Do tracks own their design layout or unique obstacles?

byke
Edited Date/Time 8/7/2020 6:46am
This is not based on anything, so don't read too much into it. I was wondering if motocross tracks own their design layout and/or any unique obstacles? Has anyone heard of anyone suing for copying their layout or obstacles?
|
kkawboy14
8/3/2020 8:22pm
No, For example the F1 track here in Austin took a corner or say “section” from a bunch of tracks and made 1 track out of connecting it all together.
VicDaMoan03
8/3/2020 8:24pm
Do they physically own it? Sure. Do the own the design/layout as intellectual property? Nah I don't think so i've never heard of a track owned filing a parent or copyright on a design or obsticle. Even if they did it probably wouldn't be granted - too common not proprietary.
kage173
8/4/2020 4:41am
It's an interesting thought. You can certainly own a design. But a couple of things make it not worth it. One, you have to prosecute it and actively defend it. Two, the competition doesnt have to change the design much in order to get around it. Most tracks cant capture the return on defending it.
Mr. Info
8/4/2020 7:34am
Glen Helen uses a NASCAR track for their banked first turn out of respect for Taladega but we don’t own it. The names we use are there to represent a person or place out of respect.

The Shop

DonM
8/4/2020 8:28am
Mr. Info wrote:
Glen Helen uses a NASCAR track for their banked first turn out of respect for Taladega but we don’t own it. The names we use are...
Glen Helen uses a NASCAR track for their banked first turn out of respect for Taladega but we don’t own it. The names we use are there to represent a person or place out of respect.
And Red Bud has the Monza Curve....
cbarber
Fantasy
2028th
8/4/2020 10:00am
disbanded wrote:
I have a patent pending on QUAD jumps
Is said quad four individual singles or you got tabletops involved? asking for a friend...
aeffertz
8/4/2020 10:19am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 10:40am
I was thinking about this before as well. If I wanted to print and sell a T Shirt of, for example, the Glen Helen layout and have it say Glen Helen underneath it, is that legal? No logos or anything but I wasn’t sure if the track layout is protected under a copyright law or something.
Spudnut
8/4/2020 11:14am
cbarber wrote:
Is said quad four individual singles or you got tabletops involved? asking for a friend...
2 tables equals quad in my book 😛😛
Alex.434
8/4/2020 11:15am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 11:16am
kkawboy14 wrote:
No, For example the F1 track here in Austin took a corner or say “section” from a bunch of tracks and made 1 track out of...
No, For example the F1 track here in Austin took a corner or say “section” from a bunch of tracks and made 1 track out of connecting it all together.
Ugh. Yeah, and that track (COTA) is pretty awful to ride as a result. It's a disjointed mess. Just as you start to flow in one section... it clashes with the next. Don't get me started on the whole infield full of slow, stupid, boring corners.

Hermann Tilke should never be allowed to design another circuit. He keeps designing these awful F1 tracks which are designed to 'stop and go' the cars because F1 'only passes on the brakes'.

I remember when one of my buddies (multi time US #1) rode COTA for the first time and I was all excited to hear his opinion. He was like 'meh' and I just couldn't believe it... until I rode it... (pic below at a tire test on a stock 600RR press bike)

What a damn shame.

early
Fantasy
2212th
8/4/2020 11:20am
Alex.434 wrote:
Ugh. Yeah, and that track (COTA) is pretty awful to ride as a result. It's a disjointed mess. Just as you start to flow in one...
Ugh. Yeah, and that track (COTA) is pretty awful to ride as a result. It's a disjointed mess. Just as you start to flow in one section... it clashes with the next. Don't get me started on the whole infield full of slow, stupid, boring corners.

Hermann Tilke should never be allowed to design another circuit. He keeps designing these awful F1 tracks which are designed to 'stop and go' the cars because F1 'only passes on the brakes'.

I remember when one of my buddies (multi time US #1) rode COTA for the first time and I was all excited to hear his opinion. He was like 'meh' and I just couldn't believe it... until I rode it... (pic below at a tire test on a stock 600RR press bike)

What a damn shame.

How about that ridiculous turn 1?
CivBars
8/4/2020 12:08pm
As far as names, 4 Peaks, 10 Commandments, Elevator, Quadzilla and maybe a couple of others that I've heard from multiply different tracks.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/4/2020 12:39pm
Mike Larocco gets a nickel anytime someone mentions the leap
8/4/2020 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 1:35pm
You can trademark the name of a track feature. The F1 track Spa-Francorchamps has trademarked numerous named track features like "Eau Rouge."

You can't prevent someone from making a paved corner exactly like Eau Rouge but you can prevent someone from using the name "Eau Rouge" in a manner that might conflict with said trademark.

The owners of RedBud could probably trademark the name "LaRocco's Leap" but doubt they have any financial interest to do so. They can't trademark or "patent" two large mounds of dirt separated by a distance of 120', however.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/4/2020 1:41pm
You can trademark the name of a track feature. The F1 track Spa-Francorchamps has trademarked numerous named track features like "Eau Rouge." You can't prevent someone...
You can trademark the name of a track feature. The F1 track Spa-Francorchamps has trademarked numerous named track features like "Eau Rouge."

You can't prevent someone from making a paved corner exactly like Eau Rouge but you can prevent someone from using the name "Eau Rouge" in a manner that might conflict with said trademark.

The owners of RedBud could probably trademark the name "LaRocco's Leap" but doubt they have any financial interest to do so. They can't trademark or "patent" two large mounds of dirt separated by a distance of 120', however.
Ooop now you owe him a nickle!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
8/4/2020 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 3:06pm
Jbulz wrote:
Mike Larocco gets a nickel anytime someone mentions the leap
Jeff Emig’s piggybank is safe!

“Parking lot jump”
RalphS
8/4/2020 3:23pm
aeffertz wrote:
I was thinking about this before as well. If I wanted to print and sell a T Shirt of, for example, the Glen Helen layout and...
I was thinking about this before as well. If I wanted to print and sell a T Shirt of, for example, the Glen Helen layout and have it say Glen Helen underneath it, is that legal? No logos or anything but I wasn’t sure if the track layout is protected under a copyright law or something.
Likely not registered but technically you still need their approval to print that shirt as they could easily claim the rights and go after you however there is no money in a handful of shirts so you could print yours and get away.

You could also print massive amounts and they maybe don't care but if at some point they do you'll need a lawyer and so forth
aeffertz
8/5/2020 8:32pm
aeffertz wrote:
I was thinking about this before as well. If I wanted to print and sell a T Shirt of, for example, the Glen Helen layout and...
RalphS wrote:
Likely not registered but technically you still need their approval to print that shirt as they could easily claim the rights and go after you however...
Likely not registered but technically you still need their approval to print that shirt as they could easily claim the rights and go after you however there is no money in a handful of shirts so you could print yours and get away.

You could also print massive amounts and they maybe don't care but if at some point they do you'll need a lawyer and so forth
Well that goes back to the original question. Do the tracks own the layout design or not? Why would I have to ask for permission if they didn't? I don't know if you're guessing or not but that was kinda what I assumed... Could I sell this on a poster or t-shirt? Or is this a protected design?

I have a few cool ideas around this premise, not quite that basic but like I said I don't want to get sued over a couple hundred bucks if the track layouts are a protected thing.
kkawboy14
8/5/2020 8:44pm
disbanded wrote:
cbarber wrote:
Anyone one who crashes on your patented quad can sue you for faulty design 😂
RCMXracing
8/5/2020 10:31pm
aeffertz wrote:
Well that goes back to the original question. Do the tracks own the layout design or not? Why would I have to ask for permission if...
Well that goes back to the original question. Do the tracks own the layout design or not? Why would I have to ask for permission if they didn't? I don't know if you're guessing or not but that was kinda what I assumed... Could I sell this on a poster or t-shirt? Or is this a protected design?

I have a few cool ideas around this premise, not quite that basic but like I said I don't want to get sued over a couple hundred bucks if the track layouts are a protected thing.
Melted microscope.
kage173
8/6/2020 4:52am
disbanded wrote:
Do your claims include or exclude table tops in counting toward the 4 mounds required to be a Quad?
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/6/2020 9:02am
disbanded wrote:
kage173 wrote:
Do your claims include or exclude table tops in counting toward the 4 mounds required to be a Quad?
If Ralph Shaheen says it's a QUAD then someone owes me money!
Marty1028
Fantasy
1104th
8/6/2020 12:33pm
I'm pretty sure back when ironman was added MX sports did not like how they built it and wasn't to their spec.... that's just the local rumor I got told, no clue if it is true or not.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
8/6/2020 12:38pm
aeffertz wrote:
RalphS wrote:
Likely not registered but technically you still need their approval to print that shirt as they could easily claim the rights and go after you however...

aeffertz wrote:
Well that goes back to the original question. Do the tracks own the layout design or not? Why would I have to ask for permission if...

Not my area of expertise at all, but this seems pretty straight forward to me
the layout would not be trademarked and if your design was only the layout, it would not matter at all.
Adding the name "glen helen" is where it seems like you might get into trouble.
aeffertz
8/6/2020 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2020 1:13pm
Not my area of expertise at all, but this seems pretty straight forward to me the layout would not be trademarked and if your design was...
Not my area of expertise at all, but this seems pretty straight forward to me
the layout would not be trademarked and if your design was only the layout, it would not matter at all.
Adding the name "glen helen" is where it seems like you might get into trouble.
Well here’s the thing... ‘Glen Helen’ is just a regional park in California and just so happens to be the shorthand of Glen Helen Raceway. ‘Glen Helen Raceway’ probably falls under some sort of protection which is why I’d exclude Raceway.

Or another example would be like Unadilla. That’s just a city in New York, not the registered name of the track. Or Millville vs Millville MX/Spring Creek MX. This is all hypothetical, of course.
byke
8/6/2020 1:00pm
I was kind of picturing something like a track copying Loretta's layout five miles away and then taking paid riders a week/month before the actual Loretta's event as a method of "training"(i.e. cheating). I suspect that would become a legal issue at some point. The layout design on a shirt/sticker like they do for all the road courses is an interesting take on the question. Note that the profits are so small on shirts/stickers that a cease and desist would always be the first step in legal action, so you kind of have a get-out-f-jail-free card, as long as you actually cease and desist.
ElliotB16
8/7/2020 6:01am
byke wrote:
I was kind of picturing something like a track copying Loretta's layout five miles away and then taking paid riders a week/month before the actual Loretta's...
I was kind of picturing something like a track copying Loretta's layout five miles away and then taking paid riders a week/month before the actual Loretta's event as a method of "training"(i.e. cheating). I suspect that would become a legal issue at some point. The layout design on a shirt/sticker like they do for all the road courses is an interesting take on the question. Note that the profits are so small on shirts/stickers that a cease and desist would always be the first step in legal action, so you kind of have a get-out-f-jail-free card, as long as you actually cease and desist.
Moto x has a Loretta’s replica track
tingo
8/7/2020 6:46am
Alex.434 wrote:
Ugh. Yeah, and that track (COTA) is pretty awful to ride as a result. It's a disjointed mess. Just as you start to flow in one...

What a damn shame.

For what it's worth, COTA was designed for F1...and many of the F1 drivers love the track.

Post a reply to: Do tracks own their design layout or unique obstacles?

The Latest