Do any new (two-stroke) 250cc off-road/mx bikes still have spring forks? Ping?

Sierra Ranger
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 11:45pm
I'm thinking about picking up a new 250 two-stroke at some point. I'm watching Ping's video of the Husky 250 (sweet bike) and the first thing he does is replace the air forks with a spring conversion kit. It's crazy to me that you have to do that to a brand new bike costing almost $10k.
I'm thinking the revalved forks on my 2004 RM250 are probably better than some of the forks rolling off the production line 16 years later! Makes me wonder if I should bother with a new bike or just keep riding this antique. I'm racing senior class hare scrambles and maybe a little mx if I get brave.
|
yz133rider
4/21/2020 11:16am
Sherco, beta, tm, yz x models.it seems its a shorter list of those that dont have spring forks.

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
4/21/2020 11:32am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 11:33am
280driver wrote:
Yep
I'll be damned. Well, I feel stupid. I guess the choice for two-stroke 250s with spring forks is still kind of limited.
4/21/2020 11:52am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 12:21pm
You don't "have to do that"...especially for "senior class hare scrambles and maybe a little mx if I get brave

I would think multi-time Pro Supercross winner David Pingree just might have a slightly different suspension setup than you, even if he wasn't getting sponsored suspension work from Pro Circuit for his video.

For the record, you also don't have to do the dozen other mods -- engine, wheels, brakes, carbon fiber, plastic, etc in that same video series
captmoto
4/21/2020 12:30pm
You don't [i]"have[/i] to do that"...especially for [i]"senior class hare scrambles and maybe a little mx if I get brave[/i] I would think multi-time Pro Supercross...
You don't "have to do that"...especially for "senior class hare scrambles and maybe a little mx if I get brave

I would think multi-time Pro Supercross winner David Pingree just might have a slightly different suspension setup than you, even if he wasn't getting sponsored suspension work from Pro Circuit for his video.

For the record, you also don't have to do the dozen other mods -- engine, wheels, brakes, carbon fiber, plastic, etc in that same video series
He didn't do wheels, chain/sprockets, bars. I totally agree with you. The air forks are not horrible. Someone like Ping that have been on the elite factory stuff dialed in suspension would never be comfortable on an air fork. And he did say that the WP AER was the best version of an air fork. Jeez, they aren't pogo sticks or steel pipe. I guess if KTM/Husky went with a spring fork, all the Japanese brands would go under. For the record, Yamaha is the only Japanese company out there with an off road 2 stroke.
4/21/2020 12:39pm
captmoto wrote:
He didn't do wheels, chain/sprockets, bars. I totally agree with you. The air forks are not horrible. Someone like Ping that have been on the elite...
He didn't do wheels, chain/sprockets, bars. I totally agree with you. The air forks are not horrible. Someone like Ping that have been on the elite factory stuff dialed in suspension would never be comfortable on an air fork. And he did say that the WP AER was the best version of an air fork. Jeez, they aren't pogo sticks or steel pipe. I guess if KTM/Husky went with a spring fork, all the Japanese brands would go under. For the record, Yamaha is the only Japanese company out there with an off road 2 stroke.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the spring conversion from PC a single sided spring (SFF)?
Spooner
4/21/2020 12:44pm
I honestly really like the spring fork on my new husky 300. Plus with air you can change your spring rate for off road and MX instead of being stuck with one rate for both types of riding.
Sierra Ranger
4/21/2020 3:38pm
You don't [i]"have[/i] to do that"...especially for [i]"senior class hare scrambles and maybe a little mx if I get brave[/i] I would think multi-time Pro Supercross...

I gotcha. All I have ever heard about airforks is that they suck (Keefer). Ping complained about having to bleed them when he's at the track and ready to ride, so I guess I got a bias against them (apparently that's what you have to do, IDK). I'm not a SX racer, but it's hard to swallow the idea of apparently going backwards on front suspension when I buy a new $10k bike. I want something much better than what I have, not worse.
Mossy
4/21/2020 5:59pm
Hey bro give it a shot, it’s always worth trying. You might like them. And if you don’t, you can get them converted to spring and be happy Cool
4/21/2020 6:57pm
Air forks are not as bad as people think. The main disadvantage is that you have air pressures to check before every ride on top of the tires.

Other than that they can be made to work just as well if not better than most spring forks and the reliability issues most people are scared of are virtually nonexistent.
H4L
4/21/2020 7:15pm
My advice is to test ride one 1st. I went on a quest in 17 to upgrade my 15 yr. old CR & was looking at both the euro bikes with air forks after hearing & reading all the hype. In the end I came away disappointed after the test rides since they didn’t live up to the hype.
I didn’t think either bike would’ve been an upgrade & actually felt the opposite (I’d be down grading) IMHO..
Those 04 Showa spring forks on your bike are better than any air forks. There is a reason why so many companies make conversions.
ratonmacias
4/21/2020 10:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 10:49pm
Husky enduro bikes are coil sprung the Cross country ones are air sprung.
Sierra Ranger
4/21/2020 11:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 11:43pm
I began this thread thinking all Huskys and KTMs have air forks, and Japanese bikes are back to springs, but it's getting murky. I guess this is a model-by-model thing?

The whole concept of the Ping Husky vid is that it was minimal mods for Everyman. He goes from switching to spring forks to grip tape and graphics in the next step. Makes it sound like the spring fork switch is...dare I say it... vital.
Motofinne
4/21/2020 11:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 11:59pm
I began this thread thinking all Huskys and KTMs have air forks, and Japanese bikes are back to springs, but it's getting murky. I guess this...
I began this thread thinking all Huskys and KTMs have air forks, and Japanese bikes are back to springs, but it's getting murky. I guess this is a model-by-model thing?

The whole concept of the Ping Husky vid is that it was minimal mods for Everyman. He goes from switching to spring forks to grip tape and graphics in the next step. Makes it sound like the spring fork switch is...dare I say it... vital.
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think it goes like this:

FE/EXC = WP XPLOR spring fork
FX/XC = WP AER air fork

But the AER is a good fork, actually better than some of the spring forks on the market. And i don't want to slag Ping off but i would not take his Racer X (and now Vital) bike builds as gospel. I might be completely wrong but lots of the stuff seems to be sponsored stuff, or just with a limitless budget. The AER is a much better fork than its reputation and most people will not be hindered by it.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
4/22/2020 5:26am
For the record. Ping also said in 2018/17 that the WP suspension by KREFT with revalve control was the best suspension he had ever rode. Air fork that comes stock on KTM/Husky. For what it's worth.

I have KREFT WP air. Its great. But yes you give up some front end feel with any air fork.
4/22/2020 7:44am
Hell my 1989 KX125 had pretty damn good forks especially compared to some of the other offerings. Motor was a dog though.

The conventional fork they used in 1998 was pretty damn good too on the RM's. And they look totally cool!

Bolt-On
Fantasy
1075th
4/22/2020 8:15am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2020 8:17am
Motofinne wrote:
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think it goes like this: FE/EXC = WP XPLOR spring fork FX/XC = WP AER air fork...

FX/XC = WP AER air fork

But the AER is a good fork, actually better than some of the spring forks on the market. And i don't want to slag Ping off but i would not take his Racer X (and now Vital) bike builds as gospel. I might be completely wrong but lots of the stuff seems to be sponsored stuff, or just with a limitless budget. The AER is a much better fork than its reputation and most people will not be hindered by it.
You're correct, but in the USA the only current KTM EXCs are the dual sport models. The KTMs switched from MXC/EXC to XC/XC-W in 2006.

The US version are the XC-Ws, which do have the XPLOR forks. The US Husqvarna TE models also have the XPLOR fork.

So for the USA...

Husqvarna FE/TE, KTM EXC/XC-W = WP XPLOR spring fork

You can get a KTM 250 XC-W or Husqvarna TE250i, and both would have a spring fork. The KTMs have the PDS shock, and the Husqvarna has linkage, and both are a wide gear ratio.
dpingree101
4/22/2020 8:38am
I began this thread thinking all Huskys and KTMs have air forks, and Japanese bikes are back to springs, but it's getting murky. I guess this...

The spring conversion kit isn’t a “must do,” but rather a preference of mine. The air fork works perfectly fine, just doesn’t give me the feel that I like... and I think many agree. I would suggest riding your bike with the stock fork first, and only making changes if there is something you think you could improve upon. The YZ250 comes with a fantastic spring fork, BTW.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
4/22/2020 10:05am
It’s all personal preference. I actually prefer good air forks over spring forks. Loved my AER air forks on my tx300 I had and now love the XACT air forks on my 2020 250xc tpi. On my 2019 yz250f I recently switched it from the stock kyb Sss to the kyb psf1 “A-kit” air forks. Once you understand how to run air forks they air fantastic and the weight savings is a great bonus to them.
Sierra Ranger
4/22/2020 10:27am

The spring conversion kit isn’t a “must do,” but rather a preference of mine. The air fork works perfectly fine, just doesn’t give me the feel...
The spring conversion kit isn’t a “must do,” but rather a preference of mine. The air fork works perfectly fine, just doesn’t give me the feel that I like... and I think many agree. I would suggest riding your bike with the stock fork first, and only making changes if there is something you think you could improve upon. The YZ250 comes with a fantastic spring fork, BTW.
Thanks Ping. We all want the best, but an air fork is probably good enough for a Senior B rider like me. I'll give it a shot. I do love the forks on my old RM though.
4/22/2020 12:48pm

If you want to get even murkier with it, the vast majority of riders prefer the air fork over the XPLOR spring fork, which is a more budget-oriented offering.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
4/22/2020 12:52pm
What about trying Beta or GasGas?
Grovesy98
4/22/2020 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2020 1:20pm
Get a YZ250 with some of the best stock suspension ever made and be very happy Smile
Motofinne
4/22/2020 11:04pm
Motofinne wrote:
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i think it goes like this: FE/EXC = WP XPLOR spring fork FX/XC = WP AER air fork...

FX/XC = WP AER air fork

Bolt-On wrote:
You're correct, but in the USA the only current KTM EXCs are the dual sport models. The KTMs switched from MXC/EXC to XC/XC-W in 2006. The...
You're correct, but in the USA the only current KTM EXCs are the dual sport models. The KTMs switched from MXC/EXC to XC/XC-W in 2006.

The US version are the XC-Ws, which do have the XPLOR forks. The US Husqvarna TE models also have the XPLOR fork.

So for the USA...

Husqvarna FE/TE, KTM EXC/XC-W = WP XPLOR spring fork

You can get a KTM 250 XC-W or Husqvarna TE250i, and both would have a spring fork. The KTMs have the PDS shock, and the Husqvarna has linkage, and both are a wide gear ratio.
Thanks for the correction, the model scheme is a bit of a mess between the continents...

Post a reply to: Do any new (two-stroke) 250cc off-road/mx bikes still have spring forks? Ping?

The Latest