Do MX racers ever really retire?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2014 6:58pm
I am currently on comeback number six and it got me thinking "do we really ever retire or do we just take really long breaks?" I'm reminded of the line from the Sopranos "He ain't quit....he just freshenin' up."

For those currently not riding are you really done with riding and racing or are you just freshening up?
|
mxbigd17
4/7/2014 3:43pm
I'm not done, just waiting to heal up 100% or as close as I can get to 100%. I have figured out that money runs out, jobs don't last forever, when your woman wants to leave...she will leave, broken bones an scars heal. But, the one constant in my life has been my bike, and if you don't know the feeling you get when you strap a helmet on and go pin it....you will never understand how I or other riders feel.
EastCoastMx
4/7/2014 4:18pm
So true Rock, we get into this sport and its our life. Things change or injuries / catastrophic events reset priorities. We then go for years without riding and then slowly begin to get back into it. I never sell off my gear, only bikes. I'm on reset 6 so far......
Mickolobe7
4/7/2014 4:30pm
No I dont think we ever retire. Just make changes and heal up our bodes and bank accounts. Im just waiting for my 2 yr old son to get on a pw 50 and Im back at it.
Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1195th
4/7/2014 4:42pm
I just got my dist 17 card after a 31 year break.Got my old number also #254.I hope to make it to a few races this summer.

The Shop

APLMAN99
4/7/2014 4:45pm
You retire from a profession, not a hobby........
RandyS
4/7/2014 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2014 5:02pm
Mickolobe7 wrote:
No I dont think we ever retire. Just make changes and heal up our bodes and bank accounts. Im just waiting for my 2 yr old...
No I dont think we ever retire. Just make changes and heal up our bodes and bank accounts. Im just waiting for my 2 yr old son to get on a pw 50 and Im back at it.
I'm coming up on 4 years off, I got all adult when we found out my wife was pregnant again and I sold my only current bike to a friend(now ex) with the agreement that he paid it in full in Jan 20011 so I'd have a big chunk to go shopping with. Well that didn't happen(Govt. employee, no excuse), I got it in bits and pieces including having to take some things I didn't want over 3 months. With a new baby, wife not going back to work, and starting a new business for her 6 months has turned into coming up on 4 years. The longest of my adult life by about 2 1/2, I've got a 2002 Husky 4 stroke project bike that I hope I'll have done this month and I finally have the time/money to go current bike shopping in the next month or two. My now 3 1/2 year old has a little 50 quad that I'm just about ready to get him started on. He'll get a PW when he's OK on the quad, I've already taught him that quads are only for little kids. My dad a former pro flattracker quit riding when he was 50, I just turned 52 and while I understand things change as you get older that is one thing he will not pass on to me. I figure I've got another 15-20 years in me.
Mr. Info
4/7/2014 5:06pm
Rock I know for a fact some of the riders in the 70's and 80's and 90's up to current who were near or at the top have walked away and been very happy doing so. Some stayed away because of the compettive spirt and they cannot just ride for fun. You don't see Rick Burgett doing local races in Washington if he is still around that area. Around here I don't see Scott Gilman at REM or Tim Lunde or a bunch of others. I think maybe it took to much a toll on health or the mental part took the fun out of it. I guess its time you find all the guys from the past and ask and let us know.
4/7/2014 5:16pm
Started racing at 11 in 1971. Gave it up to go to college at 18.

Bought another bike at 21. Got spooked when Bailey had his accident and was paralyzed. Gave it up at 26.

Did the married life thing until 40 when I had Melanoma and did a year of chemo. Said screw it I'd rather go out on a bike than a hospital bed so I restored a bunch of vintage bikes and started racing again.

6 years later wife said screw it, I'm outta here. Sold all the vintage bikes and took a semi-break for a few years to recover from that financial disaster.

Turned 53 last year, bought a KTM Dungey 450.

Motocross is worse than alcohol, drugs, or sex addiction.Evil
Grizz
4/7/2014 5:20pm
mxbigd17 wrote:
I'm not done, just waiting to heal up 100% or as close as I can get to 100%. I have figured out that money runs out...
I'm not done, just waiting to heal up 100% or as close as I can get to 100%. I have figured out that money runs out, jobs don't last forever, when your woman wants to leave...she will leave, broken bones an scars heal. But, the one constant in my life has been my bike, and if you don't know the feeling you get when you strap a helmet on and go pin it....you will never understand how I or other riders feel.
Off topic, but what exactly am I looking at in your avatar pic? Holy shit that looks painful.
Tim507
4/7/2014 5:34pm
62 years young today and working on a CR 500 AV that has been in storage for several years...yes I'm going to race it with my goal on Vets at GH this November.....last raced in May of 2012 - broke my wrist then and went back to aggressive trail riding.

I laid off from racing several times but the addiction is to much for me....need my fix!!!

Current rides in my garage are a 2 KTM's - Honda 4RT - CR 500 AV.......
zehn
4/7/2014 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2014 7:04pm
I'm done racing until they come out with a safer blood thinner than Coumadin unfortunately, and as a 25 y/o, that's a hard pill to swallow.
ridge
4/7/2014 7:01pm
I will die on a bike (hopefully when I'm a bit older), but I'll never stop riding.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/7/2014 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2014 8:28pm
zehn wrote:
I'm done racing until they come out with a safer blood thinner than Coumadin unfortunately, and as a 25 y/o, that's a hard pill to swallow.
Pun intended, I assume. There are a couple of new alternatives now. Does depend what you are taking it for though. A-fib? Probably PE?
stantdm
4/7/2014 8:33pm
I quit racing in 1991. I still ride and recently my son gave me his old KDX 200 so I putt around the farm pretending I am doing an enduro. I will always have a bike and will always want to race but the Coumadin and pacemaker says Nay Nay to racing as I had and have a tendency to hit the ground every so often..
zehn
4/7/2014 8:49pm
zehn wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Pun intended, I assume. There are a couple of new alternatives now. Does depend what you are taking it for though. A-fib? Probably PE?
I had a stroke at 20. I've got a blood clotting disorder (factor 5 leiden) so I have to take anti-coagulants everyday until I die.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/7/2014 8:59pm
Most often it is a factor 5 issue. My bro in law has it too and had a PE at 22 and has been on it for over 20 years and will be forever. Like I said, there are new options and you don;t have to get PT, INRs. But may not be an option for you. Good luck!
Thelen20
4/8/2014 2:30am
Heck no we don't! . . . Lots of breaks though.

I am 5 months out of my last shoulder surgery (the 3rd operation on the same shoulder, it is the one big injury that motocross has given me). Last time i was on a motocross track was january of 2013 and i have not raced since 2011. This is my 3rd break from moto since i started at 17, i'm 28 now. The breaks were forced one of two factors, time or money! As a wise man once told me, it is almost impossible to have both. All that being said, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK OUT THERE!!!

Been working my bawls off the last few years trying to get ahead. My son is almost 3, has had a pw50 for over a year now. I still have my bike even though it needs a rebuild and i just paid off my toy hauler. We are going racing big time in the near future!!!!!
Bauer
4/8/2014 7:41am
Nice spam, JimL. You officially suck. I mean, the least you could do is address the topic, then slide your bullshit spam in there. Fuck you, douchebag!
crf250pilot
4/8/2014 7:49am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2014 7:50am
Thanks Bauer!, that was needed. total douche move by Jiml. I'm on my third or 4th comeback too. Took the 90's off for school and life and kids, then got my daughter and myself bikes in 01 and have been going at it off and on every since. I'm attempting to get into race shape to compete in some vet races this year and maybe get to Glen Helen Vet nats even.
Redrcr34
4/8/2014 8:14am
I never rode a dirt bike until I was 18. I'm 50 years old. Things come and go. I had motocross before I was married, got the job I wanted, had kids now almost raised, retired from the job and still married. I have quit mx several times but now realize I will probably have a dirt bike until the day I die. It's hard to explain, but I don't think I could ever give up riding unless I was forced to by injury or illness. It's a very special thing to go out and ride a mx track proficiently.
robkinuk
4/8/2014 9:51am
Tim507 wrote:
62 years young today and working on a CR 500 AV that has been in storage for several years...yes I'm going to race it with my...
62 years young today and working on a CR 500 AV that has been in storage for several years...yes I'm going to race it with my goal on Vets at GH this November.....last raced in May of 2012 - broke my wrist then and went back to aggressive trail riding.

I laid off from racing several times but the addiction is to much for me....need my fix!!!

Current rides in my garage are a 2 KTM's - Honda 4RT - CR 500 AV.......
Happy Birthday Tim!
philG
4/8/2014 10:18am
40th season this year, still ride MX for fun , and supermoto as a priority, always been good enough to justify spending the money, but never go to a level where I felt I made it, which is probably why I still ride , because it's easy to stay motivated for mediocrity... That said, I'm points leader in my championship, which if I can win it will be my 2nd title in 2 different countries.

You don't stop cos you get old, you get old because you stop.
The Rock
4/8/2014 11:56am
Redrcr34 wrote:
I never rode a dirt bike until I was 18. I'm 50 years old. Things come and go. I had motocross before I was married, got...
I never rode a dirt bike until I was 18. I'm 50 years old. Things come and go. I had motocross before I was married, got the job I wanted, had kids now almost raised, retired from the job and still married. I have quit mx several times but now realize I will probably have a dirt bike until the day I die. It's hard to explain, but I don't think I could ever give up riding unless I was forced to by injury or illness. It's a very special thing to go out and ride a mx track proficiently.
It's a very special thing to go out and ride a mx track proficiently.

Amen brother. For me it is feeling that flow. I hadn't ridden in 2.5 years last June and went single track riding which was way too much effort and zero flow. Best thing about it was I was riding but it didn't really do it for me juice wise.

Last fall I got to practice on a MX track in early October and got to experience that flow again and WOW! Raced on January 4th and the addiction is in back in full bloom. Hiking two miles a day M-F plus swimming and stretching as much as I can so that I can have as much fun as possible next time I ride which will hopefully be single track again in June. I was so out of shape last year that I want to see if being more flexible changes my impression of single track.
philG
4/8/2014 1:11pm
I never want to be more than 15 minutes away from a medic, the end of the race , and a sit down.
philG
4/8/2014 2:36pm
I never want to be more than 15 minutes away from a medic, the end of the race , and a sit down.
Socket946
4/8/2014 6:00pm
I'm getting back into shape, to make my assault on the Vet D class.

You watch it Rock! You're going DOWN!
mark_swart
4/8/2014 8:27pm
I've tried to quit several times over the years but keep coming back. Each time with more realistic expectations. Each time working harder off the bike but also having more fun, because the older you get the more it's just something you aren't "supposed to do." Screw that. Now at 41, I'm wondering if I can milk it out to the +50 class!
Redrcr34
4/8/2014 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2014 8:42pm
Redrcr34 wrote:
I never rode a dirt bike until I was 18. I'm 50 years old. Things come and go. I had motocross before I was married, got...
The Rock wrote:
[i] It's a very special thing to go out and ride a mx track proficiently.[/i] Amen brother. For me it is feeling that flow. I hadn't...
It's a very special thing to go out and ride a mx track proficiently.

Amen brother. For me it is feeling that flow. I hadn't ridden in 2.5 years last June and went single track riding which was way too much effort and zero flow. Best thing about it was I was riding but it didn't really do it for me juice wise.

Last fall I got to practice on a MX track in early October and got to experience that flow again and WOW! Raced on January 4th and the addiction is in back in full bloom. Hiking two miles a day M-F plus swimming and stretching as much as I can so that I can have as much fun as possible next time I ride which will hopefully be single track again in June. I was so out of shape last year that I want to see if being more flexible changes my impression of single track.
Awesome, that's what it's all about. We are all fortunate to be able to keep doing this. I had a few big get offs though the years and you wonder while healing up if that was your last ride. What a drag it would be to never put on a pair and buckle up my gaerne's to hit the track. I don't play golf or really any other sports.
GarySemics
4/10/2014 5:14pm
I'll be 60 this May, been riding since I was 10. I've never been away from the bike very long at all...maybe 2 months now and then because of injuries. I still feel the best after being on the bike. I think I've been able to do it this long mainly because I know my limits...know where that edge is and not to go over it. Every now and then I have to be reminded by hitting the ground...I hope I remember because it's taking me longer to get back up now a days.

Post a reply to: Do MX racers ever really retire?

The Latest