Does the take out and interview response sell more things?

Tdc_worm
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2022 9:48am
I wonder how Barcia's incident and his resultant interview(s) will affect his sponsorships? In a world where all publicity is good publicity, the crowd at Rice-Eccles stadium did not seem more apt to purchase anything Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/Gas Gas at the conclusion of the race. I am sure Baria's contracts have "conduct unbecoming" type clauses which allow an out for renegotiation/termination even in the presence of him delivering great results. My guess is that this will sting way deeper than just the points docking and 5th place finish to Musquin.
|
spimx
5/9/2022 7:23am
Barcia will have a factory ride no matter what because he is a top 5 guy all day. I think gas gas knew what they were getting into. This is no different than any other season for him.
davistld01
5/9/2022 7:27am
spimx wrote:
Barcia will have a factory ride no matter what because he is a top 5 guy all day. I think gas gas knew what they were...
Barcia will have a factory ride no matter what because he is a top 5 guy all day. I think gas gas knew what they were getting into. This is no different than any other season for him.
Yep. Even when, in his post race interview, Justin said his Bam-Bam deal was there from "day one". He's not at all ashamed of it...it's just how he rides.
nskerb
5/9/2022 7:29am
TLD GasGas ran ads with him holding a bat when he signed, I don't think they really give a shit lol.
GD350
Fantasy
1525th
5/9/2022 7:30am
Idk man I think someone who was going to buy TLD gear or a new Gas Gas is still going to buy it after Saturday. Kinda dumb if they didn't

The Shop

Tdc_worm
5/9/2022 7:41am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 7:47am
Don't disagree with any of you that those who were mentally committed to the brand(s) will still be committed to them. But do Barcia's sponsors expect no market share growth out of him? Or do they pay him to recruit new buyers? All companies want to sell more stuff, not the same or less stuff. We have seen this several times in other sports where competitors were villainized for one reason or another, and their sponsors dropped them like bad habits or renegotiated their terms.

As far as his sponsors knew what they were getting, a bad boy image definitely sells. Has JB ever been docked twice in once season? That may be new territory....
5/9/2022 7:57am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 8:17am
Tdc_worm wrote:
Don't disagree with any of you that those who were mentally committed to the brand(s) will still be committed to them. But do Barcia's sponsors expect...
Don't disagree with any of you that those who were mentally committed to the brand(s) will still be committed to them. But do Barcia's sponsors expect no market share growth out of him? Or do they pay him to recruit new buyers? All companies want to sell more stuff, not the same or less stuff. We have seen this several times in other sports where competitors were villainized for one reason or another, and their sponsors dropped them like bad habits or renegotiated their terms.

As far as his sponsors knew what they were getting, a bad boy image definitely sells. Has JB ever been docked twice in once season? That may be new territory....
Given that both TLD and Gas Gas were new brands to fly a premiere class flag, it seems that getting a top 5 guy who can win races both indoors and out but has a few known warts was their best case scenario. Especially since it wasn't like they were hiring a known felon or something -- just the guy who rides on an edge and already has a brand around it.
devotid
Fantasy
367th
5/9/2022 8:13am
Ill never buy another TLD product ever again.... And Im one of those posers that just buys stuff to look like I still ride. (thats their main customer)

Bam Bam was really the last straw for me....The first straw was when I found out Troy Lee was an alcoholic and let his kids drink at 15 and though it was funny. That shit is wack as Fucq.

Oh yeah and I forgot about... Troy and Mitch stealing grass from a new construction was a "amazing and funny" story? Who puts people like that on pedestal's?

Turds... thats who... Turds.
Dimblewambie
5/9/2022 8:15am
devotid wrote:
Ill never buy another TLD product ever again.... And Im one of those posers that just buys stuff to look like I still ride. (thats their...
Ill never buy another TLD product ever again.... And Im one of those posers that just buys stuff to look like I still ride. (thats their main customer)

Bam Bam was really the last straw for me....The first straw was when I found out Troy Lee was an alcoholic and let his kids drink at 15 and though it was funny. That shit is wack as Fucq.

Oh yeah and I forgot about... Troy and Mitch stealing grass from a new construction was a "amazing and funny" story? Who puts people like that on pedestal's?

Interesting, neat.
5/9/2022 8:22am
I don't think anyone cares. Yeah it was a bone head move and response but his gear and bike looked really nice doing it. If the product is good, people will buy it.
Motoxdoc
5/9/2022 8:39am
devotid wrote:
Ill never buy another TLD product ever again.... And Im one of those posers that just buys stuff to look like I still ride. (thats their...

One of your vices is that you voice animosity towards people you don’t know personally on public forums…. Are you claiming you don’t have any other vices?…when you were young you never did anything stupid that you find to be funny now?…you mean he let his 15-year-old drink alcohol under his supervision?…that actually sounds better than what my parents did and the parents of everyone of my friends that I was growing up with. It would be a real bummer to be your kid…for one thing, no TLD products for him!
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
5/9/2022 8:42am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 12:54pm
I'm considering buying 100% gloves instead of my trusty TLD's. It's a pretty stressful decision with many factors to weigh, but at no point will Justin Barcia's podium speech enter my thought process.
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
5/9/2022 8:49am
Being the bad guy sells... when stuff like this happens I generally read a few more articles, check social media, and watch a few more youtubes about what happened. 2 things I will remember from SX 22: Tittie Gate, and BamBam doing BamBam things!
Gary Duck
5/9/2022 9:01am
I don't think anyone cares. Yeah it was a bone head move and response but his gear and bike looked really nice doing it. If the...
I don't think anyone cares. Yeah it was a bone head move and response but his gear and bike looked really nice doing it. If the product is good, people will buy it.
I was looking for a new 65 for my son and based on different shop fees there is a Gas Gas at one shop I frequent and a KTM at another and both are the same price OTD. The bike brand itself makes no difference since they are the same bike but I'm planning to get the KTM this week and will tell the other shop to let their area rep know they lost a sale due to their relationship with Barcia.

There is some merit to your "if the product is good" statement because if it was between Gas Gas and Yamaha I'd still go with the Gas Gas because it's the better race bike but since my choice is between two Austrian bikes Barcia swayed me away from the brand he represents.
Tdc_worm
5/9/2022 9:13am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 9:16am
I don't think anyone cares. Yeah it was a bone head move and response but his gear and bike looked really nice doing it. If the...
I think this is only 50% of the equation. If it were not, then the sponsors would be wasting money to sponsor the riders. something being good creates brand loyalists...which is part of maintaining market share...you can't influence us old guys that are stuck in our ways. who you can influence are the young guys/gals that have yet to become brand loyalists. that equates to an increase in market share and is the whole reason riders are sponsored. @GaryDuck illustrates the point above.
Monte122
5/9/2022 9:13am
I wouldn’t stop buying TLD products, but I definitely wouldn’t buy any of his personal merchandise. Just listening to the crowd, I’m sure he’s loosing potential customers for his merch.
5/9/2022 9:16am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 1:42pm
I told Crazy Eddie that I won't be buying Atari as my next in-home video computer television arcade player because of Barcia and no amount of INSANE prices can convince me otherwise. Not even a free Betamax rewinder with purchase will change my mind.

Mr. Afterbar
5/9/2022 9:25am
Gary Duck wrote:
I was looking for a new 65 for my son and based on different shop fees there is a Gas Gas at one shop I frequent...
I was looking for a new 65 for my son and based on different shop fees there is a Gas Gas at one shop I frequent and a KTM at another and both are the same price OTD. The bike brand itself makes no difference since they are the same bike but I'm planning to get the KTM this week and will tell the other shop to let their area rep know they lost a sale due to their relationship with Barcia.

There is some merit to your "if the product is good" statement because if it was between Gas Gas and Yamaha I'd still go with the Gas Gas because it's the better race bike but since my choice is between two Austrian bikes Barcia swayed me away from the brand he represents.
You’re still giving your money to the same people. The same people that support GasGas support KTM.
5/9/2022 9:27am
Gary Duck wrote:
I was looking for a new 65 for my son and based on different shop fees there is a Gas Gas at one shop I frequent...

Yeah I guess I am wrong then. I can see your point and if I was buying for my kid then I would not want him to look up to Barcia. The move was bad but the podium speech is what did it. I don't know why its so hard for these guys. He could of won fans over with a good podium speech. Just say, Man Mookie I'm sorry, I was going for it and really wanted third in the championship but that was a bad move I made it the heat of the moment. I race with my heart and that sometimes leads me to some bad decision and has followed me my career. I am truly sorry and will try my best to not make these types of moves going forward. Great season and congrats on 3rd in the Championship.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/9/2022 9:38am
Gary Duck wrote:

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing You really showed them.
5/9/2022 10:10am
There totally is a double standard in mx. Barcia gets booed for a take out but Osborne got cheered wildly for the same move that cost Savatgy a lot of money.
And the championship.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/9/2022 10:37am
I really doubt there will be a lot of dudes rushing out to buy TLD/GasGas stuff right now. Maybe Rockstars and Huskys, though!
5/9/2022 11:05am
There totally is a double standard in mx. Barcia gets booed for a take out but Osborne got cheered wildly for the same move that cost...
There totally is a double standard in mx. Barcia gets booed for a take out but Osborne got cheered wildly for the same move that cost Savatgy a lot of money.
And the championship.
Those are two totally different situations. If it was the last lap for a championship and Barcia ran down Mookie and made that pass no one would have issue. But it was lap 5 after being passed clean and Barcia was notably slower. Not even close to the same. And Osborne is a one off. Barcia does this shit 5 plus times a year.
kb228
5/9/2022 11:11am
Look at the exposure this caused. Of course theyre selling more.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
5/9/2022 11:17am
devotid wrote:

During rant....

After rant...

DA498
5/9/2022 11:44am
Last week i was drooling over the gasgas factory edition, still am.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/9/2022 1:14pm
There totally is a double standard in mx. Barcia gets booed for a take out but Osborne got cheered wildly for the same move that cost...
And the championship.
Savatgy cost HIMSELF the money and championship by deciding not to race the final and just ride around the track and Osbourne ran him down and moved him out of the way on the last lap, Craig didnt do much better falling back to 8th and not racing for the win but in this case it worked out.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/9/2022 1:34pm
And the championship.
Those are two totally different situations. If it was the last lap for a championship and Barcia ran down Mookie and made that pass no one...
Those are two totally different situations. If it was the last lap for a championship and Barcia ran down Mookie and made that pass no one would have issue. But it was lap 5 after being passed clean and Barcia was notably slower. Not even close to the same. And Osborne is a one off. Barcia does this shit 5 plus times a year.
I'll have to re-watch the Osborne/Savatgy takeout, but it I remember correctly, that was Osborne's rear wheel to Savatgy's front. There's a chance of Joey getting out of that one clean, checking up, or something.
Barcia torpedoed Stewart: front wheel to the center of the engine cases and then elbow to the head. It's a wonder he didn't break Malcolm's leg (or worse).
Magoofan
5/9/2022 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2022 2:01pm
And the championship.
Those are two totally different situations. If it was the last lap for a championship and Barcia ran down Mookie and made that pass no one...
Falcon wrote:
I'll have to re-watch the Osborne/Savatgy takeout, but it I remember correctly, that was Osborne's rear wheel to Savatgy's front. There's a chance of Joey getting...
I'll have to re-watch the Osborne/Savatgy takeout, but it I remember correctly, that was Osborne's rear wheel to Savatgy's front. There's a chance of Joey getting out of that one clean, checking up, or something.
Barcia torpedoed Stewart: front wheel to the center of the engine cases and then elbow to the head. It's a wonder he didn't break Malcolm's leg (or worse).
Nope.... front wheel impact.

One of the greatest passes in supercross history....bar none. Awesome.

On the flip side....it could have broke Savatgys leg....clearer in 2nd vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZLZ9zcMBvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5cYM6SsvbA
5/9/2022 2:10pm
Falcon wrote:
I'll have to re-watch the Osborne/Savatgy takeout, but it I remember correctly, that was Osborne's rear wheel to Savatgy's front. There's a chance of Joey getting...
Magoofan wrote:
Nope.... front wheel impact. One of the greatest passes in supercross history....bar none. Awesome. On the flip side....it could have broke Savatgys leg....clearer in 2nd vid...

Not saying it was a clean pass or less dirty. Im saying the circumstances leading up to the crash make it ok.
Magoofan
5/9/2022 2:16pm
Falcon wrote:
Magoofan wrote:
Nope.... front wheel impact. One of the greatest passes in supercross history....bar none. Awesome. On the flip side....it could have broke Savatgys leg....clearer in 2nd vid...

Not saying it was a clean pass or less dirty. Im saying the circumstances leading up to the crash make it ok.
How is it different? Barcia is going for 3rd in points. Osborne was going for 1st in points.

No different in my book.

Zacho was a hero for that move (...and I agree)

Barcia is hated for it. (...I disagree)

Post a reply to: Does the take out and interview response sell more things?

The Latest