Do you own fork seals and take it to the shop

wwdiii
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2020 4:52am
I noticed the other day my 2014 YZ250F was leaking oil at the seals. Used a seal cleaning tool and got some gunk out. Also a small really hard piece of seal material came out of one of them. They pretty much quit leaking best I can tell but I am sure I need seals.

I have a guy that does them for 60 bucks per fork if you bring them to him with the seals and oil. I figured it would be easier as busy as I am with my job to do it myself than drive half way across Houston. My luck I'd get caught in a BLM protest!!.

So bought a seal kit, oil and Decided to do it myself. I've done all kinds of repairts but not fork seals. Plenty of seals on other non motorcycle stuff. I have a YZ250F Services Manual and looked at few Youtube vids.

I could have made a seal tool, but found one on Amazon for 26 bucks. I think 49 mm wrench was 20 bucks from Dennis Kirk, I didn't have a big syringe, I think it was 15 buck with the measureing washer.

I through the poll out to see who does and who doesnt.

Thanks, Billy
Poll

How many change their own Fork Seals

Choices
|
Motofinne
7/16/2020 9:25am
I take it to my suspension guy. I could probably buy the tools and do it myself but he is such a nice guy and helps me a lot regarding the bike and suspension setup so i'm happy to bring it to him.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/16/2020 9:28am
I just changed my first set of fork seals. It's a tough job, but possible with Youtube University.
Tech tip: Use a Trojan Magnum condom instead of a fork seal bullet tool, if you don't have one.
wwdiii
7/16/2020 9:41am
Falcon wrote:
I just changed my first set of fork seals. It's a tough job, but possible with Youtube University. Tech tip: Use a Trojan Magnum condom instead...
I just changed my first set of fork seals. It's a tough job, but possible with Youtube University.
Tech tip: Use a Trojan Magnum condom instead of a fork seal bullet tool, if you don't have one.
I carry Magnum Trojan Condums around in my back pocket. Most people think its a snuff can but its not!!!!!

Didn't think of using one of those, would have saved myself 3 bucks, fork bullet cost 4 bucks!!
wwdiii
7/16/2020 9:56am
Falcon wrote:
I just changed my first set of fork seals. It's a tough job, but possible with Youtube University. Tech tip: Use a Trojan Magnum condom instead...
Falcon,

What brand, Yam, Kaw?

I found a Youtube for 2016 YZ250f, nothing for my 2014. My guess they are are simular.

The Shop

Chance1216
7/16/2020 10:35am
I take it to a suspension guy. New seals, wear items, fluids etc. $200 for forks and shock. Well worth it to me.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/16/2020 10:52am
I used to take them in. Was bored one winter so thought I would try it. By the tools thru Rocky Mountain (tusk) and watch youtube video and you are golden. If you have the Yamaha manual it does a good job of showing what to do. One time doing it will save the cost of the tools and then you are saving money every time after. Set aside an afternoon and do it!
Solidkm
7/16/2020 11:00am
It’s not hard. Especially with the KYB SSS. Get you some YouTube and you’ll be fine. Buy the correct tools, too. Which sounds like you already did.

Also, I recently bought race techs soft jaws for my vise and that was a nice addition. I have done it plenty of times with out the jaws as well. Note: I had To modify / drill new holes for it to line up. Even though it was advertised for my vise, which pissed me right off
Tracktor
7/16/2020 11:12am
Usually do them myself. We have a very good sponsorship from our suspension guy but he is extremely busy so I'd rather him spend time making money doing revalves then pissing around swapping seals for us. It's a very simple job once you do a few sets & have the correct tools. Easy as or easier than doing a top end on a 2-stroke if you want a comparison (depends on fork type)......
mikec265
7/16/2020 12:19pm
I haven't done anything more complicated than KX65 forks yet which are pretty simple. Always sent my big bike suspension out, but I gotta learn sometime in the near future.
Rickyisms
7/16/2020 12:45pm
I did the bushings and seals on a 125SX which was easy. I had a tech from the shop I work at walk me through it, then I did both of them while he was working on some other stuff. I only had to ask him one question the whole time. I would 100% do it again.

I think it's a good thing to do it yourself and learn how everything works inside the forks. Makes it easier to diagnose your problems yourself.
7/16/2020 12:57pm
I do all my own suspension work now. Once you have a few special tools, its actually quite easy. If you dont know how to do it, theres likely a youtube video on it. Saves a bunch of money in the long run, especially if you rebuild your suspension every 25-30 hours like i do.
7/16/2020 1:33pm
everyone should be doing there own seals, with a few small tools its no harder than any regular maintenance
Rickyisms
7/16/2020 1:47pm
I do all my own suspension work now. Once you have a few special tools, its actually quite easy. If you dont know how to do...
I do all my own suspension work now. Once you have a few special tools, its actually quite easy. If you dont know how to do it, theres likely a youtube video on it. Saves a bunch of money in the long run, especially if you rebuild your suspension every 25-30 hours like i do.
You do bushings in that time period as well?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
7/16/2020 2:00pm
Falcon wrote:
wwdiii wrote:
Falcon,

What brand, Yam, Kaw?

I found a Youtube for 2016 YZ250f, nothing for my 2014. My guess they are are simular.
'06 YZ250. Pretty sure your '14 is only minimally different from the '16.
wwdiii
7/16/2020 2:50pm
I do all my own suspension work now. Once you have a few special tools, its actually quite easy. If you dont know how to do...
Rickyisms wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to as which bushings............I'd guess front wheel hub bushings since we are talking Forks. Asking in case something else I need to take into consideration while I have it all apart.

Thanks, Billy

Rickyisms
7/16/2020 2:53pm
Rickyisms wrote:
wwdiii wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to as which bushings............I'd guess front wheel hub bushings since we are talking Forks. Asking in...
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to as which bushings............I'd guess front wheel hub bushings since we are talking Forks. Asking in case something else I need to take into consideration while I have it all apart.

Thanks, Billy

There is an inner and outer bushing inside each fork. They are coated, but when the coating wears you should replace them.
jimmie
7/16/2020 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2020 4:22pm
I have always serviced my bike forks, even made/fabricated a few specialty tools that were needed for the job.

With your bike specific manual and Youtube, it should be a relatively simple task. And the satisfaction of performing the job yourself is a plus. Do it, I dare you
7/16/2020 4:26pm
Rickyisms wrote:
wwdiii wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to as which bushings............I'd guess front wheel hub bushings since we are talking Forks. Asking in...

Thanks, Billy

There are 2 teflon bushings in each fork. One at the top of the lower fork tube, and one at the bottom of the upper fork tube.
crusher773
7/16/2020 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2020 9:45pm
wwdiii wrote:
I noticed the other day my 2014 YZ250F was leaking oil at the seals. Used a seal cleaning tool and got some gunk out. Also a...
I noticed the other day my 2014 YZ250F was leaking oil at the seals. Used a seal cleaning tool and got some gunk out. Also a small really hard piece of seal material came out of one of them. They pretty much quit leaking best I can tell but I am sure I need seals.

I have a guy that does them for 60 bucks per fork if you bring them to him with the seals and oil. I figured it would be easier as busy as I am with my job to do it myself than drive half way across Houston. My luck I'd get caught in a BLM protest!!.

So bought a seal kit, oil and Decided to do it myself. I've done all kinds of repairts but not fork seals. Plenty of seals on other non motorcycle stuff. I have a YZ250F Services Manual and looked at few Youtube vids.

I could have made a seal tool, but found one on Amazon for 26 bucks. I think 49 mm wrench was 20 bucks from Dennis Kirk, I didn't have a big syringe, I think it was 15 buck with the measureing washer.

Thanks, Billy
I live like 30 minutes from Factory Connection Oklahoma so I just take them to those guys.
7/16/2020 5:53pm
I did the seals on my 1985 atc 350x. They were simple enough. I usually send off my SSS forks though. You guys are making me want to just get on YouTube and go for it.
bvm111
7/16/2020 6:03pm
so easy a caveman could do it
7/16/2020 7:30pm
My ZX6R needs a seal on the spring leg. Compression leg is fine Figure I’ll have dealer to both legs as they are Showa big piston fork and I believe a special tool is needed. Dont feel like doing one only to have other one leak later and need to come off and be done.
FWYT
7/16/2020 7:44pm
Yep, sure do. Just picked up this groovy seal driver from Factory Wrench, as a matter of fact.
Covers my sizes and I dig the magnets that hold the halves together.

brocster
7/16/2020 7:58pm
Been doing them for many O years.
7/16/2020 9:00pm
bvm111 wrote:
It's a piece of piss but I still wouldn't trust a caveman to do it.
bvm111
7/16/2020 9:50pm
bvm111 wrote:
It's a piece of piss but I still wouldn't trust a caveman to do it.
probably not familiar with our old Gieco commercials... but my seven year old boy could probably do it
snackfedbear
7/16/2020 10:28pm
It’s relatively simple when you have the tools for it. Just make sure the left and right fork have exactly the same amount of oil and the torque specs are correct at least on the rebound damper bold thingy and you gud. Also write down where your rebound clickers are before you take of that bolt thingy
Rickyisms
7/16/2020 10:41pm
FWYT wrote:
Yep, sure do. Just picked up this groovy seal driver from Factory Wrench, as a matter of fact. Covers my sizes and I dig the magnets...
Yep, sure do. Just picked up this groovy seal driver from Factory Wrench, as a matter of fact.
Covers my sizes and I dig the magnets that hold the halves together.

That’s a sweet piece.
7/16/2020 11:06pm
wwdiii wrote:
I noticed the other day my 2014 YZ250F was leaking oil at the seals. Used a seal cleaning tool and got some gunk out. Also a...

Thanks, Billy
Sent you a message let me know if you have any questions.

Post a reply to: Do you own fork seals and take it to the shop

The Latest