Does Kenny drop off, or does everyone else catch up?

fanger
Title kinda explains it. Does Kenny come into a season more prepared than everyone else and the late season drop off isn't actually him getting slower, rather his main competitors iron out the issues with their program later?

It doesn't seem like he has slowed down at all, seems more like Webb and tomac have hit their peak a little later.

Thoughts?
|
Motocrossjunky
Fantasy
1180th
3/23/2021 1:08am
fanger wrote:
Title kinda explains it. Does Kenny come into a season more prepared than everyone else and the late season drop off isn't actually him getting slower...
Title kinda explains it. Does Kenny come into a season more prepared than everyone else and the late season drop off isn't actually him getting slower, rather his main competitors iron out the issues with their program later?

It doesn't seem like he has slowed down at all, seems more like Webb and tomac have hit their peak a little later.

Thoughts?
Was saying exactly the same thing to a friend yesterday
CPR
3/23/2021 1:59am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2021 2:00am
Who caught up besides Webb?
chasetwo79
3/23/2021 2:10am
I actually like this take. I think Kenny comes out of the gate ahead and sharper because he’s naturally a more talented rider and it takes Webb a bit to get moving.

I don’t buy this narrative that Kenny somehow loses speed and Webb just “out races him” like everyone wants to spread. I think we have seen it 3 years in a row now where Ken has had a better start only to see Webb win more and do better on the backend. He’s getting better and his season long peak level is just higher than KR in Supercross right now.
3/23/2021 3:01am
Bit of both but the drop off is very minimal, Webb is really dialed in now, tomac is slowly getting back o form.

The Shop

OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
3/23/2021 4:40am
With that way of thinking I guess you would have to say Barcia comes in the most prepared
VRR7
3/23/2021 5:16am
Kenny drops off - Sign of Talent and less work ethic - Cooper the opposite .

In fact back in the 250 days it was the same Kenny would get out front and the race was all about could Tomac real him in before the end. This was Eli start problem not talent. Kenny is faster than Cooper but Cooper can sustain for longer which probably means he is working harder on fitness than Kenny.

As they say better to have a rider that is willing to work hard than a rider with talent that is not. Not to say Kenny does not work hard but just does not have the stamina that Webb has for what ever reason ... mostly like in fitness mental edge training. Mental edge Cooper owns Kenny !
tingo
3/23/2021 6:22am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2021 6:25am
Both of these guys are super fast and fit, neither of those are the issue. I don't think Ken has dropped off, and I also don't think it's a matter of Webb "wanting it" more. Ken undoubtedly wants to win...so does Cooper. The difference is that Webb digs deep and makes shit happen - no excuses. Whether it be running Ken wide in Daytona or putting the hammer the down in the whoops in Arlington, he usually finds a slight edge that puts him in front of Ken. It wasn't so long ago at the Houston opener that many of us (RC included - listen below) were surprised that Ken didn't pass Barcia to take the win. There is zero doubt in my mind that Webb would have made the move. It's really basic logic, but you absolutely have to pass the guys in front of you if you want to win a race or a championship. Ken isn't doing that as much as Webb despite having the speed to do so.

11:58

https://youtu.be/VVN9VByqPmU?t=719
Ted722
3/23/2021 7:03am
So many variables. Kenny took the Nationals off, he and his bike were best at the beginning of the season. Webb and his bike are at the top now.

This 3 week break benefits Kenny and Honda most and we’re in for one of the best season endings in a long time.
Tumic
3/23/2021 7:24am
I still cant loose that feeling that webb is the rider who gets it done when the other riders cant.

When it comes to race craft, Eli have proven plenty that he lacks it. If he cant rely on pure speed and railing past other riders on the outside he just struggles. In the second arlington round he rode with webb and in some turns webb hold the inside line and Eli went outside and lost time.

Okay you cant pass being in the same rut, but at least he would have kept the gap smaller and could have been close enough to pass at some other part of the track. But instead of running the same line as webb where we could see that webb were faster he continued to go outside and give up time.

When it comes to Ken he starts to remind me of Chad Reed. When he is on top and ”knows” that he can win, he wins. But as soon as a little doubt starts to grow, he loses it quick.

Coop has nothing on either Eli or Ken when both of them ride at their best, but now neither of them are and Coop makes the best of it..
ATKpilot99
3/23/2021 7:38am
When we're talking raw speed we're splitting hairs this season . The past few races Webb has been straight up faster . There's no smoke and mirrors here.
3/23/2021 7:56am
I think this is definitely how barcia comes out every year. But, I think it’s more mental / confidence with roczen. He’s let’s his rivals get into his head.
BobPA
3/23/2021 8:41am
Ken has struggled with this since his 250 days. He holds the red plate early, and things start to go downhill. He has also closed out a few championships, so what do I know.
chasetwo79
3/23/2021 12:11pm
Tumic wrote:
I still cant loose that feeling that webb is the rider who gets it done when the other riders cant. When it comes to race craft...
I still cant loose that feeling that webb is the rider who gets it done when the other riders cant.

When it comes to race craft, Eli have proven plenty that he lacks it. If he cant rely on pure speed and railing past other riders on the outside he just struggles. In the second arlington round he rode with webb and in some turns webb hold the inside line and Eli went outside and lost time.

Okay you cant pass being in the same rut, but at least he would have kept the gap smaller and could have been close enough to pass at some other part of the track. But instead of running the same line as webb where we could see that webb were faster he continued to go outside and give up time.

When it comes to Ken he starts to remind me of Chad Reed. When he is on top and ”knows” that he can win, he wins. But as soon as a little doubt starts to grow, he loses it quick.

Coop has nothing on either Eli or Ken when both of them ride at their best, but now neither of them are and Coop makes the best of it..
I don’t buy this narrative. It’s insulting to say that Cooper can’t hang with them at their best. The guy has double the amount of wins as the next guy this year. Kenny has been in the 450 class almost double the time as Cooper and yet Cooper is about to pass him on the all time wins list. You don’t get there that many times with luck and just “making it happen”.

The dude is fast and has as much speed as anyone else on a SX track. People need to start giving him credit there, regardless who wins the title this year.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
3/23/2021 12:21pm
What's the over/under on Roczen threads the next couple weeks?
ShawdowGlen
3/23/2021 12:34pm
I sure hope Kenny is reading Vital for all the much needed input he clearly requires....
3/23/2021 7:09pm
Tumic wrote:
I still cant loose that feeling that webb is the rider who gets it done when the other riders cant. When it comes to race craft...

chasetwo79 wrote:
I don’t buy this narrative. It’s insulting to say that Cooper can’t hang with them at their best. The guy has double the amount of wins...
I don’t buy this narrative. It’s insulting to say that Cooper can’t hang with them at their best. The guy has double the amount of wins as the next guy this year. Kenny has been in the 450 class almost double the time as Cooper and yet Cooper is about to pass him on the all time wins list. You don’t get there that many times with luck and just “making it happen”.

The dude is fast and has as much speed as anyone else on a SX track. People need to start giving him credit there, regardless who wins the title this year.
I agree with this comment.
My opinion of why this narrative is happening is this.
Cooper Webb “looks” slow.
Kind of like Dungey did. Just cruising around and not really hanging it out. Whereas Ken has a beautiful style that looks quick and tomac is balls to the wall.

I’ve noticed for example that when tomac or Ken are behind cooper they always appear to be catching and closing the gap. But then you look at timing and scoring and the gap may have actually grown.
I think this is due to consistency. It’s like CW has a lower all out speed, but his average speed is higher. He “flows” better.

This is a credit to cooper. Which is a lot for me to say, I’m a big tomac fan and would love to see roczen get one this year.

Anyway, just my opinion.
M1000
3/24/2021 6:14am
Webb on track for 10 wins this season. 💰💰💰💰

Post a reply to: Does Kenny drop off, or does everyone else catch up?

The Latest