Don't buy your kid cheap boots

Related:
Create New Tag

7/14/2021 10:24 AM

TCX Evo Comp 2s or Tech 10s getting ordered soon. I don't want to see this ever again. My damn fault for taking a set for free just cause they fit. Just a bad sprain cause he is young, fit, and flexible, but it screwed up what was a great weekend to this point. He'd holeshot all 4 of his Support Open C motos and was 2nd overall after 3 motos. On a supermini.

Photo

Photo

Hammer 663s

|

7/14/2021 10:28 AM

Ouch! That looks like it hurt. My shit would snap like a twig if I did that.

|

7/14/2021 10:38 AM

Ouch I learned that lesson long time ago. Cased a jump and thought I broke both my ankles.

I was there racing 40+ intermediate first moto was horrible. First lap in guy right in front of me cross ruts. I was on the gas in 4th too had no time to react. T boned him hard threw me over the bike.

Landed about 15 feet on the back on my head / neck left shoulder. Hit hard enough my whole left arm was numb and tingling for a good minute. I finished my moto just cruising a lap down. Rather sore rest of the weekend still feeling it today. So glad it didn't damage the bike really bad.

Feel bad for the guy I hit because I hit him hard. My 6d helmet did it's job.

|

7/14/2021 10:42 AM

Never cheap out on boots and helmets. Invest in suspension before anything else on the bike with correct tires specific for your dirt a close second.

|

7/14/2021 10:50 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

Ouch I learned that lesson long time ago. Cased a jump and thought I broke both my ankles.

I was there racing 40+ ...more

Ouch! I was there watching Hammer and his boy race this weekend... looked like a blast. Did you do that up horsepower hill?

|

7/14/2021 10:53 AM

brocster wrote:

Never cheap out on boots and helmets. Invest in suspension before anything else on the bike with correct tires specific for ...more

Pro Circuit suspension and fresh Pirelli MX32 Mid/softs were on it for the weekend. Bell Moto 9 helmet and Leatt chest/neck protector. Only the boots were inferior. Won't be the next time he rides. I might replace the helmet cause it took a pretty good hit too when he went OTB. Tried to triple out of the Washougal whoops and shorted it just a tad.

He's feeing better today and is planning on riding Saturday. I too would have snapped like a twig if I hit like that.

Hammer 663s

|

7/14/2021 11:07 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

I was there racing 40+ ...more

StevenMX wrote:

Ouch! I was there watching Hammer and his boy race this weekend... looked like a blast. Did you do that up horsepower hill?

It happened right after the jump right over by the starting gate. That like flat area going to the left hander before you go up horse power hill. I Landed on a hard pack area too.

|

7/14/2021 1:39 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the boots, but that can happen to the best and or most expensive gear, no two crashes are the same.

|

Ed Johnson

7/14/2021 1:59 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the boots, but that can happen to the best and or most expensive gear, no two crashes are the ...more

Exactly...looks like a crash ruined the weekend not the boots. But I agree 100% on not cheaping out on boots.

|

I expect to have a very short posting career.

7/14/2021 1:59 PM

I helped a kid off the track this weekend with a bone popping out of the skin in his foot. Brand new bike, new top of the line helmet, gear, knee braces, whole 9 yards looking factory. He was wearing some old pair of fox boots that looked like hammy downs. First thing I thought when we took the boot off was how if he was wearing a proper pair of boots like the rest of his gear it wouldn't of happened. Definitely not worth going cheap on boots after seeing that!

Glad you're kid made it out better then this one did!

|

7/14/2021 2:11 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the boots, but that can happen to the best and or most expensive gear, no two crashes are the ...more

When I got home I took a close look at them. They are a major name brand, but on the low end of their line. I can fold them in half laterally, to the inside, at the ankle. There is no bracing or structure to stop it other than the boot shell. They are more difficult to fold to the outside. It's clear they are not designed to handle the stress of a higher speed impact. Not blaming the boot for that - at certain price point you get what you get, right? The same brand's top of the line boot is NOT going to fold like this, under that same impact, and I have seen the construction that prevents it. That's what he will be wearing as soon as they get here. I've been watching him get faster and faster, and I think I got complacent because he so rarely hits the ground. Well, I learned a lesson.

Hammer 663s

|

7/14/2021 2:22 PM

I’ve been there and done that and now have limited mobility in the ankle and foot to show for it. After trying a few different top of the line boots, all great In there own way, I don’t wear anything other than the TCX EVO comp 2 with the Mitchelin sole. I just feel they provide the most support and comfort for my dodgy foot/ankle, really can’t fault them. I’ve had some heavy hits and crashes in them and so far so good, they do give me confidence the foot is protected, and they seem to last forever as well 😂

|

7/14/2021 2:25 PM

chrisgg90 wrote:

I’ve been there and done that and now have limited mobility in the ankle and foot to show for it. After trying a few different ...more

How do they size? That's #1 or 2 on my list. The other is the Tech 10. The boy wears an 8 US/41 Euro.

Hammer 663s

|

7/14/2021 4:15 PM

Ouch….I’ll keep it in mind.
Thanks

|

7/14/2021 5:35 PM

Looks like tech 3s from the pic? Is there a reason you won’t say specifically what boot it is. I’ve always run Gaerne sg12s and sg10s before that and still broken ankles and toes. I’d hate to imagine what would happened if not. Tried tech 7s and while comfortable didn’t offer the protection I was after. My 12 year old wears tech 7 but we may switch him up here soon as he’s out of youth size next boot

|

7/14/2021 6:08 PM

cwel11 wrote:

Looks like tech 3s from the pic? Is there a reason you won’t say specifically what boot it is. I’ve always run Gaerne sg12s ...more

Yeah they are tech 3s. I just didn’t see a point in calling anyone out. As others said, no 2 crashes are the same. It was a good hit and other boots may have “failed” in the same manner. The design allowed the boot to “fail” imho but it’s a low end boot. I wear tech 7s now myself after my sg10s stopped fitting. It’s tough to spend $1500 on gear for a kid that outgrows it in a year. I guess I gotta start doing that tho and damn the expense. It coulda been worse right?

Hammer 663s

|

7/14/2021 6:41 PM

After a couple scares with slight hyper extending the ankle. Making it a tad sore to walk for a couple days and making me scared to ride on the balls of my feet. Ideally people buy the best gear right from the get go, I understand with kids or having a tight budget doesnt make it really possible. I tell people its absolutely necessary to get better gear as their speed goes up at the very least. Starting with the Helmet, then boots, and so on

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

7/14/2021 6:57 PM

We run the tech 7 highest end you can get in youth boots.
Coming off a broken tibia from a slight over jump.
Some times shit happens I think.

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

7/14/2021 7:06 PM

Stretching and muscle could help sometimes. I know it helped me a few times. Glad hes ok

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

7/14/2021 7:14 PM

brocster wrote:

Never cheap out on boots and helmets. Invest in suspension before anything else on the bike with correct tires specific for ...more

Hammer 663s wrote:

Pro Circuit suspension and fresh Pirelli MX32 Mid/softs were on it for the weekend. Bell Moto 9 helmet and Leatt chest/neck ...more

Maybe it came off the wrong way, but know that I wasn’t speaking to you specifically just offering some advise on some things I learned the hard way. Glad your boy is feeling better and he’ll be back on it soon.

|

7/14/2021 7:33 PM

I’m going to say the boot did the job it was supposed to. He came away with just a sprain.

|

7/14/2021 7:51 PM

Busted my ankle in expensive boots (SG12 iirc) on a very silly crash so idk how anecdotal you can get about cheap boots not helping as much.
Sure maybe it could have been worse but who knows...

|

Tall Guy Moto Club

7/14/2021 7:53 PM

brocster wrote:

Hammer 663s wrote:

Pro Circuit suspension and fresh Pirelli MX32 Mid/softs were on it for the weekend. Bell Moto 9 helmet and Leatt chest/neck ...more

brocster wrote:

Maybe it came off the wrong way, but know that I wasn’t speaking to you specifically just offering some advise on some things ...more

Not at all. I was just showing that while I paid attention to a lot of things (his bike is always in top shape) I blew it when it came to the boots.

|

7/14/2021 7:58 PM

T-Fish wrote:

I’m going to say the boot did the job it was supposed to. He came away with just a sprain.

Maybe so but I don’t think a motocross boot should allow your ankle to bend like that. I’ve no idea how it was only a sprain. Hell, he didn’t even swell up or discolor. When I compare that boot to the other 6 pairs we have in the garage it obviously has the least protection. 3 buckles versus 4 makes a big difference.

|

7/15/2021 2:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2021 3:46 AM

T-Fish wrote:

Hammer 663s wrote:

Maybe so but I don’t think a motocross boot should allow your ankle to bend like that. I’ve no idea how it was only a sprain. ...more

Tech 10 only has 3 buckles. Reading this thread made me go out and check my boys tech 3's. I tried to bend his boot the way your boys bent and it takes a lot of force, it bent the other way quite easily though

My wife bought herself some new boots the other day, Gaerne SG J as she fits kids sizes. She was tossing up between those and the tech 7s. I wish she'd chosen the tech 7s, those gaerne's offer virtually no ankle support

|

7/15/2021 3:27 AM

You are spot on with the thought of buying something so expensive for a kid when they’ll grow out of it potentially in a year. It’s definitely a balance of cost, safety, and use. I’ve struggled with the same things and in the end when stuff does happen I’ve never said, “I wish I would’ve had some inferior stuff on” (me or definitely him). And I’m not slamming on you at all. It’s a high wire act keeping costs down vs safety. I don’t think you’re wrong for calling out what boot he had on. If anything it lets serious riders and racers know they may want to reconsider a lower price point boot. Glad he’s gonna be fine and be back riding soon!

|

7/15/2021 4:18 AM

T-Fish wrote:

Hammer 663s wrote:

Maybe so but I don’t think a motocross boot should allow your ankle to bend like that. I’ve no idea how it was only a sprain. ...more

chump6784 wrote:

Tech 10 only has 3 buckles. Reading this thread made me go out and check my boys tech 3's. I tried to bend his boot the way ...more

I've owned a couple pairs of Tech 3's and never had an issue during their lifespan. If the boot was at fault I think it may have been used past it's prime. When they are new they're stiffer than tech 10's. When they're used up they're flexible as spaghetti. Just a thought, considering you picked them up used and for free.

|

7/15/2021 4:51 AM

It’s horses for courses, we grew up riding several times a week, only ever had secondhand bikes and usually hand-me-down gear. Never had, or saw, an injury that I would say could have been avoided by super expensive gear.

However we were mainly riding local with only the occasional race as kids, so that’s all we needed. We actually thought we were lucky, because we had more than most local kids. But then you go to a regional race and there’s all these kids with brand bikes and top of the line gear. Did it make them faster, probably not, but I’m sure their dad thought it did.
Did we have just as much fun? Hell yes! Were they safer? Maybe.

You buy the best gear you can afford and try not to ride over your head. Shit will still happen regardless. But if your little Johnny is gonna be the next James Stewart, or you’re trying to make him be, then I guess you have to be prepared for the big outlay. Just don’t let not being able to afford top of the line stop you from having fun.

|

7/15/2021 5:41 AM

What size boot does he wear? I happen to have a pair of pretty much new comp Evo 2's sitting around, not being used. I think we met once on a private track that you help out a lot with, which the wife and I have been wanting to give back to. If that's the case, the boots are yours if you want em.

|

7/15/2021 5:45 AM

I'm glad that a sprain was all that happened. I hope he can recover quickly and be back on the bike in no time.

That's why I got into the business of selling boots. I wanted to be able to provide the most protective boots on the market to those who don't have sponsorships or extra money laying around without the huge price tag. All of the boots on www.usedmxboots.com are gently used or near new. The boots are also hand-picked and I would feel comfortable wearing any of the boots that are sold.

If you need some more protective boots without the huge price tag, head over to www.usedmxboots.com and see if we have what you're looking for.

|