Downsizing from 450 to a 250 (4stroke)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2017 9:57 PM

Okay so i took a 10 year break from motocross. Not by my choice, i use to race a 125 2 stroke but when i came back i bought a 2014 honda cr450r and started racing again. Ive been to 6 races and improved every single one. But ive got bugs in my ear telling me i would be better off on a 250 (4stroke). Like i said ive been doing nothing but better and im about to start another series and was wondering if someone could give me a little guidance because i feel good on the 450 but in the back of my mind i feel like they could be right about downsizing.. help!! (I weigh 180lbs and im 23)

|

9/28/2017 10:03 PM

Ride a 250f back to back with a 450 and I’ll bet you a $ against a doughnut hole you’ll want a 250f. Try to find a big bore 250f as well. This macho mentality of having a 450 is crap. It’s like the 500’s back in the day. No one wanted to ride them except for the ones who wanted to make money. Oh wait, a 500 is a 2stroke so they’re the cat’s meow right?? Lol. Do yourself a favor, ride a smaller bike and see for yourself. If for some reason you can’t, I’d still get a 250f. You’ll be loads more comfortable and get back into rhythm faster and soon enough in a year or two you’ll be ready for the lazy boy 450’s.

|

9/28/2017 11:46 PM

In almost all situations I encounter, I prefer the 250f to the 450f, but I'm not large.
The only downside for me is, a 250f generally requires more maintenance than its bigger brother as they get used at a higher rpm.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

9/28/2017 11:50 PM

350!

|

9/28/2017 11:52 PM

I like riding a 250f better except in the sand, then you will wish you had a 450. If you don't ride a lot of deep tracks go with the 250.

|

9/28/2017 11:57 PM

Fc350, ktm350 or tm300f

|

9/29/2017 12:02 AM

Yep, 350. Top end of a 250, tamed down grunt of a 450, none of the high maintenance of a big bore 250.

|

9/29/2017 12:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2017 12:03 AM

I would try a newer yamaha 250f or ktm 250f then. both have the strongest motors with i believe the yamaha getting the nod. Also try a ktm 150 or 300 you will be absolutely suprised. im not sure what the time line is on you buying this bike but try alllsss the bikes.

but def the yamaha 250f or 250fx would be your best bet

thx

|

9/29/2017 2:06 AM

hyler199 wrote:

I would try a newer yamaha 250f or ktm 250f then. both have the strongest motors with i believe the yamaha getting the nod. Also try a ktm 150 or 300 you will be absolutely suprised. im not sure what the time line is on you buying this bike but try alllsss the bikes.

but def the yamaha 250f or 250fx would be your best bet

thx

I reckon that new Honda will be up there for power.

|

9/29/2017 2:17 AM

Jrewing wrote:

I reckon that new Honda will be up there for power.

Yes, and coming in with Spring forks as well, which is a big deal in my book.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

9/29/2017 3:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2017 3:11 AM

hyler199 wrote:

I would try a newer yamaha 250f or ktm 250f then. both have the strongest motors with i believe the yamaha getting the nod. Also try a ktm 150 or 300 you will be absolutely suprised. im not sure what the time line is on you buying this bike but try alllsss the bikes.

but def the yamaha 250f or 250fx would be your best bet

thx

Jrewing wrote:

I reckon that new Honda will be up there for power.

tempura wrote:

Yes, and coming in with Spring forks as well, which is a big deal in my book.

And a chassis that is pin-point but only enhanced by the 250 gyro and lightness. I believe it'll be the new 250 yardstick

|

9/29/2017 3:17 AM

I agree. I'm thinking about selling my crf250 and buying one. I heard on Sunday that they won't be available here until November/December time.

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

9/29/2017 3:50 AM

Youd get bored of a 250. Unless youre having issues controlling the 450 id stick with it. 450s are so fun to ride because of all the torque.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

9/29/2017 4:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2017 4:57 AM

the way it sounds is you can can get around the track on a 450, but like most of us we are nowhere near fast enough to tapping into its true potential. downsizing to a 250F will make you a better rider in the long run and say 2-3 years down the road if you step back onto a 450 you'll feel like a whole new rider. you'll learn how to carry momentum and really push a bike rather than take a seat and let the big motor work. I speak from expeirence, i've been in that spot where im content with how easy it is spin laps on a 450.

|

I don't crash, I just run out of talent

9/29/2017 5:05 AM

I downsized this year from a crf450 to a fc250. Yes the fc250 is fun, however I miss the ability to get through rough sections and technical jumps with just a whack of the throttle. 450 hp is awesome.

|

9/29/2017 5:12 AM

swtwtwtw wrote:

I downsized this year from a crf450 to a fc250. Yes the fc250 is fun, however I miss the ability to get through rough sections and technical jumps with just a whack of the throttle. 450 hp is awesome.

What about the other stuff when you downsized. Corner speed? How does the husky run seeing it's the strongest 250?

|

9/29/2017 5:42 AM

The 250f is a fun bike, especially the KTM/Husqvarna and Yamaha.

But unless you want to race in a 250f class i would took at the SX/TC 250 2017-2018. Easy to ride, very light and lots of power(not too much). Such an awesome bike!

|

9/29/2017 6:14 AM

swtwtwtw wrote:

I downsized this year from a crf450 to a fc250. Yes the fc250 is fun, however I miss the ability to get through rough sections and technical jumps with just a whack of the throttle. 450 hp is awesome.

Jrewing wrote:

What about the other stuff when you downsized. Corner speed? How does the husky run seeing it's the strongest 250?

Well, I will put it this way, when I daydream about riding I am focusing on momentum. I also have a tc250 and the extra 5hp is a noticeable difference vs the 250f. However, when i am riding well i am told by others that they thought i was on a bigger bike. With my current setup i can pull 3rd gear starts and, yes my corner speed, ability to hit inside ruts has improved.

|

9/29/2017 6:25 AM

Acidreamer wrote:

Youd get bored of a 250. Unless youre having issues controlling the 450 id stick with it. 450s are so fun to ride because of all the torque.

I disagree. I have buddies that think the same as you. They like the power so they can be lazy in the corner and still send the big jumps (not a stab at you or them). It is just what they love about riding. Me, I think the 450 is boring because I'm not fast enough to push the bike. It's just to much for me to have fun on. I went from a 125 to 250f to 450 to 300t to 350 and now a 144. I like the little bike because it is soooo much fun to push around. I never worry about it getting out of hand. It is a good feeling when I come off the track after riding and feel like I was really pushing the bike.

FYI-The KTM 350 was the most fun I've ever had on a 4 stroke.

|

9/29/2017 7:01 AM

Your best best is to try them both out. A 450 4 stroke is my favorite bike of all time. I took about a 9 year break from riding and bought a 450 to get back into it. I have way more fun on one compared to a 250.

|

9/29/2017 7:13 AM

Or like me, if you want to change it up, go to a 250 2 stroke. I have noticed a big difference in my corner speed since I switched a year ago. Sold my 450 since I was enjoying the 2 stroke so much. 1 day I may go back to the 450, but I'm also that guy(doing a 500 aluminum frame conversion).

|

9/29/2017 8:21 AM

You're not the first one to downsize lately. Everyone hoping on a big 450 I feel is a thing of the past. The new 250f are so fast. The Yamaha bottom end will really impress you. Especially at your size you will be fine. The 250 will help you learn to keep more momentum and ride the bike to its full potential instead of just managing the power.

Look for a Yamaha or KTm demo day if you don't have friends who will let you try. Honda is also coming out with a new 250f in November which might be most comfortable for you.

|

9/29/2017 8:24 AM

Acidreamer wrote:

Youd get bored of a 250. Unless youre having issues controlling the 450 id stick with it. 450s are so fun to ride because of all the torque.

racingfortheson wrote:

I disagree. I have buddies that think the same as you. They like the power so they can be lazy in the corner and still send the big jumps (not a stab at you or them). It is just what they love about riding. Me, I think the 450 is boring because I'm not fast enough to push the bike. It's just to much for me to have fun on. I went from a 125 to 250f to 450 to 300t to 350 and now a 144. I like the little bike because it is soooo much fun to push around. I never worry about it getting out of hand. It is a good feeling when I come off the track after riding and feel like I was really pushing the bike.

FYI-The KTM 350 was the most fun I've ever had on a 4 stroke.

Yea depends on the person. I think the main reason i have the opinion is because im a lot heavier than the average person. 250s always leave me wondering where the ass is on the bike.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

9/29/2017 8:57 AM

I'm in a similar boat as OP. I had ridden/raced a CR250 in high school and my first 4 stroke was an RMZ450. I recently purchased a kx250f (needs rebuilt) so I can see which displacement I like best. I've never ridden a 250f. So we'll see! I suggest the same, if you can. Ride both and then decide which is best for you.

|

9/29/2017 9:13 AM

I found that 450s have to be ridden fast, or the extra weight just beats you up. Unfortunately, they need to be a little ridden a little faster than I wanted to go. I had my best results on a 250F. It is still fast enough to get a good start and I made up time in the corners on the 250F. I like a 250 two-stroke too, but you gotta keep momentum and take the outside lines when the four-strokes are carving up the inside. And you can rebuild a two-stroke pretty much endlessly.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/29/2017 9:25 AM

I wonder what would happen if we were to all 'speak with our wallets' and just buy 250fs. Maybe we would get the 125 class back.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

9/29/2017 10:16 AM

Those people speaking in your ear just want to beat you on the track

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

9/29/2017 10:23 AM

Acidreamer wrote:

Youd get bored of a 250. Unless youre having issues controlling the 450 id stick with it. 450s are so fun to ride because of all the torque.

I find the opposite. I went from 450's to 250f's about 10 years ago. I decided to buy a 450 earlier this year to see if I might like it better just for grins. Wen with a "slow" CRF450r. Yeah, not so much. You can make mistakes (which you will) and still make jumps sure but I don't feel near as smooth or in control. (Vet B rider). 250f is the perfect bike (or 350 but as a part time rider and tow boys serious riders that isn't a good idea at moment). I haven't found a jump yet I couldn't make on a 250f that I cold on the 450 & what's nice with the 250f is just pick a gear and pin it. Whoops/jumps etc less worry of whiskey. Get killed on starts in Vet classes though............

|

9/29/2017 10:41 AM

The mindset I like to have is learning to ride a "slow" bike fast rather than riding a fast bike slow or average. That's the whole school of thought behind the 125 and the benefits it can have on a riders ability. The same thing applies to the 250f vs 450f argument (just not to the extent of a 125). On a 250f momentum and corner speed are going to be more important in maintaining flow around the track and being able to hit all the jumps as opposed to a 450 where you can crack the throttle open to make all the jumps but be lazy as hell around the rest of the track if you wanted to which is something I see from a lot of the less experienced riders putting around on 450s at the tracks I ride.

Some people feel that a 450 suits them better and that's fine with me. Obviously for big and/or heavyset guys a 450 may be the way to go even for a beginner. But in most cases I don't see the point if you can't push a 250 to its limit or at least close to it. And 250s nowadays are pretty quick.

250 2 stroke as several have already mentioned is another great option to consider.

|

9/29/2017 11:05 AM

I found myself in a similar predicament only the opposite.

I was riding a 250F at 185 lbs and I had to beat it pretty good to go anywhere.

Im slow anyways, so it was even harder to keep it going.

I dont like the feel of the 450's never have. The bike may not be heavier but it feels a ton heavier because of the inertia.

I went with the 350, and it has been the best bike I have owned.

Ride one of those, 180lbs on the 250f is the limit for sure.

|