Does MEC need a change?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2017 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2017 7:32 AM

Gotta love the moment when colleagues walk by and you're changing tabs and windows to make it look like you're working. Muahahaha, A result of that is below.

With a lot of talk about the Monster Energy Cup in the "USA better send our best riders!!" thread, it got me thinking about the changes that I think could be made for this event. I was replying to a user's post on there but decided to start a new thread because I ended up typing a lot more than what I was originally responding to and I think this topic deserves it's own thread for discussion.

Disclaimer: I very much appreciate the folks who put in the time and effort to make this race possible. This post is in no way intended to attack or insult any of those who are involved in this event. This post is also not being written from a dissatisfied fan. I enjoy watching the race each year and I'm not against the race being held the way it has been in the past. With that being said, I think there are some things that could be done to spice it up a bit.

First off, I do agree that there are many advantages to rescheduling the MEC for a later date. Some of which include;

- Loosens up the schedule a bit by giving more time between Nationals, MXDN and MEC.

- Gives riders time to get use to their new teams and bikes

- Gives riders time to recover from injuries and actually have a chance to race these events

- Allows riders finish the nationals/outdoors both literally and mentally

- Gives riders time to start preparing for Supercross/MEC

- Gives riders a chance to see how they stack up against the rest of the field after all riders have had sufficient
time to get ready.

- Fans would have the chance to see how riders are doing in a supecross style event compared to the last time
we saw them, all while knowing that they have had time to prepare.

- Riders would still have a few weeks to make and get use to any changes that need to be made after their MEC
performance.

- Gives teams time to adjust to new teammates, bikes, sponsors, etc.

MEC is no doubt exciting to watch and I look forward to it every year but I really wish they would do something different with the track. I love Supercross and the technical sections that come with it but certain riders are good at Supercross and these are the riders that continue to do good at this event every year. I’m not sure what the solution would be but just like all of you, I want to see great racing but more importantly, I would like to see great racing with some new faces and more than just one or two guys up front battling for a win.

If the track was more of a hybrid with actual outdoor sections, it would be interesting to see if any other riders would be able to step it up and find better results. Some may argue that if we make the track too much like an outdoor track, then the riders who do well in outdoors are going to do well at this event but I’m not sure if that would be the case. The sections would still be much tighter and at a slower pace than outdoors while eliminating some of the more technical supercross sections that some riders are hesitant or unable to consistently do.

My point is, MEC is becoming too much of a “Supercross” event and I think they should use some different obstacles to create an actual hybrid style track that is different to what see all year.

How about a mini Larocco’s Leap that is tough for riders to get rather than a challenging rhythm section with an optional Quad that Ralph and Jeff can go nuts over? How bad ass would it be if coming out of a 90, instead of a SX triple, they used a triple leap-like step up where riders would jump up into the stands and then 180 back down into some other kind of outdoor style section. If they are able to do the start the way they did last year, then I don’t see why something like this wouldn’t be possible. At least, I think they could fit two sections into the width of what the start is while allowing some room on the outside to save riders from looping out into the stands. If it is possible, this would be a great addition to the track and it would benefit the hybrid layout by bringing in outdoor style sections with some outdoor style elevation.

How about a section that included outdoor style rollers that popped you up onto a Supercross style on off section or full rhythm section. That could almost be the definition of a Hybrid section since it incorporates both disciplines into one section.

I think slowing down the track would give for some awesome racing too. We watch 17 rounds of Supercross, 12 rounds of outdoors, the MXDN, MXGP's, Canadian nationals, etc. We also have Bercy and the other international off season Supercross events. The MEC is a perfect opportunity to do something new and unique instead of having another event that is similar to what we watch all year long..

I think the Joker lane is a cool feature but maybe do something different. I'm not sure what to do here because whether you make the Joker lane faster or slower than the race line, the outcome is still going to be the same in most cases. I know there is limited space but a split section would be cool where you can use either one on any given lap. Some of you may remember the split section from Mx Unleashed back in like 2006. It was a split start but when you completed a lap and came back down the start straight you could choose to go either left or right. Both sections were the same but you could either choose to turn left in the first 90, then right in the next 180 and then left again in the last 90, and vise versa, before the track came back together.

Anyways, I could go on and on but this is already longer than I wanted it to be and I need to keep my job so I better get back to work. Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

|

7/24/2017 7:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2017 7:37 AM

Alt+Tab bro... All about the Alt+Tab in the workplace. The moment I hear footsteps, BAM, Alt+Tab.

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

7/24/2017 7:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2017 7:41 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Alt+Tab bro... All about the Alt+Tab in the workplace. The moment I hear footsteps, BAM, Alt+Tab.

I thought I invented that, Hah. I'll one up ya. Control+Tab in Chrome changes browser tabs. Control+Shift+Tab goes backwards. You'll thank me later! Just make sure your keyboard batteries don't die on ya

|

7/24/2017 7:44 AM

The only change it needs is the date. Have it in early December or late November.

It's way too early at the moment.

|

7/24/2017 7:54 AM

I like the Monster Energy Cup, but the timing of it makes no sense anymore. It's gone from a stand alone hybrid event, to a pre-season SX event just without whoops, so having it 3 months before the season makes no sense. Anyone who's changed teams has literally only just got on the bike. Like Motofinne says, it needs to be late Nov, early December

|

7/24/2017 8:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2017 8:15 AM

midwestmoto
"I love Supercross and the technical sections that come with it but certain riders are good at Supercross and these are the riders that continue to do good at this event every year."

True statement, but if you haven't noticed, the same riders that are "good" at supercross events are also "good" at motocross events. No matter what changes you make to the track (soil, obstacles, layout), as long as they're still riding dirtbikes, the same dudes are going to be at the front. The only way you're going to drastically change the finishing order is if the riders are forced to switch to quads or horses. Same track, but with quads or horses. Maybe a combination of all three? Eight laps moto, two laps quad, finished with a dramatic one lap sprint on Mr. Ed. You're welcome, Feld.

Photo

And I agree on the time change; run it closer to the SX opener.

|