Feld says don’t give pics away for free

jreed530
Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 8:20am
Feld is now upset that a photographer gave away and tagged companies in pictures. As they put it. They control who gets tagged in pictures from SX. You are allowed to tag riders but you cannot tag companies unless you are paid by said company. I find it hard to believe that a company would be upset with free advertising on social media.
|
2/12/2019 8:25am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 8:26am
I don’t. They collectively bargain for those rights. Kinda like the riders——here I go again. Nevermind.
FWYT
2/12/2019 8:43am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 8:44am
jreed530 wrote:
Feld is now upset that a photographer gave away and tagged companies in pictures. As they put it. They control who gets tagged in pictures from...
Feld is now upset that a photographer gave away and tagged companies in pictures. As they put it. They control who gets tagged in pictures from SX. You are allowed to tag riders but you cannot tag companies unless you are paid by said company. I find it hard to believe that a company would be upset with free advertising on social media.
" I find it hard to believe that a company would be upset with free advertising on social media."

Of course the companies don't mind! But Feld is nuts, it's not going to happen. Social media has destroyed
commercial photography to a large extent. All kinds of idiots shoot stuff and post it tagging companies
because for some jacked up reason they think it legitimizes their efforts. I mean I see stuff that is fully produced with a team just tagging companies freely. No, fool, you are giving away
your photography for free. But that's where we are at now; the toothpaste is out of the tube and it
ain't going back in anytime soon.
jreed530
2/12/2019 9:02am
jreed530 wrote:
Feld is now upset that a photographer gave away and tagged companies in pictures. As they put it. They control who gets tagged in pictures from...
FWYT wrote:
" I find it hard to believe that a company would be upset with free advertising on social media." Of course the companies don't mind! But...
" I find it hard to believe that a company would be upset with free advertising on social media."

Of course the companies don't mind! But Feld is nuts, it's not going to happen. Social media has destroyed
commercial photography to a large extent. All kinds of idiots shoot stuff and post it tagging companies
because for some jacked up reason they think it legitimizes their efforts. I mean I see stuff that is fully produced with a team just tagging companies freely. No, fool, you are giving away
your photography for free. But that's where we are at now; the toothpaste is out of the tube and it
ain't going back in anytime soon.
This person takes them as a hobby because they enjoy the sport. They were contacted by Feld this morning telling them to remove all of there photos from Minneapolis.
psg119
2/12/2019 9:11am
jreed530 wrote:
This person takes them as a hobby because they enjoy the sport. They were contacted by Feld this morning telling them to remove all of there...
This person takes them as a hobby because they enjoy the sport. They were contacted by Feld this morning telling them to remove all of there photos from Minneapolis.
Who is it?

The Shop

2/12/2019 9:12am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 3:29pm
Mathes stated feld goes after individuals posting old sx races on youtube
jreed530
2/12/2019 9:16am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 9:58am
psg119 wrote:
Who is it?
@j_reedphotos on Instagram

FWIW this is not me
Premix
2/12/2019 9:38am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 9:42am
jreed530 wrote:

FWIW this is not me
So just using common sense here: You own X business, X business offers an entertainment platform that they sell advertisement rights to company Y and Z for said amount each year guaranteeing them commercials and prime time advertisement on TV and Social Media.

If a amatuer photog (not professionally shooting for mag or company) comes and takes pics from stands or from the floor and then tags Y and Z in pics providing them free advertising, what benefit would they have to continue to purchase advertising space from X business?

FWIW, I’d pull those pictures down ASAP. There’s some legal reprocussions that Feld would be happy to whip out. Not saying they would, but they would.
jreed530
2/12/2019 9:49am
Premix wrote:
So just using common sense here: You own X business, X business offers an entertainment platform that they sell advertisement rights to company Y and Z...
So just using common sense here: You own X business, X business offers an entertainment platform that they sell advertisement rights to company Y and Z for said amount each year guaranteeing them commercials and prime time advertisement on TV and Social Media.

If a amatuer photog (not professionally shooting for mag or company) comes and takes pics from stands or from the floor and then tags Y and Z in pics providing them free advertising, what benefit would they have to continue to purchase advertising space from X business?

FWIW, I’d pull those pictures down ASAP. There’s some legal reprocussions that Feld would be happy to whip out. Not saying they would, but they would.
Pictures were posted on a hobby photo page. Companies x and y were not sought out and photos were not distributed to anyone. They were taken with an approved camera that was allowed in because it fit all guidelines.

Basically you can take a picture of Ken Roczen and tag him but you can’t tag Honda or Fox or any other product he uses.
psg119
2/12/2019 9:52am
jreed530 wrote:

FWIW this is not me
Premix wrote:
So just using common sense here: You own X business, X business offers an entertainment platform that they sell advertisement rights to company Y and Z...

How would feld have any right to tell a photographer what to do with his own photos he took? People take photos from the stands all the time. And I don't believe he is selling them from what it looks like. If they were someone else's photos he was claiming as his own that would be another thing in my opinion. People posting the races on youtube is copyright infringement and/or pirating if they are making money off that youtube video somehow... so that is understandable that they go after them. But going after some guy taking photos for his instagram seems a little overboard to me.

Re-reading the OP's post he says they just asked him to untag the companies not take down the photos if I'm correct? I think we misinterpreted what feld was trying to do. OP if you are trying to tag moto companies in your photos I'm sure you can look up if you have the right to do so. I think the difference would be if you were making money off the photos but I could be wrong.

Clean photos btw. Those are nice shots.
jl0822
2/12/2019 9:53am
Are the pictures the issue? or the tags within the post of the picture?
a fan cant take a pic of his/her favorite event/rider and post it?
i would think the tags are the issue
Leedle
2/12/2019 9:57am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 10:05am
Yeah, you're definitely not allowed to shoot in the stands with a professional camera. Security told me and many others to get lost at A1.

It's a bummer but I guess it is what it is. No company is going to use mine or his photos over someone like Cudby though. I really don't see the issue with it. Maybe one of the many pro photographers can explain why me shooting shit photos is detrimental to the careers of professional photographers.

It is Feld policy though, so there's not much any of us can really do about it. I think it's crap but oh well.

This is Feld's policy for those interested.
https://www.feldentertainment.com/faqs/
jreed530
2/12/2019 9:58am
jl0822 wrote:
Are the pictures the issue? or the tags within the post of the picture? a fan cant take a pic of his/her favorite event/rider and post...
It started with the pictures as the issue, all pictures were requested to be taken down. After a few back and forths it was determined that the photos were ok to be left up but all companies who were tagged had to be removed. IE: can’t tag fly or astars or Scott in a Bogle picture.
psg119
2/12/2019 10:03am
jl0822 wrote:
Are the pictures the issue? or the tags within the post of the picture? a fan cant take a pic of his/her favorite event/rider and post...
jreed530 wrote:
It started with the pictures as the issue, all pictures were requested to be taken down. After a few back and forths it was determined that...
It started with the pictures as the issue, all pictures were requested to be taken down. After a few back and forths it was determined that the photos were ok to be left up but all companies who were tagged had to be removed. IE: can’t tag fly or astars or Scott in a Bogle picture.
I'd take down the tags of the companies and see if you can get ahold of someone at one of the companies to see if it rings true. If it's a big deal to you to tag the companies. If you're just doing it for fun, just tag the riders and call it good.
Premix
2/12/2019 10:03am
psg119 wrote:
How would feld have any right to tell a photographer what to do with his own photos he took? People take photos from the stands all...
How would feld have any right to tell a photographer what to do with his own photos he took? People take photos from the stands all the time. And I don't believe he is selling them from what it looks like. If they were someone else's photos he was claiming as his own that would be another thing in my opinion. People posting the races on youtube is copyright infringement and/or pirating if they are making money off that youtube video somehow... so that is understandable that they go after them. But going after some guy taking photos for his instagram seems a little overboard to me.

Re-reading the OP's post he says they just asked him to untag the companies not take down the photos if I'm correct? I think we misinterpreted what feld was trying to do. OP if you are trying to tag moto companies in your photos I'm sure you can look up if you have the right to do so. I think the difference would be if you were making money off the photos but I could be wrong.

From Felds perspective, if OP goes through and tags every sponsor Kenny has, what’s stopping Fox or another sponsor from reaching out to OP and purchasing photo from him to use for advertisement or contracting him to shoot photos at a select round instead of spending the money with Feld.
jreed530
2/12/2019 10:11am
jl0822 wrote:
jreed530 wrote:
It started with the pictures as the issue, all pictures were requested to be taken down. After a few back and forths it was determined that...
psg119 wrote:
I'd take down the tags of the companies and see if you can get ahold of someone at one of the companies to see if it...
I'd take down the tags of the companies and see if you can get ahold of someone at one of the companies to see if it rings true. If it's a big deal to you to tag the companies. If you're just doing it for fun, just tag the riders and call it good.
Tags were removed and photos were left up.
2/12/2019 10:13am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 10:14am
You should be able to tag whatever company you like; I don’t think Feld has the intellectual rights over the companies that sponsor the riders. But I’m not a lawyer so who knows.
Leedle
2/12/2019 10:15am
psg119 wrote:
How would feld have any right to tell a photographer what to do with his own photos he took? People take photos from the stands all...

Premix wrote:
From Felds perspective, if OP goes through and tags every sponsor Kenny has, what’s stopping Fox or another sponsor from reaching out to OP and purchasing...
From Felds perspective, if OP goes through and tags every sponsor Kenny has, what’s stopping Fox or another sponsor from reaching out to OP and purchasing photo from him to use for advertisement or contracting him to shoot photos at a select round instead of spending the money with Feld.
Loyalty to professional photographers. They provide mind blowing photos week after week. I would hope the companies wouldn't shaft these guys just to get free media.
psg119
2/12/2019 10:19am
Premix wrote:
From Felds perspective, if OP goes through and tags every sponsor Kenny has, what’s stopping Fox or another sponsor from reaching out to OP and purchasing...
Yeah I understand what you're saying. Through my own (very quick) research, I noticed no photographers or companies EXCEPT supercrosslive tag teams and companies that I follow. I don't see how it could be legally possible for them to own the rights to that but it does seem like it's true. GuyB, are you able to tell us the exact "rules"?
psg119
2/12/2019 10:21am
jreed530 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
I'd take down the tags of the companies and see if you can get ahold of someone at one of the companies to see if it...
jreed530 wrote:
Awesome dude. If that page is yours (I know you said it's not) keep shooting. You're talented.
jreed530
2/12/2019 10:36am
psg119 wrote:
jreed530 wrote:
psg119 wrote:
Awesome dude. If that page is yours (I know you said it's not) keep shooting. You're talented.
It is actually my sister. She does it just for fun. When she gets free time. She’s a big fan of racing and all of the pro photogs. Wasn’t trying to offend or step on anyone’s toes.
2/12/2019 10:45am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 10:48am
How'd she get that big of a lens past security? Asking for a friend.
jreed530
2/12/2019 10:52am
How'd she get that big of a lens past security? Asking for a friend.
I believe the rules are no lenses bigger than 6”. Hers is smaller than that.
motogrady
2/12/2019 10:58am

In one mans opinion, you pay to get in, you take as many pics as you want, and do whatever you want with them.

I mean, why not put a gag order on the back of the ticket also. Don't talk about the event for 7 days, I'm sure that would help some media types somewhere.
slipdog
2/12/2019 11:40am
This shit is way above my pay grade, cool pictures though...

-Slipdog, non-esq
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/12/2019 12:03pm
Let's get a lawyer in here to back up or contradict my argument:

The way I would think I understand it, a photographer owns all rights to any photos he took. There may be model releases necessary to publish likenesses of professionals, but the rights belong to the photographer until he releases said rights.
Assuming the sanctioning body allowed the photographer into the building with his camera, and he was taking pictures in any area that he was allowed to photograph from, I don't see how Feld can claim any rights whatsoever to the photographer's work.
The photographer has no contract with Feld. There can be no trademark or copyright infringement as long as the photographer does not claim to be associated with "Monster Energy Supercross."

In short, "Go pound sand; I'm going to post and tag whatever the absolute F I want, since I paid to get in and you allowed me to bring a camera."
2/12/2019 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 12:21pm
Let’s walk this dog a little further.

What happens if Austin Forkner reposts the photo, with credit, and tags Fox/Kawi/PC?

Also: my avatar was taken by J Reed. She’s baaaaad.
Sierra Ranger
2/12/2019 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 12:31pm
jreed530 wrote:
So what happened? A fan took photos and tagged companies and Feld got in touch with them. Or was it a pro photog?

BTW photographers, there is a new technology that allows you to track and see who is using your photos illegally:

https://www.copytrack.com/

danman
2/12/2019 12:36pm
Here's a good question. If said photographer is also sponsored by Fly, Dunlop, etc, then could they tag those companies????

Post a reply to: Feld says don’t give pics away for free

The Latest