Does a Dude Ranch for Moto-Guys Exist?

austin_bo
Fantasy
160th
9/20/2021 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2021 6:58am
I just went down the wormhole that is google maps and discovered a plethora of dude ranches in Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado that look like amazing vacation spots. I'm talking accommodations that sit in arguably the most scenic places in America, where you can ride horses, white water raft, and essentially enjoy all of the outdoor fruits this country has to offer.

I'm not much of an equestrian (or cowboy for that matter), but like the lot of you, I sure as hell like riding my dirt bike. It'd be killer if I could vacation at a spot like the aforementioned and explore wilderness on two wheels. Hit up some trails along a river, or ride single track in the mountains. Then crash at a cabin on the ranch at the end of the day and throw back a few cold ones with my buddies.

I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything. Does a place like this exist? Or, am I being naive to think the EPA would allow for something like this?

A few photos for concepts...

|
mxtech1
9/20/2021 5:49pm
To be honest, if you politely contact those “dude ranches” and explained to them you are an environmentally conscious off-road rider you might be surprised if they open their gates for you to explore on. Not saying it’s a for sure thing, but it’s worth an email or phone call.
Rickyisms
9/20/2021 5:51pm
Crested Butte, Colorado if your bike is able to be plated. Absolutely the most gorgeous scenery I’ve ever seen. Didn’t get to ride but saw tons of dual sport dudes ripping the trails all around us.
9/20/2021 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2021 6:46pm
I went to Gold Creek Lodge in Northern Idaho last year. My buddy Kevin Rookstool worked there. We went up for a weekend and ended up staying for 10 days. It's epic!! Moto, Wake surf boats restaurant, beers and lots of exploring. The scenery is awesome. The 10 days we were there we got to ride with Rookstool, Cody Webb, Tarah Gieger and Chuck Sun. All kinds of celeb riders cruise through that place. You never know who you'll run into. See link below.

https://goldcreeklodge.com/
Xeno
9/20/2021 7:06pm
When I saw the thread title, I thought “Gold Creek Lodge”.

The Shop

66TR66
9/20/2021 7:38pm
This place is gonna work on so many levels for the Wife and my planned trip to the US and Canada.
Planning on making the Washougal National in 2023, then play golf at Coeur d’Alene on our way to Canada to Kamloops, Banff Etc... Seems like this place is only 15 miles from Coeur d’Alene. Superb.Woohoo
austin_bo
Fantasy
160th
9/20/2021 7:41pm
I went to Gold Creek Lodge in Northern Idaho last year. My buddy Kevin Rookstool worked there. We went up for a weekend and ended up...
I went to Gold Creek Lodge in Northern Idaho last year. My buddy Kevin Rookstool worked there. We went up for a weekend and ended up staying for 10 days. It's epic!! Moto, Wake surf boats restaurant, beers and lots of exploring. The scenery is awesome. The 10 days we were there we got to ride with Rookstool, Cody Webb, Tarah Gieger and Chuck Sun. All kinds of celeb riders cruise through that place. You never know who you'll run into. See link below.

This place looks awesome. Thank you!
spimx
9/20/2021 8:30pm
Moab
kylemenz1
Fantasy
956th
9/20/2021 8:46pm
Dual sport rides man! I do one in Colorado where we go though Crested Butte. Like mentioned above the best off-road ridding in the world is there! You could ride 100+ miles of single track in one day, go over 14,000 foot passes, and enjoy some really cool night life. Try to find dual sport rides in the area. There’s a big one called the “Colorado 500.”
Spudnut
9/20/2021 9:23pm
That Flying iron horse ranch track comes to mind
Dimblewambie
9/20/2021 9:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2021 9:25pm
Larry Ward was running that place in Oklahoma right? Just remember hearing about it on his Whiskey throttle show and it sounds really fuckin awesome.
romain524
9/21/2021 1:49am
Durhamtown, GA would be a bit like that, tracks, trails, cabins
wwoberg
9/21/2021 2:51am
romain524 wrote:
Durhamtown, GA would be a bit like that, tracks, trails, cabins
I was also gonna mention Durhamtown. Not the views like the pics, and I would not say the accommodations are 2 star hotel level, but you can ride, hunt, fish, shoot, and there's a bar and restaurant.
Timo
9/21/2021 5:48am
Hatfield McCoy Trails in West Virginia are kinda like that, you can ride your dirt bike from Camp/hotel all around most of the towns to get food or gas.
Shapi
9/21/2021 6:22am
A handful of moto celebs and insiders (Abbott, Emig, Langston, Short, Sipes....)started an adventure effort called Speed and Sport Adventures. While it's not a dude ranch per se, they are setting up some really cool, high end, experiences.
rohleder644
9/21/2021 6:33am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2021 6:36am
I went to Gold Creek Lodge in Northern Idaho last year. My buddy Kevin Rookstool worked there. We went up for a weekend and ended up...

This has got to be one of the coolest set ups I’ve ever seen. Where else does something like this this exist??? The ability to fly in and rent a bike makes this a no brainer.
Crash217
9/21/2021 8:22am
GnarlyRoutes does fly and ride group trips throughout the west and mountains. Rent a their KTM, or bring your own sometimes, ride single track for a week.

RawHyde Adventures does big trips ADV through Colorado, Utah, Baja, South America and they even took groups to follow the Dakar when it was in South America.

Malcom Smith, Baja Bound and a dozen other companies will guide you through Baja on anything from dirtbikes to ADV bikes to SXS etc, You can go as simple as tent camping to getting the best accommodations on the peninsula. Self guide yourself or get in with a group.

There are a ton of options to do fly and ride bike rides of all types all over the world. Just google "location + motorcycle trip + rental"

Gold Creek is a pretty special and unique thing, but you could get a similar experience taking a few extra steps to track down a bike rental place where you want to go rent a cabin, RV, hotel room, pack camping gear, whatever and go. (Moab, UT and Salida, CO are easy to make all this happen)
9/21/2021 9:01am
A few pics from our trip.
Having a drink with Chuck Sun. The old school Mx stories with Mr Sun are priceless and Chuck still kills it especially in the steep and techie stuff.
We went in early June so we hit a little snow up high.
I switched from my Mx set up Kawi to one of the rental 300's and couldn't have been happier. I don't recommend an MX set up. The trails are very technical.
The views are absolutely spectacular in just about every direction.
The bar is the after ride social hub and the food is awesome. Fridays are traeger cooked prime rib.

We brought our pit bikes and did some super fun group rides on those on a rainy day. Rookie and Tarah were nailing some gnarly steep lines on the pitters LOL We laughed our asses off.

Pressure wash station for post bike clean up.

Rookie taking in the view.

We came into some down trees while the leaders were clearing we were havin fun.
Pool in the shop
The shop has a full service repair set up with mechanic it also is a social hangout as well.
My kid hanging with Rookie at the lodge bar. Be careful with your open tab and your kids, mine must have a drank a case and a half of soda pop. Seriously, the food and drinks are super reasonable considering you are deep in the back country. The chefs are amazing too. Great food. This was during the height of COVID crazy and we were happily removed from it. It was actually the highlight of our year. Dave the owner is an awesome human and killer host. He has built such an incredible experience I can't recommend it enough. Even if you aren't a big trail rider it's still fun.

Renner153
Fantasy
3544th
9/21/2021 9:09am
If you want to do some of the best riding...look into Costa Rica Unlimited. They have the best place to stay and an epic location to do all sorts of riding.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
9/21/2021 9:16am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2021 9:17am
Renner153 wrote:
If you want to do some of the best riding...look into Costa Rica Unlimited. They have the best place to stay and an epic location to...
If you want to do some of the best riding...look into Costa Rica Unlimited. They have the best place to stay and an epic location to do all sorts of riding.
I’ve been twice and heading back in May.
Chris is a great host and the whole experience is top notch.

I’ve also been to Gold Creek Lodge a couple months ago and had a great trip!
Colton Haaker was there along with Chuck Sun. Had 3 killer days of riding there and will go back again next June. This time we are taking our own bikes….
PC
9/21/2021 9:59am

Gotta let a brotha know next time as I live like 30 miles away from GCL. Ask KR is he remembers the 'maintenance' ride from a few years back. He was bumming beers/fireball/whatever from random people in the woods to avoid the pending hangover. Funniest shit I ever saw.

If you head this way again let me know as I've got some routes to show you. I even have a 300 you can ride.
cmotodad
9/21/2021 2:43pm
Not sure if he is stilling doing his Ben Townley MX and rides in NZ. I believe. Similar and on my bucket list
ElliotB16
9/21/2021 2:57pm
Durhamtown is a lot of fun. They have multiple moto tracks and several different trails. Side by side rentals for the family.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
9/21/2021 3:11pm
Mike's Sky Ranch is on the bucket list

langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
9/21/2021 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2021 3:58pm
cmotodad wrote:
Not sure if he is stilling doing his Ben Townley MX and rides in NZ. I believe. Similar and on my bucket list
Bob,
We were planning on heading there last year, until the world turned upside down. But if it’s possible to pull it off next year, we are going. I’m going to hit up Ben now and see what’s the latest on restrictions over there, I’ll be in touch.

Edit-
I checked his website and it looks like he’s switching over from the off-road bikes, to Adventure bikes. Which I’m sure is fun, but I’m not “there yet” ! Lol

https://101adventures.co.nz/

He’s got his motocross tour too and you can race like a factory guy, if you wish…

https://101adventures.co.nz/
Shapi
9/21/2021 4:55pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
Mike's Sky Ranch is on the bucket list

Call Chris Haines...great outfit. Been 3X last one with my 13 year old (at the time) He caught the bug for sure!
9/21/2021 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2021 5:08pm

PC wrote:
Gotta let a brotha know next time as I live like 30 miles away from GCL. Ask KR is he remembers the 'maintenance' ride from a...
Gotta let a brotha know next time as I live like 30 miles away from GCL. Ask KR is he remembers the 'maintenance' ride from a few years back. He was bumming beers/fireball/whatever from random people in the woods to avoid the pending hangover. Funniest shit I ever saw.

If you head this way again let me know as I've got some routes to show you. I even have a 300 you can ride.
I've been wanting to get back up this year. We've been racing a lot this year instead. I will definitely hit you up. Rookie definitely made it fun for us up there LOL When did you move to Northern Idaho?
9/21/2021 9:17pm

Boom, hands down THE place. Just seeing pics from a group in my crew that returned and kicking myself for not going. I'll be joining on the next trip.

Post a reply to: Does a Dude Ranch for Moto-Guys Exist?

The Latest