Do taller pros' use higher bars?

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2013 6:20am
I remember DV said at one point he used a higher bar, but standard seat? Preston seems to use both higher seat and bars. You know if any other tall riders alter the ergo? I under the impression the stock bikes' were built for people shorter than the average?

Any observation? I usually alter my bikes for my 6'1", hight but maybe that's the wrong approach, and more in my head?
|
peelout
3/16/2011 4:25pm
when i was younger and shorter i always had my bars a high bend and way forward, now that i'm 6'2 i like a middle bend and rolled back a little bit.

might be because my balls get smaller everytime i watch bubba quad something, but i like the slightly rolled back feel
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
3/16/2011 4:43pm
i am 6'2 i got a high bend, and i push them way up... not only does it feel better, it also makes you stand up more on the bike..
mxb2
3/16/2011 4:49pm
I think the new yzf s and kxf s are better suited for taller riders, IMO the Windham and cr bend are good bends for tallers dudes! I m almost 6 ' 2" and those renthal bends work for me.
Sparkalounger
3/16/2011 4:54pm
6' 2" former wannabe pro.

standard bars same angle as forks.

adding height and rolling them forward drastically changes the ergos and makes a bike very twitchy

The Shop

3/16/2011 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2011 5:01pm
6' 2" former wannabe pro. standard bars same angle as forks. adding height and rolling them forward drastically changes the ergos and makes a bike very...

adding height and rolling them forward drastically changes the ergos and makes a bike very twitchy
I've been advised that is a bad combo if you case a jump.

I'm 6'2 and my favorite set up was on 125's Renthal Windham fat bars with 1 1/8th adapters (add like an inch of height) I felt like I could get further up on the bike and not feel cramped while in the attack position, and be much more aggressive towards the inside in corners.
mx_563
3/16/2011 5:04pm
I'm not sure if they are still available but there used to be a Jimmy Button bend Renthal available that was pretty tall. I assume Jimmy used it.

I've always been interested in this and tried to study the bikes of Larry Ward, Damon Huffman, and even Ryan Dungey. My observations suggest that few tall Pros are making major changes (Preston comes to mind as an exception). I think most guys have some subtle things modified but the bar bend itself (which seems to be the primary area of interest in this thread) does not appear out of the ordinary. Again, that's just my observation.

BTW: I'm 6'2" and use a Ricky Carmicheal Tall bend. I don't roll it forward much though (anymore). It's maybe a hair forward but almost straight with the forks. I also have a footpeg lowering kit. I've used tall seats before but not now. I noticed whenever I would go back to a regular seat, my cornering felt better...like my center of gravity was lower. Maybe it was in my head. I would consider using one again but it doesn't seem as critical as the bars.
Sparkalounger
3/16/2011 5:14pm
6' 2" former wannabe pro. standard bars same angle as forks. adding height and rolling them forward drastically changes the ergos and makes a bike very...

I've been advised that is a bad combo if you case a jump. I'm 6'2 and my favorite set up was on 125's Renthal Windham fat...

I'm 6'2 and my favorite set up was on 125's Renthal Windham fat bars with 1 1/8th adapters (add like an inch of height) I felt like I could get further up on the bike and not feel cramped while in the attack position, and be much more aggressive towards the inside in corners.
thats kinda funny... i don't set up bikes to work best when casing a jump.

at the end of the day it's whatever you are comfortable with.

but, the fact is that the more forward your bars are from stock the more "twitchy" your bike will be.

More times than not (but not always) proper riding position is what makes difference. one 6' 2" guy can look A LOT taller on a bike than another guy the same height with proper technique...
3/16/2011 5:22pm

I've been advised that is a bad combo if you case a jump. I'm 6'2 and my favorite set up was on 125's Renthal Windham fat...

thats kinda funny... i don't set up bikes to work best when casing a jump. [b] at the end of the day it's whatever you are...
thats kinda funny... i don't set up bikes to work best when casing a jump.

at the end of the day it's whatever you are comfortable with.

but, the fact is that the more forward your bars are from stock the more "twitchy" your bike will be.

More times than not (but not always) proper riding position is what makes difference. one 6' 2" guy can look A LOT taller on a bike than another guy the same height with proper technique...
Neither do I Wink , but I was just passing it on. I'd rather see you case it and ride away, opposed to casing it and pullin a kiss of death over your bars while holding it wide open (from trying to hold on) and jumping a 5ft tall berm (figure out the rest) like my buddy Teddy did his first time on my track.
mx295
3/16/2011 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2011 6:53pm
I had one of Prestons 450s .. The bars weren't to high but they were really wide
Photobucket
Factoryphoto
3/16/2011 5:33pm
I like flat bars with minimal sweep and height.. Im 6'3 and on all my bikes I run MC bend twinwalls with 10mm + bar risers.. Always run fastway lowboy pegs also..I used to run a tall seat but after many riding sessions of switching from tall to standard seat height I liked the standard better. Whats crazy is all through the 90's I rode and raced CR 500's with stock bars and pegs and if you ever sat on a cr 500 you know how cramped and tight they are.. Now at 40 years old and slower than ive ever been lol im spoiled with the after market parts you can put on the bike to adjust things around. I just got a 2011 yz450 and the stock clamps have forward mounting holes in them which is very nice..Those and the low pegs make a comfy ride for me.
Good luck
Hoss
Crush
3/16/2011 5:34pm
I'm 6'6" ...

I'm 6'6"... I run a extra tall SDG seat, fastways, bar riser at 20mm and the Renthal RC high fatbars... They are really tall but less sweep than the CR bars...
CamP
3/16/2011 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2011 6:11pm
I'm 6'-5" and run RC Highs with the stock seat on my CRF. The RC High is 119mm tall with 54mm of sweep.
DrSweden
3/16/2011 6:47pm
Good input folks. Please continue!

Interesting observation mx_563 if that is correct, it kind of answer my question?

Pretty interesting that Preston didn't have high bar, I'm pretty sure I saw a tall seat on his scooter, and I just assumed he also he had a higher bar?

I get the feeling like factoryphoto mentioned d that if you are fit, the OEM bike migh be ok, it's when you become old and fat you tend to buy all the aftermarket parts to compensate! Smile

I have the RC High bend right now with pro taper bar mount with standard hight but with 5 mm forward offset. I noticed right away that the bike acted totally different from the stock settings. Very nice on straight and in jumps, but understeered in corners and the front end became very twitchy. I pulled the bar back some, and that feeling disappeared but still the understeer. Is it more present just because you have your hands about one inch higher in the air? Probably because your back and central mass gets tilted backward the more comfy you, and taking a corner with a shopper is a bad idea!

Maybe it's just enough to have standard bars but 5 mm forward offset? Then you would get rid of the feeling having the bars in your belly, and also your weight would be more forward, better cornering?

Seems I need at least 3 different set ups before I can make up my mind...
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
3/16/2011 7:08pm
i'm 5'8" and run tall flexx bars. Keeps my back from hurting on those long enduros.
FIREfish148
3/16/2011 7:11pm
I'm 6'4'' and I run Renthal fatbars w/ the RC high bend along w/ an sdg tall seat. I used to run a complete stock yz 250f which was comfortable untill I grew about 6 inches.
redrider400
3/16/2011 7:12pm
mxb2 wrote:
I think the new yzf s and kxf s are better suited for taller riders, IMO the Windham and cr bend are good bends for tallers...
I think the new yzf s and kxf s are better suited for taller riders, IMO the Windham and cr bend are good bends for tallers dudes! I m almost 6 ' 2" and those renthal bends work for me.
You are correct on that. I am a total Honda guy, but I am 6'3 and couldn't get used to my 09 crf450 even with a tall seat and tall bars. So, I have a 2010 yz450 now and it is awesome for me. I still hope Honda goes back to similar ergos of the 07-08 crf's. I have the RC high bend and they are perfect with a tall seat.
dlowe102
3/17/2011 7:41am
I like flat bars with minimal sweep and height.. Im 6'3 and on all my bikes I run MC bend twinwalls with 10mm + bar risers...
I like flat bars with minimal sweep and height.. Im 6'3 and on all my bikes I run MC bend twinwalls with 10mm + bar risers.. Always run fastway lowboy pegs also..I used to run a tall seat but after many riding sessions of switching from tall to standard seat height I liked the standard better. Whats crazy is all through the 90's I rode and raced CR 500's with stock bars and pegs and if you ever sat on a cr 500 you know how cramped and tight they are.. Now at 40 years old and slower than ive ever been lol im spoiled with the after market parts you can put on the bike to adjust things around. I just got a 2011 yz450 and the stock clamps have forward mounting holes in them which is very nice..Those and the low pegs make a comfy ride for me.
Good luck
Hoss
The emig/stewart twinwall has the same bend as the MC bend except the emig/stewart is 10mm higher.
So you could run the stock hieght clamps with the emig/stewart wich would be more accesible
redalert144
Fantasy
3083rd
3/17/2011 7:59am
I am 6'4 and Tag 971s Windhams I think. I have an 09 crf450 and used to run my bars about even with the forks. The problem that I had was that I kept hitting my knee on the levers( I don't run knee pads or braces) and it hurt. So I rolled them up so they are vertical with the ground, got used to it that way, and haven't changed since. stock seat with a bump and stock pegs
motomike137
3/17/2011 8:20am
I'm 6'1" and use Windham bend Pro Tapers with the bars moved forward along with a tall seat foam. The taller/flatter bars along with the positioning make it so easy to stand and put me in the perfect "push up" position when in the jockey position. The taller seat foam (usually an inch in the middle and just a few mm's at the rear) makes my seat to peg relationship just right and adds a little "suspension" if you will.
DrSweden
3/17/2011 5:59pm
Again. Tnx for the input. I just rode, and I changed the handlebar (RC high) in perfect line with the fork, which made turing SO much better. Since they are higher than the oem, standing up wasn't that traumatic.

But, what really made a hugh difference was that I put the levels in old school mode, as in more down instead of totally horizontal. I cant remember who gave me that info, it was on another forum.

Anyway tnx again lads.

RC High seems to be the shit for us over 6'!

Smile
Shawn142
3/17/2011 6:41pm
I've used a 1 inch bar raiser and standard bend Renthals since I was 14. Even at 6'2" that allows me to stand with my back straight on the pegs instead of hunched. I ride the front of the bike a lot and that makes it comfortable.
redalert144
Fantasy
3083rd
3/17/2011 6:52pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I've used a 1 inch bar raiser and standard bend Renthals since I was 14. Even at 6'2" that allows me to stand with my back...
I've used a 1 inch bar raiser and standard bend Renthals since I was 14. Even at 6'2" that allows me to stand with my back straight on the pegs instead of hunched. I ride the front of the bike a lot and that makes it comfortable.
Where did you get that riser? seems really big and right up my alley
DrSweden
3/17/2011 7:38pm
I have one of those bar risers from Tusk I believe. You can really decide what hight you want. Anything from 0,5 mm to 2,5 cm if I remember correctly. They stop building them though. People complained that the mounts moved to easliy when you fell. At least that was what I was told from the Tusk people. I managed to find some leftovers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HANDLE-BAR-RISERS-7-8-DIRT-BIKE-DRZ-KTM-…

Ebay link above seems to be the same stuff? If the link doesn't work search for:

HANDLE BAR RISERS 7/8 DIRT BIKE.

If these don't fit, you can probably by mine for less! Smile
Shawn142
3/17/2011 7:56pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I've used a 1 inch bar raiser and standard bend Renthals since I was 14. Even at 6'2" that allows me to stand with my back...
Father is a machinist so they're custom. If you know the radius measurements they're really easy to have made. The link DrSweden posted looks to be pretty much exactly what he made.
redalert144
Fantasy
3083rd
3/17/2011 8:11pm
DrSweden wrote:
I have one of those bar risers from Tusk I believe. You can really decide what hight you want. Anything from 0,5 mm to 2,5 cm...
I have one of those bar risers from Tusk I believe. You can really decide what hight you want. Anything from 0,5 mm to 2,5 cm if I remember correctly. They stop building them though. People complained that the mounts moved to easliy when you fell. At least that was what I was told from the Tusk people. I managed to find some leftovers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HANDLE-BAR-RISERS-7-8-DIRT-BIKE-DRZ-KTM-…

Ebay link above seems to be the same stuff? If the link doesn't work search for:

HANDLE BAR RISERS 7/8 DIRT BIKE.

If these don't fit, you can probably by mine for less! Smile
Thanks, I'll try searching for my 1 1/8 bars, always wanted taller bars, was about to order the pastrana fmx ones in hope to get the right feel
kawboy388
3/17/2011 8:23pm
Tag,Applied, and Pro Taper have those tall mounts also, they carry them at Cycle Gear.
CamP
3/17/2011 9:41pm
Thanks, I'll try searching for my 1 1/8 bars, always wanted taller bars, was about to order the pastrana fmx ones in hope to get the...
Thanks, I'll try searching for my 1 1/8 bars, always wanted taller bars, was about to order the pastrana fmx ones in hope to get the right feel
Pastrana FMX bars are cut 1" narrower than a normal bar. Unless you ride in tight trees, it's not the perfect tall guy bar. The RC High is almost identical to the Pastrana FMX, but with a normal width.
3/18/2011 2:12am
6'3" barefoot. run stock kawi green bars in my lap (until they are FUBAR, then borrow something), with levers down so when im hanging off the back of the bike to make room for my legs I can still manage to keep my elbows up......ooops sorry its not '91 anymore. Smile
3/18/2011 2:26am
I'm 6'3" and on my bike I always ran the Honda High Bend bar with some aftermarket BRP Hi Rise triple clamps. Worked fine for me...that was on my 02 CR 250which has a small frame.....I wouldn't mess with lowering my footpegs because I wear a size 12 1/2 and didn want to catch my feet in the ruts/ground on the face of a jump...You just have to mirror a taller rider's style, KDub, DV, Dungey etc. Never cut the seat either.
DrSweden
3/18/2011 6:23am
This guy could deliver anything it seems. He gave me the pro taper 1 1/8 bar mounts (with 5 mm offset), he also gave me the RC high bend despite the ad only promotes Pro Taper. He even gave me a black renthal bar pad that I asked for. plus grips for 124 including shipping, and I got it within 4 days.

Instead of the offset he can offer those risers you put in the OEM bar mounts. But personally I think that's not the way to go if you are not like 6'5" or something!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370490356…

PRO TAPER CR HIGH BEND HANDLEBAR/MOUNT/PAD/GRIP COMBO

Fast shipping and very good communication!

Post a reply to: Do taller pros' use higher bars?

The Latest