Do most people really do this??

Robgvx
9/10/2020 2:18pm
so after reading this thread and already assuming my chain needed to be tightened, I popped open my owners manual (2019 ktm 450) to see what...
so after reading this thread and already assuming my chain needed to be tightened, I popped open my owners manual (2019 ktm 450) to see what they recommend what the chain slack should be. It said 55-58mm. that seems really loose to me.
Whatever happened to ‘three fingers at the back of the chain slider’?
zehn
9/10/2020 2:20pm
Robgvx wrote:
Whatever happened to ‘three fingers at the back of the chain slider’?
I just measured and 3 fingers for me is 57-60 mm. I've always done 3 fingers
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3545th
9/10/2020 3:36pm
the finger method is what i use also. I guess I have small fingers and have been running my chain tight. ill make a tool that measures 55 mm i guess.
brian9
9/10/2020 3:57pm
Today I needed to take off the shock and forks. After the shock was removed, I took off the front wheel and bike almost fell off the stand. Remembering this post from yesterday, I threw a few bungees around the fender and rotor and grabbed something heavy to put in the seat. Worked great--bike stabilized.

So I wonder if they're doing this when they are swapping suspension?

The Shop

mooch
Fantasy
449th
9/10/2020 5:07pm
brian9 wrote:
Today I needed to take off the shock and forks. After the shock was removed, I took off the front wheel and bike almost fell off...
Today I needed to take off the shock and forks. After the shock was removed, I took off the front wheel and bike almost fell off the stand. Remembering this post from yesterday, I threw a few bungees around the fender and rotor and grabbed something heavy to put in the seat. Worked great--bike stabilized.

So I wonder if they're doing this when they are swapping suspension?

Wouldn't the effect be the same if you just had that vice laying there to weigh the back end down. In this case, what's the purpose of the strap?
brian9
9/10/2020 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 6:23pm
mooch wrote:
Wouldn't the effect be the same if you just had that vice laying there to weigh the back end down. In this case, what's the purpose...
Wouldn't the effect be the same if you just had that vice laying there to weigh the back end down. In this case, what's the purpose of the strap?
The vice probably is enough to hold it. I think the bungee cords would also hold it if the bike was situated on the stand better. When I took off the shock and then the front wheel, the bike almost hit the floor, I went into panic mode and just happened to have a few bungee cords within reach. Once applied, it was almost stable. I then noticed there was a vice nearby and that did the trick. That was probably the first time I ever removed forks and shock at the same time. Caught me off guard.
mx216
9/10/2020 8:10pm
so after reading this thread and already assuming my chain needed to be tightened, I popped open my owners manual (2019 ktm 450) to see what...
so after reading this thread and already assuming my chain needed to be tightened, I popped open my owners manual (2019 ktm 450) to see what they recommend what the chain slack should be. It said 55-58mm. that seems really loose to me.
Depends what gearing you are running. On those with a 13 tooth front sprocket and a 50 or 51 rear, should be 55mm right at the back of the chain slider. If you are running something like a 14 front with a 53 rear you will want it it at 60mm same location.
mx216
9/10/2020 8:13pm
the finger method is what i use also. I guess I have small fingers and have been running my chain tight. ill make a tool that...
the finger method is what i use also. I guess I have small fingers and have been running my chain tight. ill make a tool that measures 55 mm i guess.
A machinist rule thats reads MM is perfect. Can come in handy for other things too and is small and fits in a tool box without taking up really any room.
brian9
9/14/2020 3:36am
mooch wrote:
Wouldn't the effect be the same if you just had that vice laying there to weigh the back end down. In this case, what's the purpose...
I actually did remove the vice after the forks were removed. The bungee cords work great.

Post a reply to: Do most people really do this??

The Latest