Absolutely.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

12/12/2018 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2018 9:24 PM

It makes us more aggressive drivers...

I’m surprised though how many dirt bike racers cant get around a go kart track to save their life though (at least at a decent pace)...and if they can’t go fast around a go cart track, I don’t think they are very good drivers...just aggressive.

|

12/12/2018 9:33 PM

that’s because they are quads with steering wheels

|

12/12/2018 9:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2018 9:55 PM

temporarily_locked wrote:

that’s because they are quads with steering wheels

So is a car...and the OP is asking if racing dirt bikes makes better quads with steering wheels drivers...I say no. Because if you can’t drive a small quad with a steering wheel (go cart) you can’t drive a big quad with a steering wheel (car). What do you say?

|

12/12/2018 9:53 PM

@Tegger's........funny you brought this up. I think moto definitely bring's together a certain type of person , and that kinda person will possibly do weird shit behind anything with a motor in it. It makes it even worse for me , since I'm not only into moto , but also car racing sims. I drive a cargo van just about every where , and can't help but hug the shoulder's and look for the quickest way from point " A " to point " B ". Which honestly......I think is a good thing in my eye's. When I'm " make believing " in running a race car , I'll probably have more focus about what's going on around me then 99% of the people on the road.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

12/13/2018 1:07 AM

I always try to slingshot around the outside to keep momentum.laughing laughing

|

12/13/2018 1:26 AM

It depends what you mean by better driver.
I think it makes my car control better, but also makes me sometimes overconfident and complacent.
My wife has nowhere near the car control as me, but I would say she is less likely to be in a serious accident because she drives slower and a lot more carefully.
I think this is probably consistent with most racers

|

12/13/2018 1:40 AM

I think people who ride moto are better drivers. I went to K1 speed the other day, sorta pricey, but that shit is fun as fuck. And making clean passes/being patient really pays off. For me, maybe not everyone that rides moto, but I’m pretty aware of my surroundings, can usually spot a cop pretty good. Never been in a crash or pulled over for speeding, then again, only been driving for about 6 years.

|

12/13/2018 1:46 AM

I say yes. It helps you to stay relaxed in emergency situations. Things just don't seem that serious.

All of my MX friends are good drivers. That's not to say that they appear to be good drivers because they push the limits but given a problem, they react with a sort of calm confidence. It's almost like they underplay the seriousness sometimes but hell, it's nothing like WFO into a first corner with 40 riders. I traveled to most races with my best friend or my uncle (both drove extended vans) and both barely looked at the road, instead turned around telling me stories or debating stats.

I have 3 kids. I tried to introduce them to MX because I knew it would make them more confident drivers. They didn't take to MX like me but I hope that the time on the bike will help them in the long run.

Great question.

|

12/13/2018 2:57 AM

What i notice is im a lot more aggressive and am better at predicting where traffic is going to go than most people i know. also i notice my outside to inside to outside lines carry over to the street. And i dont do that “turn left to turn right” bs i see people do all the time.

|

12/13/2018 3:59 AM

Surrounding awereness, eye-hand coordination, reflexes, reaction time, less hesitation as you react faster than most people. I say yes, MX racing makes you a better driver.

To me, the most dangerous drivers are the ones, that have uncertainty in every action they take on the roads. If you add lack of spacial awereness (mirrors) into equation, that's a deadly one.

Yes, I drive above speed limit mostly, but it also keeps me focused on what I'm doing.
On the other hand, because I focus on the proper technique on the MX bike, I also started doing that with my driving.
Two hands on the wheel except when shifting, clutch control, heel-toe. Racing techniques and stuff, that is all fun as hell.

All of the above goes to does not apply after a proper moto practice or a race. Then IDGAF and drive slooooooooow.

|

12/13/2018 4:12 AM

I race BMX and I think it separates us from your average aggressive driver. A lot of aggressive drivers will weave in and out thinking they are going faster. I too hug the shoulder to see the traffic ahead. Then if it makes sense I’ll do what I can to get around the left lane camper.

I also notice it at the stoplight, when I anticipate the light change I’m already moving forward.

|

12/13/2018 5:22 AM

Talisker wrote:

I always take the inside of a double turn lane, then I have the option to drift high if needed. tongue

If I see the a yellow light while in the turn lane, I do tend to drive it in deep, get hard on the brakes, and pivot out harder on the throttle than normal. w00t

|

12/13/2018 5:26 AM

Talisker wrote:

KHI Guy wrote:

I always take the inside of a double turn lane, then I have the option to drift high if needed. tongue

If I see the a yellow light ...more

And I see curbs as berms, trying to get close to but not hitting them.

I also fan the clutch, in a higher gear, on my beater car while exiting turns.

|

12/13/2018 5:30 AM

You definitely have a better reaction. Other people tend to panic in a critical situation, for a racer these situations are more normal

|

12/13/2018 5:34 AM

Finding traction in the snow, or doing different things to make the car react how we want it to after it initially doesnt.

For example, us racers know the "shiny" packed snow is slick as hell, the fluffy snow has traction. laughing

|

12/13/2018 5:50 AM

teggers wrote:

I think so.

Man!!!! I know so.....I find myself getting caught up in the moment thinking about riding while I'm driving or in traffic. And, it's Braaap, downshift...double clutch....chain slap!!! Then the damn police pull up behind me. But seriously, while I'm driving I look at every ditch, every slope....and I'm like, "yeah I can make that" lol.

|

12/13/2018 6:00 AM

I know I spot the Pennsylvania pot holes before my wife does. #lookingahead

|

12/13/2018 6:25 AM

Photo
|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144, 2008 YZ250

12/13/2018 6:40 AM

NO! My father in-law has been riding and racing for 40 plus years and it's terrifying to be in a car with him

|

12/13/2018 6:48 AM

I can race a bike, be very consistant on a kart. Hell i can even drag race well, but i cant drive for shit.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

12/13/2018 6:51 AM

Definitely, especially after a drink!

|

12/13/2018 7:07 AM

I once got 2 speeding tickets within 24 hours of each other from the same cop.

|

12/13/2018 7:13 AM

Every stop light is a starting line.
Every on-ramp is a start straight.
Every corner/curve is a passing opportunity.
Every parking lot is a block passing bonanza.

Every person is a "better" driver. Just ask them. ;-)

|

12/13/2018 7:18 AM

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" George Carlin

|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144, 2008 YZ250

12/13/2018 7:21 AM

I think it makes you think you are a better driver.

|

12/13/2018 7:25 AM

I learned shortly after getting my license that speeding and driving like an idiot is dumb and not worth it. My driving skill is top notch (meaning i'm fast in a car racing situation like karting or autocross) but on public roads I'm very respectful and efficient with my driving. I don't attribute my driving skill at all to my motocross skill as they are totally different activities requiring totally different skills. I attribute my driving skill to many years of playing racing simulation games on the pc with a full set of racing pedals/steering wheel/shifter etc.

|

12/13/2018 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2018 7:28 AM

Knock on wood but I've been driving for 7 years (including towing trailers for a motorcycle shop) and I've never been in a wreck before. I credit it to racing quarter midgets in my youth along with dirt bikes.

|