Drone footage of you @ the track

nolookpass
Quick question: how much would you pay someone to film you at the track for 30 minutes?

I have a drone and some nice camera equipment, and am able to get good, clean shots from various angles (drone/tripod and even holding an action cam in a corner). Sure, it's not something you'd do all the time, but if you were out with friends and you wanted a memory, or even to use as a training tool for another perspective, is this something you'd pay for?

I busted my knee and while I am waiting for it to heal, I was thinking of going to the track (all my friends are there every weekend still, so I go and hang out sometimes for a bit) and just asking around.

I could film w/ my GoPro and make an edit for them, or just supply them with raw footage, or film for 20-30 minutes with one of the client's GoPros.

What do you think? Good/Bad? Any idea as to a price point that would be reasonable?

I was thinking about $25 for 30 minutes (Drone battery is about 20 min, max), and another $50 if I make an edit. The edits would not exceed an hour of prep. Of course, I'd clear it with the track and I could position the drone so it's not obtrusive or go at a time when the place isn't as crowded (mid-week or something like that).

|
CrashMaster
4/7/2017 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 4:38pm
I think it would turn off who ever you were filming. "I could have swore I looked like a pro out there! Damn I'm slow!!!"
nolookpass
4/7/2017 4:41pm
I think it would turn off who ever you were filming. "I could have swore I looked like a pro out there! Damn I'm slow!!!"
Check this out (this is NOT mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGEOhBLg4c

I could do a mix of that, then you can park the drone (it'll hover in 1 spot easily) and tripod and someone can hit the same jump 2-3x and I can put in side-by-side in a video.

It's more of a fun-factor/share with my friends/parents (think like kids 10-15 or something) and more advanced or weekend-racers could use it as a tool.

Moreover, people might just think it's something "cool" to have.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/7/2017 4:57pm
Theres a guy at LACR who was trying to do this, or maybe he does it. I think he was trying to get $7-$10 for 15 minute session.
Cygnus
4/7/2017 6:36pm
I bought a high dollar camera and printer when I bought my track. Thought it would be a good way to make a few extra bucks. I gave away more pics than I sold.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/7/2017 6:42pm
Cygnus wrote:
I bought a high dollar camera and printer when I bought my track. Thought it would be a good way to make a few extra bucks...
I bought a high dollar camera and printer when I bought my track. Thought it would be a good way to make a few extra bucks. I gave away more pics than I sold.
People and signage. Wink
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/7/2017 9:58pm
There's a guy at my track who's been trying to get $250 for a one minute edit. Not even using a drone.

If you were in my area and shooting 30 minutes worth of drone footage I would gladly pay you $50 bucks just for the raw footage. Not even for some sick edit but to check suspension behavior and technique. That would be invaluable
nolookpass
4/7/2017 10:36pm
There's a guy at my track who's been trying to get $250 for a one minute edit. Not even using a drone. If you were in...
There's a guy at my track who's been trying to get $250 for a one minute edit. Not even using a drone.

If you were in my area and shooting 30 minutes worth of drone footage I would gladly pay you $50 bucks just for the raw footage. Not even for some sick edit but to check suspension behavior and technique. That would be invaluable
Right. I'm not trying to get rich off this nor am I trying to make this a business. More or less, I'm there anyway and was curious if people thought it was a cool or unique idea to offer. Making $25 or so just pays for gas and a snack really. I'll shop around costs and see what people say at the track. Thanks for your feedback.
xplane
4/8/2017 12:17am
I would suggest that you either do it for free with faster riders and your friends while you gain skill editing and figure out if this is for you OR just go at it and charge as much money as possible (you do live in Cali). There's no middle ground...don't waste time making chump change on something that's setup / labor intensive and includes a huge gear cost component.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/8/2017 10:07am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 10:50am
Here was the first time i filmed with my Yuncee drone. Only flew it once before this so was careful and stayed really high up even though it has obstacle avoidance system. Same one used for x games footage. Films in 4k. Now i can have it auto follow you around at close range but i brought my remote that it follows on vacation so i could read up on the controls and left it because it looks like a regular remote. Lol have to order new one.
Dkc drone
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/8/2017 10:21am
Check out this video at the 2 minute mark. It is amazing what my drone will do. Just crazy to think of the technology we are aloud to play with let alone what we are not. Lol
watch from 2:00 mark

KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
4/8/2017 11:40am
Theres a guy at LACR who was trying to do this, or maybe he does it. I think he was trying to get $7-$10 for 15...
Theres a guy at LACR who was trying to do this, or maybe he does it. I think he was trying to get $7-$10 for 15 minute session.
$7 to $10?????? Even for only 15 minutes that is so cheap when you factor in the equipment needed and if there is any editing time beyond the shooting time.
4/8/2017 12:30pm
nolookpass wrote:
Quick question: how much would you pay someone to film you at the track for 30 minutes? I have a drone and some nice camera equipment...
Quick question: how much would you pay someone to film you at the track for 30 minutes?

I have a drone and some nice camera equipment, and am able to get good, clean shots from various angles (drone/tripod and even holding an action cam in a corner). Sure, it's not something you'd do all the time, but if you were out with friends and you wanted a memory, or even to use as a training tool for another perspective, is this something you'd pay for?

I busted my knee and while I am waiting for it to heal, I was thinking of going to the track (all my friends are there every weekend still, so I go and hang out sometimes for a bit) and just asking around.

I could film w/ my GoPro and make an edit for them, or just supply them with raw footage, or film for 20-30 minutes with one of the client's GoPros.

What do you think? Good/Bad? Any idea as to a price point that would be reasonable?

I was thinking about $25 for 30 minutes (Drone battery is about 20 min, max), and another $50 if I make an edit. The edits would not exceed an hour of prep. Of course, I'd clear it with the track and I could position the drone so it's not obtrusive or go at a time when the place isn't as crowded (mid-week or something like that).

I was recently down in Alabama/Georgia on a solo moto trip and would of killed for a service like this! $25 for 30 minutes would be a steal and I would easily pay that. I would also pay much more if you offered a service where you not only get drone footage, but also close-up footage with a high end video camera with some nice angles through the corners and jumps etc. Also if you were to get really good with it, you could sell promo packs for riders that would showcase their riding/personality in a professionally edited video. If it was very well done I would probably pay anywhere from $200-$400 depending on length and difficulty involved in getting shots.
Question
4/8/2017 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 1:05pm
I guess that well filmed (drone and ground), without music/raw, with rider intro/racing cv, sponsors included, then posted on youtube etc, quite a hundred riders would be ok in the 100-300 range (or some % given away, parts or gear).

Post a reply to: Drone footage of you @ the track

The Latest