Do XC models work for MX?

Irwinmoto
Fantasy
2428th
2/28/2018 5:55am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 7:44am
I have an 350 xcf and it seems to work fine for me on the mx track, riding vet B. Reason I went with the xcf was I do alot of trails/scrambles and motocross about 50/50 and this seems to be the bike that would work best for both. With the xcf you still get the link suspension and sxf engine. I also have a set of wheels 21/19, sx tank, and remove kickstand for use on the mx track.

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
2/28/2018 6:05am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 6:07am
I ride my 300XC on everything.. Main reason I got the XC is I liked the closer gear ratios for the MX riding..

ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/28/2018 6:37am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 7:18am
I enjoy the KTM and Husky XC and FX models on vet tracks are corner tracks with lots of chatter, but not on a full sized MX track. The 250 and 350 transmissions drive me nuts on a Mx track...

CRF450RX same, quite good in certain tracks.

YZ450FX (transmissions drive me insane for Moto)

In the case of the XC, FX, and RX they’re the Motocross models with 18in rears, softer suspension settings, softer ECU settings, larger fuel tanks, different tires, and sometimes a bit different gearing. Engines are identical internally outside of a possible clutch spring difference. Frames and sub frames are the same...

Considering the wheel size thing and large tank as slight negatives...it mostly just shows lower level riders would be better off running softer suspension settings and riding on a mellower engine mapping (which many bikes come with) on their standard Motocross bike but most can’t wrap their heads around softening up their bikes...
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
2/28/2018 7:23am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2018 7:24am
It definitely varies from bike to bike but my exc-f feels like an mx bike with extra stuff on it. I'm with Michael, I wouldn't want to ride it on gnarly mx tracks but vet tracks and such it'll be a blast. The suspension is too soft to push it like a full on mx bike but it's fun to air out on random offroad stuff I find like below.

" class="img-fluid" />

The Shop

FWYT
2/28/2018 7:47am
I've been riding the crap out of an '04 KTM EXC for several years now. Set up the suspension
for me and it is the best do-it-all bike I've ever owned.
peelout
2/28/2018 8:12am
last time i rode a moto track on my offroader Meg rehydrated California
NorCal 50+
2/28/2018 9:19am
I do recall being passed once on the moto track by a dude with a taillight, so I would say yes. Dizzy
crockett
2/28/2018 9:22am
Trying to decide what bike to put my girlfriend on, and the te150 looks like a good option,she's way over riding a crf150f and the R version is just too small. we ride 50/50 trail and tracks, I have a 16 kx250f sitting there I could adjust for height, she's 5'7 so not too small. But yea, I'm liking the te150 for the weight savings, and thinking it's more than capable for track days .
Forty
2/28/2018 9:42am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I do recall being passed once on the moto track by a dude with a taillight, so I would say yes. Dizzy
Ha! Yep. That happens too. In early 2000s I raced a guy regularly that would ride his licensed wr250 to the race and enter and run that same bike. Sucks being passed and look over and see the plate on the fender. ?
876moto
2/28/2018 5:07pm
Let it be known that I have waited years saving my first post just to pass on the good word of the moto lord. KTM XC 300s are the end all be all of dirt bikes. They work in any situation imaginable.

Would you like to send it on an SX track? Just grow some balls. Then look to the 300.

Have you seen 2 table tops that you think might be great to double? Then just hop on that XC!

Would you like to endo over a log at a local endurocross for all your friends to laugh at? Then the XC 300 cannot be beaten.

It is IN FACT tough enough two handle not just one big burley man, but TWO big burley men. So if that is what you are into, then the XC 300 will even suit that need.

Now I can agree as others have posted, the gearing on a tricky supercross rhythm section is slightly frustrating. The monster would rather rip wide open, instead of being tamed by a steady throttle and careful shifting.

The 18 inch rear tire also does seem to give way and slide a little more than expected when you choose to scrub over big doubles. (Yes, the bike is so awesome that it will in fact increase your scrub. Just the nature of the machine!)

I assure you that if you have enough hair on your peaches to handle the hot, nasty, raw power of ANY KTM XC, then it will work on ANY track or trail ANYwhere.
Johnny Depp
2/28/2018 5:35pm
876moto wrote:
Let it be known that I have waited years saving my first post just to pass on the good word of the moto lord. KTM XC...
Let it be known that I have waited years saving my first post just to pass on the good word of the moto lord. KTM XC 300s are the end all be all of dirt bikes. They work in any situation imaginable.

Would you like to send it on an SX track? Just grow some balls. Then look to the 300.

Have you seen 2 table tops that you think might be great to double? Then just hop on that XC!

Would you like to endo over a log at a local endurocross for all your friends to laugh at? Then the XC 300 cannot be beaten.

It is IN FACT tough enough two handle not just one big burley man, but TWO big burley men. So if that is what you are into, then the XC 300 will even suit that need.

Now I can agree as others have posted, the gearing on a tricky supercross rhythm section is slightly frustrating. The monster would rather rip wide open, instead of being tamed by a steady throttle and careful shifting.

The 18 inch rear tire also does seem to give way and slide a little more than expected when you choose to scrub over big doubles. (Yes, the bike is so awesome that it will in fact increase your scrub. Just the nature of the machine!)

I assure you that if you have enough hair on your peaches to handle the hot, nasty, raw power of ANY KTM XC, then it will work on ANY track or trail ANYwhere.
Perhaps the best 1st post I have seen. Great photos and plenty of macho! Welcome Noob Cool

So that would be a yes!
ktmdan
2/28/2018 5:43pm
876moto wrote:
Let it be known that I have waited years saving my first post just to pass on the good word of the moto lord. KTM XC...

You win
c0ncEpT
2/28/2018 5:54pm
ML512 wrote:
I enjoy the KTM and Husky XC and FX models on vet tracks are corner tracks with lots of chatter, but not on a full sized...
I enjoy the KTM and Husky XC and FX models on vet tracks are corner tracks with lots of chatter, but not on a full sized MX track. The 250 and 350 transmissions drive me nuts on a Mx track...

In the case of the XC, FX, and RX they’re the Motocross models with 18in rears, softer suspension settings, softer ECU settings, larger fuel tanks, different tires, and sometimes a bit different gearing. Engines are identical internally outside of a possible clutch spring difference. Frames and sub frames are the same...

Considering the wheel size thing and large tank as slight negatives...it mostly just shows lower level riders would be better off running softer suspension settings and riding on a mellower engine mapping (which many bikes come with) on their standard Motocross bike but most can’t wrap their heads around softening up their bikes...
My local suspension guy once told me he goes softer on the valving for about 90% of his customers.

I believe it too. Soft is comfortable. Comfortable is fast.
Johnny Depp
2/28/2018 6:08pm
ML512 wrote:
I enjoy the KTM and Husky XC and FX models on vet tracks are corner tracks with lots of chatter, but not on a full sized...

c0ncEpT wrote:
My local suspension guy once told me he goes softer on the valving for about 90% of his customers. I believe it too. Soft is comfortable...
My local suspension guy once told me he goes softer on the valving for about 90% of his customers.

Yep, pretty sure there are more than a few Pro's that run their engines that way too.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
2/28/2018 6:44pm
876moto wrote:

I have about 4 vets that sold there 450f and got the KTM 300! What a fun bike. I might try putting the 19in to get a little advantage for gnar tracks. As far as the suspension, I'm a bigger rider but was able to get diff springs rates and do the rest with the clickers. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap to 80+ on the long straights!
swtwtwtw
2/28/2018 6:53pm
In about 7 years maybe sooner, I am gonna be riding and racing the street legal one here in so cal. Currently, with a few mods, they are more than capable.
2/28/2018 7:21pm
dcg141 wrote:
Actually the XCF is a carbon copy engine wise of the SXF other than a 6th gear in the 250 and 350. IMO that's part of...
Actually the XCF is a carbon copy engine wise of the SXF other than a 6th gear in the 250 and 350. IMO that's part of its issue in tight woods riding. Its a very aggressive engine for single track. My feedback to KTM and Husqvarna has been to add the ignition and DDS clutch from the EXC and keep the SX map and cams. I added a flywheel weight and the DDS clutch to my FX and made it a better woods bike. Out of the crate honestly its more MX than woods.
The perception that MX bikes should have a hit is one I have always questioned. I used to ride a '77 360 VB 2t Montesa with...
The perception that MX bikes should have a hit is one I have always questioned. I used to ride a '77 360 VB 2t Montesa with a 4 spd gearbox and a big flywheel, and it was like cheating. Lots of Pro's prefer a softer power delivery and like to keep it a secret (kinda like their Rekluse auto clutches Woohoo ) But the showroom wheelie popping wisdom is give it a hit, and it will sell. Add a tooth or two to the sprocket out back and let it do some rooster tails. Kinda like riding a wild bull, but give them what they want.
yz133rider wrote:
Yep agreed. Moto mags and most of the public thinks they love a hard hitting motor. All its doing is spinning the tire and tiring you...
Yep agreed. Moto mags and most of the public thinks they love a hard hitting motor. All its doing is spinning the tire and tiring you out. Smooth is fast.
Another example is the new Honda 250F

Mags claim it's weak on power (cause they test at fucking Glen Helen)

Yet one tester here on Vital said his best lap time was with the Honda

"Easier to ride" should equate to faster lap times
2/28/2018 8:14pm
ML512 wrote:

c0ncEpT wrote:
My local suspension guy once told me he goes softer on the valving for about 90% of his customers. I believe it too. Soft is comfortable...

Well said.

Im gonna remember this the next time I send my suspension in.
3/1/2018 12:12am
2014 XC-F 450 absolutely fine as MX bike. In fact, it's 90% the same as the SX-F, only differences being the larger tank, 18' wheel and side stand.

I actually prefer the 18' wheel as it has more traction and it's softer on the bumps.

My next bike will be one of these again.
Tuna
3/1/2018 5:05am
I have pics and video of Tyler Medaglia ripping on a 300XC at the track during a KTM demo ride at my buddies track. He made it look easy but he certainly was not spinning laps as quick as he would on his Factory bike.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
3/1/2018 5:12am
Not an XC but I've read the yz250x is a very capable bike on the track.
ktmdan
3/1/2018 5:31am
My question is, what do people do with their old 300's or even 250xc's?? I've been looking for a used one for months in Texas with no luck...
navalseabee
3/1/2018 5:39am
ktmdan wrote:
My question is, what do people do with their old 300's or even 250xc's?? I've been looking for a used one for months in Texas with...
My question is, what do people do with their old 300's or even 250xc's?? I've been looking for a used one for months in Texas with no luck...
I think its all about the area your in, over here theres a TON of offroad racing and therefore a ton of YZX's, XC's, XC-W's on the used market. If your in an MX dominated area it might be harder to come across one.
876moto
3/1/2018 6:06am
ktmdan wrote:
My question is, what do people do with their old 300's or even 250xc's?? I've been looking for a used one for months in Texas with...
Bro just buy mine! just a short drive across the border, and then another short 12 hr drive and you can come pick it up! Never been raced, and only ridden slow on some trails.Turns out I am not man enough to handle the ultimate power of a fire breathing 300.

Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 6:22am
ktmdan wrote:
People keep them mostly. I've seen plenty go through here, move quickly, they sell fast.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/35/1/Dirt_bike_…
Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 6:24am
ktmdan wrote:
876moto wrote:
[b]Bro[/b] just buy mine! just a short drive across the border, and then another short 12 hr drive and you can come pick it up! Never...
Bro just buy mine! just a short drive across the border, and then another short 12 hr drive and you can come pick it up! Never been raced, and only ridden slow on some trails.Turns out I am not man enough to handle the ultimate power of a fire breathing 300.

By the looks of the sticker on your forks you could deliver..
Bramlett321
3/1/2018 7:19am
ktmdan wrote:
Well here you go friend. 2016 XC 300 with somewhere between 30-40 hours. Suspension sprung for 200# vet woods rider. White plastic, orange plastic, and even blue/black whichever you prefer will come with the bike. Brand new Michelin bibs, ODI's, too much crap to list. Was $6000, Now $5500

ktmdan
3/1/2018 8:08am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 8:28am
Well here you go friend. 2016 XC 300 with somewhere between 30-40 hours. Suspension sprung for 200# vet woods rider. White plastic, orange plastic, and even...
Well here you go friend. 2016 XC 300 with somewhere between 30-40 hours. Suspension sprung for 200# vet woods rider. White plastic, orange plastic, and even blue/black whichever you prefer will come with the bike. Brand new Michelin bibs, ODI's, too much crap to list. Was $6000, Now $5500

Wow! that's exactly what I'm looking for. Can you pm me your email address and we can discuss it?

edit:
Just realized that I don't know how to use the PMs..... Do you have a link to where it is posted for sale or anything?
ktmdan
3/1/2018 8:10am
ktmdan wrote:
I think its all about the area your in, over here theres a TON of offroad racing and therefore a ton of YZX's, XC's, XC-W's on...
I think its all about the area your in, over here theres a TON of offroad racing and therefore a ton of YZX's, XC's, XC-W's on the used market. If your in an MX dominated area it might be harder to come across one.
Thanks for the help everyone. Motodrive really pullin through for me today.

Here in Texas we have TORCS TORO TCCRA TORN TSCEC off the top of my head which seems like a lot to me.
PC
3/1/2018 9:28am

Post a reply to: Do XC models work for MX?

The Latest