Does Mookie really not know why....

BobKerr
1/15/2018 4:38pm
KennyT wrote:
Did he not get offered a ride or did he not accept any offers? I have no idea. Maybe he has received a dozen offers but...

Did he not get offered a ride or did he not accept any offers? I have no idea.

Maybe he has received a dozen offers but none of them were the dollar amount he was after. Maybe Malcolm is basing his worth off of the Stewart name and is expecting way more than his actual worth to the teams.

There is a NFL player that is threatening to retire next year if he gets the franchise tag....which means he will only make 14 mil for the season. Maybe Malcolm is willing to sit out if he’s not getting the $$$ he wants.
Mike Genova who owns Motoconcepts offered him a ride several months or more ago. Malcolm turned it down at the time because he and James were working on putting a team together. That never happened, and Malcolm called Mike back a few months later. By that time Motoconcepts had their team sorted out, so it was too late. Mike did a podcast with Matthes and explained it all.
FARANG
1/15/2018 4:44pm
Of course he knows why – but marketing 101 dictates that he shouldn't come out saying, "I thought I was hotter shit than I was... and...
Of course he knows why – but marketing 101 dictates that he shouldn't come out saying, "I thought I was hotter shit than I was... and I shouldn't have taken half the year off" – though I'd argue he'd get a lot of respect back if he did stand up and say it.
Yep. It's obvious what happened - even to Stewart, but it would take a pretty big man to publicly admit that he was too cocksure and got a dose of reality. Not gonna happen.

He did OK on Saturday, but 11th with Tomac and Musquin out isn't exactly ground breaking for someone with his profile. It kind of speaks volumes about how his star has fallen when he's being lauded for 11th place.

JBecker 72
1/15/2018 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 4:47pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
I was surprised he didn’t have a ride last year after winning the east 250 championship in 2016.
Rockinar wrote:

What rookie has skipped outdoors and got a 450 ride? Nobody. And neither did Mookie.
I’m not saying it would have been a spot on Factory Honda, but something at least.

Edit: maybe it was a case of him turning down lower tier teams. I was just surprised he wasn’t out there.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
1/15/2018 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 4:48pm
KennyT wrote:
Did he not get offered a ride or did he not accept any offers? I have no idea. Maybe he has received a dozen offers but...

Did he not get offered a ride or did he not accept any offers? I have no idea.

Maybe he has received a dozen offers but none of them were the dollar amount he was after. Maybe Malcolm is basing his worth off of the Stewart name and is expecting way more than his actual worth to the teams.

There is a NFL player that is threatening to retire next year if he gets the franchise tag....which means he will only make 14 mil for the season. Maybe Malcolm is willing to sit out if he’s not getting the $$$ he wants.
BobKerr wrote:
Mike Genova who owns Motoconcepts offered him a ride several months or more ago. Malcolm turned it down at the time because he and James were...
Mike Genova who owns Motoconcepts offered him a ride several months or more ago. Malcolm turned it down at the time because he and James were working on putting a team together. That never happened, and Malcolm called Mike back a few months later. By that time Motoconcepts had their team sorted out, so it was too late. Mike did a podcast with Matthes and explained it all.
Thank you for that info...I don’t follow as closely as some of you. That’s a shame he turned it down. Most likely Genova had a pretty decent offer for him. Thanks!

The Shop

BikerScars
1/15/2018 6:58pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if his race and long dreds might be one reason. He looks very different in an advertisement than a lot of riders. There...
Sometimes I wonder if his race and long dreds might be one reason. He looks very different in an advertisement than a lot of riders. There is racism in this industry, believe it or not.
No effing way!!! Go find a safe space.
If anything the brainwashed millennials think ones skin color makes them virtuous, and that is highly marketable.
And quite frankly his dreads look awesome.

I am a huge Stewart fan (both of them actually), but you DON"T take the summer off when you are relatively healthy and finally starting to make your mark. You PT harder than ever, dig deeper, and keep racing and make sure the world knows you are no one hit wonder. This sport was always about talent, but now conditioning obviously plays a bigger and bigger role. He needs to stay in shape and not stop racing. Show the teams he is driven.

I hope he does that, and I hope he kicks ass.
captmoto
1/15/2018 9:27pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
I was surprised he didn’t have a ride last year after winning the east 250 championship in 2016.
He had a ride for the 16 Nationals and passed. Geico was pissed he didn't go with it. Teams are looking for a particular work ethic. Opting out sends a pretty negative vibe out to potential employers. He should have had a plan for 17 but I guess he thought a regional title was enough.
moto9
1/15/2018 10:22pm
There's so much that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
He did say on pulp that he couldn't get a deal done because of his gear contract, that if a team really wanted him they'd find a way to make it happen.
I was surprised to hear that he does want to do out doors and he's hoping to get a contract.
We'll see, he did well in Houston!
Rockinar
1/15/2018 10:32pm
Go to a job interview. During the interview, tell them "Yes, I want the job, but I'm only going to work January - May. I'm going to go bass fishing the rest of the year."

Let's see if you get the job.
1/15/2018 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 11:00pm
Mookie doesn't have the same view of himself and his situation as the know nothing Vital experts, so I can fully understand his response.
“Squirrelings” awesome name.
1/16/2018 12:09am
Has anyone in the history of the sport won a title and not able to get a ride at factory level?
Robgvx
1/16/2018 12:14am
Has anyone in the history of the sport won a title and not able to get a ride at factory level?
Brad Lackey.
bama205
1/16/2018 12:52am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 12:52am
Robgvx wrote:
Brad Lackey.
Wasn't barcia rideless for a short time?
Reed?
jasonward73
1/16/2018 3:36am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 3:37am
Tim Ferry
ATKpilot99
1/16/2018 6:27am
Robgvx wrote:
Brad Lackey.
Didn't he ask a ridiculously high salary for the time because he was thinking about retirement anyway ?
I think he said that on mxfiles or something like it.
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/16/2018 7:42am
I too was struck by his comment about why he doesn't know or understand his lack of factory support. His resume to this point lacks the pedigree for a supercross only deal. Pretty simple. And turning down solid opportunities in addition to being allergic to the nationals certainly hasn't helped his cause.
MX-LIFE.
1/16/2018 7:47am
Mookie doesn't have the same view of himself and his situation as the know nothing Vital experts, so I can fully understand his response.
Yes this.
davistld01
1/16/2018 7:50am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 8:50am
I’ve heard Big James is a great dude...I’ve heard he’s hard to work with...I’ve heard the teams don’t want him as part of the Stewart package. Rarely have I seen it work out with a rider having his Dad in a factory shirt telling everybody what to do in regards to his son & his bike. Is this the reason? Is it more them not wanting to basically having to sign Big James as well as Malcolm?
MX-LIFE.
1/16/2018 7:54am
bents wrote:
I too was struck by his comment about why he doesn't know or understand his lack of factory support. His resume to this point lacks the...
I too was struck by his comment about why he doesn't know or understand his lack of factory support. His resume to this point lacks the pedigree for a supercross only deal. Pretty simple. And turning down solid opportunities in addition to being allergic to the nationals certainly hasn't helped his cause.
So does Davalos but yet he has never been without a ride and the guy has been in the 250 class for 20years with no championship Lol?? Malcolm has a ride now for how ever many races they (JGR) agree to finnished 11th in his first race back and most internet experts had him finishing outside the top 15! Congratulations Malcolm and welcome back!
MX-LIFE.
1/16/2018 8:02am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 8:17am
I know this is about Malcolm but since all the experts on this issue know why he didn't get a ride please tell me how the hell Davalos can ride the 250 class for 20years and continue to get a factory ride? With not one pro championship..??
lumpy790
1/16/2018 8:11am
With only a couple days setting up the bike for him and qualified and finished respectfully in his 1st race.

I like that!
hamncheeze
1/16/2018 8:25am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 8:32am
Like all things in Camp Stewart it is impossible to get a full read on the situation. Malcolm passed up a Motoconcepts ride to be on a team with James. But in the March issue of RacerX Roger Larsen says that team was not that close to being a done deal, and they were jerked around by some money people. Meanwhile the clock ticked on and it appeared Malcolm did not have a plan B. He misses A1, gets the fill in ride at JGR but then he's on RaceDay Live with Holley and Blair saying his biggest problem is that he was at the back of the bus waiting to get factory suspension and that's why he couldn't make A1.

Honestly, who knows what to believe? I just can't help but think if Malcolm really wanted to be on the starting line at A1 he could have been there. And skipping outdoors in 2016, starting his season late in 2017 and 2018....this just sends a message to the industry that he is not really motivated unless someone is dangling the money. And that's fine, but when there are no shortage of guys looking for rides every season this plan is not going to work out. Look at Justin Hill, it could be argued that he took a deal with JGR to ride a turd bike in 2018 so he has a 450 deal for 2019 when it is probable that Osborne, Davalos, Plessinger, Savatgy and McElrath will also need rides. 2019 is going to be a year of reckoning for a few guys in the 450 class with so many riders poised to move up.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
1/16/2018 8:27am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 8:27am
yz133rider wrote:
I cant think of a single factory rider whos won a championship then sat out the outdoors while healthy... Outside of mcgrath or reed when in...
I cant think of a single factory rider whos won a championship then sat out the outdoors while healthy... Outside of mcgrath or reed when in their winning days.

Malcolm wasnt in that type of level at the time to be taking summers off.
nrosso391 wrote:
BOOM....we have a winner. Totally true. Malcolm barely gets the title, and I specifically remember him saying he wasn't going to do outdoors. He was healthy...
BOOM....we have a winner. Totally true. Malcolm barely gets the title, and I specifically remember him saying he wasn't going to do outdoors. He was healthy and the fastest he's looked in his career....So why not? NO ONE DOES THAT!
kkawboy14 wrote:
Well......except for Reed and McGrath!
Did you miss the part where I agreed with the quoted statement about Reed and McGrath doing that?...
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
1/16/2018 8:30am
MX-LIFE. wrote:
I know this is about Malcolm but since all the experts on this issue know why he didn't get a ride please tell me how the...
I know this is about Malcolm but since all the experts on this issue know why he didn't get a ride please tell me how the hell Davalos can ride the 250 class for 20years and continue to get a factory ride? With not one pro championship..??
Because he knows how to work the system...duh. Probably got tips from Mike Brown, but of course that was before the pointing out rules.
spd721
1/16/2018 8:34am
Wasn't one of his big issues as an amateur that he didn't care enough about racing??? Maybe that's still an issue for him.

I'm under the impression that Mookie feels entitled to a ride but he hasn't done anything to make him worthy of a ride the last few years. Sure...he got a region 250 sx title a couple of years ago but he barely won it and choose to not ride outdoors purely because he didn't want to. Last year, he was lucky to get inside the top 10.
hasko158
1/16/2018 8:36am
Barcia threw a Honda bike and ride together within weeks, Mookie had 9 months! Not only could he not get a bike ready he is out of shape. That says it all to me.
BobbyM
1/16/2018 8:49am
Robgvx wrote:
Brad Lackey.
Bad Brad wanted lotsa money I think. Rob do you know Hudson or noyce? Are buds with them?
tingo
1/16/2018 8:56am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 8:58am
hasko158 wrote:
Barcia threw a Honda bike and ride together within weeks, Mookie had 9 months! Not only could he not get a bike ready he is out...
Barcia threw a Honda bike and ride together within weeks, Mookie had 9 months! Not only could he not get a bike ready he is out of shape. That says it all to me.
But is he out of shape? I know that "fact" gets thrown around here a lot - why? Still waiting for Jeffro to eat his pitchfork-sized helpings of crow for his predictions that Malcolm would drop anchor.

Here are his lap times from the Houston main, if anyone wants to look at actual data:

MX-LIFE.
1/16/2018 9:25am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if his race and long dreds might be one reason. He looks very different in an advertisement than a lot of riders. There...
Sometimes I wonder if his race and long dreds might be one reason. He looks very different in an advertisement than a lot of riders. There is racism in this industry, believe it or not.
TeamGreen wrote:
Demographically, "Race" works in Malcolm's favor.

Really? Since when??? Not trying to turn this into a black or white thing but I don't see to many Brothas racing dirt bikes..If you have some other information please share! I'm just hoping Malcolm sees this as a blessing and makes the most of it!
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 9:27am
hasko158 wrote:
Barcia threw a Honda bike and ride together within weeks, Mookie had 9 months! Not only could he not get a bike ready he is out...
tingo wrote:
But is he out of shape? I know that "fact" gets thrown around here a lot - why? Still waiting for Jeffro to eat his pitchfork-sized...
But is he out of shape? I know that "fact" gets thrown around here a lot - why? Still waiting for Jeffro to eat his pitchfork-sized helpings of crow for his predictions that Malcolm would drop anchor.

Here are his lap times from the Houston main, if anyone wants to look at actual data:

See he did drop anchor on that last lap Smile
Robgvx
1/16/2018 9:30am
Robgvx wrote:
Brad Lackey.
BobbyM wrote:
Bad Brad wanted lotsa money I think. Rob do you know Hudson or noyce? Are buds with them?
Yes Bob.

Post a reply to: Does Mookie really not know why....

The Latest