I make my own suspension bro, no oil to save weight
7/17/2020 6:46am
Spudnut wrote:
I make my own suspension bro, no oil to save weight
Yup. This kit provides Tremendous weight savings over stock units:
wwdiii
7/17/2020 7:39am
Rickyisms wrote:
You do bushings in that time period as well?
wwdiii wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to as which bushings............I'd guess front wheel hub bushings since we are talking Forks. Asking in...
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to as which bushings............I'd guess front wheel hub bushings since we are talking Forks. Asking in case something else I need to take into consideration while I have it all apart.

Thanks, Billy

There are 2 teflon bushings in each fork. One at the top of the lower fork tube, and one at the bottom of the upper fork...
There are 2 teflon bushings in each fork. One at the top of the lower fork tube, and one at the bottom of the upper fork tube.
My brain kicked in, I know which ones they are, steal bushings with teflon linning on the inside and I have them in the seal kit I have an plan on changing them.

The Shop

wwdiii
7/18/2020 8:12am
There are a ton of step by step instructions on the Race Tech website and some older fork and shock rebuild/revalve videos also. Here's the most...
There are a ton of step by step instructions on the Race Tech website and some older fork and shock rebuild/revalve videos also.

Here's the most common fork rebuild ones for those wondering if they can handle it.

https://racetech.com/page/title/IP%20FK%20Rebuild%20Twin%20Chamber
The inner camber looks like quite a bit to it. I wasn’t planning on touching it. I need to read those instructions on my PC, not my iPad.

Haven’t had time to look at my service manual, work kept getting in the way. Will have time this weekend.

My fork tools will be here on Monday as I recall.

Lot of good info guys.
BAMX
7/18/2020 10:25am
There are a ton of step by step instructions on the Race Tech website and some older fork and shock rebuild/revalve videos also. Here's the most...
There are a ton of step by step instructions on the Race Tech website and some older fork and shock rebuild/revalve videos also.

Here's the most common fork rebuild ones for those wondering if they can handle it.

wwdiii wrote:
The inner camber looks like quite a bit to it. I wasn’t planning on touching it. I need to read those instructions on my PC, not...
The inner camber looks like quite a bit to it. I wasn’t planning on touching it. I need to read those instructions on my PC, not my iPad.

Haven’t had time to look at my service manual, work kept getting in the way. Will have time this weekend.

Lot of good info guys.
The twin chamber is easy once you get the hang of it. Loosen the top clamp and then the fork cap before taking it off the bike. It is easier than trying to hold the round fork in a vise. Also, take your time and angle the chamber slightly so that you can pour the oil on the side of the chamber. This helps reduce the bubbles. Go slow when pumping the chambers piston during bleed. It is easy to cavitate the oil and reintroduce bubbles I usually cycle the piston a bit and then give it some time for the small bubbles to float to the top. Then, cycle it some more.

Pro tip for RM250 twin chamber owners. The fork seals/parts from the 06 CRF450 are the same and half the price of Suzuki OEM. Both are NOK brand.
wwdiii
7/18/2020 3:26pm

wwdiii wrote:
The inner camber looks like quite a bit to it. I wasn’t planning on touching it. I need to read those instructions on my PC, not...

Lot of good info guys.
BAMX wrote:
The twin chamber is easy once you get the hang of it. Loosen the top clamp and then the fork cap before taking it off the...
The twin chamber is easy once you get the hang of it. Loosen the top clamp and then the fork cap before taking it off the bike. It is easier than trying to hold the round fork in a vise. Also, take your time and angle the chamber slightly so that you can pour the oil on the side of the chamber. This helps reduce the bubbles. Go slow when pumping the chambers piston during bleed. It is easy to cavitate the oil and reintroduce bubbles I usually cycle the piston a bit and then give it some time for the small bubbles to float to the top. Then, cycle it some more.

Pro tip for RM250 twin chamber owners. The fork seals/parts from the 06 CRF450 are the same and half the price of Suzuki OEM. Both are NOK brand.
I looked at my service manual this morning and and it said the same thing about loosen fork cap before taking forks off.

I should make copies of the service manual pages on fork seals, if not my service manual will end up will oil all over knowing me!!!
friday10
7/21/2020 8:49pm
My kid calls me last night at 10:45 pm, Hey Dad, can I borrow your fork seal driver! Proud that my kid can work on his own bike!
7/21/2020 9:25pm
Did fork seals with a friend one time and saved 25$ on the cost of taking them in. After that day I decided that 25$ is well worth taking them in. I don’t mess with forks and I don’t change tires, both in my book are worth the money to take in. Top ends carb rebuilds, bearing greasing, etc are what I enjoy. However to each their own.
spimx
7/22/2020 4:52am
Did fork seals with a friend one time and saved 25$ on the cost of taking them in. After that day I decided that 25$ is...
Did fork seals with a friend one time and saved 25$ on the cost of taking them in. After that day I decided that 25$ is well worth taking them in. I don’t mess with forks and I don’t change tires, both in my book are worth the money to take in. Top ends carb rebuilds, bearing greasing, etc are what I enjoy. However to each their own.
It's at least 100$ cheaper for me. Who does seals for 25$ ?

Post a reply to: Do you own fork seals and take it to the shop

The Latest