Does A-Stars

es337
Actually have the only airbag in development for mx?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/15/2017 4:10pm
Where was this 8 years ago when I needed it?

Really cool to see a company stepping things up in the safety department.
Spooner
9/15/2017 7:00pm
Wow didn’t know they were this far along on the mx version. I’ve worn the street one when they set it off for a demonstration and it’s insane!
Calihusky
9/15/2017 10:08pm
If it works as well as it seems I will definitely line up to buy this. It looks like this will be the trend in extreme sports as it's already in MotoGP and skiing.

The Shop

mx510
Fantasy
1707th
9/16/2017 7:34am
That is awesome. I am really curious how the deployment works.
Zaugg
9/16/2017 7:41am
Dainese was first to bring this tech to market a couple years ago and have proceeded to take Alpinestars to court for patent infringement. Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.

HenryA
9/16/2017 8:15am
This is the kind of stuff that really makes me want to support their company and buy their products.
Spooner
9/16/2017 12:39pm
Zaugg wrote:
Dainese was first to bring this tech to market a couple years ago and have proceeded to take Alpinestars to court for patent infringement. Should be...
Dainese was first to bring this tech to market a couple years ago and have proceeded to take Alpinestars to court for patent infringement. Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Dainese are idiots because astars was working on this far before they were and their system works completely different. The D-air has way less coverage and the way it goes off is much lower tech than tech-air.
mxjon454
9/16/2017 1:44pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

What happened to you if you dont mind me asking?
bvm111
9/16/2017 2:05pm
HenryA wrote:
This is the kind of stuff that really makes me want to support their company and buy their products.
I was just thinking the same thing!

If only I could get my big ass wide feet into Tech 10s!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/16/2017 3:29pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

mxjon454 wrote:
What happened to you if you dont mind me asking?
Paralyzed from T5-T6 down from an MX crash. The way it happened, I'm positive I'd still be up and walking if that product was on the market back in 2009.

I don't think it's going to save everyone from catastrophic injuries but in my case it most likely would have.

I always rode with as much safety equipment as I could. Everything but elbow/wrist guards and neck brace since I don't think they were on the market back then. It's a safe bet I would of worn this A-Stars device.
fcr
9/16/2017 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 3:49pm
I don't see how this will help, maybe better than nothing. I just don't see how it will help spinal injuries. Maverick sorry to hear you had that happen.
Many accidents in moto are throwing an unprotected object into twisting situations. The concept will help maybe, but I just don't see it being that protective. I hope I'm wrong.
jrrundle
9/16/2017 4:00pm
fcr wrote:
I don't see how this will help, maybe better than nothing. I just don't see how it will help spinal injuries. Maverick sorry to hear you...
I don't see how this will help, maybe better than nothing. I just don't see how it will help spinal injuries. Maverick sorry to hear you had that happen.
Many accidents in moto are throwing an unprotected object into twisting situations. The concept will help maybe, but I just don't see it being that protective. I hope I'm wrong.
Maybe this first iteration won't help drastically, but is at least another form of protection. I'm sure as they test and develop it, it will get better and better. This is essentially a starting point.

It's cool to see something like this and 6D really driving preventive protection. I can't think of any other sport out there that puts so much effort into protecting their athletes.

aeffertz
9/16/2017 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 4:05pm
fcr wrote:
I don't see how this will help, maybe better than nothing. I just don't see how it will help spinal injuries. Maverick sorry to hear you...
A major factor in moto is the bike coming around and tackling you. My brother, and I'm sure many others, have broken their bike simply from the bike crushing them drumming the crash. Something like these seems like it would help out a lot there.

Of course this isn't a miracle maker and isn't going to prevent every injury but to say it's "maybe better then nothing" is total rubbish. Have you ever broken a rib? This seems like it'd really help with that. 100% positive it's better than a standard roost deflector, let alone nothing. Backwards thinking.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/16/2017 4:13pm
fcr wrote:
This would be a lot more protective than a hard plastic shell chest protector.

I was wearing a hard plastic one when my injury happened. There's a reason they are called roost deflector. They help prevent bruises from hard dirt, rocks, someone's peg in a first turn pileup, etc. and similar things like that. They are definitely not design to protect you from sustaining a serious injury.

Like I mentioned in my case the A-Stars device would of more than likely saved me from sustaining a SCI. Reason being that in order to sustain a SCI a certain amount of force/pressure needs to be applied to the spine for it to happen. In my accident I went over the bars and landed on my chest/sternum. I hit the ground with enough force to break my T5 and shatter my T6 vertebrae. It wasn't a high speed crash. Had I been wearing the A-Stars device I firmly believe that it would of dramatically reduced the forced that was applied to my chest/sternum area to the point that I would of been really sore but I'm pretty sure I would of walked away from it.

This device won't stop SCI and other serious injuries from happening but it will help reduce the amount of injuries. Every accident is different. It most likely would of worked for me but it doesn't mean it would of worked for the other guys on here that are living with a SCI.

Post a reply to: Does A-Stars

The Latest