Does your moto gear go out of style before it wears out?

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2017 1:11pm
I must not ride enough, my gear goes out of style before it wears out normally.

My knee braces wear through the knees first and I had a set that burnt a huge hole in the leg from my exhaust but most gears brands are pretty much indestructible.

How long is too long to keep wearing a set of gear before it is vintage?
|
7/21/2017 5:45am
I bought retro AXO gear a few years ago, so I can say it got out of style 20 years before I got it.
tobz
7/21/2017 5:47am
Mine usually comes from the discount section so it's already last years style. Shit.

The Shop

RPM93
7/21/2017 5:49am
When your old and slow you should look fast and young....
but I also buy the closeout stuff it is just cheaper and frankly I don't give a hoot how I look as long as I ride!

Squirrel...
downard254
7/21/2017 5:50am
I never really cared what anyone else thought concerning style. You know the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". My stuff is old, old, old, but I like it so it's all cool. I've never been a trend follower, I like to think of myself as a trend setter.
TeamGreen
7/21/2017 5:55am
downard254 wrote:
I never really cared what anyone else thought concerning style. You know the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". My stuff is...
I never really cared what anyone else thought concerning style. You know the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". My stuff is old, old, old, but I like it so it's all cool. I've never been a trend follower, I like to think of myself as a trend setter.
Are you Belgian? (a poke of a joke from the "KR riding" thread)
Laughing
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
7/21/2017 6:03am
Too funny.

I have to buy gear for my age and speed accordingly.

I somewhat care how I look but seriously, I still have a set of closeout No Fear gear that will not wear out. I rarely use it but if it's a mudfest, out it comes.
Flip109
7/21/2017 6:05am
If you are really fast almost anything looks cool. If you are really slow nobody gives a shit anyway. So either way it's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter!LaughingCool
fast willy
7/21/2017 6:06am
My Thor gear holds up great. I never get the trendy looking gear, just a nice clean design. One set is 3 years old & still is damn near perfect. I ride atleast a 100hrs a year.
Maxjeff
Fantasy
3479th
7/21/2017 6:20am
I always try to buy all black gear. Black helmet, boots, gloves. Black never goes out of style
7/21/2017 6:26am
I just got back into riding after a 5 year break, but I'm still using Thor core gear from 06 I believe. Still in good condition.
Thumper243
7/21/2017 6:27am
I wear my 1990s stuff when I race and my newer 2009 stuff on ride days so it stays nice..

Ask Billy Fosnock about style and winning. Won Lorettas 250A with mismatched gear and No gloves against Brown, MC, etc etc. On a borrowed clapped out practice bike also that looked so horrible Mike Guerra of Yamaha gave him some new plastics for it after he smoked the field.
I remember it was Gear Racewear gave him some gear for the next motos.

I'd rather be fast in jeans and work boots than slow in brand new duds.

mikec265
7/21/2017 6:38am
Maxjeff wrote:
I always try to buy all black gear. Black helmet, boots, gloves. Black never goes out of style
The older and slower I get, the more I like plain light colored gear. That black gear used to get pretty hot in the sun.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
7/21/2017 7:00am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 7:01am
I get bored of it before it wears out. That' why I like the shift white label. Cheap and good gear and you don't feel bad about throwing it out when you get bored of it.
Jt$
7/21/2017 7:14am
Gear companies have continued to improve gear to the point that it basically never wears out. It's a bit of a catch 22 for the gear industry but the alternative is having products that fall apart so that won't work either. The consumer definitely wins in today's gear dynamic. Endless options, price points, and incredible durability throughout the range.
tempura
7/21/2017 7:25am
I wish they didn't wear out, then I could wear them until they were vintage..lol
The modern stuff doesn't last as long for me. Nice and light/flexible, but don't last long. One harmless tip over and they are usually torn.
The fastest wearing gear I've had was Seven, the knees went in a couple of rides.
endurox
7/21/2017 7:33am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 7:38am
Levis and lineman boots never go out of style. Leave the current pj inspried stuff at home.
mx317
7/21/2017 7:35am
I like cotton jerseys and wish you could still buy them.
7/21/2017 7:59am
This is funny. I've never wondered if my gear was in style or cared how I look gear wise. I wear my gear till it wears out.
ob
7/21/2017 8:07am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 8:14am
Jt$ wrote:
Gear companies have continued to improve gear to the point that it basically never wears out. It's a bit of a catch 22 for the gear...
Gear companies have continued to improve gear to the point that it basically never wears out. It's a bit of a catch 22 for the gear industry but the alternative is having products that fall apart so that won't work either. The consumer definitely wins in today's gear dynamic. Endless options, price points, and incredible durability throughout the range.
That's kind of a stretch. The ass of my pants wears first, then the knee area. But it seems with today's modern high end super light gear, I have more problems with small tears especially in the arm area of these light jerseys. And right above the knee area from contact with the underside of the bars I think. And with the prices of the high end stuff it better last me at least a summer, or a winter.
Ever seen a roadie after one crash on the bicycle? That's kind of like what happens to this new style gear. And what's funny is my cycling kit costs more than my moto kit. The lighter more breathable more stretchable etc the gear gets the more expensive it gets and the more fragile it gets. But I'm not complaining I love the light weight stretchy and better fitting modern gear. I just can't buy it as often anymore. Wow I just realized there is lots of stretch in that comment.
JustMX
7/21/2017 8:16am
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be a discussion that had moved on to proper moto manscaping and which moisturizer works best to keep from moto chaffing and which gear would be best to wear to a LGBT or save-the-baby-seal protest.

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one that wonders how good gear ever goes "out of style".

There may be hope for the future of this sport after all.
tcallahan707
7/21/2017 8:39am
Jt$ wrote:
Gear companies have continued to improve gear to the point that it basically never wears out. It's a bit of a catch 22 for the gear...
ob wrote:
That's kind of a stretch. The ass of my pants wears first, then the knee area. But it seems with today's modern high end super light...
That's kind of a stretch. The ass of my pants wears first, then the knee area. But it seems with today's modern high end super light gear, I have more problems with small tears especially in the arm area of these light jerseys. And right above the knee area from contact with the underside of the bars I think. And with the prices of the high end stuff it better last me at least a summer, or a winter.
Ever seen a roadie after one crash on the bicycle? That's kind of like what happens to this new style gear. And what's funny is my cycling kit costs more than my moto kit. The lighter more breathable more stretchable etc the gear gets the more expensive it gets and the more fragile it gets. But I'm not complaining I love the light weight stretchy and better fitting modern gear. I just can't buy it as often anymore. Wow I just realized there is lots of stretch in that comment.
Same here. My stuff holds up well but once there is a small chink in the armor due to the things you mentioned above, it's game on. The stupid clutch perch hurts like a mofo too. Who wouldn't thought I need leather on top of the knee?
KMC440
7/21/2017 8:47am
I still have some Mc era NoFear I'm waiting to get tape worm to fit back into. It'll be so rad when I'm skinny again.
Off to eat some raw meat ... C'mon larve !!!
Fashions come around in time ... LBZ will be hip in the next 3 yrs.
kkawboy14
7/21/2017 8:54am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 8:56am
I wear out a pair or 2 of riding pants per year, jerseys seem to last forever.
Holes from knee guards, pipe burns, sharpened foot peg snags and so forth.

I usually purchase last years stuff, so the company's should just go ahead and design last years stuff this year at the discounted prices!
Thumper243
7/21/2017 10:26am
mx317 wrote:
I like cotton jerseys and wish you could still buy them.
JWACK
7/21/2017 10:59am
Jt$ wrote:
In going to disagree with you JT. I've worn a lot of newer gear out in just a small amount of time. Mostly leather knees wearing out from squeezing for dear life!
Blown out like Ping after Chinese delivery.
Mini Elsinore
7/21/2017 11:39am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 11:42am
Just got a set of JT Life Line gear (3-4 "model years" old, I believe) for $85 on closeout. Am I doing it right?
Mini Elsinore
7/21/2017 11:41am
Jt$ wrote:
"Gear dynamic"?
I thought it was a "gear paradigm"! LaughingWink

Post a reply to: Does your moto gear go out of style before it wears out?

The Latest