Drone footage of Nationals?!?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/8/2021 6:12 AM

I saw a drone following the pack for the first motos at Thunder. Anyone seen the footage anywhere? Really hoping they release the video.
Loved the footage they got from the helicopter a couple years back at Ironman, gave you a whole new perspective of the track. Would be so cool if they did that for every race.

|

6/8/2021 8:34 AM

5280mx wrote:

I saw a drone following the pack for the first motos at Thunder. Anyone seen the footage anywhere? Really hoping they release ...more

They briefly used it to show the track, crowd etc in the broadcast. I don't recall it being used at any point to follow race action.

|

6/8/2021 9:01 AM

5280mx wrote:

I saw a drone following the pack for the first motos at Thunder. Anyone seen the footage anywhere? Really hoping they release ...more

Dirty Points wrote:

They briefly used it to show the track, crowd etc in the broadcast. I don't recall it being used at any point to follow race ...more

I watched it follow the lead pack for the first 250 moto as well as the restart...it was absolutely following the race action, although I did not see it after that. Hopefully they are putting a cool video together, would love to see that footage!

|

6/8/2021 10:15 AM

I saw one flying around Pala as well.

|

6/8/2021 11:22 AM

aeffertz wrote:

I saw one flying around Pala as well.

Maybe they are planning on putting a vid together of the Nats at some point, fingers crossed.

|

6/8/2021 4:09 PM

John Ayers often flies over the facility on race days, just to get images of the track, pit layout, etc. Unfortunately, he got injured last week, so they were looking for a replacement to fly (I think Lebig handled that).

I haven't noticed one involved in race coverage, but I'm mostly watching the action.

|

6/8/2021 4:28 PM

They had a drone following the pack in the Sonoma Nascar race Sunday and it was really cool! I don't think they have any spectating on the infield at that race so maybe they feel safe flying it around like that as long as it doesn't get near the crowd?

|

6/8/2021 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2021 5:19 PM

Drone footage of motocross is pretty rad, but you need to have a good drone pilot. I tried my stint in shooting moto with a drone, but with a DJI Mavic 2 Pro that wasn't made to chase after dirtbikes going 50+mph. Its a cinematic drone that has a lot of fancy automation and tech, but all of it is disabled in Sport mode (needed to go 45mph), so its purely manual flying without any obstacle avoidance. It took a lot of practice but i was able to get some pretty neat shots and make a few cool edits, but never really turned it into a side gig or anything. Its pretty dicey flying a $1600 drone low to the ground chasing after dirtbike rider with power lines and telephone poles (at pala) to deal with. I eventually crashed it into those very powerlines running across the track (even after flying underneath them 100 times before) and caused a lot of damage. Had to basically rebuild the entire thing myself and then sold it for what i paid for it around the time of the first stim checks grin

shameless plugs here:

Cal Classic 2019 track preview:

Bryan Wallace of dreamtraxx carving first tracks on that 2019 cal classic track layout:

Pro rider Jeremy Smith practicing at Pala before the 2019 national:

Local rider tossing whips and stuff at pala:

Another pala track preview in 2019.
|

6/8/2021 6:21 PM

Uhm - 35% of live GNCC race is drone cams. Been that way for 2 seasons.

|

6/8/2021 10:11 PM

GuyB wrote:

John Ayers often flies over the facility on race days, just to get images of the track, pit layout, etc. Unfortunately, he got ...more

I thought I was seeing things at first, but when they restarted the 250 race I saw it again, following the leaders. Either way, thanks for the input.

|

6/9/2021 5:46 AM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Drone footage of motocross is pretty rad, but you need to have a good drone pilot. I tried my stint in shooting moto with a ...more

Awesome stuff there, thanks for sharing. It takes a lot of practice to get to that point, kinda bummed you sold it. I'm a lifelong photographer just getting into the drone scene with a mini2. Only had it out about 3 times so far at Thunder and another local track, so much fun. That said, it is unnerving and I'm always watching out for those power lines lol.
It was absolutely a professional pilot and drone I saw flying at Thunder for the nats, speed was pacing leaders perfectly and he was "hitting his marks" in the corners.

|

6/9/2021 5:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2021 5:57 AM

Two drones were allowed to go up at Thunder Valley, one by Tommy Tenders of Team Fried who is helping out with the TV coverage and the other by Stephan LeGrand (LeBig) who was doing still photos at race time of the whole facility for future parking and planning purposes and of course publishing. NBC frowns on drones for the most part, especially flying over crowds and the actual competition. If another one went up, it was unauthorized, though I would love to see the footage too.

DC
Racer X

|

6/9/2021 6:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2021 6:08 AM

This is probably the reason NBC don't dig drones over crowds and athletes.

|

6/9/2021 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2021 10:48 AM

DC wrote:

Two drones were allowed to go up at Thunder Valley, one by Tommy Tenders of Team Fried who is helping out with the TV coverage ...more

Thanks for taking the time to share that info DC, much appreciated!
I hope we get to see the footage at some point.

|

6/9/2021 2:10 PM

Ridelow wrote:

This is probably the reason NBC don't dig drones over crowds and athletes.

That and the drone noise ruining their broadcast audio.

|

6/9/2021 2:23 PM

Its all about litigation

|