Does anyone train on mountain bikes?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2018 1:31 PM

Motocross legend Johnny O'Mara says that you should. Check out this interview and impromptu ride along video.

Johnny O'Mara And The Benefits Of MTB training for MX

|

9/28/2018 2:55 PM

Yes, I train on mountain bikes.

Sadly, I'm trying to pay down some debt, so that is the only thing I'm doing on two wheels for the time being. My paid off 16 YZ250 just sits.

I met Johnny at The Ranch back in 2013. He was very talkative and I was quite surprised later that day when I saw him cheering for me on the side of the track as I was hacking around at the back of the pack. What a guy!

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

9/28/2018 4:03 PM

"although aldon is famous ...and I like him...but the smartest guy in the business right know is john tomac."

this guy knows. I'd pay to ride with him...heck...I'd pay to just listen to his and tomacs stories.
legend.

|

9/28/2018 5:09 PM

I do but here in Ohio it’s flat lol. Still try to get out and do 10-15 miles a few times a week when I’ve got time Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

9/28/2018 5:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2018 5:38 PM

Mountain bikes are awesome. I love Moto but can’t get any of my mx buddies to try and switch it up and ride trails for fun to mix it up. So I mtb instead. Good workout and can pretend I’m on my yz and picking lines. Sure is cheaper and easier to go 5 miles down the road to the mtb trails, no gas or air filters to deal with, ride for an hour or two and go home.

Plus the new bikes these days are pretty unreal. Suspension, geometry and components are better than some dirtbikes I had when I was younger

|

9/29/2018 3:58 AM

Just remember the right side handlebar lever on your dirt scooter has an entirely different function than the one on your MTB. The reminder can be painful.

|

9/29/2018 6:34 AM

Nighttrain wrote:

Just remember the right side handlebar lever on your dirt scooter has an entirely different function than the one on your MTB. ...more

You should ride an electric MTB!

|

9/29/2018 6:38 AM

I ride mine and think it's good training. Sadly I don't get to ride as much as I'd like to in the last few years going from once a week to maybe once every month or so.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

9/29/2018 7:19 AM

I chase my kids around our long peewee track. I think it's better than riding on the road. Road biking is too boring, and I won't put myself out there anymore with everyone on cell phones.

|

9/29/2018 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 9:46 AM

We've got killer trails around here. I went out with my brother on my Scott hardtail. We dropped into this chute that went down the mountain in the dark woods- really fun. We found a nice little trail that hopefully will be my standard training ride- it's got some good climbing.
He was visiting, so I rented him this. Holy Crap this thing is sweet. Specialized FSR

Photo

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/29/2018 10:03 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

We've got killer trails around here. I went out with my brother on my Scott hardtail. We dropped into this chute that went ...more

I just got myself one. Unreal bike

|

9/29/2018 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 11:47 AM

Why on earth would anyone run a mountain(or any offroad) bike with a seat so damn high........its like putting a booster seat on your mx bike......

Edit: Like the picture above me.

|

9/29/2018 12:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 12:41 PM

Doddy wrote:

Why on earth would anyone run a mountain(or any offroad) bike with a seat so damn high........its like putting a booster seat ...more

1. that bike has a dropper post
2. because some people love their knees
3. a lot of people actually pedal up hill or for a lot of km/miles aka need to be powerful and efficient

just to make it clear, oshow is talking about cross country, not about shredding down trails and getting a lift up. that's fun too but he's talking about working hard. ?

|

9/29/2018 12:52 PM

Doddy wrote:

Why on earth would anyone run a mountain(or any offroad) bike with a seat so damn high........its like putting a booster seat ...more

51xc wrote:

1. that bike has a dropper post
2. because some people love their knees
3. a lot of people actually pedal up hill or for a lot ...more

If someone is worried about the knees, probably the wrong thing to do in the first place?

My question was more towards downhill/trails I guess. I understand cross country or cruising around. Just something I noticed. What do I know though, I ride a 22".

|

9/29/2018 2:18 PM

eric513anderson wrote:

I do but here in Ohio it’s flat lol. Still try to get out and do 10-15 miles a few times a week when I’ve got time Photo
Photo
Photo

You’re definitely hitting the wrong places in Ohio! My local spot has a 40mph + downhill.

|

9/29/2018 2:32 PM

Nighttrain wrote:

Just remember the right side handlebar lever on your dirt scooter has an entirely different function than the one on your MTB. ...more

I swapped my mountain and street bicycle's brakes from side to side so the right side is always the front brake. Problem solved!

|

Nick
-2015 Grom grocery getter
-2011 Road King Classic
-2010 WR250X supermoto

9/29/2018 2:58 PM

I do my wooden berm training on a mountain bike

Photo

|

9/29/2018 3:19 PM

eric513anderson wrote:

Photo
Photo

yamahaha131 wrote:

You’re definitely hitting the wrong places in Ohio! My local spot has a 40mph + downhill.

Damn it’s pretty much all flat here. I need to venture out and hit some fun trails

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

9/29/2018 3:28 PM

Yes I do. Four or five times a week, about to go hit the trails right now. Photo
Photo

|

9/29/2018 5:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 5:31 PM

I'm a long time MXer that took up MTB about a year ago. It has definitely helped my conditioning for MX. As a regional manager for Alta, I take my Alta demos and my MTB whenever I hit the rode. While I am at "work" I have been able to hit up trails in Northwest Arkansas, New Mexico, Missouri and all over Texas. There is not always a place to ride a dirt bike, but there is always MTB trails. They are everywhere! I follow Johnny O and Jeff Ward on Strava and they are animals! Have even seen Johnny O listed in front of Jeremy Martin on some sections.

Photo

|

9/29/2018 8:05 PM

Just bought this one. Norco Range Carbon C1 29er
Photo
Also race this YESS pro XXL 20'
Photo

|

9/29/2018 8:24 PM

Serious question, what's up with dudes running their seat higher than their bars?

|

9/29/2018 8:40 PM

slipdog wrote:

Serious question, what's up with dudes running their seat higher than their bars?

Depends on how long your legs are. When sitting on the seat you should have a slight bend in your knee when the pedal is at the bottom of the crank revolution.

That's how you get the most power to the wheels.

|

9/29/2018 8:57 PM

Ha!

|

9/29/2018 9:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 9:09 PM

slipdog wrote:

Depends on the terrain you are riding. Most newer bikes have a "dropper seat post". Easy way to explain one is you have a switch on your bars that you can instantly raise or lower your seat depending if you are decending ( put it in the low position for going down hill) and climbing( high position) for getting the power down going up hill. There is a spring inside the seat post basically. Low seat is generally for jumping and going down a steep decent, but torture for climbing while seated. Most bikes with higher seats will be cross country bikes. All mtn bikes will have the adjustable 'dropper" seat, and dirt jump ir downhill bikes usually have low or slammed seats.

|

9/30/2018 12:00 AM

Seat higher than the bars on a mtb is set up for cross country. My mtb is like that. Pretty efficient.

|

9/30/2018 1:52 AM

slipdog wrote:

three9zero wrote:

Depends on the terrain you are riding. Most newer bikes have a "dropper seat post". Easy way to explain one is you have a ...more

I understand that and my bike has been set up that way for years. One thing I don't understand is why spandex shorts on men bicycling? It's like yoga pants on 300 lb big butt women. Why? I just don't get it.

|

9/30/2018 2:40 AM

Love hitting the trails on my Cannondale Jekyll,full suspension,160mm, with a climbing mode on the shock.
Even better, the dog gets exercise too,very hilly here in the NW of the UK and this for me is the perfect bike for training

Photo

Photo
Photo

|

9/30/2018 4:45 AM

mikec265 wrote:

I understand that and my bike has been set up that way for years. One thing I don't understand is why spandex shorts on men ...more

what is there not to get? main reason for the development was aerodynamics (higher benefits than any aerodynamic changed on your bike). and now also it's comfort and with comfort you have a higher capacity.

|

9/30/2018 5:12 AM

slipdog wrote:

three9zero wrote:

Depends on the terrain you are riding. Most newer bikes have a "dropper seat post". Easy way to explain one is you have a ...more

mikec265 wrote:

I understand that and my bike has been set up that way for years. One thing I don't understand is why spandex shorts on men ...more

You would have to ask cross country guys/girls why they rock spandex as I have no clue. I'm a DH/Enduro rider and never see anybody rocking spandex here in B.C. I think the trend is a cross country thing that is also popular with cross country skiing. I wear shorts that are basically moto pats cut at the knee.

|