Does anyone wear their Atlas Air brace fully under their chest protector like this?

Mr_Orange
Edited Date/Time 6/22/2019 7:40am
Does anyone here use the Atlas Air brace under a hard chest protector like the first kid in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsgDGxzt3W8

The video obviously shows that it works, but the reason i'm asking is that when doing some research on the Atlas brace, there's a lot of talk about it not being compatible with many chest protectors. I already bought an Alpinestars A-10 chest protector so i didn't want to buy the Atlas brand chest protector either.

Then i saw that video and realized there's not much talk about just fully tucking it under a chest protector.
Most pictures show the atlas brace used without a chest protector or with the atlas brand one unlike in the video.

Is there any safety reason why people wouldn't more commonly use it fully under a chest protector? Is it uncomfortable?
It actually seems like a good way to secure the brace down too, maybe substituting the use of those straps.

I actually mountain bike and don't ride moto so i really don't know if this is a common thing for moto riders to do.
|
Mr_Orange
6/21/2019 11:16am
after 2 youtube videos i think i sort of get what astroturfing means...

Settle down detectives, Im not some marketing guy.

Neck braces are a relatively new thing so im even now a bit skeptical of them. I do like that there's something out there that prevents your neck from breaking though. Sorry if have i some questions before potentially dropping $300 on product. Goddam.

When you do some quick googling and you see people post things like "why i stopped wearing them" , or how the neck brace hit them in the throat, or it won't stay put, or it restricts movement, you'd see i'm not the only one with concerns.

Now that they've been out for a while, I'm seriously considering neck braces again. The alpinestar neck brace seems like the obvious choice since i've got the A-10 chest protector. After reading some reviews though, i still like the idea that the Atlas is supposed to be the least movement restrictive. The movement restriction is one of the reasons that i'm hesitant to use a neck brace at all.

I gave up on the idea of the atlas though since I want to keep using my a-10 chest plate. It fits well, and i like that its well ventilated. That was until i saw this video of the kid wearing it fully under the chest plate.

In the bike parks, you do see people with neck braces here and there but i don't remember ever seeing it worn the way it is in that video. I was hoping that maybe neck braces and chest protectors are more commonly used in moto so you'd know if this was typical or not.
Irwinmoto
Fantasy
2233rd
6/21/2019 11:33am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2019 11:34am
I have an Atlas and wore it under my chest protector like the kid in the video when I wore it with the FOX air frame chest prtoector that I wore externally. As you mentioned I wore it without straps and the chest protector kept it in place really well and it was a comfortable pairing. Now I have an Alpinestars A-4 chest protector and wear it under my jersey and haven't found a comfortable way to wear the Atlas so I dont wear it anymore. Message me I will sell you my like new Atlas.

The Shop

6/21/2019 11:49am
Mr Orange realizing his A-10 is neck brace compatible with removable front and rear plates:

Brent_KS
6/21/2019 11:34pm
Irwinmoto wrote:
I have an Atlas and wore it under my chest protector like the kid in the video when I wore it with the FOX air frame...
I have an Atlas and wore it under my chest protector like the kid in the video when I wore it with the FOX air frame chest prtoector that I wore externally. As you mentioned I wore it without straps and the chest protector kept it in place really well and it was a comfortable pairing. Now I have an Alpinestars A-4 chest protector and wear it under my jersey and haven't found a comfortable way to wear the Atlas so I dont wear it anymore. Message me I will sell you my like new Atlas.
Might be interested in this if he doesn’t want it. What color is it?
Irwinmoto
Fantasy
2233rd
6/22/2019 7:40am
Irwinmoto wrote:
I have an Atlas and wore it under my chest protector like the kid in the video when I wore it with the FOX air frame...
Brent_KS wrote:
Might be interested in this if he doesn’t want it. What color is it?
It is black and grey. I will try to grab some pictures later, and size etc.

Mr_Orange
6/22/2019 8:59am
Mr Orange realizing his A-10 is neck brace compatible with removable front and rear plates: [img]https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/agtmbomg.gif[/img]
Mr Orange realizing his A-10 is neck brace compatible with removable front and rear plates:

I think you might be referring to the earlier a-10 model. I have the version that's dark grey with the lime green inner grate structure. The version that look very ventilated.

I just finished testing the atlas with my a-10 and it does feel pretty comfortable with it fully tucked under. You have to adjust the a-10 shoulder straps a bit to find that sweet spot where you can squeeze the neck brace through.

My a-10 version does have a removable back plate slot (not front) for neck braces but it's actually too narrow for those atlas rear struts.

I for sure need to use those atlas straps though if i go with the atlas. The a-10 protector isn't actually very tight even with all the straps full tightened. I can see it shoving the atlas brace around.

Im still waiting to try the leatt and bns brace before i make a decision. My neck is sort of long so i want to compare the difference in range of motion between these braces.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/22/2019 9:12am
Both our son and I wear our Atlas braces that way. I have a Fox Airframe and he has a Thor Quadrant chest protector. Done it his way for a few years now.

Post a reply to: Does anyone wear their Atlas Air brace fully under their chest protector like this?

The Latest