Does WADA monitor the injured riders and make sure they are not using anything to speed up recovery?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 3:29 PM

This deal with Herlings has me wondering where they draw the line as far as methods of recovery vs performance enhancement.

|

6/13/2018 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 3:33 PM

Aspirin is on the banned susbtance list so OF COURSE they monitor them. If they get caught talking aspirin then it's a 4 YEAR BAN!!!!!!

And got forbid they get caught taking

DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE
I
H
Y
D
R
O
G
E
N

M
O
N
O
X
I
D
E

|

6/13/2018 3:44 PM

Think you'd be looking to the FIM, not WADA. I doubt they would target test unless someone narc'ed, which is a ground for investigation, or unless he already was on call for out of competition testing.

I believe athletes do have to get retroactive TUE's for regulated substances administered during any emergency response if the substance is prohibited.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

6/13/2018 3:50 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Think you'd be looking to the FIM, not WADA. I doubt they would target test unless someone narc'ed, which is a ground for ...more

Seems to Me the FIM is only interested in catching people in the USA, no black eye's for the series they own.

|

6/13/2018 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 4:11 PM

They only administer competition tests and two riders per year go on whereabouts. In whereabouts, they’re tracked all year. So those two riders each year can be tested outside of competition, even if injured. The rest however, can’t be tested outside of a Racing venue.

|

6/13/2018 4:18 PM

500guy wrote:

Seems to Me the FIM is only interested in catching people in the USA, no black eye's for the series they own.

I'm not a conspiracy kind of guy, but if I was, I'd like where you're going with this. haha!

|

6/13/2018 4:21 PM

500guy wrote:

They have busted several GP racers over the years. It’s been awhile and the penalties were not as severe. Most were for cold medicine type antihistamine medication. I don’t remember the specific cases off the top of my head (and don’t want to throw names out if I remembered the wrong guy), but GP riders have had issues.

|

6/13/2018 5:16 PM

No, they are ok with that kind of cheating!

|

6/13/2018 5:21 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Think you'd be looking to the FIM, not WADA. I doubt they would target test unless someone narc'ed, which is a ground for ...more

500guy wrote:

KirkChandler wrote:

They have busted several GP racers over the years. It’s been awhile and the penalties were not as severe. Most were for cold ...more

Andrea Bartolini tested positive for an anabolic steroid back in the day I believe . Gert Van Doorn was popped for something also .

|

6/13/2018 5:21 PM

Can anyone tell us who the last rider in the GP's was or is that's on the whereabouts program?

|

6/13/2018 5:56 PM

I'd say this is when most of the doping occurs and the off season. Gets you back going sooner and then get off the stuff before the season.

|

6/13/2018 6:09 PM

yea HGH and IGF-1 and all that shit has a marked impact on recovery times. shits no joke.

ppl sure bounce back from injuries quick these days too (not that i think there's anything wrong with that).

|

6/13/2018 6:20 PM

Is stem cell therapy banned ?

|

6/13/2018 6:29 PM

Kenny said multiple times he was smoked off painkillers and barely remembers the first week. Hes not cheating he has a valid prescription because he destroyed his arm. No way are you not allowed to use painkillers after surgery. Anderson posted a snap saying “im high” looking... high. Whoever is suggesting this is nuts.

|

6/13/2018 6:34 PM

If there is a where abouts program in place for MX/SX then yes they could receive an out of competition test.

|

6/13/2018 6:42 PM

another one

|

6/13/2018 6:58 PM

ML512 wrote:

They only administer competition tests and two riders per year go on whereabouts. In whereabouts, they’re tracked all year. So ...more

Post injury would most likely be things like HGH, which is crazy expensive. Any idea what else they would test for?

|

KTM Keys to the moto:
Get a good start
Don't blow it

6/13/2018 7:00 PM

drt410 wrote:

Kenny said multiple times he was smoked off painkillers and barely remembers the first week. Hes not cheating he has a valid ...more

I don't think they're referring to prescribed pain killers...most likely things like HGH etc, things that would freakishly speed up recovery.

|

KTM Keys to the moto:
Get a good start
Don't blow it

6/13/2018 7:05 PM

milliebays wrote:

yea HGH and IGF-1 and all that shit has a marked impact on recovery times. shits no joke.

ppl sure bounce back from injuries ...more

Definitely HGH/IGF-1....but in the Moto community?!?!? Because that stuff is crazy crazy expensive. I think stem cell injections would be more common, and is what you see professional athletes using (NFL)

|

KTM Keys to the moto:
Get a good start
Don't blow it

6/13/2018 7:13 PM

ML512 wrote:

They only administer competition tests and two riders per year go on whereabouts. In whereabouts, they’re tracked all year. So ...more

Ericrob7 wrote:

Post injury would most likely be things like HGH, which is crazy expensive. Any idea what else they would test for?

They test for everything on their illegal substance panel.

|

6/13/2018 7:14 PM

ML512 wrote:

Ericrob7 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Cool, thanks for the response bro.

|

KTM Keys to the moto:
Get a good start
Don't blow it

6/13/2018 8:04 PM

ML512 wrote:

So how do they pick the 2riders to monitor/test? Was Dungey ever tasted or monitored?

|

Mugen666

6/13/2018 8:50 PM

There are two categories of banned substances. "Banned in competition", and "Banned at all times". Nothing the doctor will give him is in the latter category. Unless he partakes in blood doping or anabolics for "recovery", he'll be fine. The lists are on WADA's website. Take a minute to educate yourself. https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited

|

6/13/2018 8:59 PM

ML512 wrote:

MX-LIFE. wrote:

So how do they pick the 2riders to monitor/test? Was Dungey ever tasted or monitored?

I don't know how they select, I just know two a year are chosen for Supercross...not sure about MXGP.

Yes, Dungey has been on it. I've heard the following riders mention having been chosen for it at least one year.

Ryan Villopoto
Jason Anderson
Ryan Dungey
Andrew Short
Chad Reed
Trey Canard

Trying to remember who else...

|

6/13/2018 9:11 PM

Interesting discussion on the collision of banned substances and current medical technology.

https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/body-work/some-olympic-doping-drugs-may-have-legitimate-medical-uses

|

I'm goin' off the rails on a crazy train

6/13/2018 9:19 PM

milliebays wrote:

ppl sure bounce back from injuries ...more

Ericrob7 wrote:

Definitely HGH/IGF-1....but in the Moto community?!?!? Because that stuff is crazy crazy expensive. I think stem cell ...more

Expensive is obviously a relative term. Is $1500 really that expensive for a top flight rider. Not suggesting they’re cheating in anyway but if they’re not, i can assure you it isn’t because they can’t afford a vile of HGG.

|

6/13/2018 9:28 PM

ML512 wrote:

Ericrob7 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

don't mean to nitpick, but i believe many tests are extremely expensive and have to be done using blood samples.

in domestic cycling for instance, such tests are reserved for athletes under heavy suspicion or if USADA gets a tip via RaceClean hotline.

urine testing doesn't cover as many substances as people believe, IMHO.

|

6/14/2018 12:58 AM

Unrelated to Herlings but if a guy is ‘out’ of a series are they still potentially tested? Could a rider take a year out, hit up plenty of PEDs then return with a clean system?

|

6/14/2018 3:30 AM

ML512 wrote:

MX-LIFE. wrote:

ML512 wrote:

I don't know how they select, I just know two a year are chosen for Supercross...not sure about MXGP.

Yes, Dungey has been on ...more

This was something I brought up in the Tickle thread a while ago also, who are the GP riders on this list? AC222, Febrve, Herlings, Gjaser? Like FTE said, been almost 18 years since Bartiloni got popped for steroids i believe, no way all their guys are clean in a region where most of the cheating methods have been invented or evolved from.

|

6/14/2018 3:32 AM

Andy_Greenney wrote:

Unrelated to Herlings but if a guy is ‘out’ of a series are they still potentially tested? Could a rider take a year out, hit ...more

I think Reed brought up no one gets tested in the off season, which to me means he knows guys are doing stuff since it will be long gone by the time racing starts and this helps the recovery from the training camps these guys are in.

|