Does any one cut their bars down?

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:04pm
Narrower that is. Pro-Tapers out of the box always seemed a tad bit wide, but I never really thought about cutting a half inch off each side. Then I started looking around, and it looks like some people might. I know the woods guys hack them way down for the trees, but do any moto guys trim them at all?

If you have no input, thats cool. here is a picture of Van Damme for you.

|
Hando
12/24/2011 1:17pm
That pic is really, really GAY.

I did it once and regret it.

Wider bars = more leverage, easier turning and more control IMO.

It makes sense for woods/fmx guys as the longer bars get in the way of their riding.
moto589
12/24/2011 1:34pm
That pic made me forget what the question was.
Doubleo
12/24/2011 2:17pm
Ive heard of people cutting the crossbar then taping it on the Renthal Twinwalls to get more flex out of the bar.

The Shop

Rupert X
12/24/2011 2:21pm
We used to, now we generally get the WINDHAM BEND Renthals and they, like the KDUB - are both smooth and perfect.
pitbike502
12/24/2011 4:15pm
Rupert X wrote:
We used to, now we generally get the WINDHAM BEND Renthals and they, like the KDUB - are both smooth and perfect.
x2, didn't take me long to learn! After that the YZ bend is good. KTM, RC, MC low - no good. Especially if you're 6' and taller
FIREfish148
12/24/2011 4:21pm
I wouldn't advise it if you are a little guy. Its surprising how much leverage you loose when you cut your bars down. I used to get speed wobble all the time on my 125 back in the day and as soon as I started using the wider stock bars I litterally never got it again. I used to chop 1 inch off both sides because I figured it would make it feel more like my bmx. Also slimmed it down for first turns.
burnside
12/24/2011 6:30pm
I wouldn't advise it if you are a little guy. Its surprising how much leverage you loose when you cut your bars down. I used to...
I wouldn't advise it if you are a little guy. Its surprising how much leverage you loose when you cut your bars down. I used to get speed wobble all the time on my 125 back in the day and as soon as I started using the wider stock bars I litterally never got it again. I used to chop 1 inch off both sides because I figured it would make it feel more like my bmx. Also slimmed it down for first turns.
Ironic that seems now huge bars are the rage in BMX.
12/24/2011 6:44pm
What ever happened to just getting in better shape and riding harder? People around here are crazy worse than a fat girl on an all ice cream diet! Give up on gimmicks, sweet graphics, changing rim colors, all other misc bullshit, and work on technique and conditioning.
bullpen58
12/24/2011 6:47pm
What ever happened to just getting in better shape and riding harder? People around here are crazy worse than a fat girl on an all ice...
What ever happened to just getting in better shape and riding harder? People around here are crazy worse than a fat girl on an all ice cream diet! Give up on gimmicks, sweet graphics, changing rim colors, all other misc bullshit, and work on technique and conditioning.
No offense, but your bikes must look like doodoo.

First rule in motocross: LOOK good, FEEL good, RIDE good.
bullpen58
12/24/2011 6:49pm
Here is another pic of a dude just to keep us on topic here.

12/24/2011 6:50pm
bullpen58 wrote:
No offense, but your bikes must look like doodoo.

First rule in motocross: LOOK good, FEEL good, RIDE good.
Been racing my whole life never gave a shit what a bike looked like. That shit is fine for weekend warriors.

The only rule I ever knew was go fast finish in the money.
NetMXer
12/24/2011 6:57pm
I always cut my bars. They're made wide on purpose so they can be cut down to the length that suites the rider. They aren't intended to be "one size fits all".
12/24/2011 7:00pm
bullpen58 wrote:
Everyone marches to their own drummer.
When you need every penny to get to the next race you start liking redneck chrome (duct tape) seat covers and zip tied fenders. The purse money is barely enough to keep going on and free parts are hard to come by. Contingency money and dealer dollars work good for that.

I hate working on bikes and polishing and crap. I ride the hell out of them and get a new one.
12/24/2011 7:06pm
What ever happened to just getting in better shape and riding harder? People around here are crazy worse than a fat girl on an all ice...
I agree with you here... people dump so much money into a pipe or triple clamps or annodized billet fasteners and crap that won't make them faster. When my father was paying for my racing, he would always tell me that we could only afford the things which would make the bike handle better and give it more power when/where I needed it. Anything else... graphics, fancynesses, etc... I had to pay for out of my money I got from selling my trophies back.
12/24/2011 7:10pm
I agree with you here... people dump so much money into a pipe or triple clamps or annodized billet fasteners and crap that won't make them...
I agree with you here... people dump so much money into a pipe or triple clamps or annodized billet fasteners and crap that won't make them faster. When my father was paying for my racing, he would always tell me that we could only afford the things which would make the bike handle better and give it more power when/where I needed it. Anything else... graphics, fancynesses, etc... I had to pay for out of my money I got from selling my trophies back.
Some people and their bikes look best in the pits not on the track. It's cool they support our industry I guess.

Your obviously a real racer. You get it.
12/24/2011 7:18pm
oh, this is perfect. You want to take a half inch off your bars, and now you are gimmicky, weak, fat, a girl, and like colored rims.

great work, Freud. really.

Alessi cuts the hell out of his bars. look how narrow they are on his Suzuki. Go tell him that. His brother is on here, Jeff. Im sure he would be happy to relay the message. Tell him.

I bench 325 with no spot or lift-off and weigh 185, so fitness is not an issue.
loftyair
12/24/2011 7:23pm
I like to cut one side down, then off-center them in the bar clamps to make the shock transmit in the right frequency as to tickle my fancy.
12/24/2011 7:27pm
oh, this is perfect. You want to take a half inch off your bars, and now you are gimmicky, weak, fat, a girl, and like colored...
oh, this is perfect. You want to take a half inch off your bars, and now you are gimmicky, weak, fat, a girl, and like colored rims.

Alessi cuts the hell out of his bars. look how narrow they are on his Suzuki. Go tell him that. His brother is on here, Jeff. Im sure he would be happy to relay the message. Tell him.

How many guys on here do you think ride their bike to even 1/4 of it's stock potential?

Lots of pros do weird crap to their bikes. 95% of people should focus on things that make them faster I don't see bar width being an issue for the majority. I have raised, lowered, rotated them forward, went wide, went narrow, all I learned is I should have been riding instead of screwing around in the garage. Sorry to share what I learned.

I never said anyone was fat I said people are as crazy as a fat girl on an all ice cream diet. They are caught up in gimmicks and crap looking for an edge. Most riders would benefit more from a riding school or training.

Just because you can bench doesn't mean you are in shape. Right now I am lifting more than ever in my life but my cardio is not good. If you talk to the Alessi's (and I have) they place a higher importance on cardio than weights.
g taylor
12/24/2011 7:33pm
oh, this is perfect. You want to take a half inch off your bars, and now you are gimmicky, weak, fat, a girl, and like colored...

And I bet you have a big mirror that you spend a lot of time in front of. LMAO
12/24/2011 7:39pm
g taylor wrote:
And I bet you have a big mirror that you spend a lot of time in front of. LMAO
No, just a big gym, 5-6pm monday-fridays, baby. see ya there.
WhKnuckle
12/24/2011 7:44pm
I remember Bob Hannah telling his mechanic to cut 1/2" off his bars one time because he felt better in the corners with them cut down a little and the mechanic told him he wouldn't do it. The next day Hannah had a new mechanic. And I doubt very many people thought he was a wimp.

I've heard it helps when the front end feels like it's always overcorrecting in turns - knifing in one turn and pushing in the next.

I don't cut my bars, but it looks like some pros do. Windham, for example, looks like his bars are narrower than some of the other guys, and offroad guys do it all the time if they race in the woods. And if I was a pro, I'd be more worried about how narrow I could stand to run my bars, not how wide I could stand them - you look at how close those guys race in the first turn, and 1/2" makes a difference. I'd start with narrow bars and put on wider ones until I got comfortable instead of starting with wide ones and cutting them.
12/24/2011 7:49pm
Im going to find that photo of Alessi from the MEC. his bars are noticably cut. At least they look like it. I could be wrong. Windhams do look narrow too, but I thought the Renthals look narrower than the Answers to begin with.
12/24/2011 7:57pm
Im going to find that photo of Alessi from the MEC. his bars are noticably cut. At least they look like it. I could be wrong...
Im going to find that photo of Alessi from the MEC. his bars are noticably cut. At least they look like it. I could be wrong. Windhams do look narrow too, but I thought the Renthals look narrower than the Answers to begin with.
If you need photo's of Alessi's bike from MEC I took several with my iPhone I also saw Brown Dog Wilson Taking several while we were at the Rockwell Rig. I still don't see how what mike does to his bike is relevant. Mike is a unique rider with unique preferences. Most people wouldn't know the difference.
12/24/2011 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2011 8:03pm
so, what you are saying is, unless you are an AMA pro, you should not lay a finger on your bike. tire selection, bar selection, race sag, suspension valving, gearing ect make no difference whatsoever, unless you are a pro, and if you mess with any of that you are a gimmicky fat girl eating icecream, who likes black rims and graphics. that is exactly what you are saying

oh, and benching 325 and weighing 185 is not "good shape".
kawboy388
12/24/2011 8:07pm
Im going to find that photo of Alessi from the MEC. his bars are noticably cut. At least they look like it. I could be wrong...
Measure your bars,then do a push up with your little fingers at the edge of that length,then go in ward with your hands
till the push up feels the most comfortable,cut them to that length.

Yes,you are right,Pro Tapers are wider than most Renthal's.
12/24/2011 8:13pm
so, what you are saying is, unless you are an AMA pro, you should not lay a finger on your bike. tire selection, bar selection, race...
so, what you are saying is, unless you are an AMA pro, you should not lay a finger on your bike. tire selection, bar selection, race sag, suspension valving, gearing ect make no difference whatsoever, unless you are a pro, and if you mess with any of that you are a gimmicky fat girl eating icecream, who likes black rims and graphics. that is exactly what you are saying

oh, and benching 325 and weighing 185 is not "good shape".
Listen up noobie! You may be in excellent shape you seem to want to brag about it. Try riding 30 minute moto's back to back and check your heart rate. You may be a beast on the stack but that doesn't really mean shit. You are not the only one that knows their way around a weight room.

As for bike mods I am saying most people do silly things to their bike that don't make them faster. If it saves a second a lap do it. If not spend your money on something that will.

Once you have been around here for a while you will learn that this place is filled with guys that might be fast enough for the novice class if they ride? Or old dudes with a garage queen that has every titanium bolt and carbon fiber doo dad you can buy. Neither are riding their bike to its stock potential. Let alone it's modded out potential.

Hang around a while get a feel for the place. These newbie's will be annoying you in a year.

Post a reply to: Does any one cut their bars down?

The Latest