Do you guys wear protection?

adam455
Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 10:17am
Ever pro rider video i watch the guys seem to be wearing as little protection as possible - no elbow pads, no chest guard ect ect.

So i was just wondering what you guys wear to protect the squishy bit that connects the foot pegs to the handle bars?

I personally wear it all and go a tenth of their speed. But then i suffer from horrendous arm pump. So i have to sacrifice my elbows if i want to hold onto the bars for more than 30 seconds (its that bad)..

Any thoughts?
|
Glory
10/27/2012 12:56pm
I stopped wearing elbow pads when I was like nine I think. Can't stand it..

Always wear:
Back protection (not sure what the name for that is in english?)
Kneepads
boots, helmet, googles and all that obviously

Sometimes I wear Chest guard, depends on the track
mx757
10/27/2012 12:57pm
When I first started I ran knee/shin guards, elbow guards, Kidney belt, full on chest protector, the works. By the time I stopped riding at the ripe old age of 21, (due to an injury) It was down to knee braces, and an EVS Revo 4 under jersey protector (the one with the plastic front plate) and that was it. I felt less restricted, and more fluid on the bike without the big chest protector and kidney belt.
10/27/2012 12:59pm
Well if it isnt Adam Thomas! Are you getting into moto more now then?

I've tried elbow guards and hate them. I wear a chest protector to stop the roost and that's about it.
Bronson905
Fantasy
503rd
10/27/2012 1:00pm
I wear mostly everything... boots, padded shorts, knee braces, chest pro, neck brace... I have tried elbow pads but no matter what, they always give me bad arm pump, so I can't stand them. Getting more comfortable on the bike with the more safety equipment on is a big confidence booster. I wouldn't take anything off, because I am so used to using the same equipment for years.

The Shop

Flatliner
10/27/2012 1:11pm
I wear the obvious riding gear plus an rxr protect.
watson
10/27/2012 1:24pm
Custom knee brace (made myself) on left knee (full ACL replacement), and knee/shin guards both legs and chest protector always when I'm riding with others and of course, racing. Used to have a Leatt but not quite convinced of it's usefulness besides aiding in breaking my collarbone on a tip over.
Barrett57
10/27/2012 1:27pm
I stopped wearing elbow pads, 15 minutes later I went through a fence, cut my arm to shreds, and went back to wearing elbow pads.

I have always worn a chest protector and knee braces though.
10/27/2012 1:42pm
You should wear one of our Moto Vest's. Not only do they protect you, there slim and keep you 22 degrees cooler than a plastic one. The best thing of all is they look kickass!!!!
motokawi818
10/27/2012 1:48pm
Do those things really keep you 20 degrees cooler? I personally thin they are an eyesore. To each their own.
Preston412
10/27/2012 1:52pm
Knee braces, neck brace always. Depending on track, I wear a kidney belt and or chest protector
10/27/2012 2:02pm
Do those things really keep you 20 degrees cooler? I personally thin they are an eyesore. To each their own.
Yes sir, they keep you cool over 20 degrees cooler for 15 to 25 minutes on a 100 degree day. They have 3 gel packs that you just simply put in your cooler. And if you think its ugly wear it inside your jersey for some serious protection. Our bio foam helps absorb impact verses plastic where the shock goes to the rider. The new generation 3 vest also has lower back protection. We had a quad rider that got ran over by another quad and he had bruieses all over his body except where our vest was. Looked like he had a farmers tan.
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
10/27/2012 2:41pm
You should wear one of our Moto Vest's. Not only do they protect you, there slim and keep you 22 degrees cooler than a plastic one...
You should wear one of our Moto Vest's. Not only do they protect you, there slim and keep you 22 degrees cooler than a plastic one. The best thing of all is they look kickass!!!!
I have actually been interested in purchasing a chest/back protector like that for a while now. I see a few like that around the tracks. Do you have a sizing chart available?
KlootZak
10/27/2012 3:06pm
Helmet
Neckbrace
Goggle
Handgloves
Shirt
Chest/backprotector
Knee guards
Boots
Kidney belt
Pants
Socks

Sometimes I do feel like a power ranger ...
10/27/2012 3:30pm
You should wear one of our Moto Vest's. Not only do they protect you, there slim and keep you 22 degrees cooler than a plastic one...
AS64 wrote:
I have actually been interested in purchasing a chest/back protector like that for a while now. I see a few like that around the tracks. Do...
I have actually been interested in purchasing a chest/back protector like that for a while now. I see a few like that around the tracks. Do you have a sizing chart available?
My 13 year old is 5'5" 105lbs wears a youth medium. My 16 year old is the one in the picture. He is 5'8" 135lbs and wears a youth large. I am 5'9" 180lbs and wear an adult medium. You don't want the bottom of the front to go past your belly button. It feels a little short when your standing around but when your crouched over on the bike its perfect. Give me your height and weight and I'll tell you the correct size. They also fit all three major neck braces and hold them down nicely with no straps.

-espionage-
Fantasy
1199th
10/27/2012 3:40pm
I have worn Thor Knee guards for years and this winter I'm going to buy a set of POD braces. I used to wear the Thor Sentinel chest protector but switched over to the SixSixOne under jersey protector. Less protection but I stay a lot cooler.
10/27/2012 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2012 3:53pm
I'm thinking of buying a Thor Sentinel next month as I hear they work well with the Leatt brace. My current spinal protection is heavy, cheap and uncomfortable but, and to answer the original question, I don't feel safe riding without anything on my back. I rather put up with it than go without.

The thing is, if my number does come up and God forbid I end up in that situation, I don't wanna be laying there in hospital thinking of what I could've done different. Better to know I took every reasonable precaution. And though nothing can guarantee complete safety - as far as I'm concerned putting something between your spine and the outside world should be common bloody sense in a sport like ours.
mxdude105
10/27/2012 3:57pm
All the obvious stuff plus a leatt brace and full chest/back protector. I can't believe the guys like Reed and Dungey running either nothing or a small foam roost guard, especially at those speeds. Cole Seely took a digger a while back landing on his chest and suffered some pretty serious injuries yet still is not wearing a chest protector. To each his own I guess, but when you're riding a 220lb motorcycle at speed over jumps and rough terrain, protect yourself as well as you can. It SHOULD be common sense, clearly it isn't for many riders.
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
10/27/2012 4:11pm
My 13 year old is 5'5" 105lbs wears a youth medium. My 16 year old is the one in the picture. He is 5'8" 135lbs and...
My 13 year old is 5'5" 105lbs wears a youth medium. My 16 year old is the one in the picture. He is 5'8" 135lbs and wears a youth large. I am 5'9" 180lbs and wear an adult medium. You don't want the bottom of the front to go past your belly button. It feels a little short when your standing around but when your crouched over on the bike its perfect. Give me your height and weight and I'll tell you the correct size. They also fit all three major neck braces and hold them down nicely with no straps.

I am 5'11" and 170lbs, so I think Adult Medium would be the best choice?
10/27/2012 4:32pm
My 13 year old is 5'5" 105lbs wears a youth medium. My 16 year old is the one in the picture. He is 5'8" 135lbs and...

AS64 wrote:
I am 5'11" and 170lbs, so I think Adult Medium would be the best choice?
Adult medium would be perfect. They are very adjustable from all angles. The shoulder straps have a wide range of adjustability, so if you have a neck brace or not it will fit like a glove. The sides adjust for the perfect fit. You wount even notice your wearing it. "other than being 20 degrees cooler of course!!!"
velocitygear
10/27/2012 5:21pm
I can tell you that WITHOUT A DOUBT, "REAL" protective apparel allows you to make mistakes, mistakes that would normally seriously injure or break you. When I say "real" I mean preferably CE tested apparel and nothing that is cheap. The garbage on Ebay and Amazon.com, is just that!

Safety ->= SPEED!!!
Scott167
Fantasy
255th
10/27/2012 8:29pm
The usual stuff. Least brace. Front and back chest protector. Cti2 knee braces. Won't go near a bike without the cti2s. Used to have kidney belt and elbow pads when younger but just never felt comfortable. Elbow pads either fell down or pumped me up in a lap.
ocscottie
10/27/2012 8:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2012 9:03pm
If i was riding today, i would seriously look into something like Roczen wears, it has the front of a Fox roost protector, and the back has a backplate/spine protector by Ortema that if i was wearing when i had my accident, i truly believe it would of made a HUGE difference and saved me from this life of hell. Just my opinion, but that spine protection looks invaluable!

Here is the pics of Kennys setup:

From GuyB's The Scoop 4/29/2011

...though he was obviously enjoying the warm weather, and opting to ride without a jersey. That did present an interesting way to check out some of his under armor, which is a custom-made piece from Fox Racing that integrates the sleeves from their Titan Sport Jacket, a well-ventilated chest plate from a Proframe LC Roost Deflector, and a back protector from Ortema.

crusher773
10/27/2012 10:08pm
I wear the usual gear, knee braces, chest protector, neckbrace and mouth piece. I think that mouth piece has helped a lot with me not getting my bell rung a couple times.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
10/29/2012 3:08am
everything except the elbow guards for mx, and I don't wear my leatt but do wear the elbow guards in the rare occurence I ride single track. I am going to ditch my leatt and try an Atlas brace for MX though, I find it really hard to look up using a Shoei VFX-w while wearing the leatt. The Atlas brace seems to have addressed that issue.
10/29/2012 3:45am
Knee braces, chest/back protector (ufo reactor2), leatt brace, boots and helmet, sometimes a kidney belt
haven't worn elbow guards since i was 12 or something
rmpilot
10/29/2012 6:29am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2012 6:30am
i wear a chest protector because its proven. they say only for roost but its common sense that helps absorb impact but it wont hurt you anymore. i am not sold on knee braces or neck braces not causing more problems than they solve. obviously i wear a helmet, goggles and boots.
pacetruckdrvr
10/29/2012 6:35am
All the normal stuff plus under jersey chest protector, pod knee braces, atlas neck brace(when it comes in), and I just got the new elbow pads from fox and I am really happy with them. At first I made the mistake of running them too tight and got bad arm pump, now i run them super loose and they stay right in place.

Post a reply to: Do you guys wear protection?

The Latest