Do you race for Trophies?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/30/2018 6:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2018 6:04 PM

Do they even matter? Maybe it's my perspective now that they are much harder to come by? I just want to have fun, and somehow the fun went away when my kids would ask "2nd out of how many" when I brought one home. Still today I feel that they have become a detriment to the amateur sport where it takes 5 to make a class and 3 get trophies. The 1st thing on FB when a new race is announced is often "what classes are they running". Sand bagging and cherry picking has gone on forever in a sport where the rider picks the class. After LL it got even worse.

Eventually got rid of all but 1 series plaque (keep the labels in the toolboxsmile) about the same time as the neon beer signs since they weren't making the cut in the new house (she who must be obeyed). Used to give them to girls who came to the races with me (it was juvenile to take advantage of them like that). The kids in the hood grabbed some of them when I hauled them out to the curb.

|

10/30/2018 6:04 PM

Do dirtbike races even matter?

|

10/30/2018 6:07 PM

Sorry you got punked by your kids bro

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

10/30/2018 6:10 PM

Agree. The trophies sure seemed welcome when I was 19.

Rick Sieman wrote an article in Dirt Bike (way, way back) comparing the blossoming number of Socal MX classes to the same in bracket drag racing. One of the examples he used was "Jim Bob had bragging rights because he won the green-Plymouth-Valiant-with-a-pig-in-the-trunk class".

|

10/30/2018 6:16 PM

For kids, I think it matters. If they go home empty handed, oh well. They will try better next time. They are also good for the garage walls and shelves, along with old helmets.

|

10/30/2018 6:28 PM

I got my first ones this year, 4 in total. I keep them because they look nice mainly. Photo

|

2002 KX125 (SOLD)/2001 KX250 (SOLD)
1999 KX250 (SOLD)
2016 RM-Z250(SOLD)
2018 KTM 150XC-W(current)

10/30/2018 6:31 PM

While I don’t race for trophies, I do enjoy picking them up at the end of the day. To me they represent a great weekend of racing and I can look at the handful I have left in the garage and reminisce about those good times. I remember nearly every weekend..

|

10/30/2018 6:33 PM

Do you even race bro?

|

10/30/2018 6:35 PM

I got my first trophy a few weeks ago since having kids and getting back into racing. The look on my 6 year olds face when they called my name, it was like he got the trophy. He took it to school for show and tell on Monday.

So hell yeah I race for trophy's, it means for the next couple of days I'm the coolest dad around lol

|

10/30/2018 6:36 PM

Arrow- those are cool awards.

Congrats.

|

10/30/2018 6:52 PM

When your 12 years old and there is 10 riders in the mini novice class and you just stuffed another kid on the last lap for the final 3rd place plastic. Hell yes trophies matter. Until you get older and have boxes of trophies in the garage with all the broken peices and hardware, and engraved plates that fell off at the bottom of each box.

|

10/30/2018 7:14 PM

yes

|

10/30/2018 7:25 PM

I collected well over a hundred of them, all in my bedroom, right next to my waterbed. Yup chicks dug them. The story behind them all got me accepted to a University I otherwise wouldn't have. Shittiest day ever was when they got hauled to the dump. I only have the last two I won, both first place. They're staying.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

10/30/2018 7:31 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Do they even matter? Maybe it's my perspective now that they are much harder to come by? I just want to have fun, and somehow ...more

Heck, the track always gave us a choice of shop credit or a trophy.

|

10/30/2018 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2018 7:39 PM

Yep, I pick up every one I earn, and keep them all in my man cave above the garage. I manage to get a couple around the desk or on my dresser, but they bring a sense of satisfaction for doing something well that day. There are a lot more empty handed days, especially when you’re just starting out or move up a class; makes them even more valuable to me.

I still have the first one I ever earned, for a 3rd at Indian Dunes in 1979, Open Beginner class!

|

10/30/2018 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2018 7:53 PM

I threw all of mine away from when I raced back when except for the first one I ever won which was at my second race ever.

When I was racing in the 70's and 80's, the bottom line was that I was always happy after a race irregardless of what place I finished although winning a pro race or placing high at the end was a bit more fun. I always thought, and still think, that it is hilarious and a bit sad at the same time when someone gets all pissed off if they didn't do well. How can riding a dirt bike not be fun at any point in time.

I just started racing again after 32 years of not riding any bike at all and after being laid up for several years a few years ago, and I have way more fun beating a guy riding a new $10,000.00 450 4 stroke with my 38 year old 2 stroke than I do if I beat another vintage 2 stroke, and they are especially shocked when I holeshot them. Plus, to add insult to injury, my bike smokes worse than the Marlboro man so they hate being behind it, lol.

Since I started riding again, I have collected trophy in every class I entered except for one race I was in where I was leading my class but ran out of gas one lap from the end. I am keeping them for now but may eventually give them away to the grandkids if they want them.

|

10/30/2018 8:32 PM

I have a storage unit Filled with them ( really ) But I keep some special ones at home . My LL trophy. Mammoth bears and a few from other big events like Gold Cup
. I have not raced in 2 years sadly since I had a pretty good injury. But I am itching to go again . Just trying to decide if I want to maybe transition over to off road .

|

A big Thank you to FLY racing. OMA KTM. 100%. DT-1 Motorex and Bell helmets . Racing for you JG96

10/30/2018 9:02 PM

Bultaco wrote:

Agree. The trophies sure seemed welcome when I was 19.

Rick Sieman wrote an article in Dirt Bike (way, way back) comparing ...more

I resemble the green Plymouth Valiant (Scamp) remark. Photo

|

10/30/2018 9:06 PM

I usually ask if I can exchange the trophy for a t-shirt. Some tracks are good with that, some aren’t. I’ll take and keep the first place trophies, but any less than that I’ll let the track keep it (unless they’ll give me a shirt instead) so they can use it at the next race. It’s not me disrespecting them, it’s that trophies aren’t cheap and in many cases tracks have a hard time staying open. Every little bit they can save helps.

|

10/31/2018 2:41 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Do they even matter? Maybe it's my perspective now that they are much harder to come by? I just want to have fun, and somehow ...more

People race for all type of reasons,..your a dickhead

|

10/31/2018 2:52 AM

The first, 1st Place trophy I got, at a Club Trophy Day, as a senior in 125's (16) was donated to the club by Mitch Hoad. R.I.P.

I still have it.

|

10/31/2018 3:03 AM

I shot all of mine! That little motocrosser dude on his old bike with his open face helmet and flying goggles that was always the standard trophy..when you hit him with a 22...he just explodes! It's pretty good fun! All of my plastic model airplanes ,that i built and painted when I was a kid went the same way..eventually they had to go into combat and face the music!
Trophies never meant jack shit to me...i woulda give em back but they were always already inscribed with the date of the event...no good for the next guy..
If I ever won a trophy for winning an A class event..I'd keep it, but I never did...dont want anything that says b grade or c grade or vet...phooey!

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

10/31/2018 3:24 AM

I’ll race for a Trophy....... GIRL that is....kissing w00t devil laughing

I guess it's just a matter of interpretation

cool

|

10/31/2018 3:41 AM

Nowadays I only live to get radical haha

|

I'm the dude, man.

10/31/2018 3:47 AM

If enough people show up, I can actually still come home with more money than I spent to go racing that week. Trophies just take up room.

|

10/31/2018 5:40 AM

No, but I sure like showing them to my grandkids when I manage to get one ?

|

10/31/2018 5:41 AM

I started racing again this year after not being a racer since 2007. I raced +25B and turned 30 in August. My only goal for the year was to have fun and try to get trophies for my 3yr old son. I stayed in the top 3 and won a race even. The joy on my boys face when he got to carry my trophies was worth every minute and dime spent to get to that point. Personally I don't care whether I get one or not but my son does haha.

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

10/31/2018 5:44 AM

|

10/31/2018 5:47 AM

T-Fish wrote:

I resemble the green Plymouth Valiant (Scamp) remark. Photo

I know its not moto but being a car guy I cant help but to say that this thing is Bad Ass !!

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

10/31/2018 6:34 AM

Cool

|