Do pros have Sportbike Prohibition Clauses in their contracts?

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
It’s pretty common for pro athletes of other sports to have clauses in their contracts that ban riding motorcycles altogether. Michael Jordan, for example, had the restriction in his Bulls contract after it turned out he had a history with sportbikes.

It’s a little odd that pros making a living racing motorcycles are hardly ever seen on any streetbike other than the rare Grom or cruiser, so i suspect it’s because they have some type of clause in their contracts that bans riding on the street. Does anybody have any definitive info on this?
|
NJKawi913
11/19/2019 7:27am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2019 7:28am
I had a little bit of pro sport contract expeirence. What most contracts have are clauses that if met would void the team or employer of having to pay out any salary or garunteed money. These pretty much say that any high risk activity you participate in and don't disclose can void your contract. Disclosure is the biggest emphasis, as most pro athlete think they can hide their part time hobbies, until that hobby bites them in the ass
mac3-d
11/19/2019 8:07am
Back in the 2 stroke era a 125cc gp racer was not allowed to jet ski, reason being blisters
11/19/2019 8:26am
I don’t know a single person who rides dirt bikes that also rides street bikes. Riding a motorcycle on the pavement with other idiot asshole humans is just plain stupid.
11/19/2019 8:31am
I don’t know a single person who rides dirt bikes that also rides street bikes. Riding a motorcycle on the pavement with other idiot asshole humans...
I don’t know a single person who rides dirt bikes that also rides street bikes. Riding a motorcycle on the pavement with other idiot asshole humans is just plain stupid.
I know a ton of people who ride both, variety is the spice of life. No different than racing MX than going on a trail ride, minus the dipshits in cars who run you off the road, (which has only happened once in my 35 years of riding.) With that being said, I have had more out of control jackasses on dirt bikes take me out than other guys I ride on the street with.......

The Shop

Uncle Tony
11/19/2019 8:40am
Man I can’t even think of riding a street bike around here, I work at a bike shop and at least once a month someone gets killed or badly hurt on the street, you can’t even ride a bicycle without taking a chance of getting hit

I stay off road with my motorcycle and bicycle
11/19/2019 11:14am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Man I can’t even think of riding a street bike around here, I work at a bike shop and at least once a month someone gets...
Man I can’t even think of riding a street bike around here, I work at a bike shop and at least once a month someone gets killed or badly hurt on the street, you can’t even ride a bicycle without taking a chance of getting hit

I stay off road with my motorcycle and bicycle
Yeah, bicycles are a whole different story, some assholes will intentionally screw with cyclists, just cause they get aroused by guys in spandex and it freaks them out. Hell, maybe streetbikes too, if they are wearing assless leather chaps.....
AH387
11/19/2019 11:18am
I don’t know a single person who rides dirt bikes that also rides street bikes. Riding a motorcycle on the pavement with other idiot asshole humans...
I do (Yam R6) but you do make a good point. For as many MX friends as I have, almost none of them also ride street. I have 1 of my MX friends that has a Ducati and we ride together (live very close to each other). We know a couple older guys that have Harleys. That's about it. Very few.
DE262
11/19/2019 11:18am
Some contracts do in fact have certain "custom clauses" written in.
gt80rider
11/19/2019 11:32am
U don't know me... But I mx.... I dual sport... I mini bike... I adv... And I have a dedicated street bike.. mx is my true love, but hopping on a mini (think z125) and tooling around on local streets is a close second...
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
11/19/2019 11:36am
The last track day at Willow Springs had a well know mx'er out there, from what I was told he was "Very fast for a non pavement guy" and was very surprised how fast a bunch of "old guys" were... Laughing
skypig
11/19/2019 3:10pm
I’m pretty sure my employer would ban Mountain Bike riding if they could.

There are great tracks next to the accomodation and many of us keep mentally and physically fit by riding after our shift.

I’m in the middle of a few months off work - following surgery to re-attach a Hamstring tendon.

On a personal level, I seem to have a choice:
Keep safe, get diabetes and depression.
Or
Try to mitigate the not insignificant risks of riding off road. (14yo brain in 50+ body doesn’t help.)

My new bike arrived while I’m healing, if that’s a clue to my decision.
Dropbear
11/20/2019 4:50pm
Yeah, bicycles are a whole different story, some assholes will intentionally screw with cyclists, just cause they get aroused by guys in spandex and it freaks...
Yeah, bicycles are a whole different story, some assholes will intentionally screw with cyclists, just cause they get aroused by guys in spandex and it freaks them out. Hell, maybe streetbikes too, if they are wearing assless leather chaps.....
Ha ha, yeah it is weird how much notice the wannabe tough guys in hi-viz take notice of guys in Lycra. Protesteth too much?
11/20/2019 5:02pm
sumdood wrote:
The last track day at Willow Springs had a well know mx'er out there, from what I was told he was "Very fast for a non...
The last track day at Willow Springs had a well know mx'er out there, from what I was told he was "Very fast for a non pavement guy" and was very surprised how fast a bunch of "old guys" were... Laughing
Barcia? If so that was an Astars day so maybe slightly different.
DanDunes818
11/20/2019 5:12pm
This has always been my thoughts exactly and the thoughts of many people I grew up with in the motocross community. Because most of us have raced since the day we threw our first leg over a dirt bike, it's all we know and last thing most of us wanted to do was do that on the streets with cars all around us.

Post a reply to: Do pros have Sportbike Prohibition Clauses in their contracts?

The Latest