Disability insurance for a dental student

chip341
Hello, excuse my ignorance if this topic already has a thread. I'm new to this site and still figuring it out. I'm a 4th year dental student about to graduate with a boatload of debt. I grew up riding and racing and have hopes of continuing riding. I am curious what companies out there offer good own occupation insurance plans. (Hopefully i will never need it)
Thanks in advance
|
davermz450
2/23/2021 6:11am
I am a dentist and ride. One of the questions is something like, "do you RACE motorcycles, skydive or fly planes". I ride but I dont race so I answered no. I have guardian and 2 years after I graduated I crashed hard and broke both my legs and neck. I was able to use my benefits. I hate insurance but I have to give credit to guardian for making it a pretty easy process. Feel free to reach out if you want to chat more dreccker@gmail.com
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
2/23/2021 6:35am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2021 6:36am
davermz450 wrote:
I am a dentist and ride. One of the questions is something like, "do you RACE motorcycles, skydive or fly planes". I ride but I dont...
I am a dentist and ride. One of the questions is something like, "do you RACE motorcycles, skydive or fly planes". I ride but I dont race so I answered no. I have guardian and 2 years after I graduated I crashed hard and broke both my legs and neck. I was able to use my benefits. I hate insurance but I have to give credit to guardian for making it a pretty easy process. Feel free to reach out if you want to chat more dreccker@gmail.com
I just got an additional 500k insurance policy last Spring. When I was asked about that question with skydiving, flying, or racing motorcycles I questioned the race part and they asked if I race professionally, which I obviously do not LOL

I can't say that is the case for every insurance company, but that was AIG's criteria in determining whether I race motorcycles or not.
deadlo
2/23/2021 7:14am
chip341 wrote:
Hello, excuse my ignorance if this topic already has a thread. I'm new to this site and still figuring it out. I'm a 4th year dental...
Hello, excuse my ignorance if this topic already has a thread. I'm new to this site and still figuring it out. I'm a 4th year dental student about to graduate with a boatload of debt. I grew up riding and racing and have hopes of continuing riding. I am curious what companies out there offer good own occupation insurance plans. (Hopefully i will never need it)
Thanks in advance
What dental school are you at? Don’t stop riding haha. I was told all through dental school to stop, now I’m a dentist in the army with pretty much the same risks if I ever do get injured. Keep us updated on who you choose. I’ll be getting out of the army soon and in the same boat.
2/23/2021 7:40am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2021 7:41am
Dr. Gerrit Wolsink was a dentist and Grand Prix MX racer so you are in good company. Just don’t do fillings while riding a hover board.

The Shop

Panic_Rev
2/23/2021 8:24am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2021 8:25am
I've been in the industry for 15+ years and I also do seminars at our local medical school. Northwestern Mutual has the best disability contract especially with their medical definition. I also use Guardian and they are great. Guardian is typically cheaper than Northwestern Mutual, but I don't advise basing your decision on financial instruments solely on price. Feel free to reach out and I can send you some literature.
captmoto
2/23/2021 8:46am
I laid off for a year of probation for my FD job. I then laid off after I was married and started having kids. I couldn't see me getting laid up hurt with kids under 3 years old. Get the insurance but don't lose sight of what you have been through to get a career going.
JustMX
2/23/2021 10:28am
Dr. Gerrit Wolsink was a dentist and Grand Prix MX racer so you are in good company. Just don’t do fillings while riding a hover board.
Don't want to get off topic, but I have always kind of wondered if he practiced dentistry much while he was a contender for Gp titles.
50dippin
2/23/2021 10:37am
I had a neck injury my first year of dental school and was unable to get disability from most companies. TDIC has a no questions asked general disability insurance that I signed up for, I think the max benefit is $8k a month but its better than nothing. Once I get past the 10 year mark I will probably apply again since I can answer no to the 10 year injury/denial questions.
chip341
2/23/2021 11:52am
Thank you everyone for your advice/replies. I'm finishing up school at Boston University and I'll be practicing back in NH beginning this summer. I will definitely look into Guardian, NW mutual and AIG. Luckily I've made it this far without any serious injuries so hopefully that can work in my favor when applying.

Best wishes
M1000
2/23/2021 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2021 12:07pm
My dentist was in unfortunate accident. He had his arms amputated. Ended his career. Thankfully he had disability insurance. He now has prosthetic arms and Is cattle rancher.
Panic_Rev
2/23/2021 1:22pm
50dippin wrote:
I had a neck injury my first year of dental school and was unable to get disability from most companies. TDIC has a no questions asked...
I had a neck injury my first year of dental school and was unable to get disability from most companies. TDIC has a no questions asked general disability insurance that I signed up for, I think the max benefit is $8k a month but its better than nothing. Once I get past the 10 year mark I will probably apply again since I can answer no to the 10 year injury/denial questions.
This information will be in the medical information bureau and the new company will find the information immediately even if answered "no." If a couple of years have passed with no issues I would recommend applying sooner than later. You will most likely get a rider added to the policy excluding your neck. A good company will only exclude disabilities of the neck resulting in causes from the pre-existing conditions. Ex. if you were in a car crash and had a neck injury unrelated to the previous injury it will payout.

I have riders on arm, leg, racing activities.
katoom350
2/23/2021 5:40pm
I’m a dentist, have been out for almost 11 years now. I still ride and race. I work in public health..prison dentistry. The company I work for has disability insurance they offer. Some other public health gigs do as well. If you’re going to be buying a practice and take out another loan, they’ll probably want you to have some sort of insurance. Nice to see other dentists on here. Just ride smart/ slow down when you’re tired. Congrats on finishing up school!

Post a reply to: Disability insurance for a dental student

The Latest