Deano answering a question for Eli

Lester
Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 5:16pm
In the post race press conference, GuyB asked Eli a question and Dean answered it...had me cracking up a bit. see here
|
7/9/2017 10:08am
Haha I saw that, been awhile for Deano probably a bit nervous up there
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
7/9/2017 10:53am
That was funny.

Blake's facial response on the "6 years since my last press conference" was classic too. Since those 3 battled and were the 250 champs in 11/12/13.
Cortami79
7/9/2017 11:51pm
Haha you can't blame the guy, I'm really happy for him and hopefully he will continue these results in the future.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
7/10/2017 12:10am
That was funny. Blake's facial response on the "6 years since my last press conference" was classic too. Since those 3 battled and were the 250...
That was funny.

Blake's facial response on the "6 years since my last press conference" was classic too. Since those 3 battled and were the 250 champs in 11/12/13.
2011 would be the last time he was on the podium outdoors.

The Shop

Acidreamer
7/10/2017 3:57am
I felt extremely cringey when i saw that. Blake and eli had a look in their eyes like they were trying to hold back from laughing so hard.
IWreckALot
7/10/2017 4:58am
Acidreamer wrote:
I felt extremely cringey when i saw that. Blake and eli had a look in their eyes like they were trying to hold back from laughing...
I felt extremely cringey when i saw that. Blake and eli had a look in their eyes like they were trying to hold back from laughing so hard.
Lol. Yeah they both looked a bit confused.
tingo
7/10/2017 6:49am
It turned out to be a great question for Dean, though. I was waiting for the follow-up to be: "same question for you, Eli."
Crush
7/10/2017 7:05am
Ah, why did no-one address it?!

That made it more awkward!
Titan1
7/10/2017 7:31am
Man...these press conferences are always cringe-worthy. I don't understand why these riders don't invest in PR people or someone to train them how to act and what to say in public.

They represent their brand, and outside of their riding they don't do a very good job of it.

(Eli seems to be the best at this...maybe his dad has trained him on how to handle the media or something?)
Rowlands
7/10/2017 7:45am

Haha this was funny. I find awkward situations hilarious.

But I agree these press conferences are pretty cringe worthy but it's good for us hardcore fans as we get to hear a bit of banter and personality from the riders. In F1 the guys are like a broken record. Same questions same answers.
IWreckALot
7/10/2017 8:12am
Titan1 wrote:
Man...these press conferences are always cringe-worthy. I don't understand why these riders don't invest in PR people or someone to train them how to act and...
Man...these press conferences are always cringe-worthy. I don't understand why these riders don't invest in PR people or someone to train them how to act and what to say in public.

They represent their brand, and outside of their riding they don't do a very good job of it.

(Eli seems to be the best at this...maybe his dad has trained him on how to handle the media or something?)
I'd rather have what we have now than some polished canned speech or something. Dean answering Tomac's question was innocent enough and pretty funny. Even Deano can laugh at himself there.
tingo
7/10/2017 8:23am
For those that think they are cringe-worthy, what makes them so?

Side note: Why did we go back to the side-of-the-table camera placement for the Southwick presser after finally having the straight on shot at Red Budd? Yeah, yeah, I'm the only one complaining about it.

Red Budded (MM is talking):

Southwick (Dean is answering Eli's question, and even Blake has to look wayyy over there to see him):

Hman144
Fantasy
713th
7/10/2017 8:54am
You're not the only one noticing. The side shots drive me nuts, especially when the dude closest to the camera can't keep from picking his nose or wiping his face with his shirt. Criminy guys!
mxjon454
7/10/2017 9:13am
I thought that was hilarious. Deano hasnt been in a press conference in ages so just let him answer all the questions hahaha
Frodad78
7/10/2017 9:17am
I watched it on RacerX and it was a straight on camera angle through the whole thing.
7/10/2017 9:32am
Cringeworthy? Geez. Dean misheard. It was awkward? Maybe if you're 12. A good laugh after? Sure.

The press conferences are fine snowflakes.

tingo
7/10/2017 9:35am
Frodad78 wrote:
I watched it on RacerX and it was a straight on camera angle through the whole thing.
Interesting. I always watch the pressers via the links provided here on the Vital homepage. The Red Budddd vid did switch to the side shot a few times when JA was talking, but was otherwise head on.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
7/10/2017 9:39am
That was funny, and I'm talking about hearing GuyB's voice...
aeffertz
7/10/2017 10:27am
Titan1 wrote:
Man...these press conferences are always cringe-worthy. I don't understand why these riders don't invest in PR people or someone to train them how to act and...

I think Alex Martin is hands down the best speaker we have in our sport. Dungey was good but he was a bit predictable and always has kinda canned responses. Same with Eli, too.

A Mart always impresses me with his interviews and transparency.
Titan1
7/10/2017 11:03am
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
I'd rather have what we have now than some polished canned speech or something. Dean answering Tomac's question was innocent enough and pretty funny. Even Deano...
I'd rather have what we have now than some polished canned speech or something. Dean answering Tomac's question was innocent enough and pretty funny. Even Deano can laugh at himself there.
They wouldn't be trained to be robots...they'd be trained how to best represent their brand (how to sit, what to do with their hands, what to say, how to say it, etc. etc.). Their brand is their personality and image, so the last thing they'd try and do is eliminate that...they'd just make them far more confident, far less awkward and far more poised on camera. Movie Stars do this...they get it...they are trained as to how to leverage their best qualities for the benefit of their brand/image, all without changing their personality.

Anyway, if I were a professional athlete...I'd do it. And if I were a professional race team, I'd require it of my riders.

Zach blowing snot rockets on the podium, Blake picking his nose and touching his face, all the riders saying "uh" and "um" to much, and stupid phrases like "I can't thank blah blah blah" while leaving off "enough", repeating themselves all the time, ending questions with "so yeah"...its totally amateur and cringe worthy. And a little training from a professional, could easily correct all of that.

Just my opinion though...
Camp332
7/10/2017 11:04am
Very professional of Eli, and Blake holding it together. Good for Deano! My whole family is a fan of DW.
F.B
7/10/2017 12:08pm
I picture Alf everytime I hear GuyB's voice. I just can't help it.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/10/2017 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 12:43pm
F.B wrote:
I picture Alf everytime I hear GuyB's voice. I just can't help it.

Yeah, but my French pronounciation is much worse. Wink

But yeah, there's a reason I try to minimize the amount you hear me in interviews. Wink
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/10/2017 12:28pm
Titan1 wrote:
They wouldn't be trained to be robots...they'd be trained how to best represent their brand (how to sit, what to do with their hands, what to...
They wouldn't be trained to be robots...they'd be trained how to best represent their brand (how to sit, what to do with their hands, what to say, how to say it, etc. etc.). Their brand is their personality and image, so the last thing they'd try and do is eliminate that...they'd just make them far more confident, far less awkward and far more poised on camera. Movie Stars do this...they get it...they are trained as to how to leverage their best qualities for the benefit of their brand/image, all without changing their personality.

Anyway, if I were a professional athlete...I'd do it. And if I were a professional race team, I'd require it of my riders.

Zach blowing snot rockets on the podium, Blake picking his nose and touching his face, all the riders saying "uh" and "um" to much, and stupid phrases like "I can't thank blah blah blah" while leaving off "enough", repeating themselves all the time, ending questions with "so yeah"...its totally amateur and cringe worthy. And a little training from a professional, could easily correct all of that.

Yeah no.
mauidex
7/10/2017 12:39pm
GuyB wrote:
Yeah no.
forgot "fer sure" !!!...............yeah.no.for sure.LaughingLaughing
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/10/2017 12:42pm
mauidex wrote:
forgot "fer sure" !!!...............yeah.no.for sure.LaughingLaughing
'zactly. Which is it? I'm confused. Smile
7/10/2017 12:52pm
Titan1 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
I'd rather have what we have now than some polished canned speech or something. Dean answering Tomac's question was innocent enough and pretty funny. Even Deano...
Titan1 wrote:
They wouldn't be trained to be robots...they'd be trained how to best represent their brand (how to sit, what to do with their hands, what to...

You heard it here first. Pro MX riders need to carry themselves more like movie stars. Laughing
IWreckALot
7/10/2017 1:15pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Titan1 wrote:

You heard it here first. Pro MX riders need to carry themselves more like movie stars. Laughing
I think I get what Titan is saying now. And some of the things they do definitely detract from their message.

Movie stars and most sports athletes are generally educated to some degree. MX/SX riders drop out of high school to pursue their profession. Most of the time they're led to that profession outside of knowing any alternative realistically. They don't really care about speaking on the podium because it doesn't help them win. I guess I'm able to look past all of the snot rockets and just listen to what they're saying.

I know a lot of people say Dungey was a robot on the podium, but in many cases, I am not sure what people wanted to hear specifically. He was definitely a team's dream champion.
7/10/2017 1:29pm
Titan1 wrote:

Post a reply to: Deano answering a question for Eli

The Latest