Do we want a third east/west 250 race?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2022 9:01 PM

I personally think it would be cool. Or is it unfair to the privateers on their respective “coasts”. I’ve seen a few times in the past where the lower placing riders decide not to even make the trip over halfway across the country to race a shootout. I’d like to see one earlier in the season on the west coast so it matters more. Salt Lake kind of doesn’t count, everyone is mailing it in and in moto mode by that point.

|

4/3/2022 9:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2022 10:17 AM

The whole series needs to be East / West combined. Then we'll have a proper championship.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

4/3/2022 9:40 PM

At least once more!

|

4/3/2022 9:57 PM

I'd like to see east/west races at round 1, round 8 and the final round. Or, like Boom said, the entire series...

|

4/3/2022 9:58 PM

Yes

|

4/3/2022 10:05 PM

Boomslang wrote:

The whole series needs to be East / West combined. Then we'll have a proper championship.

good for racing, yes. but unfortunately, almost half the rides if that happens.

|

4/3/2022 10:46 PM

What if the last 5 rounds of the 250 series were combined? There are a lot of reasons to keep them separate, and a lot of reasons to combine them. Those title chases would surely be interesting!

|

Race Tech Director of Marketing
www.racetech.com
Proud supporters of VitalMX. Ask me about the VitalMX Discount!

4/3/2022 11:00 PM

We want a full combined 250 series.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- Yamaha YZ450F 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

4/3/2022 11:08 PM

No. We need a 2 stroke class for the youngsters.

|

4/3/2022 11:26 PM

I always thought there was a lot of anticipation for the East/West shootout, seems like that flare is gone. If you're going to do 2 or 3, might as well make a 250 class for the top riders then make another (shorter) coast for rookies and up and comers.

|

4/4/2022 4:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2022 4:56 AM

The shootouts are kind of pointless in a series separated into two regional groups.

Getting them together, especially late in the season, puts each points leader at risk, and the few others battling for spots behind them (and the contracts that may result) at risk.
It won't be in the best interest of the 28, and 18, to start mixing it up to see who has the bigger dick.

Sounds good on paper.
But watch as hype isn't lived up to, and privateers spend their $$$ to get there and don't get to be part of the show.

|

#FMS

4/4/2022 7:04 AM

If nothing else, change the name. East/West doesn’t have anything to do with the reality of who’s racing, try explaining it to an enthusiastic newbie. Maybe call them “made it through the offseason without injury 250” and “got hurt in the offseason 250” classes?

|

4/4/2022 9:10 AM

Gravel wrote:

If nothing else, change the name. East/West doesn’t have anything to do with the reality of who’s racing, try explaining it to ...more

Just try to explain geography to them. If you can't explain why Daytona is an East Coast round give me a call and I'll explain it to them.

I prefer only 1 combined East/West round. I'd rather look forward all year to just one race between Jett and Craig.

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

4/4/2022 9:52 AM

East & West 6-race series each with the last 5 rounds available to top 20 in points from each series for a combined championship.

The last 5 rounds this season happen after a week off so riders from either coast would have had a 2 week break minimum.

It would guarantee excitement by having a race for a championship regardless of what 450’s points looks like.

|

4/4/2022 10:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2022 10:33 AM

Boomslang wrote:

AngryBear wrote:

good for racing, yes. but unfortunately, almost half the rides if that happens.

I really don't think rides will be lost, teams like Star and PC can still run 4 riders. Their Semis are at every round anyways, riders will earn a bit more and there will still be room for the really good privateers. It can work. Its a no brainer!

Lets be real, times are changing and we all see the severe lack of depth on both coasts. We are seeing some privateers who really are not ready for SX try and qualify due to the lack of depth.

Edit. Look at the current state of both 250 Coasts. It's time to question the near future.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

4/4/2022 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2022 10:39 AM

I think adding a third class and starting the night program earlier would be beneficial. Get rid of the night program heat races, nobody cares about those. Make it strictly double header main events or incorporate something with incentive like hot lap challenges like the US Open did. They've already been doing SX futures qualifying on Friday. They can do something like that for the third "feeder" class (similar to futures). We can keep the 450 class how it is, combined the coasts in 250s and have them race the entire season (probably 25-30 consistent riders) qualify directly into the night program similar to triple crown format, maybe a daytime semi and LCQ instead of just the LCQ, then there's a third class with all the privateer teams like Phoenix Honda, RockRiver, Solitaire, that grooms amateur riders into their first few season into the pro ranks. The feeder 250 class would be a graduation into the premier 250 class, top 10 in the standings advance and/or win three races automatic promotion into the premier 250 class (similar to the Korn Ferry Tour in golf). I think all the riders and teams would need to be on board with this in order for it to work, but if explained correctly I think it's not a bad idea (if I get downvotes it's probably because I didn't explain it clear enough to make sense)

|

4/4/2022 10:49 AM

Boomslang wrote:

I really don't think rides will be lost, teams like Star and PC can still run 4 riders. Their Semis are at every round ...more

several team managers have publically said if the coasts were combined, there will be fewer rides. i'm basing my logic on that

quickest/easiest/likely best way to increase field depth? eliminate pointing out of 250 class. how many guys would still be in 250, likely for life, if that wasn't in place? we have several injured this year that have to bump up, and several would def stick around next year if they could...

|

4/4/2022 10:59 AM

Berm wrote:

East & West 6-race series each with the last 5 rounds available to top 20 in points from each series for a combined ...more

This makes a ton of sense and I love the idea.

Teams that usually do 1 coast can still do the one coast. I would just open the final combined championship up to any 250 rider though, since some guys might get hurt and not get top 20, for example Colt Nichols this year.

I'm interested in any arguments against this model, I'm having a hard time thinking of any faults to the current reasoning behind not combining the classes.

|

Holeshot Coffee Co.
Each bag sold donates $1 to Road2Recovery

4/4/2022 11:24 AM

Riesenberg448 wrote:

What if the last 5 rounds of the 250 series were combined? There are a lot of reasons to keep them separate, and a lot of ...more

I've never heard this idea thrown out there.
I really like it.
Separate east / west coast "regional" titles.
Top 20 from each series combine for 5 round 250 premier championship.

|

4/4/2022 2:26 PM

Gravel wrote:

If nothing else, change the name. East/West doesn’t have anything to do with the reality of who’s racing, try explaining it to ...more

McG194 wrote:

Just try to explain geography to them. If you can't explain why Daytona is an East Coast round give me a call and I'll explain ...more

After I show them a map, the question is: So the west riders are from the west and the east riders are from the east? And that’s where the reality of how riders choose a coast comes in. Then we talk about how the east/west concept was to help riders save money by having a regional championship, but how the regional thing is irrelevant to reality, then we discuss how having double the championships makes more sponsored rides, then we talk about why we can’t just have the best riders race each other because splitting the competition in half makes for half the competition, then the pointlessness of socially engineering more champions making more racers into winners..

Thanks for offering to help with the easy part..

|

4/4/2022 2:29 PM

Berm wrote:

East & West 6-race series each with the last 5 rounds available to top 20 in points from each series for a combined ...more

That’s a great idea! The final 5 would be like a new season, the gate would be stacked and we’d have a real idea of who’s the best 250 riders.

|

4/4/2022 5:28 PM

Berm wrote:

Gravel wrote:

That’s a great idea! The final 5 would be like a new season, the gate would be stacked and we’d have a real idea of who’s the ...more

Agreed, come on Feld make it happen

|

4/4/2022 6:37 PM

I want 17 of them a year.

|

4/4/2022 7:03 PM

Berm wrote:

Gravel wrote:

That’s a great idea! The final 5 would be like a new season, the gate would be stacked and we’d have a real idea of who’s the ...more

Well if we use this year as an example we would have craig and jett

|

4/4/2022 9:10 PM

Berm wrote:

Gravel wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Craig AND Jett is twice as good as Craig or Jett..

|

4/5/2022 1:18 PM

As much as I’d like to see a combined series, I’m afraid it would push the privateers out of the sport. What incentive would a young kid without a solid team have, to travel around trying to make a night show, knowing he’s not going to the main ? Same thing with small teams trying to help out the young riders, what kind of sponsors are going to give money to a team that gets no exposure for them ? It will only hurt the sport, this debate has been going on for years….

|

4/5/2022 4:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2022 4:53 PM

Gravel wrote:

kb228 wrote:

Gravel wrote:

Craig would work Jett imo. Craig's whoop speed is significantly faster than Jett's.

|

4/5/2022 4:57 PM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

Craig would work Jett imo. Craig's whoop speed is significantly faster than Jett's.

We will all find out soon enough. Don’t underestimate Jett Lawrence, he’s proven himself to be a winner. I hope they start 1-2 and put on a show for us, they are both riding exceptionally well.

|

4/5/2022 5:08 PM

Gravel wrote:

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

langhammx wrote:

We will all find out soon enough. Don’t underestimate Jett Lawrence, he’s proven himself to be a winner. I hope they start 1-2 ...more

We forget when jett was in 13th and caught Craig who was in 2nd..

Photo

|

4/5/2022 5:11 PM

deanwhite51 wrote:

We forget when jett was in 13th and caught Craig who was in 2nd..

Photo

Some forgot, some didn’t…… tongue

|