Dirt Bike Prices

3/22/2020 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2020 10:51am
Guys, what are your thoughts on what this will do to the prices in the next few weeks? Stay the same? Go down?

I planned on buying in late spring since I can’t ride until then (recovering from my slap repair) but do you see a reduction in price based on the fact I’m sure there has been a decrease in sales?

Just wondering!
|
Chance1216
3/22/2020 9:05pm
It won’t matter if we don’t have jobs .
GCBC
3/22/2020 9:24pm
some of my thoughts..

Theres going to be huge sale on new and left overs, (Im looking to spend 6200ish on a 20 150sx when best I could find was 6850 at xmas).
Used bikes are going to be the same for a few reasons...

-the guys who can afford a new bike on sale or not are going to get a new bike regardless or wait until next year and ride what they have.
-the guys who had to sell due to $ problems sold their bikes to a flipper who is going to wait it out and sell for current fair pricing or a guy who will ride it for a while, these guys won't be riding this year likely, certainly not on a new bike regardless of the sale prices or 0% financing.
-Lets face it most guys riding mx are not wealthy and this unbelievably shitty situation we are all in is going to have the majority of guys riding their current bikes this year. I think there's going to be a STACK of 20' leftovers for this coming xmas if.dealers don't all reopen with ~5-10% above that "leftover" price and get their inventory to slowly start moving.
Or offer 12mo 0% financing on a unsecured LOC to anyone with a pulse.....

3/22/2020 9:28pm
Haven't considered what it will do to brand new bikes, but there will definitely be some cheap second hand bikes around. Was thinking this morning while I was at the track that this could lead to people selling some nice rare/vintage bikes.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/22/2020 9:28pm
I think the used bike market will be flooded in the coming months. If things get tight for working families the first thing that goes is usually the toys. Although I’m sure some in here will sell off the wife/kids, car, house etc before parting with their bikes.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
3/22/2020 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2020 10:13pm
That new CRF could be pushed a year. No hate coms.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
3/22/2020 11:03pm
689 wrote:
Haven't considered what it will do to brand new bikes, but there will definitely be some cheap second hand bikes around. Was thinking this morning while...
Haven't considered what it will do to brand new bikes, but there will definitely be some cheap second hand bikes around. Was thinking this morning while I was at the track that this could lead to people selling some nice rare/vintage bikes.
The guys selling bikes wont be the guys with rare/vintage bikes it will be the guys who are making payments on a modern bike that they now cant afford when they are out of work. Sad
Sachmo831
3/23/2020 12:04am
I'm looking to buy a new yz450, but that's on hold for the time being. With the uncertainty of what each day brings I would bet a lot of guys are waiting this out.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
3/23/2020 12:40am
Sachmo831 wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new yz450, but that's on hold for the time being. With the uncertainty of what each day brings I would bet...
I'm looking to buy a new yz450, but that's on hold for the time being. With the uncertainty of what each day brings I would bet a lot of guys are waiting this out.
If you have the disposable income, please do. Dealers are/will be dying so support them if you can. This is going to be a bumpy ride for everyone.
sandtrack315
3/23/2020 4:35am
This is a great time to buy anything. If you want to be helpful, buy now. If you want the best deal, wait a few weeks.
Natester551v
3/23/2020 7:23am
Insert comment about the US President....caveat remark with "the last thing I want to do is get into a heated political argument".

Pretty lame....I can't stand Trudeau, but I don't post about him on Vital. And it always rubs me the wrong way when someone states something offensive, then attempts to shut down anyone who disagrees....

Leave politics out of it completely, or stand up like a man an live with the consequences (like the inevitable trip to the Dumbgeon).
kijen
3/23/2020 7:24am
Fantasy is thinking we will contain this no matter what we do. Ask yourself, is the common cold contained, is the common flu contained? How billions are spent on cures for everything else. Arrogance of mankind is thinking they can control nature, or themselves. politics have nothing to do with it.
sandtrack315
3/23/2020 7:34am
kijen wrote:
Fantasy is thinking we will contain this no matter what we do. Ask yourself, is the common cold contained, is the common flu contained? How billions...
Fantasy is thinking we will contain this no matter what we do. Ask yourself, is the common cold contained, is the common flu contained? How billions are spent on cures for everything else. Arrogance of mankind is thinking they can control nature, or themselves. politics have nothing to do with it.
Yea, you're wrong man.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
3/23/2020 8:23am
kijen wrote:
Fantasy is thinking we will contain this no matter what we do. Ask yourself, is the common cold contained, is the common flu contained? How billions...
how many times in your lifetime were you asked to self isolate to stop the spread of common cold or flu? probably zero. If you can't understand how distancing ourselves from others for a few weeks will help you probably voted for Joe Exotic for governor of FL.
Spooner
3/23/2020 9:32am
I'm a rep in the moto industry and so far the shops have still been pretty busy in my area. This week I'm sure things will slow quite a bit but farmers still need to get out there and people are buying bikes and accessories. I think it helps too that its still very early in the spring so shops aren't usually super slammed just yet. Assuming things start going back to normal in the next month or so things should start hopping again. Nobody really knows what the future holds though so all I we can do is be hopeful that it gets back to normal sooner than later because we will lose a number of shops and smaller suppliers if it goes on very long.
jbrown15
3/23/2020 9:39am
I feel like the 08 recession is going to seem like a little speed bump compared to the mountain sized one that’s coming right now.

I was about a week away from buying a new bike and I’m very thankful I didn’t buy it when I was going too.
Spooner
3/23/2020 9:45am
jbrown15 wrote:
I feel like the 08 recession is going to seem like a little speed bump compared to the mountain sized one that’s coming right now. I...
I feel like the 08 recession is going to seem like a little speed bump compared to the mountain sized one that’s coming right now.

I was about a week away from buying a new bike and I’m very thankful I didn’t buy it when I was going too.
Yeah I bought a new husky a week ago and that wasn't probably the smartest thing in the world lol!
skeef
Fantasy
1571st
3/23/2020 9:59am
GCBC wrote:
some of my thoughts.. Theres going to be huge sale on new and left overs, (Im looking to spend 6200ish on a 20 150sx when best...
some of my thoughts..

Theres going to be huge sale on new and left overs, (Im looking to spend 6200ish on a 20 150sx when best I could find was 6850 at xmas).

-the guys who can afford a new bike on sale or not are going to get a new bike regardless or wait until next year and ride what they have.
-the guys who had to sell due to $ problems sold their bikes to a flipper who is going to wait it out and sell for current fair pricing or a guy who will ride it for a while, these guys won't be riding this year likely, certainly not on a new bike regardless of the sale prices or 0% financing.
-Lets face it most guys riding mx are not wealthy and this unbelievably shitty situation we are all in is going to have the majority of guys riding their current bikes this year. I think there's going to be a STACK of 20' leftovers for this coming xmas if.dealers don't all reopen with ~5-10% above that "leftover" price and get their inventory to slowly start moving.

Don't expect thousands or even hundreds off on new bikes. The invoice price that we dealers pay for new bikes is laughable.

Although, to your point. I will provide with reasons new bike prices COULD drop.

-Rebates. I can definitely see most OEM's offering pretty large factory rebates in the coming month.
-Shops that own their building and have generally low overhead may start knocking prices down considerably. (To maintain units sold targets) Normally small single owner, single OEM type shop.
-There is wind coming about forgiveness programs from certain OEM's. Don't know how it will look for us, may only benefit people interested in finance.

You are spot on with financing, in the past couple days I have seen people with 'not good' credit get pretty low rates.

Indy mxer
3/23/2020 10:13am
Comparing us to Italy is apples and oranges. They didn't get ahead of it at all, and they have a very old population. Plus geogrphically we're much more spread out. Some states have no virus.

And I agree with our president. Do the best we can for a few weeks then re-evaluate. Doing this for too long will do much more damage than the virus.

Also, stop criticizing our president or our politics. You don't live here. Your opinion doesn't matter.
r.sal923
3/23/2020 10:18am
Chance1216 wrote:
It won’t matter if we don’t have jobs .
Haha. That made me spit my coffee all over my phone. So true.
Indy mxer
3/23/2020 10:24am
GCBC wrote:
some of my thoughts.. Theres going to be huge sale on new and left overs, (Im looking to spend 6200ish on a 20 150sx when best...
some of my thoughts..

skeef wrote:
Don't expect thousands or even hundreds off on new bikes. The invoice price that we dealers pay for new bikes is laughable. Although, to your point...
Don't expect thousands or even hundreds off on new bikes. The invoice price that we dealers pay for new bikes is laughable.

Although, to your point. I will provide with reasons new bike prices COULD drop.

-Rebates. I can definitely see most OEM's offering pretty large factory rebates in the coming month.
-Shops that own their building and have generally low overhead may start knocking prices down considerably. (To maintain units sold targets) Normally small single owner, single OEM type shop.
-There is wind coming about forgiveness programs from certain OEM's. Don't know how it will look for us, may only benefit people interested in finance.

You are spot on with financing, in the past couple days I have seen people with 'not good' credit get pretty low rates.

You make some good points. But I think if we can get back to normal soon and people have the money from the government, most retail businesses will be very busy.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
3/23/2020 10:34am
Hopefully people selling 15-20 yr old 125 2-strokes will stop asking $2500 for them..
LittleDragon
Fantasy
1945th
3/23/2020 10:42am
GCBC wrote:
some of my thoughts..

skeef wrote:
Don't expect thousands or even hundreds off on new bikes. The invoice price that we dealers pay for new bikes is laughable. Although, to your point...

Indy mxer wrote:
You make some good points. But I think if we can get back to normal soon and people have the money from the government, most retail...
You make some good points. But I think if we can get back to normal soon and people have the money from the government, most retail businesses will be very busy.
We do not have a choice to get “back to normal soon.” I mean of course we could get back to normal soon but do you understand this works?
Excaliburbmx
3/23/2020 10:48am
kijen wrote:
Arrogance would also thinking you can control the climate.
3/23/2020 10:57am
I believe the OEMs wont release 2021 models this year, we will see some discounts of current models pending available stocks.

Private sale of used bike will be a case of the right place at the right time to catch a bargain, some one else's misfortune.
BigBoreFan58
3/23/2020 11:04am
kijen wrote:
soggy wrote:
how many times in your lifetime were you asked to self isolate to stop the spread of common cold or flu? probably zero. If you can't...
how many times in your lifetime were you asked to self isolate to stop the spread of common cold or flu? probably zero. If you can't understand how distancing ourselves from others for a few weeks will help you probably voted for Joe Exotic for governor of FL.
Joe Exotic ran in Oklahoma.
3/23/2020 11:47am
I’m looking to pick up a 110 when this all blows over. Hopefully I can help a dealer out a bit.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
3/23/2020 12:23pm
Not that many have talked about it, but how about the fact that dealerships aren't considered an essential business outside of parts and service?

I follow a couple 5th Gen Ram boards, and it sounds like the new sales side is closing down rapidly.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/23/2020 12:58pm
jbrown15 wrote:
I feel like the 08 recession is going to seem like a little speed bump compared to the mountain sized one that’s coming right now. I...

Spooner wrote:
Yeah I bought a new husky a week ago and that wasn't probably the smartest thing in the world lol!
I like your optimism 👍
Enjoy that new beautiful Husky
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
3/23/2020 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 1:01pm
avidchimp wrote:
Not that many have talked about it, but how about the fact that dealerships aren't considered an essential business outside of parts and service? I follow...
Not that many have talked about it, but how about the fact that dealerships aren't considered an essential business outside of parts and service?

I follow a couple 5th Gen Ram boards, and it sounds like the new sales side is closing down rapidly.
That surprises me. Transportation is key to getting essential workers to their job. Hospitals, food stores etc.
if a worker needs their vehicles worked on or need a new vehicle there needs to be places to go for the service/sales. If Newsome closes dealers down and leaves the cannabis clubs (which he deems essential) open he needs to be sent home

Post a reply to: Dirt Bike Prices

The Latest