Does Jgr just do too much?

Donovan759
10/12/2017 9:36am
I wonder that all the time. But at the same time, does anyone remember when JS7 came out and bad mouthed them after he got hurt and while he was still in the team and then Davi Millsaps went out got top 5 finishes like the rest of the season.
zac_k3
10/12/2017 9:39am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 9:40am
AzTrooper wrote:
I don't know how much stock one can put into the notion of JGR and their development and utilization of their in house made parts and...
I don't know how much stock one can put into the notion of JGR and their development and utilization of their in house made parts and tech being responsible for their riders injuries. I'm not knocking any of the riders in any way. They all are highly skilled and great riders but a quick look at some of these riders show that they had a lot of injuries before the joining JGR as well as after leaving the team such as Josh Grant, Davi Milsaps, JS7, Jake Weimer, and Barcia (up to the present). Now if they signed a top rider who in the past had very few injuries then started getting injured a lot after riding for them I would start thinking there might be some truth to the notion.
Again these are just my thoughts, Im just a fan and dont know anything about what goes on behind the scenes with riders and teams so this is all just purely speculation on my part.
John
James rode the supercross season with Jgr won two races, then went to shit. He dropped out of his contract with Jgr signed with yoshimura and won the first four outdoor races after not racing outdoors in three years. I know injuries take a tole but most riders come back just fine.
zac_k3
10/12/2017 9:42am
Donovan759 wrote:
I wonder that all the time. But at the same time, does anyone remember when JS7 came out and bad mouthed them after he got hurt...
I wonder that all the time. But at the same time, does anyone remember when JS7 came out and bad mouthed them after he got hurt and while he was still in the team and then Davi Millsaps went out got top 5 finishes like the rest of the season.
wasn't that the season everyone was hurt?
motoracer58
Fantasy
345th
10/12/2017 9:44am
James continued to do what he did with JGR/his whole career. He won some races and crashed. He also switched from the Yamaha which he seemed to hate to the Suzuki. I wouldn't put the blame of Yamaha's bike on the JGR team, they had to chose the OEM that would give some support. I think JGR as a team is plenty capable of winning. They just need the right rider/bike combo

The Shop

es337
10/12/2017 10:01am
James continued to do what he did with JGR/his whole career. He won some races and crashed. He also switched from the Yamaha which he seemed...
James continued to do what he did with JGR/his whole career. He won some races and crashed. He also switched from the Yamaha which he seemed to hate to the Suzuki. I wouldn't put the blame of Yamaha's bike on the JGR team, they had to chose the OEM that would give some support. I think JGR as a team is plenty capable of winning. They just need the right rider/bike combo
Or they could just buy the number 1 plate...
Harry_Gray
10/12/2017 10:15am
es337 wrote:
James outdoors 2012 if he did not crash due to the cameraman
zac_k3 wrote:
Davi millsaps, supercross 2013 if he didn't tweak his knee in a practice crash.
I thought Milsaps was on Rockstar Suzuki in 2013. I could be wrong; I'm over 40 and raising two teenagers so my memory could be crap...
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/12/2017 10:15am
500guy wrote:
The Sport needs more like JGR, The Industry will work to get rid of them. That's how it works challenge the status quo and meet heavy...
The Sport needs more like JGR, The Industry will work to get rid of them.

That's how it works challenge the status quo and meet heavy resistance.

You really think Honda wants Barcia to win this weekend ? no freaking way , that just makes The Factory Team and Geico Honda Team look bad.
Yeah, but JGR is the factory Suzuki team now, so....
zac_k3
10/12/2017 10:18am
Harry_Gray wrote:
I thought Milsaps was on Rockstar Suzuki in 2013. I could be wrong; I'm over 40 and raising two teenagers so my memory could be crap...
he was, that's what I was trying to say. sorry I wasn't more specificTongue
Harry_Gray
10/12/2017 10:18am
500guy wrote:
The Sport needs more like JGR, The Industry will work to get rid of them. That's how it works challenge the status quo and meet heavy...
The Sport needs more like JGR, The Industry will work to get rid of them.

That's how it works challenge the status quo and meet heavy resistance.

You really think Honda wants Barcia to win this weekend ? no freaking way , that just makes The Factory Team and Geico Honda Team look bad.
It could be the opposite; if he wins, he gets support from Honda (running his own program) and they get a potential race winner for cheap. Could be a win/win for both parties.
kongols
10/12/2017 10:40am
What is that rumor of Seewer to JGR? Anybody heard anything?
twotwosix
10/12/2017 10:42am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 10:43am
JGR started outside of the Factory umbrella. This isn't Nascar. You need the OEMs, you need KYB/Showa. They have learned this. In the past they have had to do it on their own without direct ties back to Japan. This year on forward will see them finally operating like a true Factory effort with Japanese support.
10/12/2017 11:08am
twotwosix wrote:
JGR started outside of the Factory umbrella. This isn't Nascar. You need the OEMs, you need KYB/Showa. They have learned this. In the past they have...
JGR started outside of the Factory umbrella. This isn't Nascar. You need the OEMs, you need KYB/Showa. They have learned this. In the past they have had to do it on their own without direct ties back to Japan. This year on forward will see them finally operating like a true Factory effort with Japanese support.
When you say they learned this? Did you know they used KYB even back in 08 - 09 ? People seem to forget that JGR had Josh Grant who did quite good tbh but Yamaha made a bike that no one was quite comfortable with? Cooper webb , Reed, even today on OEM factory backed Yamahas were not happy.

Its a fact almost every top rider disliked the Yamaha even if it was JGR or the factory. JGR just had the options to switch to their own custom forks or if they wanted the Showa or KYB they were not bounded to anyone. Its probably more the riders going through, Bike malfunctions happens to the every team ? The only thing i am curious of is that they have to go to North Carolina to do some training atleast back in the days and the inside i know people were not happy that.

Direct ties to japan came through Yamaha later on and they even had some factory parts on their bikes in 09 for supercross. The only thing is that more people from Suzuki japan will be on hand but blaming JGR equipment is odd very odd, its up to yourself to tailor the bike to your liking.

10/12/2017 11:11am
zac_k3 wrote:
From the outside looking in they make a lot of custom stuff for their bikes. linkages, shifters, pegs, peg mounts, modified subframe, and a lot more...
From the outside looking in they make a lot of custom stuff for their bikes. linkages, shifters, pegs, peg mounts, modified subframe, and a lot more. Factory teams get stuff dialed in and don't fight the bikes all season long. No one is saying they can't win it's just like for the past few years they get top riders and they go no where, whether that's the riders fault or teams who knows.
=P you dont think they test their stuff before they go racing ? They even supply some other teams with their equipment? I would seriously blame the Yamaha from 2010 til now i cant tell any top rider that actually liked that bike, and now they made the switch to Suzuki and just went full factory with a good platform with a bike they feel will fit more riders.
motoracer58
Fantasy
345th
10/12/2017 12:26pm
zac_k3 wrote:
From the outside looking in they make a lot of custom stuff for their bikes. linkages, shifters, pegs, peg mounts, modified subframe, and a lot more...
From the outside looking in they make a lot of custom stuff for their bikes. linkages, shifters, pegs, peg mounts, modified subframe, and a lot more. Factory teams get stuff dialed in and don't fight the bikes all season long. No one is saying they can't win it's just like for the past few years they get top riders and they go no where, whether that's the riders fault or teams who knows.
You know that every other team is using the same kind of parts. Pretty much everyone uses a lowered subframe, everyone uses different links and knuckles. You think JGR hasn't had success because they make their own shifters and pegs and other parts? Every team is doing that. I'm not sure i follow what you are trying to say
RonJon
10/12/2017 12:32pm
I just hope they are paying Justin a lot of money to race that out dated slug of a bike. It's going to be hard when his bike is 5hp down from everybody else.
Markopolo400
10/12/2017 12:52pm
Do you really think JGR has more capabilities than the Factory - OEM Race teams? (Not counting 2018 Suzuki)
zac_k3
10/12/2017 7:47pm
zac_k3 wrote:
=P you dont think they test their stuff before they go racing ? They even supply some other teams with their equipment? I would seriously blame...
=P you dont think they test their stuff before they go racing ? They even supply some other teams with their equipment? I would seriously blame the Yamaha from 2010 til now i cant tell any top rider that actually liked that bike, and now they made the switch to Suzuki and just went full factory with a good platform with a bike they feel will fit more riders.
I know they do a lot of testing but it just seems that they're always changing stuff on the bikes at anytime of the season.
zac_k3
10/12/2017 7:55pm
You know that every other team is using the same kind of parts. Pretty much everyone uses a lowered subframe, everyone uses different links and knuckles...
You know that every other team is using the same kind of parts. Pretty much everyone uses a lowered subframe, everyone uses different links and knuckles. You think JGR hasn't had success because they make their own shifters and pegs and other parts? Every team is doing that. I'm not sure i follow what you are trying to say
I know every team has it's own trick parts but just watch the video of the tour of the shop, their bikes are Frankensteined together, I think they said they make their own ignitions, and other stuff along those lines. Maybe other teams do that but I just don't see factory kawi doing stuff like that unless someone from kawi does it and hell, maybe someone does it for Jgr from Suzuki to work with their bikes we really don't know. All I was asking when i stated the discussion is after hearing Barcia say that and looking at their history and rider injuries are they the problem.
aroark247
10/13/2017 7:59am
RonJon wrote:
I just hope they are paying Justin a lot of money to race that out dated slug of a bike. It's going to be hard when...
I just hope they are paying Justin a lot of money to race that out dated slug of a bike. It's going to be hard when his bike is 5hp down from everybody else.
Who are you talking about Justin Barcia with Suzuki? Or are you saying Justin Bogle riding the Suzuki? I'm lost with your comment. Are you saying the Suzuki is the slug? because I know YZF's and CRF's aren't slugs. And I know Barcia is not getting paid to ride anything right now.
twotwosix
10/13/2017 10:33am

https://motocrossactionmag.com/justin-hill-talks-about-his-2017-season-…

I DON’T KNOW IF YOU CAN COMMENT, BUT MANY THOUGHT THAT IF YOU WON A SUPERCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP, AS YOU DID, THAT YOU WOULD AUTOMATICALLY MOVE UP TO THE MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI 450 TEAM FOR 2018.
Honestly, I will just tell you the truth, and tell you what I know. What I know is that I would have assumed that this is what I would have shot for. If I am the boss there, I am not letting me go, but that is just me personally. That is what I would have done, not biased to myself. I was a little bit surprised. I would not say that it was ever guaranteed, or that I would say they owed me anything. I have a pretty deep history with Kawasaki, but I also have a pretty deep history with Suzuki. I rode them even before Kawasaki, so either way that it ended up it was going to be okay. I was going to put in 100% either way, but this is the way that I wanted it to happen. Maybe they did not feel like they needed to try hard enough to keep me, or maybe they felt like I was not the ticket or whatever it was. Honestly, it makes no difference to me, because I am where I want to be.

IT HAS TO BE KIND OF DIFFICULT GOING YEAR BY YEAR WITH YOUR CONTRACTS?
Oh, it is. Honestly, this past year was the first time I had signed a single-year deal, and I did not like it. I was definitely unhappy with the terms. You settle into a team and you get going. You want to go “Okay, we got two years, let’s get into this.” You have less to worry about. You have a little bit of job security where you feel that you can ease into it, because if its only one year, it can be very dangerous for what we do. With that being said, with my one-year deal for 2017, I came in as soon as I started riding that bike. I was thinking, “I’ve got to get to it; I am going to start riding.” Then one of the first days I broke my shoulder just rushing into the whole thing, over something that there was no way that I should have crashed on; It was just a tiny thing. It should not have happened, but you can never blame that crash. It is not preventable but I attribute a bit of the percentage to the fact that it was a one-year deal, and I was very anxious to get going. I wanted to make sure that I was on par because I had my sights set on that championship far before that injury. Now with having a two-year deal and having a little security, I am taking a deep breath. I am going to ease into this, and get ready for the season the way it should be gotten ready for. You do it as it comes and you cannot force it. You got to just do what you got to do, and get your pace in and then move into the more intense stuff, and not peak early. I know how to do it, and I felt like I was rushing myself, is my point.

SUZUKI HAS BEEN ABSENT IN THE RESULTS FROM THE 250 CLASS FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS.
I rode the bike today and I really like it. It is definitely the classic Suzuki, and nothing different than what I remember riding before. I rode the same bike in 2010, when the fuel injection 250 came out. That was the first bike I rode, and it is pretty much the same as far as the feel of the bike. Obviously, there are major engine differences, and major chassis differences from what the team had done before. Suzuki has done a lot along the way, but it has a very similar feel, and I have to be honest with you, it feels just like home. The turning, the handling, and they have some great power now, so I have zero worries about the bike itself. I am working specifically with some of the smartest people out there in this sport. Actually not only this sport, but others as well, so I have a lot of confidence in what we are doing.

THE JGR GUYS WANT TO WIN DON’T THEY?
Absolutely, and the main thing is their commitment to the 250’s. They are just not getting their feet wet with this team. Their priority is trying to give me a bike that I can retain a title on, and I am very pleased with my initial feeling towards that. They are not going to be behind at all.

YOU ARE A DEFENDING 250 SUPERCROSS CHAMPION, AND ARE NOT GOING TO WANT TO SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS.
Right, in my opinion one of the worst things is if you win it, and then you cannot hold onto it. I intend to hold onto it, and as I get older and I go through more things, I realize how difficult it is, and how hard it is for those things to fall into place. I am just going to do exactly what I did this year in Supercross and give it my all, and that is all I can do. That is all that they ask of me, and honestly for the first time in my life, I probably had the most motivation to really be what the team wants me to be. They want me to be just the best of myself, so I know what they expect, and hopefully they are happy with what we get.

TALK ABOUT THE OUTDOORS THIS YEAR, YOU HAD A COUPLE FLASHES OF BRILLIANCE, BUT FOR THE MOST PART WERE BACK IN THE PACK.
I struggled the worst ever in the outdoors over this summer. Even my rookie season, I had more top tens, and more good races. I have had a motocross podium and have been very close to a podium a lot of times. Honestly, I can do both indoors and outdoors. Supercross comes very, very easy to me, I get on the bike and it feels like I am supposed to do that. Outdoors, I get on the bike and I am like “shoot, I got to work at this”, and that is the main difference. After a lot of success with Supercross, I did not have the motivation that I needed, and that was a huge mistake. I now know that now. I definitely have reflected on that a lot because as of right now, we are doing both series. There might be a time in the future were we don’t. There might be a time in the future where it is only one or the other. But until that day, you have to split up your efforts, and I did not do that effectively this year. I did not save myself economically. I just put it all on the line and when Vegas was over and I had the number one plate for a few weeks, I was just like “we are good, we really don’t have to do that much,” and that is the wrong attitude. I don’t care what ends up in Supercross. I don’t care if I win it by 1,000 points, or if I lose it. It does not matter; the result is still going to be the same. I am going to put in the effort for outdoors, and work on any other things that hindered my finishes. Mainly, I was fighting my location a lot. I did not like being in California and Mitch and I kept going back and forth on it. In his mind he wanted to let me go out East, and try to find some better tracks, but then I think what stopped him from having me do it was he did not feel there was a sufficient plan. For whatever reason, he did not feel that I needed to leave California, and in hindsight I felt like that was a mistake. I should have pressed him a lot harder for that early on. It took the wind out of my sails, because I felt “Shoot, I have to do this whole season from California again.” But it is not an excuse. I had three minor injuries that just piled up and my body was hurting. And I took a couple of weeks off in the middle of the series, and then a couple again, so it was not good. It was a lot of scattered messy stuff going on. It is not what I wanted to do and I don’t plan on having it be a cluster like that. I really want to get to it and make sure that I am competitive because the Suzuki in particular handles extremely well outdoors, and I don’t think that there is any reason why I can’t really do something on it.
10/13/2017 10:53am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 10:58am
Barcia is gonna find out how tough it is to make a privateer bike hold together for sx if he keeps his program going.

JGR mx sadly isn't applying all their cup experience to moto... its too costly to actually do the R&D for say a valve train for he mx shop to employ the cup shop... so the mx division relies on their vendors to supply good parts. JGR outsources a lot of their valve train... and behind the scenes on that it's just trial and error for springs, rates, installed preload etc. plus the manufacturing side is tough... valve springs and rods imho are the two hardest parts to make reliable. The transmissions are a challenge too..but I'll bet when they were Yamaha they had factory trannies that Yamaha engineering does the actual engineering on.
Same with Suzuki...I bet they were allowed to purchase trannies.

People don't realize how challenging valve control, spring reliability, and all that's is to accomplish. generally (but not always aka kx250f) the oem valve springs and combo with the cam profile have ten times the R&D aftermarket spring kits and cams have. Most aftermarket kits are just stiffer springs with lightweight ti retainers... with springs that are made to less stringent standards than oem. Hell, in NASCAR a spring supplier that started up literally changed the game in reliability and performance but the process to do so was incredibly hard to develop.. let alone repeat spring after spring which makes it a unique challenge.

When "pushing" a motor to its limits... people don't usually realize that most the stress is put on via higher rpm... not mods to power or how to get the power. The second challenge is heat at the pro level...the concept of more power and cooler running engine is just a myth unless someone has solved what no car manufacturer can. Power IS heat... that's how we convert the fuel into power. So often this provides a huge challenge for any team in outdoors.
10/13/2017 11:15am
Barcia is gonna find out how tough it is to make a privateer bike hold together for sx if he keeps his program going. JGR mx...
Barcia is gonna find out how tough it is to make a privateer bike hold together for sx if he keeps his program going.

JGR mx sadly isn't applying all their cup experience to moto... its too costly to actually do the R&D for say a valve train for he mx shop to employ the cup shop... so the mx division relies on their vendors to supply good parts. JGR outsources a lot of their valve train... and behind the scenes on that it's just trial and error for springs, rates, installed preload etc. plus the manufacturing side is tough... valve springs and rods imho are the two hardest parts to make reliable. The transmissions are a challenge too..but I'll bet when they were Yamaha they had factory trannies that Yamaha engineering does the actual engineering on.
Same with Suzuki...I bet they were allowed to purchase trannies.

People don't realize how challenging valve control, spring reliability, and all that's is to accomplish. generally (but not always aka kx250f) the oem valve springs and combo with the cam profile have ten times the R&D aftermarket spring kits and cams have. Most aftermarket kits are just stiffer springs with lightweight ti retainers... with springs that are made to less stringent standards than oem. Hell, in NASCAR a spring supplier that started up literally changed the game in reliability and performance but the process to do so was incredibly hard to develop.. let alone repeat spring after spring which makes it a unique challenge.

When "pushing" a motor to its limits... people don't usually realize that most the stress is put on via higher rpm... not mods to power or how to get the power. The second challenge is heat at the pro level...the concept of more power and cooler running engine is just a myth unless someone has solved what no car manufacturer can. Power IS heat... that's how we convert the fuel into power. So often this provides a huge challenge for any team in outdoors.
I would love to hear Jeremy Albrechts opinion about this particular post. Think i have to ask him,
10/13/2017 11:35am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 12:15pm
aroark247 wrote:
Who are you talking about Justin Barcia with Suzuki? Or are you saying Justin Bogle riding the Suzuki? I'm lost with your comment. Are you saying...
Who are you talking about Justin Barcia with Suzuki? Or are you saying Justin Bogle riding the Suzuki? I'm lost with your comment. Are you saying the Suzuki is the slug? because I know YZF's and CRF's aren't slugs. And I know Barcia is not getting paid to ride anything right now.
I imagine he means Hill on the RMZ250F. That bike is down quite a bit stock on power everywhere, and in a class where every last HP counts.
500guy
10/13/2017 11:40am
I would love to hear Jeremy Albrechts opinion about this particular post. Think i have to ask him,
Never argue with a guy with a dyno chart as an avatar Also S. Cox aka Nerd
philG
10/13/2017 11:50am
500guy wrote:
Never argue with a guy with a dyno chart as an avatar Also S. Cox aka Nerd
LOL

Valve control is everything, in NASCAR its a huge deal because the dumb bastards still use a 2 valve head , so they are huge ..

Moto3 will run for ever cos they are rev limited so its a non issue.

drt410
10/13/2017 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 3:51pm
Im pretty sure if Barcia won Honda would be extremely happy that he goes from factory JGR and hops on a privateer "Barcia Racing" CRF 450 and wins the MEC... That would show why this bike is winning the shootouts and people love it. Was that a serious statement lol?
zac_k3
10/13/2017 4:13pm
I honestly don't see Justin hill doing much at Jgr.
MX-LIFE.
10/13/2017 5:36pm
Maybe they should hire JS7 back because he was doing really Well on Suzuki! Let him ride for a industry standard salary for top 10 450riders what ever that is and let him bring all his personal sponsors that I'm sure will pitch in a few $$ and give a nice per race win bonus and championship bonus! JS7 and his old mechanic at the wrenches may pay dividends hell and why I'm dreaming let Larry Brooks come back and be team manager!
mxjon454
10/13/2017 11:58pm
zac_k3 wrote:
Hill will do good in supercross, maybe even successfully defend the title of JGR can get the bike up there with the others. Outdoors he will do the same thing he did this year. I can even see him having a crap year outdoors and JGR throwing him on a 450 midway through. IMO Hill just doesnt have the drive with outdoors because it doesnt come easy like supercross does for him. Hes never had a solid outdoor season since he went pro. Hes just like his older brother, relies on his talent and doesnt work as hard as he should IMO.
andyman
10/14/2017 2:41am
zac_k3 wrote:
I kinda think that its interesting to see him on JGR 250. For the JGR 450 championship hopes it's not good move.

Post a reply to: Does Jgr just do too much?

The Latest