Drop-offs: Update

DC
7/9/2010 4:35am
I think some of you are missing the point, we are not making the tracks easier or "pussifynig" the sport by being smarter about marking and altering the angle of drop-offs. It's because Dr. John Bodnar might have died when he accidentally drove his mule off one, as well as the accidents that happened to Langston, Price, etc. When Bodnar flipped his mule, I was standing right there. I helped pull him out and he was so shaken it was hard to explain. He told me he had only installed seat beats the night before, on a hunch something might happen. Well, it did. Thank God he had that premonition.

So WORCS, be disappointed in me, but yes, this is the kind of thing I spend some of my time thinking about. I imagine you would too if you had been standing there and saw (and heard) the carnage. And who didn't just cringe when Langston made his little end at Budds Creek? Here's a guy that's been out for two and a half years with injuries and illness, and then he gets hurt in the sighting lap? Same goes for Townley, who had issues with the exact same jump at Budds.

Shouldn't safety always be a priority?

DC
MX Sports
Suns_PSD
7/9/2010 8:23am
These are great obstacles that really add to the spectacle and give GREAT exposure for the sponsors of our sport.

I've very supportive of the obstacle itself but I think it should be labeled w/ chalk or flags or something.
holeshot100
7/9/2010 8:38am
I am not sure if this was already brought up.
The rolling lime dispensers they use on ball fields would work well. Put about 4 or 5 lines of lime across the track. They will get worn off, but there will be enough left on the track{or the sides of track} to make an impression in the riders mind. Every moto you just run some new lines across the track.

The Shop

7/9/2010 8:41am
DC wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point, we are not making the tracks easier or "pussifynig" the sport by being smarter about marking and...
I think some of you are missing the point, we are not making the tracks easier or "pussifynig" the sport by being smarter about marking and altering the angle of drop-offs. It's because Dr. John Bodnar might have died when he accidentally drove his mule off one, as well as the accidents that happened to Langston, Price, etc. When Bodnar flipped his mule, I was standing right there. I helped pull him out and he was so shaken it was hard to explain. He told me he had only installed seat beats the night before, on a hunch something might happen. Well, it did. Thank God he had that premonition.

So WORCS, be disappointed in me, but yes, this is the kind of thing I spend some of my time thinking about. I imagine you would too if you had been standing there and saw (and heard) the carnage. And who didn't just cringe when Langston made his little end at Budds Creek? Here's a guy that's been out for two and a half years with injuries and illness, and then he gets hurt in the sighting lap? Same goes for Townley, who had issues with the exact same jump at Budds.

DC
MX Sports
Yes. Safety should always be a priority. There are way more dangerous obstacles on a race track than a 4 or 5 foot drop off. Should you remove all of them for safety reasons? MX is dangerous.

I never heard, but why was Dr. Bodnar in that situation anyway? Why was a mule on the race track in that spot? Almost sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy since he installed seat belts because he knew something was going to happen.
7/9/2010 8:44am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2010 8:45am
I am not sure if this was already brought up. The rolling lime dispensers they use on ball fields would work well. Put about 4 or...
I am not sure if this was already brought up.
The rolling lime dispensers they use on ball fields would work well. Put about 4 or 5 lines of lime across the track. They will get worn off, but there will be enough left on the track{or the sides of track} to make an impression in the riders mind. Every moto you just run some new lines across the track.
When did the riders roll off of these jumps? Wasn't it after they had already run practice, in GL's case he had already done 2 practice sessions. Does anyone really believe that these pro racers don't know every obstacle on a track after their first few laps if that. Hell they probably know everything before they hit the track because they have gone over it with their team. It only takes me 4 or 5 laps at the most to remember a new track and I am old and forgetful.
txmxer
7/9/2010 9:02am
DC wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point, we are not making the tracks easier or "pussifynig" the sport by being smarter about marking and...

DC
MX Sports
Yes. Safety should always be a priority. There are way more dangerous obstacles on a race track than a 4 or 5 foot drop off. Should...
Yes. Safety should always be a priority. There are way more dangerous obstacles on a race track than a 4 or 5 foot drop off. Should you remove all of them for safety reasons? MX is dangerous.

I never heard, but why was Dr. Bodnar in that situation anyway? Why was a mule on the race track in that spot? Almost sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy since he installed seat belts because he knew something was going to happen.
Why are you arguing this at all?

From a racing standpoint it will make ZERO difference if there is a slight slope on the drop off.

Is your point that jumping the Leap is more dangerous? That's done during the course of RACING. He's not changing the racing. He's trying to make it safer for when they aren't at full tilt.

If you've ever worked on a track you would know that shit happens in between races.

On the other hand...if the leap was a takeoff with a 50' drop away and a flat wall on the LANDING, it would be dangerous and need to be changed. That's not the case.
7/9/2010 9:10am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Yes. Safety should always be a priority. There are way more dangerous obstacles on a race track than a 4 or 5 foot drop off. Should...

txmxer wrote:
Why are you arguing this at all? From a racing standpoint it will make ZERO difference if there is a slight slope on the drop off...

From a racing standpoint it will make ZERO difference if there is a slight slope on the drop off.

Is your point that jumping the Leap is more dangerous? That's done during the course of RACING. He's not changing the racing. He's trying to make it safer for when they aren't at full tilt.

If you've ever worked on a track you would know that shit happens in between races.

On the other hand...if the leap was a takeoff with a 50' drop away and a flat wall on the LANDING, it would be dangerous and need to be changed. That's not the case.
I apologize txmxer. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on this. My bad. Let me know what other topics are off limits too or which ones I am allowed to comment on.

txmxer
7/9/2010 9:17am

txmxer wrote:
Why are you arguing this at all? From a racing standpoint it will make ZERO difference if there is a slight slope on the drop off...

I apologize txmxer. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on this. My bad. Let me know what other topics are off limits...
I apologize txmxer. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on this. My bad. Let me know what other topics are off limits too or which ones I am allowed to comment on.

apology accepted. I'll get back to you with the list.

But, why were you arguing this?
7/9/2010 9:24am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2010 9:24am
txmxer wrote:

I apologize txmxer. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion on this. My bad. Let me know what other topics are off limits...

txmxer wrote:
apology accepted. I'll get back to you with the list.

But, why were you arguing this?
Will it matter why? Anyway, because it is silly. I bet if you ask the 4 ( I think it is 4 anyway) people that have had an incident over a drop off they would all say they screwed up. Plain and simple.

I'll wait patiently for the list.
DC
7/9/2010 9:26am
Panic, it was between practices, on the ski jump right last the mechanics area. Eddie Casillas was sitting on the apex of the jump, on the medicks access road, in his own mule. John was doing a quick track check, as he's done at every other race he's been to in the last decade. He was talking to Eddie on the radio, looking further down the track at the jump and corner where Alessi crashed two years ago.

Like someone else mentioned, it's not during the races at sleed that they can be a problem, but in accidental situation like this. A water truck operator, medic, team mule (what if that had been Mitch Payton in a mule with no protective roll bar?) or other equipment traveling at a very slow rate of speed is the problem here.

And Mr. Albertson, that is also a great suggestion.

DC
MX Sports
WORCSRacer
7/9/2010 9:31am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
Absolutely DC the safety of the riders and the staff should be your priority, without question.

My disappointment is centered around the fact that many safety issues go unaddressed and yet this one which is centered around obstacles that are not difficult or dangerous seems to have gotten your undivided attention. How about addressing things like huge jumps like LaRoccos Leap, that a 250F shouldn't be doing, yet you know some young buck is going to come along and go for it out of bravdo and the stupidity of youth. When he shorts it and looks up at the medic and says, dude I can't feel my legs. Then what? How about the internal injuries that this sport endures because the top Pro's aren't required to wear any sort of core protection? Why not have Doc form a committee of other Dr.'s and address that problem? Or simply how about addressing ANY open gap jump on your race courses as being dangerous? Everyone knows it isn't any more difficult to jump a 60 ft gap than it is to jump a 60ft table yet the price for coming up 4ft short on a gap jump can be horrifically high. Why is the gap there, to look more spectacular for the "fans" of course... DC the list could go on and on.

To answer your direct question: as a matter of fact I do spend time thinking about the safety of riders. I have to, its part of my responsibilities too. Would I be angry and scared if I saw what happened to Doc? Hell ya! I also would have let the mud dry and let him settle down and then go over and ask him what the hell are you doing driving on the track with the mule? Because that is the real issue. What if Doc had driven down Mt. St. Helen in the mule gotten sideways in the mud and flipped his way down to the bottom? Would you grade the hill or take it out? With regards to Langston and the other parade lap incidents, why not eliminate parade laps? Maybe you should replace them with a parade lap walk... Just kinda borders on overkill doesn't it? Particularly when the real answer is to pay attention and understand what you do can bite you. Hard.

I understand you have genuine compassion and feeling about the riders in the series. You hate to see them injured at all, I get it. I feel the same way. I just would prefer that if issues are going to be addressed the real one's are.
SteveS
7/9/2010 9:55am
What don't people get about this? The issue is not of the risks a rider takes when he races around the track--calculated risks about what to do when faced with difficult conditions or obstacles. A drop-off is a piddly thing to handle during a race. Hardly any risk at all.

The issue is when people are NOT racing but are on the track for other reasons and aren't necessarily paying attention to what they are doing or where they are. Unlike other types of jumps, a dropoff isn't visible as you approach it. Depending on the lighting conditions, it can look just like smooth track ahead.

Chalking lines on the dirt like a basepath is the most obvious, simple way to mark the danger between motos. It does mean you have to have one of the little line marker deals at each jump and a guy who will run across the track a couple of times with it as soon as every practice or moto is over.
7/9/2010 10:09am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2010 10:11am
SteveS wrote:
What don't people get about this? The issue is not of the risks a rider takes when he races around the track--calculated risks about what to...
What don't people get about this? The issue is not of the risks a rider takes when he races around the track--calculated risks about what to do when faced with difficult conditions or obstacles. A drop-off is a piddly thing to handle during a race. Hardly any risk at all.

The issue is when people are NOT racing but are on the track for other reasons and aren't necessarily paying attention to what they are doing or where they are. Unlike other types of jumps, a dropoff isn't visible as you approach it. Depending on the lighting conditions, it can look just like smooth track ahead.

Chalking lines on the dirt like a basepath is the most obvious, simple way to mark the danger between motos. It does mean you have to have one of the little line marker deals at each jump and a guy who will run across the track a couple of times with it as soon as every practice or moto is over.
aren't necessarily paying attention to what they are doing or where they are.

Simple solution. Pay fucking attention. You are making excuses for people fucking up. If someone ran into a tent pole because they weren't paying attention would you remove all the tents or cover the poles in foam?
txmxer
7/9/2010 10:18am
SteveS wrote:
What don't people get about this? The issue is not of the risks a rider takes when he races around the track--calculated risks about what to...

aren't necessarily paying attention to what they are doing or where they are.Simple solution. Pay fucking attention. You are making excuses for people fucking up...

Simple solution. Pay fucking attention. You are making excuses for people fucking up. If someone ran into a tent pole because they weren't paying attention would you remove all the tents or cover the poles in foam?
In this kinder, gentler society of GuyB's...I should probably not post...but, you are complete and total fucking moron.

You are saying the ABSOLUTE stupidest shit. I tried to find out what would spark someone to say such stupid shit...but, you got all sassy like a little bitch.

How's this...they are changing the fucking jump you piece of shit. Don't like it? Fuck off. You are not needed.

7/9/2010 10:47am
SteveS wrote:

aren't necessarily paying attention to what they are doing or where they are.Simple solution. Pay fucking attention. You are making excuses for people fucking up...

txmxer wrote:
In this kinder, gentler society of GuyB's...I should probably not post...but, you are complete and total fucking moron. You are saying the ABSOLUTE stupidest shit. I...
In this kinder, gentler society of GuyB's...I should probably not post...but, you are complete and total fucking moron.

You are saying the ABSOLUTE stupidest shit. I tried to find out what would spark someone to say such stupid shit...but, you got all sassy like a little bitch.

How's this...they are changing the fucking jump you piece of shit. Don't like it? Fuck off. You are not needed.

LOL Is that all you got? I am sorry if it is over your head to be able to discuss without going to 4th grade name calling and such.

Bottom line I don't care if they change it or not, there will still be someone that screws up and gets hurt doing something else. Is that the type of guy you are?
brocster
7/9/2010 11:50am

all the revver is tyring to say is that the problem was a mule was on the track and that these are professional motocross racers and should know the track bump for bump race speed or not.

don't forget Jimmy Button guys...parade lap! but there have been whoops ever since...

i do agree with safety but there has to be a line drawn to be able to do your job. i deal with it at my own job. for safety statistics sake whenever someone gets hurt doing something the task or tool is smothered with red tape preventing you from being able to do your job and sooner or later we will be getting paid to show up cause we won't be able to do anything for the sake of getting hurt.

i also agree that there are bigger fish to fry addressing bigger problems such as do or die gaps on a race course...

bag away! i'm done
7/9/2010 2:49pm
Langston forgot he couldn't roll a drop off or he made a bone head mistake and was looking backwards as he went off of it? Anyway...
Langston forgot he couldn't roll a drop off or he made a bone head mistake and was looking backwards as he went off of it?

Anyway, glad you got it situated DC.
DownSouth wrote:
The riders have had incidents because they were proccupied with looking at track conditions and lines while on the sighting lap and those distractions led to...
The riders have had incidents because they were proccupied with looking at track conditions and lines while on the sighting lap and those distractions led to the accidents. The riders have been rolling around on sighing laps for years and a few have not adjusted to the new drop offs this year.
Langston was looking to the right and behind him. He EFFED up. Doc EFFED up. The WMA rider, I don't know the story but if she...
Langston was looking to the right and behind him. He EFFED up. Doc EFFED up. The WMA rider, I don't know the story but if she hit neutral then she EFFED up. Rider/driver error on all accounts.
YOU have to remember these bike hit nuetral alot more than they should as false nuetrals have been a problem for years ....
itchyalrgynut
7/9/2010 3:14pm
Man, I cant wait to get shit faced with my buddies tonight and brag about how my input helped change the drop offs!! Thanks DC!! Then in a few weeks when Im getting shit faced on sturday and watching the second motos live(Thanks again DC!!) I can say I told you so!!! God damn I'm thirsty now!!
7/9/2010 4:00pm
DownSouth wrote:
The riders have had incidents because they were proccupied with looking at track conditions and lines while on the sighting lap and those distractions led to...
The riders have had incidents because they were proccupied with looking at track conditions and lines while on the sighting lap and those distractions led to the accidents. The riders have been rolling around on sighing laps for years and a few have not adjusted to the new drop offs this year.
Langston was looking to the right and behind him. He EFFED up. Doc EFFED up. The WMA rider, I don't know the story but if she...
Langston was looking to the right and behind him. He EFFED up. Doc EFFED up. The WMA rider, I don't know the story but if she hit neutral then she EFFED up. Rider/driver error on all accounts.
YOU have to remember these bike hit nuetral alot more than they should as false nuetrals have been a problem for years ....
Yes I understand that, I really do. Been there and done that and ate shit because of it. I didn't tell the track owner to take out that little double after the corner that I did it on. Ok bike error on one account if indeed it was a false neutral. You can hit a false neutral on any part of the track. Isn't that what ended Bubba's A1 in 2009?
Trip
7/9/2010 4:35pm
This is just stupid.. I'm all for making things safe, but seriously, its a freakin' mx track!!! There may be some drop offs and some jumps. Doc needs to pay a fuckin attention!!!! Your on the track with a mule, pay attention!!! Langston? Same thing!! Why not fill in any jumps with a gap?? This is just the start of only one rider on the track at a time, best lap wins... Really getting hard to stay a fan...
oldx
7/9/2010 5:27pm
The decision has already been made. Why can't everyone just STFU about it now?
Crush
7/9/2010 5:34pm
It really is a simple fix, keep the jump size, just add a down side... the bikes will still launch, and if there is an angle of anything above 30 degrees the sponsor logos will still show on tv...
SXDoc
7/11/2010 10:29am
Just to clarify!

WORCSRacer wrote: "EXAMINE THE FACTS Doc Bodnar IGNORED several radio warning calls, that he admits to hearing, about drop off and drove off it anyway. Doc is a great guy and obviously smart but this was stupid on his part and he admits it. I am certain he isn't complaining that they are to dangerous. Langston's get off a week ago had exactly the same cause he brainfarted forgot it was there and then wadded. oops. Both of these were stupid mistakes. As close to stupid as the crashes is DC coming on here and apologizing and looking for a way to make something that isn't dangerous "safer". DC you want to make the sport safer? Worry about 4th gear tapped 120' footers that have a wheelchair waiting for you if you screw it up. That would be worth your time, this isn't."

WORCSRacer, I think you are being a bit HARSH in your response. I did not IGNORE "several" radio warning calls, I was already moving down the hill and I didn't even realize Eddie was talking to me (there are always several conversations going on the same channel at once). I was talking to a Team Manager and the ONE short message wasn't even picked up by my brain until my front wheels were already on the way down.

I was trying to get to the bottom of the track (where Alessi had his fall previously) in between practices, down the track where I had gone many times previously (the drop-off wasn't there the day before!), as there were vehicles in the normal path. I had already surveyed the track, as not to run over any deep rider lines (see photo) and yes, I was trying to get to my spot quickly as not to delay practice. Was it an accident? Yes. Was it done because I IGNORED a warning? Give me a break! I made a mistake in a part of the track that was recently changed and I wasn't aware.

I have only the UTMOST respect for Davey Coombs and MX Sports, as they have been aggressively pursuing ways to make the tracks safer EVERY WEEK! I applaud them for their efforts, and as these posts demonstrate, he is not afraid to look at the issues and correct them. MX Sports should be proud of their hard work and dedication, and believe me, there are many more issues that will undoubtedly come up in racing that will need re-evaluation as the season progresses, and they will handle them with the same openness and honesty that they have shown in the past. Fix things and move on, that always works for me!

I have never attempted to go down Mt. St. Helen's, but I am sure it would be a rush! I have gone down Shoei Hill to attend to riders and luckily have never crashed before. All of us working on an active track know the risks of getting injured by a wayward bike and rider (especially flaggers) but we take the risk every week (ask Jake Weimer) and look for ways to always improve. And yes, we are human and make mistakes. Luckily, I learned from mine and didn't find myself on the disabled list.

Doc Bodnar

500guy
7/11/2010 10:58am
Glad you are okay Doc.

Most of the bullshit is just attacks on D.C. and the typical grandstanding of I got an ear and will bend it because I can brag about it to my cronies.
pcdoc
7/11/2010 11:58am
We are so lucky to have people like DC and the Doc involved with our beloved sport. When racers run the racing and listen and adjust to make things better like DC has, it makes it better for all who love Motocross. Having a Doctor who understands racing and racers actually in attendance is priceless.
PS: DC, any chance of MX Sports taking over the operation of SX any time soon? Whistling
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
7/11/2010 12:04pm
Trip wrote:
This is just stupid.. I'm all for making things safe, but seriously, its a freakin' mx track!!! There may be some drop offs and some jumps...
This is just stupid.. I'm all for making things safe, but seriously, its a freakin' mx track!!! There may be some drop offs and some jumps. Doc needs to pay a fuckin attention!!!! Your on the track with a mule, pay attention!!! Langston? Same thing!! Why not fill in any jumps with a gap?? This is just the start of only one rider on the track at a time, best lap wins... Really getting hard to stay a fan...
DC, please keep making decisions that get Trip out of this sport.
WORCSRacer
7/11/2010 12:20pm
SXDoc wrote:
Just to clarify! WORCSRacer wrote: [b]"EXAMINE THE FACTS Doc Bodnar IGNORED several radio warning calls, that he admits to hearing, about drop off and drove off...
Just to clarify!

WORCSRacer wrote: "EXAMINE THE FACTS Doc Bodnar IGNORED several radio warning calls, that he admits to hearing, about drop off and drove off it anyway. Doc is a great guy and obviously smart but this was stupid on his part and he admits it. I am certain he isn't complaining that they are to dangerous. Langston's get off a week ago had exactly the same cause he brainfarted forgot it was there and then wadded. oops. Both of these were stupid mistakes. As close to stupid as the crashes is DC coming on here and apologizing and looking for a way to make something that isn't dangerous "safer". DC you want to make the sport safer? Worry about 4th gear tapped 120' footers that have a wheelchair waiting for you if you screw it up. That would be worth your time, this isn't."

WORCSRacer, I think you are being a bit HARSH in your response. I did not IGNORE "several" radio warning calls, I was already moving down the hill and I didn't even realize Eddie was talking to me (there are always several conversations going on the same channel at once). I was talking to a Team Manager and the ONE short message wasn't even picked up by my brain until my front wheels were already on the way down.

I was trying to get to the bottom of the track (where Alessi had his fall previously) in between practices, down the track where I had gone many times previously (the drop-off wasn't there the day before!), as there were vehicles in the normal path. I had already surveyed the track, as not to run over any deep rider lines (see photo) and yes, I was trying to get to my spot quickly as not to delay practice. Was it an accident? Yes. Was it done because I IGNORED a warning? Give me a break! I made a mistake in a part of the track that was recently changed and I wasn't aware.

I have only the UTMOST respect for Davey Coombs and MX Sports, as they have been aggressively pursuing ways to make the tracks safer EVERY WEEK! I applaud them for their efforts, and as these posts demonstrate, he is not afraid to look at the issues and correct them. MX Sports should be proud of their hard work and dedication, and believe me, there are many more issues that will undoubtedly come up in racing that will need re-evaluation as the season progresses, and they will handle them with the same openness and honesty that they have shown in the past. Fix things and move on, that always works for me!

I have never attempted to go down Mt. St. Helen's, but I am sure it would be a rush! I have gone down Shoei Hill to attend to riders and luckily have never crashed before. All of us working on an active track know the risks of getting injured by a wayward bike and rider (especially flaggers) but we take the risk every week (ask Jake Weimer) and look for ways to always improve. And yes, we are human and make mistakes. Luckily, I learned from mine and didn't find myself on the disabled list.

Doc Bodnar

Doc,

First and foremost I am so glad you're OK. Great call on the seat-belts too. Safety is and should be DC and anyone involved with MX Sports priority. You guys do a fantastic job. I'm sorry if I was too harsh on you I know its not that you're "stupid" but you have to admit things get foggy with excitement and adrenaline pumping, it was a mistake plain and simple. I doubt you'd ever make it again.

The real question for me through all of this is why the "drop off" when there are so many other issues that (IMO) need to be addressed as a more clear and present danger to the safety of the riders and the sport. i.e. development or research to better protect riders from internal injuries, huge gap jumps... I'd like to know what you think.

Thanks again for all your hard work and professionalism.
Bauer
7/11/2010 4:04pm
WORCSRacer wrote:
Doc, First and foremost I am so glad you're OK. Great call on the seat-belts too. Safety is and should be DC and anyone involved with...
Doc,

First and foremost I am so glad you're OK. Great call on the seat-belts too. Safety is and should be DC and anyone involved with MX Sports priority. You guys do a fantastic job. I'm sorry if I was too harsh on you I know its not that you're "stupid" but you have to admit things get foggy with excitement and adrenaline pumping, it was a mistake plain and simple. I doubt you'd ever make it again.

The real question for me through all of this is why the "drop off" when there are so many other issues that (IMO) need to be addressed as a more clear and present danger to the safety of the riders and the sport. i.e. development or research to better protect riders from internal injuries, huge gap jumps... I'd like to know what you think.

Why NOT the fucking dropoff? Because some things are inherently dangerous in the sport and are a part of it, other things that CAN be changed and made safer shouldn't be? WORCS, you have your head up your ass on this one. MX Sports should address every safety issue immediately and as far as I know it has done so. Your argument is ridiculous...
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
7/11/2010 5:27pm
SXDoc wrote:
Just to clarify! WORCSRacer wrote: [b]"EXAMINE THE FACTS Doc Bodnar IGNORED several radio warning calls, that he admits to hearing, about drop off and drove off...
Just to clarify!

Doc Bodnar

WORCSRacer wrote:
Doc, First and foremost I am so glad you're OK. Great call on the seat-belts too. Safety is and should be DC and anyone involved with...
Doc,

how many riders were injured on laroccos leap?

Post a reply to: Drop-offs: Update

The Latest