Do you think Dungey thought about a SX Only deal and

BobbyM
Edited Date/Time 1/4/2018 9:16pm
If h did that do you think that we would have still kicked ass if he would have taken that route?
|
1/4/2018 2:26pm
Probably not at the time. Based on his interviews he was done. But now, who knows?
1/4/2018 2:26pm
I doubt he ever really thought about it but maybe. He'd still kick some serious ass if he did it, though.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/4/2018 2:41pm
Talking with some people who worked with him, he didn't even want to do the last one. They compromised, and he went out as SX champ.
mauidex
1/4/2018 2:45pm
yeah and after roczens crash he was definitely a "different" dungey!!!

The Shop

1/4/2018 3:27pm
If we see the type of wild inconsistency from the top riders that we saw in outdoors last year without Dunge, he could've easily wrapped up a few more titles.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/4/2018 3:31pm
mauidex wrote:
I'd agree with that.
Sully
1/4/2018 3:33pm
mauidex wrote:
I had the feeling he was done after his outdoors crash in '16. He was out, but he wasn't laid up, so I think he probably got a taste of life outside of racing for the first time, and liked not having the pressure. Then Kenny crashed, and that visibly sealed the deal.
mauidex
1/4/2018 3:45pm
Sully wrote:
I had the feeling he was done after his outdoors crash in '16. He was out, but he wasn't laid up, so I think he probably...
I had the feeling he was done after his outdoors crash in '16. He was out, but he wasn't laid up, so I think he probably got a taste of life outside of racing for the first time, and liked not having the pressure. Then Kenny crashed, and that visibly sealed the deal.
Yeah in one of his interviews somewhere he laid it all out. He was done after crash and neck injury but slot of the team and Aldon talked him into at least giving 2017 SX a shot. Then a few races in Kroc deal. About half way through when the “just a dirt bike race” cane out I knew he was finished. Good for him to go out how he did. Many others wish they could have done the same.
Sully
1/4/2018 3:48pm
Sully wrote:
I had the feeling he was done after his outdoors crash in '16. He was out, but he wasn't laid up, so I think he probably...
mauidex wrote:
Yeah in one of his interviews somewhere he laid it all out. He was done after crash and neck injury but slot of the team and...
Yeah in one of his interviews somewhere he laid it all out. He was done after crash and neck injury but slot of the team and Aldon talked him into at least giving 2017 SX a shot. Then a few races in Kroc deal. About half way through when the “just a dirt bike race” cane out I knew he was finished. Good for him to go out how he did. Many others wish they could have done the same.
"Good for him to go out how he did. Many others wish they could have done the same."

Hard to argue with that.
Phantom 661
1/4/2018 4:47pm
Watching Dungey match Kenny in speed and close a gap at round 2? last year was the last time I remember seeing the champ perform at such a level in SX. It was a pretty good race too.
Didn't Dunge say that KTM offered him the same salary for doing SX only? Guess his mind was already made up though. I just can't see Dunge being content with part time racing anyhow. Its what made me fan to begin with.... All or nothing.
BobbyM
1/4/2018 5:04pm
GuyB wrote:
Talking with some people who worked with him, he didn't even want to do the last one. They compromised, and he went out as SX champ.
He didn't want to win the title? I call bullshit on you GuyB. Only time I would
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/4/2018 5:08pm
BobbyM wrote:
I didn't say he didn't want to win the title, I was told that he didn't even want to do the season.

He was all in from A1, and looked probably the best and most aggressive I'd seen him. But I feel he also backed it down several notches after Ken Roczen's crash at A2.
plowboy
1/4/2018 5:09pm
If memory serves, Windham called it a day because SX was getting too risky for his liking. Don't get me wrong...I love the sport but it scares the crap out of me watching these guys.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
1/4/2018 5:15pm
BobbyM wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I didn't say he didn't want to win the title, I was told that he didn't even want to do the season. He was all in...
I didn't say he didn't want to win the title, I was told that he didn't even want to do the season.

He was all in from A1, and looked probably the best and most aggressive I'd seen him. But I feel he also backed it down several notches after Ken Roczen's crash at A2.
This.

Watching him in person at A1, San Diego, and A2, he was pushing the pace and was 2016 level. After Kenny's crash he backed it down and was mentally done with pushing the pace. The aggression to push was rarely there besides his Daytona come back ride, Toronto come back, Seattle come back, and the Vegas finals. He was done pushing the pace on the level needed to beat Tomac on a weekly basis.

Ryan even said in his Alway5 Fox documentary that he wanted to be done before the 2017 season and Aldon talked him into doing the west coast swing of Supercross and then re-evaluate after that, they had a huge points lead leaving Dallas and the rest is history.
BobKerr
1/4/2018 5:54pm
No, he wanted to quit after his neck injury.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/4/2018 6:09pm
I remember something along the lines that Dungey wanted to retire before he extented his contract with KTM but I think after talking things over with Roger, KTM and his family/wife he signed the extension. He then got hurt outdoors and he was ready to call it quits after that. Talked things over with KTM and they agreed to let him do his last SX series and call it a career after that.

Post a reply to: Do you think Dungey thought about a SX Only deal and

The Latest