Do the redesigned Tech 7s hold up better than previous versions?

Suns_PSD
6/9/2015 10:21am Edited Date/Time 12/7/2018 5:21pm
I need a new pair of boots and was leaning towards the AStar Tech 7s but I know they sort of fell apart on people a few years back. Did AStar fix those issues with the redesign for 2014?

Thanks.
|
bigcat
6/9/2015 10:38am
I love my Tech 7's.. I've had them for about 1.5 yrs. and no problems whatsoever.
I wear them for xc and moto so they take a lot of abuse.
Great boots. buy them you'll be happy you did...
6/9/2015 12:02pm
Yes. Had the old style 2 years ago, rode quite a bit. Ended up losing straps and the soles got chewed up.

Replaced them with brand new ones about 3 months ago. So far wearing much better than the old ones, time considered. I think these look better 3-4 months in than the old ones did 3-4 months in.

Also the new closure buckles knock the ti*s off the old style. These are MUCH better and MUCH easier to work with. They're also more secure.
racinstation
Fantasy
2024th
6/9/2015 4:06pm
Yes, the new design is much better. Have had a pair all last year and this season. The previous style would have been shot by now.
6/9/2015 4:27pm
Loved my trusty Tech 8's, but couldn't justify the price difference and went with the Tech 7's.. Love em.

The Shop

Spooner
6/9/2015 5:41pm
I'm running the new ones and they are amazing, especially for the price. Super comfortable and holding up well too. The new straps are worlds above the old ones.
Neil_Romero
6/9/2015 5:53pm
No. I went with the Tech 7's because they were the closest thing to the Jett boots which I could not find anymore here in the US.
i have put about 30 hours on these and they are super comfortable...BUT the soles are coming off in small chunks, the right side insole (I think that's what you would call the area between your ankle and the bike) has torn, and one of the buckles -the lowest one on the left foot, has bent and barely buckles now.
I look forward to being able to run my Jett's someday or I'll be switching to Sidi.
logan_140
6/9/2015 7:12pm
No. I went with the Tech 7's because they were the closest thing to the Jett boots which I could not find anymore here in the...
No. I went with the Tech 7's because they were the closest thing to the Jett boots which I could not find anymore here in the US.
i have put about 30 hours on these and they are super comfortable...BUT the soles are coming off in small chunks, the right side insole (I think that's what you would call the area between your ankle and the bike) has torn, and one of the buckles -the lowest one on the left foot, has bent and barely buckles now.
I look forward to being able to run my Jett's someday or I'll be switching to Sidi.

Best investment I've made in awhile love my new sidis
jeffro503
6/9/2015 8:31pm
Hard to even think about wearing the Alpinestars boots any more compared to the Gaerne and Sidi boots. I used to wear nothing but Tech 8's and then when all the boots started being made in China , I couldn't get 6 months out of them! Glad to hear the new ones are doing a lot better. I'm happy with my SG-10's and can't see myself wearing another boot. They are just simply awesome in every way ( except break in....that kinda sucked! )
Canadad
6/10/2015 5:06am
The buckles are much better than the previous versions but we had issues with feet slipping off the footpegs and not being able to grip the bike. The soles are molded plastic and offer little grip especially if you ride on the balls of your feet. The inside of the boot also has little grip to "pinch" the bike. We replaced footpegs on my daughter's bike but still had issues with the feet coming off so we recently switched to Gaernes and have had no issues. You can still find SG10s at deep discounts and they are a far superior boot in my opinion.
6/10/2015 5:56am
I have more than a full season a a pair of 2014s tec7s . awesome boot! I havnt had any issues what so ever with the soles chunking or wearing, and the inside of my boots still look and feel new. (I clean and take care of them pretty well tho)Very comfortable!

There might be better .....but nothing out there is $100-$200 better IMO. Not even close!
Suns_PSD
6/10/2015 8:40am
Thanks for the info guys.

My Jetts are coming apart (broken buckle and inner sole) after about 4 years and it's time for a replacement.

i can't wear any boot with a seperate sole as it makes the boot too large overall and it effects my shifting. They also end up being really heavy.

For some dumb reason I converted a pair fo Sidis to Supermoto and then they sold with the SM bike. Pretty sure I'd still be using those boots 10 years later. Can't quite bare to part with $600 for boots that I use at most 4 hours a month these days.

I support my local shop so I'll try on some Tech 7s this Friday and make a decision at that time.

Did I see some used gear place at one time around here?
dmac1
6/10/2015 10:51am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2015 10:54am
I switched from Tech 8s to Tech 7s cuz I needed a lower profile toe for shifting and my son really likes his older version of the 7.

I concur with previous post that they have a kinda slick sole. Going to try some new pegs. I also don't much care for the upper portion of the boot that you can grip the bike with.... its pretty slick vs leather on the old ones. Another minor gripe is they squeak...drives me nuts. I tried silicone spray, which worked for a short while. Neither dusty or pretty muddy fixed the squeak (comes from the area where the boots hinge and is plastic/plastic rubbing.

The buckles are a good upgrade vs the previous model and I like the toe profile as its even lower. They are also noticeably lighter than the older version. All in all, for the price they seem ok and for 4 hours per month, they should be more than fine.

Anybody have a solution for the squeaks (besides not walking! LOL)
Suns_PSD
6/26/2015 9:59am
I walked in to my local and favorite KTM Dealer, TJs, and they had my size and preferred color in stock of the Tech 7s so I bought them on the spot.

The boots are by far and away the most comfortable and lightest/ slimmest boots I have ever used. The tow box is notably smaller than other boots which is a big deal when trying to get your toes underneath a shifter.

I do wish the soles were a bit grippier however. Not an issue, but I can tell they are hard and plastic.

If they hold up for a few years, they are the best boots I have ever owned.
12/7/2018 5:21pm
I had been running the Tech7 for a few years as a strict motocross boot and it’s possible that mine held up with no issues cause I wear a size 5. I found that when gripping my 250f they are almost like Velcro to the frame. Shifting never an issue nor finding the brake the toe box is a bit chunky. When i hopped on my kids 85 felt like a completely different boot so this may relate to the bigger the boot the more riders might be dissatisfied. Just got a pair of 2019 Tech7S boots two weeks ago and started got back into single track enduros. The boot has not let me down fits exact size and feels like a quality sneaker. I did notice the toe box is slimmer and the calf area is more snug which I like as I now feel myself turning more with my legs sense there isn’t much sitting in enduro racing. Hope this helps someone. Boots are one of those things that your kind of stuck with unless your rich!! Good luck!

Post a reply to: Do the redesigned Tech 7s hold up better than previous versions?

The Latest