Does no one like Pourcel?

Steveo
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 12:33pm
His podium interviews piss me off sometimes the way he ignores the interviewer's questions and talks the same stuff everytime, but I figure that's down to his English. Other than that he seems like a decent guy, and no one can deny that he is incredible rider... So why then the cold response in the stadium last night when he won the race and was crowned champion? Josh Demuth got a bigger cheer when he was introduced as AX champion....
|
RACEGUY
4/11/2010 10:42am
Biggotry?

I think he's done an incredible job on his personality and presentation this season.

"The same stuff everytime"??

You mean like "my Dunlop tires were really hookin' up and I couldn't have done it without the lord Jesus Christ..."

He barely speaks our language and still makes Millsaps look like he's never seen a microphone or camera before.

Doin' OK.
need love
4/11/2010 10:46am
I think he's done an outstanding job. To travel to another country and try to fit in with their standards isn't alway's easy, besides everything aside the kid is one hell of a rider and i can't wait to see how much he stirs the pot in the 450s. His riding style suits a big bike.
SH_105
4/11/2010 10:47am
This is where I see the US is behind in the whole reception of other great riders... My time over in Europe was amazing, with how the English and Eurpeans accepted me and cheered for me. In the US everyone hates to see another rider over here winning or even doing well. In many ways its sad that we are that stubborn and snobbish not to relish the fact that we have some of the best racing with foreigners here and doing well.

Outsider
4/11/2010 10:50am
Steveo wrote:
His podium interviews piss me off sometimes the way he ignores the interviewer's questions and talks the same stuff everytime, but I figure that's down to...
His podium interviews piss me off sometimes the way he ignores the interviewer's questions and talks the same stuff everytime, but I figure that's down to his English. Other than that he seems like a decent guy, and no one can deny that he is incredible rider... So why then the cold response in the stadium last night when he won the race and was crowned champion? Josh Demuth got a bigger cheer when he was introduced as AX champion....
Because our sport is "growing'... and all the "new fans" don't know shit about anything other than James Stewart, Ricky Carmichael(maybe), and that Travis Pastrami guy...

That's why supercross rulez!!!!! /sarcasm

The Shop

Steveo
4/11/2010 10:53am
All I meant with the interviews thing was that, even when he has an eventful race, he doesn't talk about what happened and just says 'track was really good, my monster energy pro circuit worked really good so i'm really happy'. I'm not having a go at the guy, just trying to think of reasons that people wouldn't like him, and that's the only one I can think of? Apart from the obvious difference in nationality in which case its a sad situation...

Although I thought he could have at least mentioned it was a shame Stroupe went down and they couldn't have fought it out for the title proper... But again i'll just presume he wanted to keep to his routine podium speech due to English not being his first language!
bd
4/11/2010 11:01am
I'm a fan of CP. I root for him.
Torco1
4/11/2010 11:02am
I like Pourcel a lot. He is awesome on a bike and is pretty funny in his own way. People dont like him because he came from another country and kicked everybodys butt.
RACEGUY
4/11/2010 11:12am
Fire a question at any of the North American guys and the expectation is that a question asked in english will need no translation and be easily answered in english. Not much of a challenge.

If your mothertongue is French, Flemmish, Italian, German, or something really obscure from the former "Eastern Bloc", you have to translate the language and the cultural idiosyncracies into another language altogether just to answer the question.

Wonder how Albertson and Osborne are doing with that.
JACK_Schit
4/11/2010 11:19am
Translating from your native French to English has to be a difficult challenge. I thinks he does a better job than Dungey (tripping over his tung) sometimes.

Plus... it can be extremely challenging be interviewed from the floor of major league sports stadium - when your being interviewed - you respond to the questions and while your talking in the mic , you hearing your own slightly delayed response from GIANT stadium speakers - so just imagine this......... your trying to spit out a brilliant answer for the M.C. and hearing your self from the giant stadium speakers all at the same time - its a weird dynamic.

It's not uncommon for the US SX Fans to act COLD to foreign riders. Do you guys remember the SX Fans booing Ricky Carmichael after his Kawi to Honda team change?
kongols
4/11/2010 11:19am
Steveo wrote:
All I meant with the interviews thing was that, even when he has an eventful race, he doesn't talk about what happened and just says 'track...
All I meant with the interviews thing was that, even when he has an eventful race, he doesn't talk about what happened and just says 'track was really good, my monster energy pro circuit worked really good so i'm really happy'. I'm not having a go at the guy, just trying to think of reasons that people wouldn't like him, and that's the only one I can think of? Apart from the obvious difference in nationality in which case its a sad situation...

Although I thought he could have at least mentioned it was a shame Stroupe went down and they couldn't have fought it out for the title proper... But again i'll just presume he wanted to keep to his routine podium speech due to English not being his first language!
Do you remember all that thing about him saying Dungey`s a pussy, where he ment one thing and all american took it as an insult, so I`m not surprised he sticks to the script.
jbomx363
4/11/2010 2:25pm
SH_105 wrote:
This is where I see the US is behind in the whole reception of other great riders... My time over in Europe was amazing, with how...
This is where I see the US is behind in the whole reception of other great riders... My time over in Europe was amazing, with how the English and Eurpeans accepted me and cheered for me. In the US everyone hates to see another rider over here winning or even doing well. In many ways its sad that we are that stubborn and snobbish not to relish the fact that we have some of the best racing with foreigners here and doing well.

Reed doesn't seem to be having any reception problems, nor does Byrner, Metcalf, and Langstons a fan favorite. Seems DV had a good following as did Tortelli and Roncada.

Masonry
4/11/2010 2:27pm
SH_105 wrote:
This is where I see the US is behind in the whole reception of other great riders... My time over in Europe was amazing, with how...

jbomx363 wrote:
Reed doesn't seem to be having any reception problems, nor does Byrner, Metcalf, and Langstons a fan favorite. Seems DV had a good following as did...
Reed doesn't seem to be having any reception problems, nor does Byrner, Metcalf, and Langstons a fan favorite. Seems DV had a good following as did Tortelli and Roncada.

Reed had plenty of reception problems. Reed's native language was also English. Reed and Pourcel came here and started dominating and many people don't like a foreign rider beating Americans.
toroP
4/11/2010 2:29pm
I'm a Pourcel fan. If he can keep building his program and stay healthy, I think he could become one of the greats.
Snapper
4/11/2010 2:30pm
In the 'How was your race' videos on Transworld, Pourcel is a lot more relaxed. I guess he sticks to a similar script on the podium for his sponsors.
jmar
4/11/2010 2:58pm
I am a big fan of CP. I have been pulling for him all season.
Motodork
4/11/2010 3:06pm
of course no one like CP, he's a frenchy
PD441
4/11/2010 3:09pm
I like him. For what he's overcome and his talent on a bike, how could you not?
Masonry
4/11/2010 3:10pm
Motodork wrote:
of course no one like CP, he's a frenchy
I prefer a "frenchy" to an idiot.
shaner708
4/11/2010 3:12pm
My favorite rider now that Hepler is gone and J-Law refuses to finish races
DrSweden
4/11/2010 3:36pm
We have discussed this many times. Him being French is prolly a factor, but mostly his persona don't appeal mainstream mentality in the US. So its kind of either you love or hate him (I like him a lot).

In the end people lick his balls everywhere he goes because him being such an amazing talent, so I'm sure he will manage with less applauds?

Just saying of course...
DrSweden
4/11/2010 3:37pm
SH_105 wrote:

You are humble. I like that.
burnside
4/11/2010 3:45pm
He's only going to get on more peoples nerves when he de-thrones Bubba next year.
Tongue
nc97
4/11/2010 4:13pm
shaner708 wrote:
My favorite rider now that Hepler is gone and J-Law refuses to finish races
He is 1/4 the way there .. Laughing
SteveS
4/11/2010 4:46pm
Does nobody get it? Everybody grew up watching Disney's Motocrossed a million times. They're programmed not to like the French guy.

As to the English language and GP riders, most of them seem to do really well with English in the interviews I see on the internet.
nobhead
4/11/2010 4:50pm
Pourcel is a cool dude! Steveo is not.
Highsider
4/11/2010 5:01pm
Demuth has lived in Texas for many years and we always cheer for the 'locals'...Windham got pretty much the same response and he lives two states to the right.
sxf138
4/11/2010 5:04pm
i like when he says monster energy procircut kawasaki in frenchey accent. oh ya and traxxas too
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
4/11/2010 5:16pm
Pourcel is my homie..
KazFu
4/11/2010 5:21pm
He's a better podium speaker than Stroupe-It. Lol
mt798
4/11/2010 5:24pm
We like CP in this household. I love to watch him ride and my girlfriend thinks he's hot and likes his accent. Not to mention he's a total animal to come back from the injury he sustained and be doing what he's doing. Can't wait to see him in the outdoors here in Texas...

Post a reply to: Does no one like Pourcel?

The Latest