Does Marvin retire?

TxGuy
I stole this from someone else's comment, but I found it really interesting.
The jist:

Does Marvin retire? He's missed a whole SX season, he's not a youngster anymore, he's made a ton of cash, his brother is paralyzed, and now he's going through the Moreau situation? That's a lot for a guy to process. I know what I'd do: walk away. I wonder if Mathilde throws water on his career perhaps and encourages him to quit while the quitting is good?

What do you think?

|
mmain62
2/19/2020 10:47am
I don't see him quitting this year but if he comes back and struggles, maybe he retires for 2021. After all KTM is still paying him while he is hurt.
2/19/2020 10:49am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 10:52am
I hope not. I’m not a huge Marvin fan but there is no denying the guy is a legitimate threat to win any week and is a class act all around. We need people like Marv to stick around.
Ingjr1
2/19/2020 10:51am
Not a chance. He's at the top of his game, why quit.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/19/2020 10:53am
I'd hope not, but would completely understand it if he did.

The Shop

davistld01
2/19/2020 11:14am
I hope he doesn't...but I'd imagine Marvin would be very successful in the GP's if he decided to move back to France.
2/19/2020 11:19am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 11:25am
Should I go outside today? I might get hit with a meteoroid.
Yes, of course --

The calculated risk of racing Supercross professionally -- something nearly every pro racer considers regularly, and has lead many champions to retirement... Well, that's pretty much the same as the one taken by those brave enough to go outdoors against getting hit by a meteor.
mxb2
2/19/2020 11:21am
davistld01 wrote:
I hope he doesn't...but I'd imagine Marvin would be very successful in the GP's if he decided to move back to France.
Yep, agreed. But according to the mxgp fans, tomac wd get worked. And he worked the usa series for titles. Lol.
tek14
2/19/2020 11:23am
Was thinking how much these riders can handle. Injury after another and closest people get paralyzed. One day they just have to think its enough. Tixier, Marvin, Kenny and many others have seen it all.
Watched Netflix unchained FMX movie and after riders started to die that line was crossed... I hope we will make SX little safer if we can just bit by bit and margin of error wider.
Silas444
2/19/2020 11:30am
Ingjr1 wrote:
The fact that you would pose that question with such seeming glibness, is exactly why people like me think the sport has lost it's mind. We need a revolution, we need change on a massive scale, and that whole stupid "danger, what danger?" attitude of people like you are the reason it won't happen until it's too late. Let me ask you a question: if you knew for a fact that grassroots participation in the sport would dwindle down to NOTHING unless we all quit our morbid fascination with carnage and our sophomoric pride about how wealthy the top racers become when they choose to quad-quad that gnarly rhythm section and/or charge the whoops topped out in fifth, would you try to initiate actual, measurable, change, or would you just grab a bad of popcorn and watch the show right up until the sound of the death-rattle?

I'm too old to matter, I get that, but you're too arrogant to even want to try to see what is plainly obvious. What a pity.

Make no mistake about it: the only reason the sport hasn't changed already is because the racers who've already suffered SCIs are so badass they find ways to live boldly regardless. We should not let their humbling desire to persevere blind us to the fact that there are problems that desperately need solving, and that it will either happen, or moto will go the way of ancient roman chariot races: relics of a bygone time when spectators had a blood-iust that bordered on vulgarity, and participants were paid a fortune to act as if they viewed life as having little value.
davistld01
2/19/2020 11:32am
davistld01 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Yep, agreed. But according to the mxgp fans, tomac wd get worked. And he worked the usa series for titles. Lol.
Tomac has little or no experience in the GP's...only specific events. Marvin, on the other hand...has plenty. I'm also thinking he would make a great KTM brand ambassador. He has the personality for it.
TxGuy
2/19/2020 11:36am
Should I go outside today? I might get hit with a meteoroid.
don't be an assclown.

Yes, you could get killed walking to the mailbox tomorrow. Or riding your bicycle on a trail. The question is that when you are EXTREMELY close to traumatic injuries, it can take a fraction of your motivation to push the limit. When you lose that fraction, you're in 12th place in this sport. So when you're sitting on 7 figures in your bank, a beautiful wife, a successful career...and a friend in the hospital coming to grips with possible paralyzation...do you walk away? This isn't about "going out doing what you love"...it's about making smart decisions based on what you are experiencing and risk vs. reward.
motomike137
You do have to wonder when enough is enough for these guys. It's a funny sport in that many of us pay our own hard earned money to go out on the weekends and compete. It's the craziness inside that we all share and makes racing MX a very unique sickness that cant be explained easily to people who have never done it.
TxGuy
Ingjr1 wrote:
Silas444 wrote:
The fact that you would pose that question with such seeming glibness, is exactly why people like me think the sport has lost it's mind. We...
The fact that you would pose that question with such seeming glibness, is exactly why people like me think the sport has lost it's mind. We need a revolution, we need change on a massive scale, and that whole stupid "danger, what danger?" attitude of people like you are the reason it won't happen until it's too late. Let me ask you a question: if you knew for a fact that grassroots participation in the sport would dwindle down to NOTHING unless we all quit our morbid fascination with carnage and our sophomoric pride about how wealthy the top racers become when they choose to quad-quad that gnarly rhythm section and/or charge the whoops topped out in fifth, would you try to initiate actual, measurable, change, or would you just grab a bad of popcorn and watch the show right up until the sound of the death-rattle?

I'm too old to matter, I get that, but you're too arrogant to even want to try to see what is plainly obvious. What a pity.

Make no mistake about it: the only reason the sport hasn't changed already is because the racers who've already suffered SCIs are so badass they find ways to live boldly regardless. We should not let their humbling desire to persevere blind us to the fact that there are problems that desperately need solving, and that it will either happen, or moto will go the way of ancient roman chariot races: relics of a bygone time when spectators had a blood-iust that bordered on vulgarity, and participants were paid a fortune to act as if they viewed life as having little value.
if I knew you, I'd buy you a beer. Kudos.
Silas444
2/19/2020 11:40am
TxGuy wrote:
And I'd accept it with a full heart, and we'd drink to the health of the sport we love. God save moto.
kijen
2/19/2020 11:47am
Some soliders get out, cops, fireman...a lot of people get out early when faced with traumatic circumstances, and some come back for more, completely personal decision based on emotion, financial and personality and more.

Why try to guess what an indvidual will do, seems like some are trying to justify whatever the decsion is...seems like we should just live are own lives, sure we have our own issues too.
mxb2
2/19/2020 11:52am
davistld01 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
Tomac has little or no experience in the GP's...only specific events. Marvin, on the other hand...has plenty. I'm also thinking he would make a great KTM...
Tomac has little or no experience in the GP's...only specific events. Marvin, on the other hand...has plenty. I'm also thinking he would make a great KTM brand ambassador. He has the personality for it.
I know, but its comical to think tomac, kroc,marvin would barely get a top 10.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
2/19/2020 11:56am
mxb2 wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
Tomac has little or no experience in the GP's...only specific events. Marvin, on the other hand...has plenty. I'm also thinking he would make a great KTM...
mxb2 wrote:
They're not talented enough clearly
O&GDriller
2/19/2020 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 12:04pm
Ingjr1 wrote:
Silas444 wrote:
The fact that you would pose that question with such seeming glibness, is exactly why people like me think the sport has lost it's mind. We...

Great God almighty I'm amazed. I hope the young Vital members read this post. Finally, a well written, thoughtful and intelligent post addressing the potential issue of serious injury. Something has got to change as the guys are literally risking their lives to make what on the average is a paltry living at best. The risk/reward just isn't there. The tracks can be built much safer and still provide for exciting racing without young men being crippled for life. VERY tough way to try and make a living. If I had to guess I'd say there are MAYBE 10 guys racing the premiere class who are earning enough that they'll be able to retire when they hang it up. The rest will be working everyday jobs earning a paltry wage.

I'm 59 and see that something has to change. My 29 year old son complained the other day about highlights broadcast to generate interest among the non riding public only depict crashes and carnage. He wondered out loud why they don't show highlights of the skill these guys posses instead of their horrible crashes and pain. It's
disgusting...

O&GDriller
2/19/2020 12:08pm
kijen wrote:
Some soliders get out, cops, fireman...a lot of people get out early when faced with traumatic circumstances, and some come back for more, completely personal decision...
Some soliders get out, cops, fireman...a lot of people get out early when faced with traumatic circumstances, and some come back for more, completely personal decision based on emotion, financial and personality and more.

Why try to guess what an indvidual will do, seems like some are trying to justify whatever the decsion is...seems like we should just live are own lives, sure we have our own issues too.
Most Pro riders don't have much of a choice as it's all they know. Their JOB since they've been 5 years old has been to race motorcycles. They've been home schooled and have no marketable skills outside racing dirt bikes. They're in between a rock and a hard spot. They can risk their lives/health or flip burgers. Not much of a choice...
2/19/2020 12:34pm
TxGuy wrote:
don't be an assclown. Yes, you could get killed walking to the mailbox tomorrow. Or riding your bicycle on a trail. The question is that when...
don't be an assclown.

Yes, you could get killed walking to the mailbox tomorrow. Or riding your bicycle on a trail. The question is that when you are EXTREMELY close to traumatic injuries, it can take a fraction of your motivation to push the limit. When you lose that fraction, you're in 12th place in this sport. So when you're sitting on 7 figures in your bank, a beautiful wife, a successful career...and a friend in the hospital coming to grips with possible paralyzation...do you walk away? This isn't about "going out doing what you love"...it's about making smart decisions based on what you are experiencing and risk vs. reward.
Was name calling really necessary Billy BadAss?

A man living in fear is not living is all I'm getting at.

Had a friend....he and his wife were sitting on the couch watching TV... like a light switch flipping off, she dropped dead from aneurysm. Life is a bitch and bad shit happens.
aeffertz
2/19/2020 1:22pm
Does he retire? Of course, at some point. Does he retire today/tomorrow? No, I don’t think so.

Like someone mentioned, it IS all about risk vs. reward. He himself can only look at the potential paychecks and decide if he wants to risk another season or two. He has every right to do what he wants and only he can make that choice.
2/19/2020 1:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 1:24pm
I'm betting he retires after 2021. He is 30 yrs old.
kage173
2/19/2020 1:23pm
No idea, but I don't know why you brought his wife into it. She seems as driven as he is and about as supportive as you could get.

As far as the other conversation going on about reducing the danger of the sport, I don't take it lightly, but I think you guys are way too agro on that front. The sport has ALWAYS been dangerous. That is why most of us are here. If it wasn't dangerous, we wouldn't be interested. There are a million other safe things to do for a past time, we race moto because we like going fast and we like jumping up and down.

David Bailey was paralyzed in the 80s. Dough Henry in the 90s. It's not new and it is not driving the decline of the sport. Video games and an effete society are.
tp4
2/19/2020 1:25pm
not my vote.
but...time to resign.. smart thing to do..
nothing to prove
ProKawi24
2/19/2020 1:34pm
Ingjr1 wrote:
Silas444 wrote:

TxGuy wrote:
Hell if I could walk I'd give that a standing ovation haha. Maximus! Maximus!
mxb2
2/19/2020 1:38pm
davistld01 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:
They're not talented enough clearly
Yea,okay.
peltier626
2/19/2020 1:51pm
Silas444 wrote:

AMEN. I thought I was one of the only few, but I totally share your perspective. We've gone too far and are naïve also.
cmotodad
2/19/2020 2:04pm
Maybe the reason the top guys are so talented is because an ego drives them there. Competition is a huge driving force in people that push limits. If All people followed their common sense, I think life would be very common and boring. No matter our speed or talent, something inside drives us to participate in whatever sport we find that makes our life more enjoyable. Top athletes in all sports have a more driving desire to excel. JMO. Maybe Marvin still has more ego and desire to accomplish more.
brocster
2/19/2020 2:16pm
Ingjr1 wrote:
Silas444 wrote:

O&GDriller wrote:
Great God almighty I'm amazed. I hope the young Vital members read this post. Finally, a well written, thoughtful and intelligent post addressing the potential issue...
Great God almighty I'm amazed. I hope the young Vital members read this post. Finally, a well written, thoughtful and intelligent post addressing the potential issue of serious injury. Something has got to change as the guys are literally risking their lives to make what on the average is a paltry living at best. The risk/reward just isn't there. The tracks can be built much safer and still provide for exciting racing without young men being crippled for life. VERY tough way to try and make a living. If I had to guess I'd say there are MAYBE 10 guys racing the premiere class who are earning enough that they'll be able to retire when they hang it up. The rest will be working everyday jobs earning a paltry wage.

I'm 59 and see that something has to change. My 29 year old son complained the other day about highlights broadcast to generate interest among the non riding public only depict crashes and carnage. He wondered out loud why they don't show highlights of the skill these guys posses instead of their horrible crashes and pain. It's
disgusting...

Been saying what your son said for years. If we advertise to the general population that they are “daredevils” we will continue to be a sideshow. When we decide to promote the professionalism and skill we will only then have a chance of being thought of as something more than “death defying circus clowns”

What other professional sport advertises the “dark side” as promotion on a week in week out basis??? Its pretty sad when the editing for the commercials has to make decisions on what to show or not based on the severity or the outcome of the said participant.

Post a reply to: Does Marvin retire?

The Latest