Does a 2019 KTM need coolant?

Do_Work
Edited Date/Time 4/27/2019 6:44pm
How the F does marvin (the whoop jumper) crush his radiator and seemingly lose all coolant on the first lap, then literally sprint the rest of the race to get 6th. I thought for sure his top end would melt down before 20 minutes. Do these bikes even need water at this point? Is that $50/qt motorex so good that a water cooled bike does not need water?

Also: Kenny and Cole were PASTRANA fast through the hoops. God forbid someone like Eli gets back on a honda and turns his weakest part of the track into his best.... just saying.
|
Rickyisms
4/6/2019 8:58pm
go to a practice day and ride your bike without coolant all day and find out for us??. be sure the post your report here!
zehn
4/6/2019 8:58pm
Eli’s weakest part of the track is the whoops? The fuck are you smoking?
mxb2
4/6/2019 9:00pm
Rickyisms wrote:
go to a practice day and ride your bike without coolant all day and find out for us??. be sure the post your report here!
Hell yea, run it dryGrinning
dirtmike86
4/6/2019 9:50pm
I just found out while taking my rmz450 apart for no reason that that water pump shaft is broken and hasn't been spinning for who knows how long lol. Good thing I ride tracks. Thing never over heated.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/6/2019 10:00pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
I just found out while taking my rmz450 apart for no reason that that water pump shaft is broken and hasn't been spinning for who knows...
I just found out while taking my rmz450 apart for no reason that that water pump shaft is broken and hasn't been spinning for who knows how long lol. Good thing I ride tracks. Thing never over heated.
No way..... got lucky with that one
dirtmike86
4/6/2019 10:12pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
I just found out while taking my rmz450 apart for no reason that that water pump shaft is broken and hasn't been spinning for who knows...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
No way..... got lucky with that one
Yeah I've rode it at milestone like 5 times since I bought it lol. Funny thing is I noticed a tiny bit of coolant out the over flow once so I ordered the boyesen supercooler and a top end for shits and giggles. Coolant was still above the fins.
Racer111
4/7/2019 12:36am
Ktms are junk! Id never buy one!
So you’ve never owned one, but you call them junk?

They are way more impressive than your posts.
reded
4/7/2019 12:49am
Racer111 wrote:

Chill bro, he was joking.
Helda
4/7/2019 2:31am
Did he really drain all his coolant?
4/7/2019 6:39am
Do_Work wrote:
How the F does marvin (the whoop jumper) crush his radiator and seemingly lose all coolant on the first lap, then literally sprint the rest of...
How the F does marvin (the whoop jumper) crush his radiator and seemingly lose all coolant on the first lap, then literally sprint the rest of the race to get 6th. I thought for sure his top end would melt down before 20 minutes. Do these bikes even need water at this point? Is that $50/qt motorex so good that a water cooled bike does not need water?

Also: Kenny and Cole were PASTRANA fast through the hoops. God forbid someone like Eli gets back on a honda and turns his weakest part of the track into his best.... just saying.
I was suprised his bike held up too. Not sure of how it survived
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
4/7/2019 8:53am
Did y'all notice Eli's bike emitting some smoke intermittently toward the end of the race?
TeamGreen
4/7/2019 9:06am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Nice!

It would nice to know, from one of our engineering brethren, if it’s likely that your bike was “thermo-syphoning” the coolant and that was enough to cool it...?
RCF
4/7/2019 10:02am
Racing off-road We've ran our bikes out of coolant multiple times without any ill effects
Meister
4/7/2019 10:38am
Racer111 wrote:

.......he owns one. Take the serious hat off and put the sarcasm detector on.
loftyair
4/7/2019 10:47am
I usually take the rad cap off and ride. When its no longer spooging hot s*it all over me, I take a break, and filler up for next session.
SEE ARE125
4/7/2019 2:46pm
After RC reads this he’s going to want to know if it’s more aerodynamic to just take the radiators off.
dirtmike86
4/7/2019 3:15pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice! It would nice to know, from one of our engineering brethren, if it’s likely that your bike was “thermo-syphoning” the coolant and that was enough...
Nice!

It would nice to know, from one of our engineering brethren, if it’s likely that your bike was “thermo-syphoning” the coolant and that was enough to cool it...?

Tore it down last night. This was the culprit. Very glad I found it. Could have been bad. Lol I have no idea if it was siphoning but it doesnt look like it damaged the piston or cylinder.
Texas Built
4/7/2019 11:15pm
It does not. Just thank baby Jesus on the podium and your bike wont blow up, nobody will crash you out (if they do, a red flag will mysteriously appear and you get a mulligan), your bike wont need coolant or talent.
Timo_2824
4/8/2019 5:07am
dirtmike86 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Nice! It would nice to know, from one of our engineering brethren, if it’s likely that your bike was “thermo-syphoning” the coolant and that was enough...
Nice!

That's what I was thinking, the hottest part would be the head, so that coolant would rise up through the radiator pushing the colder coolant back down through the engine. No way it would have made it through an off-road race where the speeds get super slow, but a Moto track for 15-20 minute sessions would be believable as long as it wasn't a mudder.
kage173
4/8/2019 6:20am
It does not. Just thank baby Jesus on the podium and your bike wont blow up, nobody will crash you out (if they do, a red...
It does not. Just thank baby Jesus on the podium and your bike wont blow up, nobody will crash you out (if they do, a red flag will mysteriously appear and you get a mulligan), your bike wont need coolant or talent.
Just curious why thanking Jesus bothers you so much?
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
4/8/2019 6:59am
It does not. Just thank baby Jesus on the podium and your bike wont blow up, nobody will crash you out (if they do, a red...
kage173 wrote:
Just curious why thanking Jesus bothers you so much?
nope we're not going there.
fourfourone
4/8/2019 7:26am
Friend of mine just brought his bike in to get the top end done on his 17 350sxf. 90 hours. They called him and said his water pump shaft bearing was seized and hadn't been spinning for a while. Last few rides last year we were in Southwick sand and they bike never over heated. I cant understand how it never over heated. The bearing was locked solid.
ob
4/8/2019 7:43am
Those bikes are so good they don't need oil either, Swiss watch looking internals.
spimx
4/8/2019 9:36am
Do_Work wrote:
How the F does marvin (the whoop jumper) crush his radiator and seemingly lose all coolant on the first lap, then literally sprint the rest of...

Honda has been crap for a few years. If Ken was still on KTM things would be different. KTM has the fastest bike and program and KX second.

Who would think at the highest level of the sport carrying a whole other useless exhaust pipe would make a difference.
Do_Work
4/27/2019 6:44pm
zehn wrote:
I don't smoke bro. I also just watched new jersey...
4csHATER
4/27/2019 8:34pm
Okay so heat is developed by friction right?

What if one had no friction except clutch. On these ktm 450 motors im sure they are almost frictionless, i know for a Fact there are processes out there that can make parts have less friction and when you are putting 100k into a race machine, why would you even want friction, you wouldnt! They have had this thing dialed and figured out for years, Supercross is a SHOW, those engines are near frictionless. so no heat developing, and when there is self lubrication part processes (cough) kashima (cough) there would you really even need the coolant. You do for longevity of parts, but for one race probably not.

4/28/2019 10:13am
zehn wrote:
When the break down to pussy whoops. He can't jump them the best. But when there big him and roczen eat

Post a reply to: Does a 2019 KTM need coolant?

The Latest