Do you race for Trophies?

Bineano
11/4/2018 9:23pm
Trophies KIND of matter :-)

Years ago, my Family was relocating when I hit my old trophy stash.
“Wtf am I ever going to need these for?” was my thought process at the time, so off to the Local Landfill they went.

Somehow, I inadvertently ended up with a 5th place trophy (2 Day Event, I won Sunday, missed Saturday and ended up 5th Overall) that didn’t get turfed.

My Son was maybe 5 or 6 at the time and finds this silly 5th place Trophy, when he asks me “Dad, why only fifth?”
I tried to explain that I won Day 2, missed Day 1... 5th overall. He didn’t get it. I was only 5th in his eyes :-(

So I told him “I’ll get you a 1st this weekend if you want”, all cocky like.
I got him the trophy BUT... broke my scaphoid during the win.
Missed 12 weeks of work, cost me a shit ton of money...!

The only trophies in my house now are the old 5th and a $20,000.00 (in lost wages!) $10.00 pos 1st, lol.

So I kind of wish I would have kept at least one 1st!
mumbles
Fantasy
676th
11/9/2018 1:46pm
wfoskir wrote:
Why do they only hand out trophies and not money? I have no idea what it cost to promote/put on a race, but! I have done...
Why do they only hand out trophies and not money? I have no idea what it cost to promote/put on a race, but!
I have done a bit of racing, always enjoyed getting a trophy and was very proud of my achievement. I got my son racing, spent a lot of money (like most psycho dads out there) all for a trophy. Our racing turns into just riding.
My daughter starts doing rodeo. I know very little about rodeo (then). Well it turns out if you do good you get paid. I am not taking about professional rodeo, just a rodeo, like the races we go to to get trophies. She would get money and prizes, buckles, saddles, halters.....
So, why do we only get trophies?
Love my sport, don't know if I will ever race again, but still love my sport.

Oh and horses cost more than bikes!
Funny you mention money instead of trophies. I raced in Eastern North Carolina in the early to mid eighties. The first few races my first year I took the trophy because I was excited to have it in my hand and have something to take home. But after a few I thought why not take the money instead. At the time gas was 50 cent a gallon and the race entry was $3.50. I remember first got me $15, second 10 and third 5. Even a third paid my entry and gas and if I got second or first I could by something for the bike or new piece of riding gear. I never collected another trophy.

I still have the first trophy. I have restored a couple old street bikes and I took the top off that first trophy and mounted it Marlin Brando stile from the Wild One on the handle bars. So when I ride it always reminds me of that first race in 1972.
moore433
11/9/2018 3:49pm
Bultaco wrote:
Agree. The trophies sure seemed welcome when I was 19. Rick Sieman wrote an article in Dirt Bike (way, way back) comparing the blossoming number of...
Agree. The trophies sure seemed welcome when I was 19.

Rick Sieman wrote an article in Dirt Bike (way, way back) comparing the blossoming number of Socal MX classes to the same in bracket drag racing. One of the examples he used was "Jim Bob had bragging rights because he won the green-Plymouth-Valiant-with-a-pig-in-the-trunk class".
T-Fish wrote:
I resemble the green Plymouth Valiant (Scamp) remark. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/30/299383/s1200_6AA67F06_5B35_4098_9335_3511F5F5F954.jpg[/img]
I resemble the green Plymouth Valiant (Scamp) remark.
My first car was a 69 Dodge Dart GTS with a 383 magnum. Your car looks awesome...

The Shop

Post a reply to: Do you race for Trophies?

The Latest