Does Cole Seely lack that killer instinct?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2018 8:25 AM

“I’m obviously frustrated because I want to be further up there and on the podium, but tonight was the hardest-fought fifth I’ve ever had to work for. I think I rode a lot better than the result shows. I was also happy with how I managed the race, my energy, and effort. I came from seventh and had to battle with riders on the way up, then [Jason] Anderson was charging and we battled back and forth a bit until he got by. Then I went straight back to being pressured by [Cooper] Webb until the end. I laid it all out there, especially on that last lap because I knew Cooper was behind me and was going to try and stick a wheel in anywhere he could; I was just trying to ride defensive but still be fast. It was a hectic night of racing so I’m happy to get out of here uninjured. We did a lot of work to the bike this week, even though it’s risky because things are pretty different when you show up to the race versus the test track, but I was pretty confident in what we had found. I’m happy to take a step in the right direction. It feels validating that we made a good change, and I have a good direction to work in and fine-tune.”

Just read this quote from Cole and it seems so contradictory. Starts with how "frustrated" he is not to be on the podium but then goes directly into everything he was happy about from the race. I understand it is important to stay positive and look at the good, but dammm Daniel, show some freaking emotion and get fired up!!

Does Cole lack that killer instinct it takes to win races? It sure seems like it. Think about all of the greats and how absolutely pissed they would be anytime they missed a podium. You just don't see that mentality out of Cole (and most of the other riders right now) and honestly it is pretty aggravating that he doesn't get more fired up and hang it out there. He has the speed 100%, but there is always some excuse, some reason as to why he didn't get the win/podium but always happy with what he did on that night.

If you are a Honda boss, how do you change that mentality? How do you manage a rider that can always find things to be happy about when you know they should be on the podium consistently?
|

2/21/2018 8:26 AM

Yes.

|

2/21/2018 11:05 AM

Cole has been getting great starts, I dont think he has the raw speed or 'race aggression' that others have....I am pretty sure he has the killer instinct though. I still think he will get a win or two this year.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

2/21/2018 11:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 11:41 AM

Let’s just say...Honda has the ultimate #2 team rider in Cole.

|

2/21/2018 11:45 AM

You mean the instinct that allows you to make it through a full season without crashing your brains out?

|

2/21/2018 11:47 AM

Everybody said Dungey didn't have it either. Remember him?

Now, Cole is no RD5 for sure. But, Cole is riding smart, staying healthy and playing a long game. May not work out, but if it does, the "killer instinct" is once again irrelevant.

|

2/21/2018 11:52 AM

Cole should be about 5th or 6th in the points by now, and yet he's in 2nd. I'd say the race craft he is displaying is working for him.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

2/21/2018 11:53 AM

I think he's riding smart. But fuck I'd like to see him put Anderson 12 rows back. That's my wish for this season

|

2/21/2018 11:53 AM

I saw him threaten a guy with a trident!

|

2/21/2018 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 12:08 PM

I don't think he lacks it – just too timid to use it.

I get the "playing it safe / riding smart" side of it but to do this you have to be landing on the podium nearly ever week... ask Dungey, he showed a phenomenal mix of riding aggressive enough to get results but smart enough not to over due it.

|

2/21/2018 12:36 PM

I watched seely peick an others at milestone. Seely was like a surgeon around the sx track. Then there's peick. Damn tank rearranging berms and jumps.

|

2/21/2018 12:37 PM

No.coles issues id last quarter of race ,has not got the endurance to put down fast laps at end of races ...

|

2/21/2018 12:39 PM

mxtech1 wrote: “I’m obviously frustrated because I want to be further up there and on the podium, but tonight was the hardest-fought fifth I’ve ever had to work for. I think I rode a lot better than the result shows. I was also happy with how I managed the race, my energy, and effort. I came from seventh and had to battle with riders on the way up, then [Jason] Anderson was charging and we battled back and forth a bit until he got by. Then I went straight back to being pressured by [Cooper] Webb until the end. I laid it all out there, especially on that last lap because I knew Cooper was behind me and was going to try and stick a wheel in anywhere he could; I was just trying to ride defensive but still be fast. It was a hectic night of racing so I’m happy to get out of here uninjured. We did a lot of work to the bike this week, even though it’s risky because things are pretty different when you show up to the race versus the test track, but I was pretty confident in what we had found. I’m happy to take a step in the right direction. It feels validating that we made a good change, and I have a good direction to work in and fine-tune.”

Just read this quote from Cole and it seems so contradictory. Starts with how "frustrated" he is not to be on the podium but then goes directly into everything he was happy about from the race. I understand it is important to stay positive and look at the good, but dammm Daniel, show some freaking emotion and get fired up!!

Does Cole lack that killer instinct it takes to win races? It sure seems like it. Think about all of the greats and how absolutely pissed they would be anytime they missed a podium. You just don't see that mentality out of Cole (and most of the other riders right now) and honestly it is pretty aggravating that he doesn't get more fired up and hang it out there. He has the speed 100%, but there is always some excuse, some reason as to why he didn't get the win/podium but always happy with what he did on that night.

If you are a Honda boss, how do you change that mentality? How do you manage a rider that can always find things to be happy about when you know they should be on the podium consistently?

Seely is an amazing rider to watch. I think his approach to this season is working out alright for him.

If he wants to beat someone like Anderson or Tomac he needs to assert his dominance. He needs to get a solid start and lay down perfect laps to get a gap on those guys. Once they catch him rather than bobbling and loosing a few seconds he needs to fire back. Take them right to the edge of the track to throw them off. Then throw down those perfect laps again.

I don't see Cole being a rider that can decide one night to dial up the speed and intensity. Without changing his bike setup and riding style he needs to be who he is.

A rider like Tomac and Anderson rides with pure aggression. The scary thing with Anderson is that his style is pretty damn fluid and versatile. He seems to make the best of any situation he gets into. That said, he does appear to be riding without consequence. Supercross seems to humble those that ride without consequence.

I really believe we have yet to see Anderson's bad night. Give him a few more races and it may not matter. His points lead is pretty insane. But I don't see him settling in for a 2nd if he gets out front and starts battling with Tomac.

|

2/21/2018 12:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 1:41 PM

Yes. He lacks "killer instinct", mental toughness, ability to regroup when he faces a challenge or what ever you want to call it.

Cole can holeshot a race and lead half of it and everything seems fine. He is such a smooth rider and very fast when he is able to put in lap after lap without any distractions. But there is an issue. He completely falls apart anytime he gets passed or makes a mistake. I don't think that i have ever seen him get passed and the actually retake that position and finish with that position.

We've seen it so many times. It has to be frustrating but that is his biggest weakness.

|

2/21/2018 1:37 PM

Not IMO.. Doesn't have "it".

|

2/21/2018 1:41 PM

AHRMA361 wrote:

Everybody said Dungey didn't have it either. Remember him?

Now, Cole is no RD5 for sure. But, Cole is riding smart, staying healthy and playing a long game. May not work out, but if it does, the "killer instinct" is once again irrelevant.

Dungey was still able to run with tomac, roczen and musquin every week. They are nothing alike. Dungey had how many SX and MX championships by the time he was 27.

I like Cole, but point is you can't compare the two. They are nothing alike.

|

2/21/2018 1:46 PM

I don't think it's a matter of Cole not getting or being aggressive. He finds himself in some pretty good battles here and there. What I have noticed over the years is that he tends to be the one that succumbs to the battle first. Sometimes it's obvious he just got beat, other times it's just weird and I'm at a loss to see how Cole didn't get the upper hand. Great to watch him race!

|

2/21/2018 1:47 PM

Cole seems like a nice guy. Nice guys.....win less than guys who don't give a fuck who they piss off, like Jason Anderson.

|

2/21/2018 1:49 PM

Mr. Rogers of SX ...

Not that it's a bad thing.

|

2/21/2018 1:55 PM

Motofinne wrote:

Yes. He lacks "killer instinct", mental toughness, ability to regroup when he faces a challenge or what ever you want to call it.

Cole can holeshot a race and lead half of it and everything seems fine. He is such a smooth rider and very fast when he is able to put in lap after lap without any distractions. But there is an issue. He completely falls apart anytime he gets passed or makes a mistake. I don't think that i have ever seen him get passed and the actually retake that position and finish with that position.

We've seen it so many times. It has to be frustrating but that is his biggest weakness.

That was absolutely spot on.

Seely only needs to believe it. He's one of the most skilled riders out there but he races like he doesn't believe he is good enough.

If he believes it and surpasses his mental weaknesses he can be a champion.

|

2/21/2018 2:47 PM

Motofinne wrote:

Yes. He lacks "killer instinct", mental toughness, ability to regroup when he faces a challenge or what ever you want to call it.

Cole can holeshot a race and lead half of it and everything seems fine. He is such a smooth rider and very fast when he is able to put in lap after lap without any distractions. But there is an issue. He completely falls apart anytime he gets passed or makes a mistake. I don't think that i have ever seen him get passed and the actually retake that position and finish with that position.

We've seen it so many times. It has to be frustrating but that is his biggest weakness.

Great points, spot on.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

2/21/2018 3:04 PM

mxtech1 wrote: “I’m obviously frustrated because I want to be further up there and on the podium, but tonight was the hardest-fought fifth I’ve ever had to work for. I think I rode a lot better than the result shows. I was also happy with how I managed the race, my energy, and effort. I came from seventh and had to battle with riders on the way up, then [Jason] Anderson was charging and we battled back and forth a bit until he got by. Then I went straight back to being pressured by [Cooper] Webb until the end. I laid it all out there, especially on that last lap because I knew Cooper was behind me and was going to try and stick a wheel in anywhere he could; I was just trying to ride defensive but still be fast. It was a hectic night of racing so I’m happy to get out of here uninjured. We did a lot of work to the bike this week, even though it’s risky because things are pretty different when you show up to the race versus the test track, but I was pretty confident in what we had found. I’m happy to take a step in the right direction. It feels validating that we made a good change, and I have a good direction to work in and fine-tune.”

Just read this quote from Cole and it seems so contradictory. Starts with how "frustrated" he is not to be on the podium but then goes directly into everything he was happy about from the race. I understand it is important to stay positive and look at the good, but dammm Daniel, show some freaking emotion and get fired up!!

Does Cole lack that killer instinct it takes to win races? It sure seems like it. Think about all of the greats and how absolutely pissed they would be anytime they missed a podium. You just don't see that mentality out of Cole (and most of the other riders right now) and honestly it is pretty aggravating that he doesn't get more fired up and hang it out there. He has the speed 100%, but there is always some excuse, some reason as to why he didn't get the win/podium but always happy with what he did on that night.

If you are a Honda boss, how do you change that mentality? How do you manage a rider that can always find things to be happy about when you know they should be on the podium consistently?

Mentally not strong enough, he's working on it I'm sure

|

2/21/2018 4:35 PM

Seely needs more aggression, riders know if someone like Anderson is behind them and they leave the door open at all then Anderson will go for it, and even if there isn’t any room Anderson will normally make some

|

2/21/2018 4:48 PM

Cole Seely is the greatest thing since slice bread.

|

#SeelyNation
Twitter @JaridSavoy

2/21/2018 5:01 PM

I think there is a bit of aggression lacking, but looking at Oakland and especially San Diego where he's been in podium spots but eaten up, there must be a speed and/or fitness problem as well. No one likes to point fingers, but he is rarely a guy moving forward in the 2nd half of races. So that could be mental, or it could be fitness. I think there is also a comfort factor, he's really fast when he can thrown down smooth laps but little things throw him out of rhythm way more than say Anderson, who if he gets loose just rights the ship and keeps charging. Those close moments affect Cole more. DV pointed this out in his Pulp column after Oakland.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

2/21/2018 6:37 PM

Jarid332 wrote:

Cole Seely is the greatest thing since slice bread.

hehehehe *thumbsup*

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

2/21/2018 7:32 PM

It seems like he is about 10 places ahead of where he ever thought he would finish in a race, now it seems like he wants more!

|

2/21/2018 9:18 PM

No he lacks the fitness to finish up front in a main event. He has history of fading, not a lack of killer instinct. He just doesn't have what it takes to beat the best to the end of a main.

|

2/21/2018 10:03 PM

bartziokas123 wrote:

No he lacks the fitness to finish up front in a main event. He has history of fading, not a lack of killer instinct. He just doesn't have what it takes to beat the best to the end of a main.

fitness isn't the issue, go check the lap times, hes as fast at the end as the start...gotta me mental and that can be fixed!!

|

2/21/2018 10:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 10:35 PM

It's hard to watch sometimes.sad
Photo

|