurs the urge again. . . I've debated selling/trading the 450 for a 250 or just adding a second bike. It's going to be a tough sell to get the wife to be alright with me buying a second bike. I'm not quite ready to give up the bike I have though. It's been such an awesomely consistent bike. No problems in the 5 years I've had it.

I race a local hare scramble and I think the 450 holds me back there more than on mx tracks. Some of the slower technical sections, I find myself fighting the bike and there aren't many areas that I open the throttle. I think a 250 would be perfect in my races.
mototrader
4/17/2013 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2013 1:24pm
the 250f would be the ideal bike..if most of them weren't ticking time bombs.

If anyone here wants to drop down to a 250F from a bigger bike..go with the YZ250F...

Or..slow down your 450. the latter is cheaper Smile its alot easier to make a fast bike slow than a slow bike fast.
4stroke4DWIN
4/17/2013 1:32pm
mototrader wrote:
the 250f would be the ideal bike..if most of them weren't ticking time bombs. If anyone here wants to drop down to a 250F from a...
the 250f would be the ideal bike..if most of them weren't ticking time bombs.

If anyone here wants to drop down to a 250F from a bigger bike..go with the YZ250F...

Or..slow down your 450. the latter is cheaper Smile its alot easier to make a fast bike slow than a slow bike fast.
True, I own a MC shop so blowing shit up isnt really a factor. Cost on parts and I have a badass machinest in my hip pocket if things get really bad. I understand for the average consumer though 4t's can get pricey to maintain.
Outsider
4/17/2013 1:48pm
I dropped down to a YZ250F for a period of time from the bigger bikes. I could actually go faster, longer, on it, but went back to the 450 because I needed the power(I didn't really, except maybe in the desert). The 250F is a blast to ride, however, and would be my next bike if I wasn't going the 2t route.
4/17/2013 2:13pm
when I ride a 250f i feel like im riding an xr80. just wide open throttle everywhere and its harder to clear jumps. I feel like im going to break the throttle tube by twisting it so hard. I love the power of a 450, right now i have a 2 stroke kx 250 but i feel instantly faster on a kx 450. i have the most fun on a 450 no doubt. i really hate riding 250f's. way too slow. and 250f's wear me out cuz im riding it so tense and aggressive.
crf250pilot
4/17/2013 3:52pm
Well its a done deal fella's, My FREE 250f will be at my shop tonight or in the morning. Gonna keep the 450 just for shits...
Well its a done deal fella's, My FREE 250f will be at my shop tonight or in the morning. Gonna keep the 450 just for shits and giggles but the 250 will be my primary race bike. Seriously I'm so excited lol. I got to the point that I didnt even look forward to going and practicing on the 450, but now I'm like damn come on weekend!!!Smile
You wont even want to wait for the weekend, Wed night at Canyon!!
4stroke4DWIN
4/17/2013 4:27pm
Well its a done deal fella's, My FREE 250f will be at my shop tonight or in the morning. Gonna keep the 450 just for shits...
You work over at TNT, My buddy Ernie Weaver just did a moto van for you guys. I own Holeshot Motosports over in Apache Junction, we'll need to hook up sometime and go burn some laps.
VET74
4/17/2013 4:56pm
You work over at TNT, My buddy Ernie Weaver just did a moto van for you guys. I own Holeshot Motosports over in Apache Junction, we'll...
You work over at TNT, My buddy Ernie Weaver just did a moto van for you guys. I own Holeshot Motosports over in Apache Junction, we'll need to hook up sometime and go burn some laps.
Does Troy's dad still own TNT
4stroke4DWIN
4/17/2013 5:18pm
You work over at TNT, My buddy Ernie Weaver just did a moto van for you guys. I own Holeshot Motosports over in Apache Junction, we'll...
VET74 wrote:
I couldn't tell ya bud.
crf250pilot
4/18/2013 8:37am
VET74 wrote:
I couldn't tell ya bud.
Yes, i'm partners with Terry Blake (Troy's pop). Ernie did my van up so we can hit the National in Lakewood this year. We'll have to get 250's out to ride together soon.
VET74
4/18/2013 11:44am
Yes, i'm partners with Terry Blake (Troy's pop). Ernie did my van up so we can hit the National in Lakewood this year. We'll have to...
Yes, i'm partners with Terry Blake (Troy's pop). Ernie did my van up so we can hit the National in Lakewood this year. We'll have to get 250's out to ride together soon.
Troy and Terry were always good to me...I loved hearing Troy's stories from back in the "day". Hope the shop is still doing well.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread 4 stroke Woohoo
kawasa84
4/18/2013 12:25pm
What if I told you, there existed a motorcycle, that was lighter than your buddy's 250F and made roughly the same power as your 450.... and...
What if I told you, there existed a motorcycle, that was lighter than your buddy's 250F and made roughly the same power as your 450.... and (get this).. it doesn't eat it's valves with a side of timing chain and a piston for dessert.
Yea yea, I know I know. I rode a smoker not to long ago and damn it was alot of work for my old ass. I...
Yea yea, I know I know. I rode a smoker not to long ago and damn it was alot of work for my old ass. I forgot how to ride them. I kept falling off the pipe, its been a hot minute since riding one. I would have to re learn all over again. 4t has spoiled meWink
I'll soon be 48, (sucks) but you're never too old for the 2 stroke. gotta work a litlle harder, but more power, and cheaper for sure.
AS64
Fantasy
2062nd
4/18/2013 12:30pm
I'd recommend getting one of these for your 250F. Especially if you are coming off of a built 450.
Outsider
4/18/2013 1:30pm
AS64 wrote:
I'd recommend getting one of these for your 250F. Especially if you are coming off of a built 450.
^That would probably work real good on 500AF... Woohoo
AS64
Fantasy
2062nd
4/18/2013 3:14pm
AS64 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
^That would probably work real good on 500AF... Woohoo
You first! Laughing . James actually ran one on his San Manuel YZ450F when he had a hurt wrist.
level
4/18/2013 3:53pm
I don't see how people ride 2 strokes anymore and this is coming from somebody that rode 2 strokes my whole life. I tried to ride a 2010 kx 250 a few years ago and I felt like I never rode a bike before. It vibrated like a mother, felt heavy, I couldn't ride the damn thing. ha. I know I would of got used to it because I had a CR250 I did just fine on but man the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke is really like night and day.
SwapperMX
4/18/2013 4:44pm
AS64 wrote:
Very first thing you should buy if riding a 250F in my opinion !!
4stroke4DWIN
4/18/2013 8:55pm
AS64 wrote:
Well I took delivery of my 2 fiddy f today and I got to do the break in on one of my riders 2012 250. Sheesh that fuel injection is some touch shit compared to carbed. I haven't seen an 12 CRF up close til today. Quite skinny and you can get way up on the tank if needed. Anyways They bought it from a Ride Now and payed 467.00 assembly fee and the dumb fucks forgot to air up the tires!!! LMAO!!
4stroke4DWIN
4/18/2013 8:57pm
AS64 wrote:
Oh, yea I think I will get one of those here soon.

Post a reply to: Dropping from 450's to 250's

The Latest