Disappointed with RMATVs response

WarrenMX
Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 8:51am
Been a loyal customer for a few years now and would hate to know how much money I've given them.

Admittedly, they have good pricing and they deliver on time.

I recently purchased a KTM seat cover which started falling apart after 4 motos. To put things into perspective, I've never returned a single dirt bike part or item ever. I understand that we put a lot of stress on these machines and gear and its just the price we pay to play.

However, on this occasion for some reason it bothered me since it happened so quickly and without any wrecks or undue stress. So I did what I never do and contacted RMATV to see if they would help me out, thinking they would definitely help out a loyal customer.

A week later I get a one line email saying KTM won't warranty the seat cover, tough luck. I'm pretty disappointed with the response. I didn't even expect an outright replacement, but regardless of what KTM said, I expected RMATV to back me up or help me out in some way, even if it was a small discount on a replacement.

This feels like one of those situations in life where you constantly help a buddy out always thinking they have your back, until one day you need their help and they're 'busy' or not answering.

Anyway, bitch sesh over. I still feel extremely privileged to do what we do for fun. First world problems for sure. I'll get over it, but take my business elsewhere Smile

|
slipdog
5/10/2018 2:57pm
I’m going to have to side with them, it’s not their responsibility to take care of that for you. If it was the wrong cover or damaged in transit, then yes, but you got what you ordered at a discount and used it several times...
bird
5/10/2018 3:00pm
Warranties are by the manufacturer (KTM) not the distributor (RM). I handled all the warranty issues for a large pro shop in a different sport for years. I get that you're bummed, but you're taking it out on the wrong business.
5/10/2018 3:04pm
I bought a brand new PC Platinum 2 pipe for my bike a few weeks ago and within an hour of riding put a massive dent in it. Sometimes you just get unlucky. I've had pipes last me years without getting dents.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/10/2018 3:12pm
slipdog wrote:
I’m going to have to side with them, it’s not their responsibility to take care of that for you. If it was the wrong cover or...
I’m going to have to side with them, it’s not their responsibility to take care of that for you. If it was the wrong cover or damaged in transit, then yes, but you got what you ordered at a discount and used it several times...
+1, it sucks to say but if anyone is responsible here it's the seat cover manufacture, say KTM or Selle Dalla Valle.

Not sure if ending your business with Rocky Mountain is called for or putting them on blast here. I can't see any other mail order or shop handling it different. But who knows...

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/10/2018 3:18pm
slipdog wrote:
I’m going to have to side with them, it’s not their responsibility to take care of that for you. If it was the wrong cover or...
+1, it sucks to say but if anyone is responsible here it's the seat cover manufacture, say KTM or Selle Dalla Valle. Not sure if ending...
+1, it sucks to say but if anyone is responsible here it's the seat cover manufacture, say KTM or Selle Dalla Valle.

Not sure if ending your business with Rocky Mountain is called for or putting them on blast here. I can't see any other mail order or shop handling it different. But who knows...
x2 on slip and Joe.

This is a KTM issue, not a RockyMountain issue. You expect RM to warranty something that the manufacture wont? If they did that, they would have been out of business a long time ago.
WarrenMX
5/10/2018 3:22pm
slipdog wrote:
By that logic, if you buy a Sony tv from costco, if you have a problem with it you should go to Sony head office to sort it out and not Costco. I think most people, yourself included would take it back to costco.

mooch
Fantasy
501st
5/10/2018 3:24pm
In my opinion, it's not worth causing an inconvenience for yourself down the road by boycotting one of the best online sellers due to this kind of issue. In my opinion, RMATV is the best for buying online...many times I've received an item a day after I order it and customer service has been great. Plus they give a lot of folks some free fun with RM fantasy SX.

A gripper seat like that will take a lotta stress in the area where it ripped and I don't see that it's RMATV's responsibility to stand behind an issue like that.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?
agn5009
5/10/2018 3:26pm
I ordered a battery from Rocky mountain and it came without the top cover. I contacted them and sent me a new one immediately and told me to just keep the other one. I have nothing but great things to say about them. Realistically, they would have absolutely no way of knowing you didn't crash hard or have the bike fall out of the back of your truck and cause the tears. If you truly have a complaint about the product I would contact the manufacturer anyways.
mooch
Fantasy
501st
5/10/2018 3:28pm
slipdog wrote:
WarrenMX wrote:
By that logic, if you buy a Sony tv from costco, if you have a problem with it you should go to Sony head office to...
By that logic, if you buy a Sony tv from costco, if you have a problem with it you should go to Sony head office to sort it out and not Costco. I think most people, yourself included would take it back to costco.

A TV that sets in your living room isn't really comparable to an MX gripper seat that has been ridden on multiple times.

I've bought a number of items from stores where the paperwork provided with the item indicates to call the manufacturer rather than return to the retailer.
WarrenMX
5/10/2018 3:30pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
x2 on slip and Joe. This is a KTM issue, not a RockyMountain issue. You expect RM to warranty something that the manufacture wont? If they...
x2 on slip and Joe.

This is a KTM issue, not a RockyMountain issue. You expect RM to warranty something that the manufacture wont? If they did that, they would have been out of business a long time ago.
No but I expected them to back me up. They have more clout with KTM than I ever will. If they don't think it's worth pursuing then they could've offered me a gesture of goodwill for my loyalty in order to keep my business.

Businesses like Nordstrom and Costco worked this out decades ago, its way easier to retain a happy customer and sometimes lose some profit every now and then, than losing customers to pesky warranty issues.

Why put your business in the hands of another company's warranty department. Nordstrom and Costco decided not to (along with many other companies), and last I checked, they were doing pretty well.

You're not wrong, and neither are they technically, but it's still poor business management.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/10/2018 3:30pm
slipdog wrote:
WarrenMX wrote:
By that logic, if you buy a Sony tv from costco, if you have a problem with it you should go to Sony head office to...

You're right, but what does costco do? They go back to Sony for the warranty, just like RM did going back to KTM. KTM decided not to warranty it, your issue should be with them.
WarrenMX
5/10/2018 3:36pm
agn5009 wrote:
I ordered a battery from Rocky mountain and it came without the top cover. I contacted them and sent me a new one immediately and told...
I ordered a battery from Rocky mountain and it came without the top cover. I contacted them and sent me a new one immediately and told me to just keep the other one. I have nothing but great things to say about them. Realistically, they would have absolutely no way of knowing you didn't crash hard or have the bike fall out of the back of your truck and cause the tears. If you truly have a complaint about the product I would contact the manufacturer anyways.
You're absolutely right. But they could have also looked at my account and seen how many parts I had bought from them over the years and never returned a single one, and then made a decision and said... this guy has spent thousands of dollars with us and never complained or returned an item, maybe we just give him the benefit of the doubt on this $70 seat cover.

SoCalMX70
5/10/2018 3:37pm
Just going to say it... I feel like people post this shit here just to fish for a response from a rep so they can get the answer they want. In this case, RMATV replied appropriately. It's a seat cover and it's been used. It isn't RMATV's problem. Go to the manufacturer.

RMATV has been amazing to me. ZERO problems with years and years of orders through them. Best prices out there and they occasionally send me gift cards for being a loyal customer.
WarrenMX
5/10/2018 3:40pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
You're right, but what does costco do? They go back to Sony for the warranty, just like RM did going back to KTM. KTM decided not...
You're right, but what does costco do? They go back to Sony for the warranty, just like RM did going back to KTM. KTM decided not to warranty it, your issue should be with them.
Costco would give you a new tv regardless of whether Sony decides to warranty it or not. Costco knows that not every single item that is returned will be covered by the manufacturers warranty, but they do it anyway to keep you as a customer.

Sure some people take advantage of those situations but RMATV can see my entire order history and make an easy assessment to see if I'm one of those people or not.
Brent
5/10/2018 3:43pm
I have these Selle Della Valle FE seat covers on both KTMs I own and no issues close to 30 hours each bike? RM ATV has always been great for me...
WarrenMX
5/10/2018 3:45pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Just going to say it... I feel like people post this shit here just to fish for a response from a rep so they can get...
Just going to say it... I feel like people post this shit here just to fish for a response from a rep so they can get the answer they want. In this case, RMATV replied appropriately. It's a seat cover and it's been used. It isn't RMATV's problem. Go to the manufacturer.

RMATV has been amazing to me. ZERO problems with years and years of orders through them. Best prices out there and they occasionally send me gift cards for being a loyal customer.
I'd have said exactly the same thing a week ago so I can't fault your response.

I've felt exactly the same as you about RMATV for years. But this is also why I'm disappointed with how they handled it. Like I said, I always kind of thought they would have my back if a problem arose.

WarrenMX
5/10/2018 3:52pm
Brent wrote:
I have these Selle Della Valle FE seat covers on both KTMs I own and no issues close to 30 hours each bike? RM ATV has...
I have these Selle Della Valle FE seat covers on both KTMs I own and no issues close to 30 hours each bike? RM ATV has always been great for me...
Good to know. I'm pretty sure the one I got was a dud. It's not actually torn, the stitching is just coming undone. I know stitching won't last forever, but I'd hope it would last longer than 4 motos.
make1go
5/10/2018 3:54pm
once i read "the amount I HAVE GIVEN THEM" You havent given them anything, youve had business transactions and comparing costco with rmatv? again whack thinking, you want personal service? go bricks and morta, form a personal relationship with the staff/owner....i rarely say this but milenial entitlement fer sur..
agn5009
5/10/2018 3:57pm

That is the conversation I was having with RM as I'm reading this. Top notch customer service.
rob162
5/10/2018 4:37pm
Nope. I most of the time feel like the people that complain are in the wrong but im gonna have to agree with the OP. If ktm wouldnt look at that and replace the defective cover RM should have stepped up and did somthing for him. Doesnt matter if its a simple 10-20% off or replaceing the cover. Its poor customer service on both KTM and RM part. I think RM is a great company to work with. Ive had issues were they sent me the wrong part and it was hell getting them to exchange it also had a sprokets tooth chip of first ride and they replaced it no questions asked.

My recommendation is call back ask to speak with Kylie she seems to know how to work around issues and get shit straight. She did for me atleast.
5/10/2018 4:43pm
I for one never stick up for any company. However, Rocky mountain is my go to business for 100% of my purchases. Many thousands a year. Always perfect on time orders with the best price. Just got my new michellins in today.
Sometimes you order shit products. Sometimes you have to eat the cost. Especially if already used.
TeamGreen
5/10/2018 4:56pm
I get what the OP is saying; but, this is on KTM.

I'd contact KTM.
Frank
5/10/2018 4:59pm
Just because I spend $5,000+ a year with RMATV does not obligate them to warranty the quality or the specifications of the products they sell. They don't make the stuff - they are only re-sellers. Just a big shipping and receiving company like many others. I have been burned many times ordering things listed for the bike I am ordering for only to find out they don't fit. Word to the wise - don't buy anything you are not going to bolt up within 30 days as they won't do anything for you if beyond the 30 day return policy. Always shop around as there are many other options for your hard earned dollars.
gt80rider
5/10/2018 5:07pm
I too have been a big customer of theirs for years.... Well until a couple weeks ago... They totally fucked up a shoei order of mine, then really didn't care if I was a customer or not... Yup, I am done with them, plenty of other places to buy from...
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/10/2018 5:21pm
WarrenMX wrote:
Been a loyal customer for a few years now and would hate to know how much money I've given them. Admittedly, they have good pricing and...
Been a loyal customer for a few years now and would hate to know how much money I've given them.

I recently purchased a KTM seat cover which started falling apart after 4 motos. To put things into perspective, I've never returned a single dirt bike part or item ever. I understand that we put a lot of stress on these machines and gear and its just the price we pay to play.

However, on this occasion for some reason it bothered me since it happened so quickly and without any wrecks or undue stress. So I did what I never do and contacted RMATV to see if they would help me out, thinking they would definitely help out a loyal customer.

A week later I get a one line email saying KTM won't warranty the seat cover, tough luck. I'm pretty disappointed with the response. I didn't even expect an outright replacement, but regardless of what KTM said, I expected RMATV to back me up or help me out in some way, even if it was a small discount on a replacement.

This feels like one of those situations in life where you constantly help a buddy out always thinking they have your back, until one day you need their help and they're 'busy' or not answering.

Anyway, bitch sesh over. I still feel extremely privileged to do what we do for fun. First world problems for sure. I'll get over it, but take my business elsewhere Smile

Judging by the abrasion on the top of the torn rib, and the second abrasion on the rib behind it, it looks as though there was some sort of impact that caused the tear. This is probably the conclusion of RM and KTM.
bvm111
5/10/2018 5:23pm
slipdog wrote:
Bingo!
agn5009
5/10/2018 5:26pm
WarrenMX wrote:
Been a loyal customer for a few years now and would hate to know how much money I've given them. Admittedly, they have good pricing and...

early wrote:
Judging by the abrasion on the top of the torn rib, and the second abrasion on the rib behind it, it looks as though there was...
Judging by the abrasion on the top of the torn rib, and the second abrasion on the rib behind it, it looks as though there was some sort of impact that caused the tear. This is probably the conclusion of RM and KTM.
Yepper.
WarrenMX
5/10/2018 5:27pm
early wrote:
Judging by the abrasion on the top of the torn rib, and the second abrasion on the rib behind it, it looks as though there was...
It might be a bad photo but it's actually not torn. The stitching is just coming out, and the hole you see is where the rib goes under the cover. That particular rib takes the most stress as that is where my butt is on acceleration. But the point of the rib is to keep your butt in place so it shouldn't breakdown so easily. I would fully expect it to wear out eventually, just not after 4 motos.
ttugrad1793
5/10/2018 5:30pm
agree with most everyone - you have no reason to complain.

BUT....if it were my company....I'd have just said "What would you like me to do? Oh, you want $10 off a replacement seat cover? DEAL."

Customer is happy, he keeps spending, and life goes on. However, I doubt the CEO is the one responding to your emails. :-)
BS12
5/10/2018 5:42pm
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Post a reply to: Disappointed with RMATVs response

The Latest