Do it yourself re-valve?

3/26/2012 7:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2012 12:15pm
So I just picked up a bone stock 2004 cr250 with only around 7 total hours on the bike. I have never had my suspension revalved on any of my bikes due to lack of money. Once I sell my 2006 kx250 though I will have a little dough left over to get my suspension set up for my weight finnally. What I want to know is who sells the best for the price do it your self front and back suspension revalve. Racetech suspension has a kit for $169 front and $169 back suspension but is there anyone else that would be better for the price. I know a lot of you guys just send your suspension off to someone else to do it for you but I cant afford it and I think doing it myself will help me better understand how the suspension really works.
|
3/26/2012 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2012 8:02pm
Race tech is about as good dollar and quality as you will get. Also, look into doing your springs for your weight, that way your sag settings are right. I think there are a few places online that will help you figure out the right rate

here is race-tech spring rates with a calc
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/CR250R/2004
TX24
3/26/2012 8:16pm
Race Tech is good and will tell you the entire shim stack with good customer support. Forks are one thing. If your not careful when doing the shock and you take the nut off the shock shaft and screw it up, you'll hate yourself . Lots of videos out there.

The Shop

bvm111
3/26/2012 10:58pm
I highly recommend Race Tech, the instructions are easy to follow and it will demystify suspension theory .....seriously a 5 year old can do it! It took me a few times of trying different shim stacks but was amazed i ever rode stock suspension... The return on investment with properly set up suspenders far out weighs any motor mods you will ever do!
gfmoto
3/26/2012 11:42pm
Smart performance talk to Dave J he will hook you up!
3/27/2012 4:19am
Thanks for all the great info guys. This is probably going to sound like a stupid question but does the revalve kit include fork seals because the left fork on the bike is leaking pretty badly?
lumpy790
3/27/2012 5:35am
the RT kit has the pistons & a bunch of shims.

I have used RT kits and they do work well....but doing it your self is not easy as there is some intricate machining that has to be done and one slip is going to cost you several hundred dollars.

RT is not the only one out there.... Pro Action offers a drop in piston & shims that come pre assembled.
mtrehy
3/27/2012 5:47am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 5:49am
lumpy790 wrote:
the RT kit has the pistons & a bunch of shims. I have used RT kits and they do work well....but doing it your self is...
the RT kit has the pistons & a bunch of shims.

I have used RT kits and they do work well....but doing it your self is not easy as there is some intricate machining that has to be done and one slip is going to cost you several hundred dollars.

RT is not the only one out there.... Pro Action offers a drop in piston & shims that come pre assembled.
I don't consider drilling 1 small hole (not always necessary) and filing off some peening as "intricate machining""...

It's a piece of p!ss for anyone relatively mechanically minded.

Only issue you will have is bleeding and gassing the rear shock but you can use a decent foot pump just for the bleeding process and then get a garage to do the nitrogen for you if you don't have your own.

No, it won't come with fork seals unless you buy them also - pretty sure racetech would sell them.
3/27/2012 7:09am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 7:30am
You'll need a few specialty tools in order to revalve the forks and shocks. In addition to new seals and fork oil. It's a good investment long-term, but you'll probably wind up spending about the same to have someone do it when it's all said and done. Probably a little less. Doing your own suspension is a worthwhile endeavor, but doing it right and making sure you're working in a clean environment requires the appropriate tools and work area.

The Race-Tech book GuyB referenced is fantastic, but you need to have a pretty good grasp of mechanics and physics. The concepts are deep.
TX24
3/27/2012 7:20am
If your going to have the shock apart to change the shims, you might as well put in a shock oil and dust seal.
3/27/2012 3:21pm
Thanks for all the great information guys. I plan on revalving the suspension myself with help from my dad who is more mecanichally inclined than i am. I know it wont be easy but i think it will be a great way to learn about suspension components and how they work. When it comes to tools my dad is pretty good at making his own that work just as good or i can just borrow the appropriate tools from a friend.
bvm111
3/27/2012 3:57pm
Seriously, the "intricate" machining can be done with a large flat file... i am not joking when i said a 5 year old can do it! other than that I would recommend a digital caliper micrometer ( about 20 bucks) and a Inch Pound torque wrench for torquing the fork shim stacks and foot pound torque wrench for the shock main bolt. If you can follow simple directions you will have no problem... the first time taking the forks and shock apart is a bit intimidating, but, once you get the hang of it you can do it really quick and you will be wondering why you thought it was so difficult!
3/27/2012 4:26pm
Well i decided that im am going to do the fork seals on the bike and then ride it on stock suspension for awhile until i get a real good feel of the bike then i will do the full suspension revalve.
Hando
3/27/2012 5:15pm
id just keeep it stock and get the right springs if you need it...

you'd be surprised how good the stock stuff is once it's setup properly
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
3/27/2012 7:21pm
As most have said here, the Race Tech kits come with instructions and a DVD and are designed to be do-it-yourself kits.

You can check your spring rate and see if the current springs are right for you here. That is the first step to making sure you have the proper setup.

With the Race Tech Gold Valve Kit, you'll also get a valving setup personalized for you. If you have questions, Race Tech has technical support to help walk you through it.

Race Tech does sell seals and we have our own RT blend of oil as well.

Drop me an email to chris@racetech.com and I'll get you setup with a discount to make your experience a bit cheaper as well.
3/27/2012 7:28pm
I have done Race Tech stuff on my bikes, and was actually amazed at how well it did work. Should have did it way sooner than I did. Im going with RG3 on my 2012 450SX, but I wouldnt be afraid to try Race Tech again.

It was firm, but didnt spike, and had excellent bottoming resistance.
Highsider
3/27/2012 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2012 6:38am
I went the Race Tech route this time, but the first thing I asked for was my local RT installer's address!
Very pleased with all aspects. You can't go wrong with Race Tech.
3/28/2012 4:21am
As most have said here, the Race Tech kits come with instructions and a DVD and are designed to be do-it-yourself kits. You can check your...
As most have said here, the Race Tech kits come with instructions and a DVD and are designed to be do-it-yourself kits.

You can check your spring rate and see if the current springs are right for you here. That is the first step to making sure you have the proper setup.

With the Race Tech Gold Valve Kit, you'll also get a valving setup personalized for you. If you have questions, Race Tech has technical support to help walk you through it.

Race Tech does sell seals and we have our own RT blend of oil as well.

Drop me an email to chris@racetech.com and I'll get you setup with a discount to make your experience a bit cheaper as well.
when i decide to do the revalve i will definitely shoot you an email.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
3/28/2012 10:18am
when i decide to do the revalve i will definitely shoot you an email.
The offer was good for springs/seals/oil too. Always up for helping a fellow Vital member out.
lumpy790
3/28/2012 2:58pm
bvm111 wrote:
Seriously, the "intricate" machining can be done with a large flat file... i am not joking when i said a 5 year old can do it...
Seriously, the "intricate" machining can be done with a large flat file... i am not joking when i said a 5 year old can do it! other than that I would recommend a digital caliper micrometer ( about 20 bucks) and a Inch Pound torque wrench for torquing the fork shim stacks and foot pound torque wrench for the shock main bolt. If you can follow simple directions you will have no problem... the first time taking the forks and shock apart is a bit intimidating, but, once you get the hang of it you can do it really quick and you will be wondering why you thought it was so difficult!
I used to own a suspension shop so I got to see what others had screwed up but ... I did not say it could not be done .... I have had to try and fix other "mechanically inclined" peoples mistakes. One took a new shock shaft because they ground off to much.

Even for me the mid valve is a pain.
MR. X
3/28/2012 3:06pm
If you decide to revalve your bikes suspension, you should look to someone local who can meet you at the track to help you set it up properly, the best suspension in the world set up wrong is no match for even a stock suspension that is set up properly.
Highsider
3/28/2012 3:08pm
MR. X wrote:
If you decide to revalve your bikes suspension, you should look to someone local who can meet you at the track to help you set it...
If you decide to revalve your bikes suspension, you should look to someone local who can meet you at the track to help you set it up properly, the best suspension in the world set up wrong is no match for even a stock suspension that is set up properly.
Yes, that is another reason I chose Race Tech is the tech attends the same racetracks as I do.
I figured he can watch me during a race and make recommendations.
3/28/2012 3:19pm
The offer was good for springs/seals/oil too. Always up for helping a fellow Vital member out.
well i need to go ahead an order seals as and fork oil as soon as possible so i can get this bike to ride so ill shoot you an email like you said as soon as i get a chance to order them.
3/29/2012 12:15pm
You know, I have torn down my bikes done top ends, but suspension, I leave to the someone else! I could probably do the forks, but rear shock, no way!

Post a reply to: Do it yourself re-valve?

The Latest