Do you think a Top American will ever go to the GP's?

SWOHIO GUY
Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 10:37pm
I know Villopoto did it towards the end of his career, and covington and Osbourne have done it. But will there ever be a top shelf American talent that dedicates himself fulltime to the GP's?
|
10/9/2018 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 12:24pm
nope ... would be awesome to see , but wont happen .. maybe Barcia in a few years ?

ahh sorry , you meant a young talent coming over ? there are some in EMX and MX2 .
SWOHIO GUY
10/9/2018 12:26pm
nope ... would be awesome to see , but wont happen .. maybe Barcia in a few years ? ahh sorry , you meant a young...
nope ... would be awesome to see , but wont happen .. maybe Barcia in a few years ?

ahh sorry , you meant a young talent coming over ? there are some in EMX and MX2 .
Barcia in a few years will be far from a top shelf talent. I am talking a Tomac, a 2010 Villopoto, a 2012 Dungey. Someone who is at the top of there game going over to the GP's.
bradmx421
10/9/2018 12:30pm
Not going to happen...ever. In America, people view Supercross as the top of the sport. We all grow up with the dream of racing in the stadiums. I don't ever see an american in their prime wanting to leave when so many want to come here.....even if we are slower outdoors...lol
Frank
10/9/2018 12:34pm
As much as it hurts me to say this.............I would prefer the US Nationals go away and riders focus on only 1 discipline. FIM SX only or FIM MXGP only.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
10/9/2018 12:36pm
It could happen if the factories wanted it to.
keinz
10/9/2018 12:41pm
No
10/9/2018 12:48pm
Frank wrote:
As much as it hurts me to say this.............I would prefer the US Nationals go away and riders focus on only 1 discipline. FIM SX only...
As much as it hurts me to say this.............I would prefer the US Nationals go away and riders focus on only 1 discipline. FIM SX only or FIM MXGP only.
What about a 25 round hybrid series? 8-10 rounds on tracks like Daytona and the rest on outdoor tracks. Make it a real world championship with both mxgp and ama riders. With the us nationals and a euro championship as the feeder series.

I bet Luongo would love that idea! Haha
FuzzyLogic
10/9/2018 12:57pm
Frank wrote:
As much as it hurts me to say this.............I would prefer the US Nationals go away and riders focus on only 1 discipline. FIM SX only...
I hate this idea, primarily the US Nationals going away....but you may not be far off.

That said, I think it is a more likely scenario than having a top US guy leave to go race the GP's.

MotoMo165
10/9/2018 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 1:10pm
Frank wrote:
I’ve been thinking this for a while. How sick would it be if the MXGP nationals held at least 5 races in the states, and SX became 20 rounds (or whatever they want to do with it) then when kids come out of AMs they choose which discipline they want to race. Maybe do mxgp series for a year then jump SX only. Maybe even make SX for 450s only, cutting down on TV slot time, fixing the current problem of top 250 guys making way more money than top 450 guys, and create more 450 rides.
We’d still have some outdoor motocross races in the country, FIM would get more SX races, but FIM would own it all and no more mx sports/ AMA so that would suck Sad

But this isn’t a perfect world. That would be incredible imo
lestat
10/9/2018 1:20pm
Frank wrote:
That’s what will happen when SX goes global .
10/9/2018 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 1:25pm
They should at minimum have 3 "US Nationals" combined with the MXGP events each year.

One in the US at a standard track, one in Mexico, one in Europe.

Call it the combined series, and have a mini champion each year for whoever does the best over those 3 races.

In addition, the points paid out still count towards each series overall championship.
a22
10/9/2018 1:32pm
Brad Lackey and Danny La Porte didn't do a bad job when they did it (and won the titles)!

Guess though you are referring more to the future though!
Hope they do though in the future and also the GP guys getting over your way also- mixing it up has to be a goodthing!
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
10/9/2018 1:40pm
early wrote:
It could happen if the factories wanted it to.
You misspelled energy drink sponsors
Fonzarelli
10/9/2018 1:44pm
I hope I am dead before the Nationals go away. But combining MXGP with the Nationals would be cool. Have like 4 U.S. rounds as part of what would be the real, undisputable, outdoor chsmpionship.
a22
10/9/2018 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 2:01pm
Just out of interest, what Americans have done it in the past and did good or won?

Just thought of Trampas Parker and Donny Schimt- very cool riders- just used to love watching Donny rip it up!

** added- Billy Liles also- what a rider- think he would have won it also one year but he busted his leg up or something. Fantastic rider Billy was.
magoo1982
10/9/2018 2:01pm
I would say the Inter am and Tran Ama series were the best series the U S ever had . The winter am and golden state series were right up there with supercross and nationals also...
Sparky_27
10/9/2018 2:10pm
a22 wrote:
Just out of interest, what Americans have done it in the past and did good or won? Just thought of Trampas Parker and Donny Schimt- very...
Just out of interest, what Americans have done it in the past and did good or won?

Just thought of Trampas Parker and Donny Schimt- very cool riders- just used to love watching Donny rip it up!

** added- Billy Liles also- what a rider- think he would have won it also one year but he busted his leg up or something. Fantastic rider Billy was.
Danny Chandler 1985 and rode British Championships as well.
Jonny o'mara & Marty Smith done the odd GP in the day.
Remember Jeff Ward racing in international meetings in Europe.
Rick Johnson is on record saying he was looking to do Gps before his injury.
Mike Healey, bobby Moore & Tallon Vohland done full seasons.
Most recent is Mike Brown twice!
Rs444
10/9/2018 2:12pm
Frank wrote:
FuzzyLogic wrote:
I hate this idea, primarily the US Nationals going away....but you may not be far off. That said, I think it is a more likely scenario...
I hate this idea, primarily the US Nationals going away....but you may not be far off.

That said, I think it is a more likely scenario than having a top US guy leave to go race the GP's.

Nationals could still exist but like a series for ppl honing their skills
Rs444
10/9/2018 2:14pm
It Will happen sooner or later. Even the americans have begun to understand that the gp's is where u go if u want to be the outdoor goat and sx isnt for everyone.
a22
10/9/2018 2:20pm
Sparky_27 wrote:
Danny Chandler 1985 and rode British Championships as well. Jonny o'mara & Marty Smith done the odd GP in the day. Remember Jeff Ward racing in...
Yep- forgot about Vohland- he did really good and was right up there.
Magoo, yes he did the British championship also -remember that. They made him qualify in the support class - god knows why- lapped the whole field like a madman!
Yep Browny and of course Bobby Moore, forgot about those two!
magoo1982
10/9/2018 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 2:22pm
a22 wrote:
Just out of interest, what Americans have done it in the past and did good or won? Just thought of Trampas Parker and Donny Schimt- very...

I ve always admired the guys that went to GPs the most. also back in the day mark blackwell, ron nelson , john de soto , marty moates , gary semics , chuck sun . a couple older guys im forgettin also ...
a22
10/9/2018 2:28pm
magoo1982 wrote:
I ve always admired the guys that went to GPs the most. also back in the day mark blackwell, ron nelson , john de soto...
I ve always admired the guys that went to GPs the most. also back in the day mark blackwell, ron nelson , john de soto , marty moates , gary semics , chuck sun . a couple older guys im forgettin also ...
For sure- so cool to see new faces and the US guys come over , even if just for a race or three... and not a whole season even.
Your probably abit older than me from the riders you mention but remember Marty Moates out of the names you mention doing good.
Just remembered 'Wild Willy' Surrat- he also came over for the GP's and did very good.

Stoop
Fantasy
912th
10/9/2018 2:30pm
Wasn’t it the the start of the year when Barcia didn’t have a ride he was looking to try and go to the gp’s?

Im happy everything turned out the way it did for him, but it would have been cool to see if he had have a got a ride over there.
Excaliburbmx
10/9/2018 2:43pm
The ama nationals are not going anywhere.

America team does mediocre and people think we are done. It was a mud race and our team finished fifth. Competition is leveling out and that’s a good thing.
ob
10/9/2018 2:50pm
Whoever did it and was successful would be an American Fucking Hero!!
Frank
10/9/2018 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 3:25pm
Frank wrote:
FuzzyLogic wrote:
I hate this idea, primarily the US Nationals going away....but you may not be far off. That said, I think it is a more likely scenario...

Rs444 wrote:
Nationals could still exist but like a series for ppl honing their skills
You are 100% correct. The sport also needs to reign in the money they spend on amateur sponsorship/parts/gear. Give it all to the pro's who are FIM SX or FIM MXGP MX. As it is now top amateurs get more money/gear/bikes than many pro's in the usa. How wrong is that? Matthes rants about this all the time.
Moto96
10/9/2018 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 4:56pm
a22 wrote:

Sparky_27 wrote:
Danny Chandler 1985 and rode British Championships as well. Jonny o'mara & Marty Smith done the odd GP in the day. Remember Jeff Ward racing in...
Add a good 10 or more to the list.

Trampas Parker, Billy Liles, Donny Schmidt, Brad Lackey, the list is long actually. I think they all won a title or 3 also, and came damn close a few more times also.
ATKpilot99
10/9/2018 4:58pm
Jimmy Button gave the 125 GPs a go in 95. I think he finished 5th in the final standings.
Doddy
10/9/2018 5:15pm
Depends if they get tired of racking up injuries in SX?

Post a reply to: Do you think a Top American will ever go to the GP's?

The Latest